Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Words you've read wrong in your head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:24pm
Yacht........Yaa-chet
Back from the dead...
Sponsored Links

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 4:16pm
Louisiana, Washington, and Oregon all rank in the lower half of educational achievement in the US.  Louisiana is closer to 50.  So, really...should we be looking to the natives of these states for their pronunciations?

Then again, don't pay attention to what I say on this subject.  I'm in California.  California's dumb as dirt.

I read that, of the 50 states, Louisiana ranked 50th in math scores...but Mississippi came in 51st.Wink
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Skerl,

I'm old and naive (by the way I thought that was pronounced, "NAVE".  Where does it come from?

Clerks.  (The weird Russian dude says something like "Skerlnik" in response to some question. )  There's even a .wav file out there of it....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

...but Mississippi came in 51st.Wink

Of course, they'd think that was great---so great that it's off the charts.  And hell, the higher the number, the better, right?

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 5:44pm
Now, Thor, remember your grammar in that situation...it's 'The more higherer, the more betterer.'LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

Now, Thor, remember your grammar in that situation...it's 'The more higherer, the more betterer.'LOL

Right now, in my head, I'm hearing that scruffy little 10 y/o pre-truckdriver girl from the Publisher's Clearinghouse commercial, saying that.

In case you don't remember, she's the one who, when her parents or whatever were presented with a check for 10 grand, exclaims "Ah thoat it wuz a gimmick...but it oin't".

edit:  Here it is!!  Isn't the internet magnificent?

BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 6:43pm
New Berlin, Wisconsin= Bear-lynn, not burrlin

Louisville, Nebraska= Louis-ville, not looie-ville

Papillion, Nebraska=  Pap-ill-yon, not pappy-yon.

GIF (file format for graphics):  for years I thought this was pronounced like the peanut butter.

If I remember correctly....Arkansas River:  if you are in Arkansas it is pronoucned like the state.  If you are in Kansas (not surprisingly) it is pronounced ar-Kansas.

Missouri=  Northern part of the state it is mizz-oo-ree.   Southern part of the state it is mizz-oo-rah.

Quebec= kah-beck

BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:41am
Here is a list of the most commonly mispronounced words in the English language.  Very interesting stuff, if you're into that kinda thing.
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 2:23am
My grandmother used to pronounce the phrase "go to" as "goat", and the word "toilet" as "TOE'let", so she would frequently say something like:

"Excuse me, I need to goat the tolet".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic