Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What pisses you off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The reason the soda is tossed is because each item would have to be cleaned and inspected (for expiration date) before donating it. It would actually cost the manufacturer. Not worth it, considering they'd still be liable.

Hard to understand how something vacuum sealed inside an aluminum can could have expiration, spoilage or contamination issues.

As for cleaning the cans, whoever it was donated to could rinse them off.

Certainly if it can be done with boxes of cookies and crackers...

Buncha corporate weenie jerks.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:24pm
I think soda loses carbonation or flavor or something. I know diet soda has a much shorter shelf life.

But there's all sorts of rules re donations of food. I don't even think they're draconian, but maybe some companies just don't wanna take the chance.

I remember in SF, homeless advocates challenging the McDonalds across from Golden Gate Park re their refusal to let homeless people have their leftover food. It was because they got sued! Some homeless person supposedly got sick and sued McDonalds. The company decided it just wasn't worth it.

Like Judge People's Court says, no good deed goes unpunished.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 11:51pm
Yes, soda like anything else, will eventually go bad if you keep it long enough and depending on the conditions, like heat, humidity, etc.

But it takes a loooooooong time.

And it doesn't actually become unsafe to consume.

Like you said, it loses it's fizz and maybe doesn't taste as good.

It doesn't even have an expiration or use by date, but rather a "best by" date. But even that isn't cast in stone.

You can probably still enjoy it months or even over a year afterward.

It's just a waste no matter how they try to justify it.

I hope they at least drain the cans and bottles and recycle the aluminum and plastic.

Buncha jerks.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 1:31am
Beer can become skunky, so maybe soda can as well?
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

Beer can become skunky, so maybe soda can as well?

So you're saying that if someone has a can of Billy Beer in their refrigerator, they probably shouldn't drink it?

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 1:17am
Probably. I haven't had a beer in 30 years, so maybe I wouldn't even know the beer was indeed skunky! 😁
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 2:02am
I started drinking beer one night a week about a year or so ago.

Saturday nights I get a 4 pack of 16 oz cans of something called "Steel Reserve".

It's a "high gravity" lager whatever that means.

But it's got 8.1% alcohol, so I can't even drink all four of them.

Two maybe three and I get a nice buzz.

Save the rest for next Saturday.

I think there's a brand that has 8.8% alcohol.

Like Marj, I hadn't had a beer in about 30 years.

Figured "What the hell?"

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:03am
Walking the dogs around the neighbourhood recently and what do I see? Freaking Halloween decorations. People, it is mid-August! Halloween is not for another two months! Just because stores already have Halloween decorations on display doesn't mean you need to put yours out!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:07am
Jimbo - when I was a teenager, we would have an older person buy us kids beer called Old Stock - then we would sit on the banks of the river drinking beer through a straw to get really drunk! Hah! Kids these days don't know what they are missing!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 7:04pm

Walking the dogs around the neighbourhood recently and what do I see? Freaking Halloween decorations. People, it is mid-August! Halloween is not for another two months! Just because stores already have Halloween decorations on display doesn't mean you need to put yours out!

That's too early.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 9:54pm

Some people live for holidays. Those same people will have their Christmas lights up before Thanksgiving.

Walmart has an entire department called "Seasonal". The shelves in that department need to be constantly filled so as not to look like the Soviet Union circa 1960. That's why, in stores, one holiday runs into the next (money-spending holidays, that is). That doesn't mean we have to follow suit.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 1:41am
I just get pissed seeing Halloween sh*t mid-August! It is still summer people! Until I get to bring out my long sleeved sweaters and jeans, it is still freaking summer!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 3:01am

I just get pissed seeing Halloween sh*t mid-August! It is still summer people! Until I get to bring out my long sleeved sweaters and jeans, it is still freaking summer!

There are several groups on Facebook dedicated to Halloween (and probably every other holiday) where people boast about their fanatical devotion to it.

Some people claim that they leave their decorations up all year.

They post memes to that effect as well.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 2:44am
^^ I feel holidays are running into one another - Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are now just a blur in my mind!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:35am

^ Working in retail, I get that really bad. "Back to school" starts in June, Halloween in July, Christmas in August, etc.

This year, it's especially bad. Since the supply chain started clearing out in June, we've been getting what should have been last year's Christmas gifts, mainly toys, which we have clogging our aisles on sale at 25-75% off.

News articles say we can expect this "inventorry glut" for several quarters. We actually had to rent 20 trailers to accomodate all this garbage.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 1:42pm

^^ I feel holidays are running into one another - Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are now just a blur in my mind!

Pretty much the same with me.

I call October through New Year's Day "the festive season".

Still my favorite time of year though.

^ Working in retail, I get that really bad. "Back to school" starts in June, Halloween in July, Christmas in August, etc.

Around here it's not quite that bad.

Halloween stuff starts hitting the shelves in some stores (Dollar Tree mainly) in August. Christmas stuff might start showing up in October.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Around here it's not quite that bad.

Halloween stuff starts hitting the shelves in some stores (Dollar Tree mainly) in August. Christmas stuff might start showing up in October.

What I meant was that, if you're actually working in retail, you see that the holiday stuff starts coming in weeks before the buying public sees it on the shelves.

We actually started getting Christmas stuff in last month.

I always like to say that, by Halloween, I'm sick of Christmas.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 5:57pm

What I meant was that, if you're actually working in retail, you see that the holiday stuff starts coming in weeks before the buying public sees it on the shelves.

We actually started getting Christmas stuff in last month.

I always like to say that, by Halloween, I'm sick of Christmas.

Ah.

You weren't very clear on that.

But re: working in retail, I did a good bit of that back in the late 70's while I was in college.

Montgomery Ward, JC Penney and Sears, all three, and in that order.

One year at Penny's, I transferred into the receiving dept in October.

The Christmas stuff was coming in heavy by then.

I remember this one trailer we unloaded that was literally packed from front to back and floor to ceiling with bicycles.

Still in the box, mostly unassembled of course.

The boxes were laying flat and packed in so tightly you couldn't have slipped a credit card between them.

And they came right up to the back doors of the trailer.

We really busted our asses on that one.

Come November, most of the merchandise was in, so they put me in a little room where I was in charge of assembling all the lay away bikes.

I must've assembled a couple of hundred bikes in two or three weeks.

Did a few repairs, too.

That was actually kind of fun.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:33pm

Ahh, yes. We had an assembly department...mainly for bikes, but also grills and some other stuff. It was manned by Eugene, a Vietnam vet, and John, a mechanic whose diabetes prevented him from being on his feet (his bones break easily) and was able to sit while he assembled bikes. Both good guys.

Now we have some third-party foreigners come in to do the assembly. They really churn 'em out, with varied results.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 1:15am
Thor, you are to be commended for working retail! Retail has to be one of the tougher jobs to handle.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 8:31am

Thanks, Marj. It's one of the tougher jobs I've ever had (most were white or gray collar office jobs). But I like that I'm not sitting at a desk. I specifically did not want that.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 5:40pm

Thor, you are to be commended for working retail! Retail has to be one of the tougher jobs to handle.

What about me?????

I worked in retail for three years!!!

Of course that was in the late 70's and early 80's when I was in my early 20's, but still....

Why don't I deserve to be commended too????

It's not fair!!!!

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 5:43pm

Thanks, Marj. It's one of the tougher jobs I've ever had

Wuss.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Thanks, Marj. It's one of the tougher jobs I've ever had

Wuss.

It really is, though. And it's not even the actual work. It's the mass of obstacles, physical and otherwise, that get in the way of getting the work done.

Get this:
My first day on the job, I got written up because one of the assistant managers was f*cking the girl in customer service that another of the assistant managers was cheating on his girlfriend with.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 7:55pm

It really is, though. And it's not even the actual work. It's the mass of obstacles, physical and otherwise, that get in the way of getting the work done.

Oh, the stories I could tell about the summer of '77 when I was "the warehouse guy/forklift driver" at the Sea Ray boat plant in Merritt Island, Fl.

Blistering hot outside, no a/c in the plant area of course, much of the job was performed outside hefting heavy stuff around in the blazing sun and the "warehouse" area was a much too small section of the R&D building in which I'd have to do things like...

...dig through huge stacks of 4'x 8' sheets of plywood with a forklift to get one or two sheets off of a stack in the back, then re-stack them...

...and unstack two, three or four ceiling high stacked "towers" of 454 cubic inch Ford "Mercruiser" inboard engines that were defective, just to get to the (hopefully) good ones behind them, then re-stack them before delivering the new ones to the engine test dept.

And of course, as often as not, at least one of the pair of new ones I pulled was bad too, which required me to repeat the process all over again.

Imagine the scene in the picture below, but instead of two high, they're stacked about six or eight high. Defective ones in front, untested and hopefully good ones behind them in back.

All while the rest of the plant was still waiting for their stuff to be delivered.

Quote Get this:
My first day on the job, I got written up because one of the assistant managers was f*cking the girl in customer service that another of the assistant managers was cheating on his girlfriend with.

So, how did that get you written up?

Refused to take part in a threesome or foursome?

Refused to be the video cam operator? 🤔

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125>
  Share Topic