Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"weird elbows" banking (?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "weird elbows" banking (?)
    Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:51pm
Trying to remember what the commercial is for- I *think* it's for a bank, the point of the commercial being that if your life status changes, you can change your online profile, and.......and........I don't know. The bank salespeople then have more targeted marketing info on you.

Anyway. To hammer home the concept of changing life status, the camera focus on an oh-so-f*&%ing adorable young woman, being oh-so-f*&%ing annoying in a preteen sort of way (which, at this woman's age, is not right.)

The camera seems to be operated from the point of view of her BF, who for some reason is smitten with her bipolar immaturity. At one point, she asks: "Do you think my elbows look weird??" Confused (I'm disappointed that the poor guy doesn't tell her that they're really fat. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.)

So does the slow-tortured BF come to his senses and dump this wack-job? Of course not. She's skinny, which many guys confuse with "hot." She acts like a toddler- another thing young guys seem drawn to like bugs to a zapper. Instead of running for the hills, he marries her. Dead

Don't know why this commercial annoys me so much. At least she's not portrayed as being "perfect" like, say, a female driver in an Audi or Cadillac commercial. Guess it's the over-the-top cutesiness that's forced upon us, when in fact it's got the darker side if you read between the lines. Not saying *I'm* never crazy or weird, but it's not something to boast about!!

Sponsored Links

ironwolf56 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironwolf56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 2:53am
It's some sort of tax filing thing actually (turbotax maybe?)  And am I a terrible person for not being annoyed by this commercial because for once the woman in the relationship is the weird crazy one and the silent male protagonist seems to be the reasonable mature one?
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 3:19am
Just saw it again- yeah it's TurboTax.

Men aren't usually portrayed as weird/crazy.......more like, inept and moronic LOL

I think it bugs me b/c of the general trend toward girlish innocent women. You know, the trend is for female singers to be breathy and almost singing in baby talk; guess it's the hipster style, women acting like they're ditzy little girls. Dunno, maybe I'm reading it all wrong!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 7:17am
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 7:18am
I would like to answer one of her questions:

"Will our kids think we're lame?"

Yes. Yes, they will. I do, and I don't even know you--I suspect your lameness factor would be multiplied if I were forced to live with you and your inane questions. Weird elbows, indeed.
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 1:44pm
She's asking the wrong questions. Here's a couple that make more sense:

"Do you think I should wear a helmet at all times?"

"Do you wanna see how long I can breathe underwater?"

"Can we see the rabbits, George?"

"What are you doing with that pillow?"
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

mrjim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 4:55pm
I kind of like this one.  I know it's incredibly lame and it would wear thin on me after a while if I had to live with that.

That's actually one of the elements to writing good stories or commercials.  Your characters are exaggerations.  You don't just have a boring character, he has to be extra boring.  If your character is smart he's not just smart, he's a super nerd and smart, like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory.

So this character is extra cutesy and she asks too many inane questions.  Does it work for a commercial?  I think so.  For a wife, ask EMCEE above me ^
BowlingGeek View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BowlingGeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:40pm
"Do you think my elbows look weird?" No but your face does... Really there is something up with her face. She reminds me of the girl in the Seinfeld Festivus episode where she looks good but then in bad lighting she looks completely different. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm
She looks pretty good brushing her teeth.  I'd hit it.
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by mrjim mrjim wrote:

That's actually one of the elements to writing good stories

Said no-one, ever......
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
veoozo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veoozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 3:09am
Oh come on, this ad is cute. Including the girl ;)
rosary View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 1:08am

I thought this was a commercial for drunk chicks. I really did. I thought this was a commercial about drunk chicks. I didn't finish the commercial until this website. I always changed the commercial about the time of the elbows.  I thought she was drunk.

Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 2:22am
I thought he picked her up at the special stop for the short bus.
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
Cielo_Drive_Ghost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cielo_Drive_Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 10:28pm
I think of this Turbo Tax commercial as "The Annoying Bride". The question Turbo Tax asks in this one is "Did you get married?" In this poor guy's case, the answer is, unfortunately, "Yes."

I actually like the other Turbo Tax commercials. The voiceovers are done by John C. Reilly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic