Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voice Activated Mute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voice Activated Mute
    Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 12:35am
I think it would be great if televisions could have a voice activated mute control. It would function like this. When a commercial that is offensive to the viewer begins and the remote is out of reach the viewer simply shouts MUTE! It would even be fun if it could be programed to respond to other voice commands such as NOOOOO! or SHUT THE F**K UP!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 12:47am
It would be great to say "MUTE this motherCensoredr" and have it mute the TV!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 1:04am
Sounds like a good idea in theory, but in reality, everytime someone on the screen said a word that rhymes with "mute", like "cute" or "flute" or "shoot" or "loot" or "boot" or "hoot" or "root", the volume would keep shutting off!!! LOL
And political talk shows could never again mention the name "Newt". Clap

That would be just fine with me, though. Big smile

Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 4:05am
Yes. I thought of that too. It would have to somehow know the difference between the TV audio and the viewer's voice. I think the technology is there to recognize only one voice. Yes I gave-up on Newt years ago. What an @$$.
WalpurgisQuill View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalpurgisQuill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 6:04am
The technology IS there. Its modifying the SR software in the TV to respond to input rather than output, and to isolate audio to a few feet in order to eliminate background noise.
WalpurgisQuill View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalpurgisQuill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 6:10am
Also, soundwave patterns differ from source to source, and teaching the SR software to respond to only one "print" is a common method. That alone takes care of most of the biggest flaw.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:48pm
No need for any voice-activated muting.  I can mute commercials in my head---to the point where they're just white noise.  To go from sound to silence when commercials come on (and then back to sound), is something I'd find a bit jarring and rather annoying.

Then again, I really don't hate commercials that much (even though I'm here at CIH).  To me, they're just a minor annoyance.  Plus, they don't really work on me.  I'm just not that prone to advertising.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 11:01pm
I have to hunt for the mute button on my remote. I click the program guide when commercials come on mostly, or go get another beer.Tongue

What about using "Clap -On" technology?Wink 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:14am
Breaking news! Not voice activated but moving in the right direction. "SMASH MUTE". A giant (about 3" diameter bright red mute button). Emblazoned with "Shut the #*@% up! No YouTube and the product website blocks copying of their images. It interacts with your remote and lets you to have a really large button to smash when you want to mute. At least someone knows what we want! Now progress to voice activated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic