Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vagisil/Gold Bond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vagisil/Gold Bond
    Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 4:00pm
For some reason these 2 always air back-to-back no matter what. Apparently the demographic of the shows I watch, ideally, has chronic yeast infections and stinky feet.

Anyway this lady is shopping and it's like "It can happen anywhere. That itch you can't scratch. That embarassing odor." And the lady looks at her reflection in the window of a store and sees some old hag wearing a hoodie and looking bummed out. Okay, number one, who's gonna watch this commercial and be like, "It can happen ANYWHERE? I thought I could inly get an itchy vag at home!! Holy crap!!" And I don't like the implications this commercial casts, that yeast infections are for ugly people.

The Gold Bond ad features a nasty foot up on the screen, writhing around, while the announcer says, "They itch. They smell. They burn." Describing some condition known as foot dermatitis. It's so nasty. I wouldn't mind so much if not for the big foot. I'm not exactly sure why it bothers me so much.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Sponsored Links

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 6:24pm
Well a lot of those ailments are related. Jock itch and yeast infections are a candida.
I had a teacher tell us that once in class, it was weird.
It made us all a little creeped out that he dropped that bomb on us.
Especially since he was a history teacher.

waait I looked it up. Mr. Hippi was WRONG! Jock Itch is a tinea, which is related to the tinea that causes athlete's foot, elsewhere on the body it suddenly can be a ringworm.

Ooh but "thrush" is a candida, so it's basically yeast infection of a mouth. Ew. My baby cousin has thrush I remember.
I guess breast feeding babies get it at times.

We are walking petri dishes.
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 10:56pm
I never had smelly feet.
Should I feel cheated?
was feeling nostalgic
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:59am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

I never had smelly feet.
Should I feel cheated?

Yes, you should.  It goes with the repertoire of other smells which, when they're your own, are quite excellent.

TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 3:21am
I was afraid to see that Gold Bond ad again. But I saw it when watching Family Feud. The commercial made me gag when I first saw it.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I never had smelly feet.
Should I feel cheated?

Yes, you should.  It goes with the repertoire of other smells which, when they're your own, are quite excellent.

There's another level of taste called "Umami".  It's the flavor that is often akin to "smelly feet" and occurs in a good cheese.   You'll hear sexy and brainy food people like Anthony Bourdain refer to certain foods as having that "foot" thing.  I like to say "that cheese smelled like the Postman's socks in August."   Approve   On the egullet food boards someone once said "Good cheese smells like Happy Underpants".   Hmmmm......Wink
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 4:05am
Umami is the new buzz word on tv.
As much as I enjoy cheeses, if something smells of feet, it ain't going in my mouth.
was feeling nostalgic
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 2:52pm
The vagisil commercial bugs me because they make the itch out to be bad, like you have to hide from it.  While it by all means is not comfortable, it's a very important indication of the progress of a yeast infection.  If you just keep covering up the itch, without treating the underlying infection, well that is very bad.  It's when the itching and irritation is completely gone on its own that you know your infection has fully cleared up.

If you're itching that bad, you need actual yeast infection medication, not just the anti-itch crap.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 4:09pm

Yes...these commercials do tend to show back-to-back. We have both products in our household. Sometimes I get confused.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by kat kat wrote:

...The Gold Bond ad features a nasty foot up on the screen, writhing around, while the announcer says, "They itch. They smell. They burn."...
There is a little syntax error in the Gold Bond announcer's statement...feet do not "smell", feet "STINK". Cry
Noses "smell".

Smell is loosely defined as being able to detect a scent or an odour with the nose coupled with the olfactory* bulb in the brain. Feet do not have this ability; only noses do. Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*ol·fac·to·ry (ŏl-făk'tə-rē, -trē, ōl-)
adj.

Of, relating to, or contributing to the sense of smell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 8:25pm
"syntax error"
woah. That takes me back to monochrome monitors!
suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 9:16pm

Anyway this lady is shopping and it's like "It can happen anywhere. That itch you can't scratch. That embarassing odor." And the lady looks at her reflection in the window of a store and sees some old hag wearing a hoodie and looking bummed out. Okay, number one, who's gonna watch this commercial and be like, "It can happen ANYWHERE? I thought I could inly get an itchy vag at home!! Holy crap!!" And I don't like the implications this commercial casts, that yeast infections are for ugly people.

Imagine women who have panic/anxiety disorders where they won't leave their homes -- they'll watch this commercial & it'll make them freak out about leaving home even more!

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 10:48pm
In the immortal words of Al Bundy, in that episode where he had to judge an 'ugly feet contest', and then dreamed about his least-favorite body part:
"Feet! Feet! FEEEEEEEEEETTTTT! NOOOOOOO MOOOOORE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!"LOL
I don't even want to know how he'd react to the Vagisil ad...."Fish! Fish! NOOOOO MOOOORRRE FIIIISHHH!Wink
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 2:02am
I was in K mart a couple of months ago and heard them page some woman named "Candida" over the loud speaker.  I cracked up laughing in the middle of the store.  Holy guacamole, they named her after yeast.  Ewwww. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 2:09am
Maybe she was named after the song?

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 5:05pm

The Vagisil and Gold Bond ads run back-to-back because they are both apparently owned by Chattem, Inc.  If they are not, I stand corrected.  Visit the Chattem web site:  www.chattem.com.

jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 9:59pm

"It can happen ANYWHERE? I thought I could inly get an itchy vag at home!! Holy crap!!"

It really can't happen ANYWHERE..it happens in the junk.  I don't recall ever seeing someone rubbing vagisil on their elbow.  Actually, I don't recall ever seeing someone rubbing vagisil..well....anywhere.  Lucky for me.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by msdeli msdeli wrote:

I was in K mart a couple of months ago and heard them page some woman named "Candida" over the loud speaker. 

I guess you never heard this hit by Tony Orlando and Dawn?? LOL 

mutebuttoner View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutebuttoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 7:22pm
I hate how Vagisil says "that itch you can't scratch" yet guys scratch in public all the time. And they never mention that you can't apply Vagisil right there on the street, that you'd have to find a private place for that anyway - why not just scratch then?!

Things get itchy down there for all of us, I imagine, and for perfectly natural, healthy reasons too, not just infections. Way I see it, I'm not going to judge someone just because they have an itch that needs scratching. Go for it honey!

But of course Head and Shoulders has been telling us for years that "the little itch" is dandruff, so I'm not surprised that people think that no itch occurs without some wretched flesh-eating disease that needs some product applied IMMEDIATELY or you'll end up with gangrene and leprosy.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 7:28pm
The itch you can't scratch can mean two things, itching in public, or just not being able to itch it like you can't itch chicken pox. Yes women don't scratch in public like men do, but I do sometimes when no one is looking Wink

Also yeast infection itch falls into that "you shouldn't scratch at it" category with mosquito bites and chicken pox, it makes things flare up and it feels MUCH worse. Hence"the itch you can't scratch." Regular crotch itch however there's no rules against, scratch away if you want LOL
mutebuttoner View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutebuttoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 7:48pm
Thanks HezaD, good points of which I have no personal experience. I thought "can't scratch" was purely for social reasons, good to know there's medical ones they are probably referring to.

Commercial still bugs me, though. LOL
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 1:27am
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 2:42am
I guess I'm lucky.  I really thought it only meant a yeast infection (hence my earlier post) because I honestly only have gotten any kind of itch down there when I've had one myself.  I didn't realize it was common on its own.  Although I do think when they mention "that you can't scratch" they aren't talking about the social restraints; I think they mean the itch when it's way up inside that you just can't, well, scratch!  And also, the sensitivity of the tissue involved; scratching can be risky.

Either way, I hate how they have her looking horrid in the mirror.  It's not like bloating or cramping of fatigue, for god's sake, it's an ITCH.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2008 at 6:17pm

Fast forward to November 16. Umami's not so hot any more.

Damn economy.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 2:00am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Fast forward to November 16. Umami's not so hot any more.

Damn economy.

What's the economy got to do with "umami".  Tongue This word (Japanese for "savory deliciousness")  has been around for decades.  The Japanese gentleman who coined the phrase was responsible for creating commercially made MSG that was snapped up by the Chinese for use in their cooking.  MSG occurs naturally in many foods like soy sauce, parmesan cheese, and tomatoes.  I've seen some "umami" soy sauce ads relatively recently.  But with the holidays coming it's my guess Kikoman may not  think many Americans are in need of soy sauce on their stuffing and mashed potatoes?  Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic