Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UNITED AIRLINES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UNITED AIRLINES
    Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 7:37pm
As much as I hate to rip ANY airline these days, UA cam consider themselves "Persona Non Grata". 
They WERE on my 'preferred list', until this last Tuesday - when the BratWolf flew home.
Let's go through it:
1.) We are up at 2:30 A.M. to get BratWolf (youngest son) on his 6 A.M. flight back home - he has multiple transfers and will be flying all day.
2.) note: Due to BratWolf's occupation, he has special 'Military' clearances. This means something when it comes down to baggage charges, amongst OTHER things.
3.) UA had a very large line, at 5 A.M. - didn't help the ticketing agent we had was clearly 'in recovery', and a smartass.
4.) Agent refused 'Military Clearance' - even when presented with proper MILITARY I.D. - so we paid, just to get BratWolf home.
5.) Agent wanted to charge BratWolf an additional $120 for having a bag six (6) pounds overweight. we took out 6 pounds on the spot - in front of the agent.
6.) BratWolf called from home - UA had RIPPED his bag open, and refused any responsibility.
7.) Both BratWolf and Myself went directly to UA Consumer Affairs and filed official complaints.
8.) UA has not bothered to respond. 
9.) My organization has utilized them as a 'preferred' airline for some time...I have filed official request to have them removed from that list.
10.) I am preparing an official Consumer Protection Complaint to even get their take on the incident.
Screw United Airlines - they cannot even RESPOND? Should I get my way with our travel group, it can (and hopefully WILL) cause UA a SIGNIFICANT financial hit (the travel kids have been friends for many years). BratWolf has taken it to the FEDS...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:38pm
Unless it is SW or Delta, I have found most airlines consider us there for them, not the other way around.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Unless it is SW or Delta, I have found most airlines consider us there for them, not the other way around.
I'm a HUGE 'DELTA' fan.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:47pm
Our travel agent put us on UA because I didn't tell her I wanted Delta until after everything was confirmed. I think she was a little shocked when I asked for Delta knowing the price was a bit higher, and the entire schedula had to be flipped around. Oh well- I like Delta.
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 11:19pm
Well, UA had the plane which was involved in 9/11 (Flight 93).
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 4:14am
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Yeah, seems like it. Although I haven't really had any problems with Continental, so they seem alright, too.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 2:16pm
I've flown Continental a number of times.  Never a problem.  Once, at Christmas, there was some flight delay/overbooking.  I was annoyed, but I let other people raise the ruckus.  One of the Continental employees trying to quell the masses noticed I was being calm and polite about the whole thing, and handed me a $200 check for the hassle, right on the spot.

Another time, they ripped open my luggage.  The tear was about 4 inches, and I didn't lose anything.  I reported it.  About a week later, a UPS guy shows up with a brand new piece of Samsonite of the same size, as a replacement.

These incidents were in the 1990s.  I can't imagine these things happening nowadays.  In fact, I was surprised how they handled those problems even back then.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 3:12pm
I have flown Frontier, Delta, Asia North America, Lufthansa, British Airways, Continental, and Southwest (among others that I can't think of right now), and I haven't had anywhere near the problems on any of these airlines that I have had on United (I know that I have mentioned these problems either on this forum or the old one, not sure which).

Anyway, due to the fact that most of their calling center business is outsourced to India, it can be difficult to get them to understand you. For instance, if you are going on a 3 week trip to see family and have found that the easiest (ha!) thing to do would just be to bring your dog along with you instead of leaving him in a kennel or with friends, it is very difficult to explain to them the difference between 60 pounds and 16 pounds (even if you break down and say "six zero", they will most certainly make up something else to hear instead).

My phone calls with them about this matter took up all of my minutes for one month, and then when I finally got to the counter with my dog, ready to check in, the woman there didn't believe in flying with pets (believe me, I wouldn't have if I didn't have to) and was extremely rude to me, and basically tried to disallow me from getting on the plane with my dog. Because of her shenanigans, I ended up being late for the flight and my bags ended up going to Nebraska instead of Denver (but very luckily, not my dog!). I called to complain and get my money back and all I managed to get was a $50-off coupon.Angry

I really hate UA.

"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 5:01am

You all have probably see this by now, but it seems relevant.

United breaks guitars:

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 1:06pm
In 2005 I flew to Brazil on TAM Airlines on a Mission Trip with my Church on the Amazon River. The Service on this airline SMOKES the service any US Carrier would provide. For one thing they served REAL FOOD on all the segments, including the domestic ones. An unexpected bonus occured during the second leg of our journey. After flying overnight from Miami to Sao Paulo, we had to fly to Santorem. Arriving at the gate we saw them wheeling the plane away from the gate. We were told they had to do some maintainance on that plane so they were getting another plane to fly us in. The next plane came in, and we boarded. We all had seat assignments at the front of the plane (I had did a check, it was supposed to be an "All Coach" Config. We get to our seats and SURPRISE! They were First Class! After the all-nighter from Miami for the next five hours those fancy seats sure came in handy!Big%20smile Arriving in Santorem the Missionarys said we were the most laid-back team to ever get off the plane! 
Poiuyt Power!!!
LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 6:00am
If you're heading to Australia, Quantas is what you want to fly. I've flown Quantas 4 times and never had a problem. Great Airline. Flew United and Continental too and they're okay. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic