Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White Gold is White Gold/Got Milk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Gold is White Gold/Got Milk?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 12:27am
I don't know what to make of these commercials.  I'm not even sure what my opinion of them is.  The first time I saw one, my reaction was "What the hell??!"  I guess I like watching 'em like I like watching the aftermath of a car crash.  I'm not even sure if anyone outside of California gets them.  

Here's the first one in the series (hapless bum becomes over-the-top 70's-style rock star when angel comes down and gives him electric guitar filled with milk): 

The website for this ad campaign is just as over-the-top:

Sponsored Links

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 12:41am
It makes me wonder what is actually IN that milk!!Confused really strange.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

It makes me wonder what is actually IN that milk!!Confused really strange.

Growth hormone, maybe?

Have you seen them before, Big Momma?  I think the Got Milk campaign is national, but at the end of the commercial, there's something in print about the California Milk Advisory Board.  So, I don't know.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 2:29am
No, here in New England it would be, "Got milk in your chowda"?LOL
blast-off-girl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blast-off-girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 2:43am
I was planning to bring up this ad last night but didn't get around to it.  It's really bizarre but I'm not surprised because a lot of the "Got Milk" commercials are strange.  I happened to visit the advertising agency that does these commercials in San Francisco.  They must be doing something right - they had over 300 Clio and other awards in their lobby. 

They also have a MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/whitegoldiswhitegold
The songs are fairly decent.  I wonder why the milk industry is so desperate for business that they have to do a full on advertising campaign. 
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 3:16am
White gold must come from cool cows!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

White gold must come from cool cows!!

Funny you should say that.  The California Cheese Council (or something like that) has their own ad campaign whose slogan is  "Great cheese comes from happy cows".

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:56am
Originally posted by blast-off-girl blast-off-girl wrote:

I wonder why the milk industry is so desperate for business that they have to do a full on advertising campaign. 

Yeah, I wonder about that, too.  It's not like they're competing with anyone.

blast-off-girl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blast-off-girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I wonder why the milk industry is so desperate for business that they have to do a full on advertising campaign. 

Yeah, I wonder about that, too.  It's not like they're competing with anyone.

Maybe they're competing with people who drink soy milk?!?  It's just a bizarre commercial and the glam rock music seems to appeal to hipsters.  When I think of milk drinkers, children and older adults come to mind.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 11:02pm

It's just a bizarre commercial and the glam rock music seems to appeal to hipsters.  When I think of milk drinkers, children and older adults come to mind.

There ya go.  Maybe they want to appeal to the hipsters who you don't normally think of as being milk drinkers.  A white gold star and a gallon of milk for blast-off girl!! 

JimKirkpatrik66 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimKirkpatrik66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 3:31pm
tats was funny rofl
"Get your popcorn ready"
                          - Terrell Owen

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 5:40am
This commercial is driving me crazy.

The white gold guy has those bugged-out eyes that I hate, and he's a freakin' mess.  He looks like a has-been rock-and-roller, and the "White gold is" is just beyond annoying.  Go away!!!
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 6:42am
'White Gooollld...Texas teeeea'...oh, sorry, I was having a 'Beverly Hillbillies' flashback.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic