Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
$0
$100
Red line = monthly cost of CIH
Recent Donations: 0
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chevy and howie long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chevy and howie long
    Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 5:30am
           Hi againTongue. Can you tell I've been watching tv all day and now want to vent about the stupid commercials I've had to sit throughSmileSmile?
          I've never cared for Howie Long much...he seems really full of himself. The new Chevy commercials I saw with him in them today are really shameful. There's about three, I think that I saw, where, basically, he's being condescending and almost mean to other truck owners. In one, he makes fun of the guy with the ford, as he's using his "little man step". And then there's the one with the guy that talks in a manly truckers voice, but his voice changes to high and squeaky when he talks about the gas mileage. There was even one for the new chevy suv (can't remember the name right off) showing the little girl next to a supposed middle seat of a toyota, and how she was a big girl and wanted a big seat.
           I don't know, I just feel the whole tone of all the commercials was condescending and mean spirited, with Howie playing the perfect lead. Honestly, if the only thing you can think of to make fun of on a ford truck is the "man step", you ain't got much. They're scrapin the bottom of the barrel there.  
Sponsored Links

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 6:09am
First of all, we're talking Chevy here.   Bottom of the barrel was normal operations for Chevy.   This is beyond that.   Second, I was immediately reminded of the Radio Shack ads with Terri Hatcher years ago.    But he is very obnoxious in this new one.   IDK, is that the tone a company like Chevy wants to take?  Especially now.

All I say when I see a Chevy ad is: "Are you bankrupt yet?"

I wouldn't be sad to see them go under. Evil%20Smile
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 9:08am
I officially hate Howie Long now. Angry
The Geico Gecko: annoying us since the late 90's
kushiro View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kushiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 2:33pm
Chevy's new sales pitch: "Hey, you're a bunch of homos!  Now buy our trucks."
pcgh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 4:57pm
I came on this site today to rant about the Dodge Ram Challenge commercials, but seeing as I'm here, I might as well throw in my 2 cents on the Howie Long commercials as well.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that 1. I have always actually kind of liked Howie Long and 2. I don't mind this latest series of Chevy truck commercials. They are more down-to-earth and a hell of a lot more tolerable than the utterly obnoxious Dodge (Ram Challenge), Toyota (manly trucker Sam Elliott wannabe announcer), and (to a significantly lesser degree) Ford ("we're thinking about pizza, they're thinking about aerodynamic wake properties") commercials.

The one where he is talking to the manly trucker/high squeaky voice guy is actually more of a jab at the ridiculous Toyota ad campaign than anything else. I have to kind of chuckle at that a little bit. I'd probably never buy a Chevy truck (although my dad & uncle both have one and love them), but I have to give them a prop or two for this ad.
That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by kushiro kushiro wrote:

Like this Family Guy clip of the obnoxious Hummer guy.

Basically, they're playing into the stereotype that driving any vehicle that's not 4ft. off the ground because of tires and doesn't get 5 miles per gallon or less makes them a pussy.   

Because we all know that real men waste resources and trash the environment.  

Real men say f**k you to their kids and leave a dirty, polluted wasteland for them.

LOL
LOL
kushiro View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kushiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 9:46pm
I can just picture a salesman on the lot saying, "I don't get it.  I made fun of his truck, and I called him a pussy, but for some reason he didn't give me $30,000 for the Silverado!"
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by BDrums1971 BDrums1971 wrote:

Hi againTongue. Can you tell I've been watching tv all day and now want to vent about the stupid commercials I've had to sit throughSmileSmile?
          I've never cared for Howie Long much...he seems really full of himself. The new Chevy commercials I saw with him in them today are really shameful. There's about three, I think that I saw, where, basically, he's being condescending and almost mean to other truck owners. In one, he makes fun of the guy with the ford, as he's using his "little man step". And then there's the one with the guy that talks in a manly truckers voice, but his voice changes to high and squeaky when he talks about the gas mileage.   

"This here Chevrolet Silverado has a V8 and gets 21mpg(highway)".Ermm Yippie.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 1:14pm
I actually liked watching him tear into the ford, toyota, and dodge ad campaigns especially the nerdy "Real Trucker" guy with the husky voice.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 3:31am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I actually liked watching him tear into the ford, toyota, and dodge ad campaigns especially the nerdy "Real Trucker" guy with the husky voice.

I guess I haven't seen the Toyota commercial that Howie was making fun of...didn't know it was a jab at them. Still, the overall condescending tone just turns me off. Like some of the above posts have said, Howie and his commercials seem to be aimed at "macho men" who would buy a vehicle based on a commercial's slamming of other trucks. Course, Dodge seems to be aiming at the same audience with their stupid truck challenge commercials. Once again, the ad 'gurus' look at the buying public as a bunch of brain dead morons that can't think for themselves and need to be told what to buy. Course, they can't fool us, can they? Wink
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 3:58am

I'm feeling real good that GM is using our tax bucks to show still more of these stupid ads. Put the money into better engineering, and oh, maybe some business management and finance training for your execs. 

Hundreds of threads killed.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 4:27am
Like I said before, I can't wait to see this company fold like a Snuggie being put away for the summer!!  LOL
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 11:49am
> There was even one for the new chevy suv (can't remember the name right off)

Probably the Chevy Tahoe Hybrid. I like it, and would like to get one, but for $50,000.00 I don't think so. I need a down payment for a house first.

Actually, there are very few car or truck commercials I can stand, by any maker, US, Asian, whomever. I've especially been annoyed for years by the voiceover guys that do the Lexus and Infiniti ads. One of them was the "oh so much more civilized than you Yanks"British guy for one of them (I think he was a bad guy in one of the James Bond movies), and the older guy who must have smoked about 40 million cigarettes to get that raspy gravelly uppercrust voice. I can smell the stale tobacco smoke through the TV.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 11:51am
I think it was the Traverse. 
The Geico Gecko: annoying us since the late 90's
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I think it was the Traverse. 

Yep, they just showed that commercial. Howie is comparing the Chevy Traverse to a Honda Pilot, wanna guess which car company will be around next year?Wink
snooze View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by kushiro kushiro wrote:

And damnit, I LIKE heated steering wheels. First off, they're not that hard to manufacture or are very cost prohibitive and they serve a perfectly sensible function. But noooo Howie Long's gonna find you and call you a fairy. I get it already. Chevy has stooped incredibly low with these commercials. Bravo.
mischa316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischa316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 7:55am
Ok I figured I'd put it in here since there is a Chevy/Howie Long thread.

I am getting so annoyed with these 3 Chevy's trying to compare the mpg's to Honda's. First it's the Cobault XFE saying it get's better mileage than the Civic, Then the Traverse to the Pilot, and the Malibu to the Accord.

Then he says there is something we just can't compete with it's self propelled.

First of all I've had a Honda/Acura my last 2 cars so I'm kinda biased towards them. The thing of it is HOW IS THE RESALE VALUE for Chevy? Probably no where close to a Honda AT ALL!!

So I just went into kbb.com and compared the 2 models that are the same for the Cobalt & the Civic. I just put suggested retail value. Cobalt get's $8,475 and the Civic get's $11,485.

So whenever I see this commercial I just say well how is the resale value NO WHERE CLOSE HA HA HA. That is why Chevy is in Bankruptcy and Honda is not. Maybe they should use the bailout money to better use than trying to bash on the better vehicle.

Mischa.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:32pm
Yeah, but has Honda ever put out anything like this?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 7:12pm
yes........
mischa316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischa316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 6:28am

Actually there is a car called the Acura NSX which honestly looks alot better than that Camaro. With a Camaro looking like that no wonder they are in Bankruptcy. I wouldn't drive that if someone gave that to me.

Mischa.
DolFan 316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 1:51am
I'm glad someone brought up this thread. I have yet to meet ANYBODY on the net who didn't think the "man step" ads were lame at best and sign of the Apocalypse at worst.

The worst part is, Howie Long is on my sister's List O' Hotties Cry
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

yes........

Is this the one that was going to be released next year, but they decided to scrap it?  Or is this an earlier NSX?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 12:26am
It's an 2010 model.

<According to Wardsauto.com, American Honda President and CEO Tetsuo Iwamura indicated that the next-generation Acura NSX will arrive in 2010.

This news doesn't make the GTChannel staff jump up and down in joy since Honda's announcements regarding the NSX has been inconsistent so far. Here are Honda CEO Takeo Fukui's comments in the past.

In July 2005 he said, “We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era,” “We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V-10 engine in three to four years.”

At that time we at GTChannel thought, "a V-10 engine, cool...but wait a minute...Honda doesn't even make a V8...how are they going to come up with a V-10"?

Fukui then told the media at the Detroit show in January 2007 to expect a production version at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show in October.

At that time we at GTChannel thought, "great finally the NSX, Honda with its NSX and Nissan with its GT-R...this is going to be a great show...".

We all know the NSX was a no show.

It sounds like there is some confusion within Honda about when and what they are doing about the NSX. With the Acura brand release delayed again in Japan it is speculated that this new NSX may be released in the US even before the homeland.

If this car ever does become a reality...

(Source:Wardsauto.com)>

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 1:08am
According to Wikipedia, it's been cancelled.  Too bad.  It looked almost as good as that Camaro.

On December 17, 2008, Fukui announced during a speech about Honda's revised financial forecast that, due to poor economic conditions, all plans for a next-generation NSX have been canceled.[15]

Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 4:49am
Dol Fan 316, Howie's on my list of hotties, too! He's one sexy hunk of man!!!!!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic