Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Amish Advertising on TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Amish Advertising on TV
    Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 10:10pm
I thought it odd, but a TV commercial advertising Amish goods.

Here's the website too. http://www.heatsurgetv.com/index.cfm

I visited an Amish community in the early 1970's.  No electricity and it was not allowed to take their picture.  Something about not having engraven images of them. So this is somewhat a modification of previously held traditions.

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 11:54pm
I know what you are saying, MM00 - it just doesn't feel right.
Thanks for the website - interesting!
An Amish guy quite skillfully utilizing a remote control; monkeying around with electronics...carefully packing the product and then stacking it into a horse-drawn cart!Confused
It all seems like a conflict of interests. Adjusting to the times? Maybe so. I just never thought they would change - but then again, even the Shakers (what an amazing, skilled, and innovative culture to visit and learn about) eventually adopted the automobile. 

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I know what you are saying, MM00 - it just doesn't feel right.
Thanks for the website - interesting!
An Amish guy quite skillfully utilizing a remote control; monkeying around with electronics...carefully packing the product and then stacking it into a horse-drawn cart!Confused
It all seems like a conflict of interests. Adjusting to the times? Maybe so. I just never thought they would change - but then again, even the Shakers (what an amazing, skilled, and innovative culture to visit and learn about) eventually adopted the automobile. 

Oh, so that's who they're talking about when they talk about the movers and Shakers of the world eh?  LOL 

oozevad View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oozevad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 12:02am
I can assure you the Amish have nothing to do with this advertising. This is blatent exploitation of them. The company is associating their product with the Amish reputation for quality craftmanship to sell their overpriced electric space heater and I find it apalling. The pictures are so obviously fake it's sickening. I feel so sorry for all the people that will fall for this B.S. 

These are just 1500 watt electric heaters in a wood cabinet, you can buy a 1500 watt electric heater at wal mart for under $30 (although you won't have fake flames to watch).

I just saw the TV commercial but I have also seen the full page newspaper ads with the same claims. If you read carefully they say that the heater is actually from China (the China Coast to be exact) but the wood "mantles" they sit inside are "Amish made".  This could be true many Amish do have businesses and could have been contracted to make these "mantles" but that is no guarantee of quality, they are business people and will make the things according to how the person ordering it wants it made. Depending on their sect in business they can use electricity and modern tools and machines, staples, glue and particle board too.

Even if the wood mantles are made by Amish people this has no effect on the electric heater from China, and it doesn't automatically guarantee that the mantle is a good piece of furniture either!

I believe the ad says if you buy the mantles they give you the heaters "FREE" Wow - I bet the cost of those heaters isn't just hidden in the cost of the mantles- duh.

AND DON'T FORGET THEIR IS A LIMIT OF 2 PER HOUSEHOLD! (thats almost $600 btw) CALL NOW!!

Oh and the sites says that you can only call to order them at certain times - depending where you live in the country -  to create the illusion that there is SO much demand for this miracle product. Disgusting.

here are some web sites I found about this issue, just google Amish heater for many more:
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 2:54am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Oh, so that's who they're talking about when they talk about the movers and Shakers of the world eh?  LOL 

Smile Well, they somewhat WERE...ever visited a Shaker village? Amazing technologies were developed many moons ago. However, they were (are) the original 'orphanages' - they often took in children and raised them; their population wasn't because of the way they raised their families (the men and women NEVER slept/sleep together; not often even in the same building). We visited a large Shaker village in Massasschets a few years ago - educational! 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 3:08am
Originally posted by oozevad oozevad wrote:

I can assure you the Amish have nothing to do with this advertising. This is blatent exploitation of them. The company is associating their product with the Amish reputation for quality craftmanship to sell their overpriced electric space heater and I find it apalling. The pictures are so obviously fake it's sickening. I feel so sorry for all the people that will fall for this B.S....

Welcome aboard...and THANKS! How correct you are! A bit of simple research exposes this one rapidly...
 http://www.everydaycitizen.com/2008/04/horse_hockey_amish_heaters.html

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 6:50am

No electricity and it was not allowed to take their picture.  Something about not having engraven images of them. So this is somewhat a modification of previously held traditions.

As soon as I saw this thread name that's exactly what came to mind. I thought the Amish believed cameras stole your soul and wanted nothing to do with them.Confused
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 11:03am
The Amish around here will not allow their pictures to be taken, but tourists that stop in town usually want to take pictures of the Amish.Question

smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

No electricity and it was not allowed to take their picture.  Something about not having engraven images of them. So this is somewhat a modification of previously held traditions.

As soon as I saw this thread name that's exactly what came to mind. I thought the Amish believed cameras stole your soul and wanted nothing to do with them.Confused

No, it's it's their interpretation of "Thou shalt not make any graven images," which they take to mean no photographs.(It's why they make rag dolls with no faces for thier children.)
Chris Pugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Pugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 2:58pm

We're an established company with millions of satisfied customers whose focus is to exceed customer expectations.

To accomplish this, along with other successful methods, we've set up a Web site to share the facts about our company at http://heatsurge.wordpress.com to address any questions or concerns you may have.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 3:21pm
Did your company hire actors to portray the Amish on your commercials?

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 3:28pm

These are just 1500 watt electric heaters in a wood cabinet

Does this seem like a fire hazard to anyone else? Confused
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

These are just 1500 watt electric heaters in a wood cabinet

Does this seem like a fire hazard to anyone else? Confused

Yeah, but the Amish would'nt know anything about electricity.
rocketman70092 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman70092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 12:34pm
I know Im not the only one to start singing this song when the commercial is on.

(sorry I couldnt embed it, but "embedding was disabled upon request". Youtube can be a pain in the ass sometimes)
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 1:50pm
In 2006 while in the Lancaster, Pa. area I found out what the Amish do for fun. ANNOY THE TOURISTS! They'll go out for strolls in their Buggys and tie up the traffic for MILES!LOL 
A recent poll says all the bad boys and girls would prefer getting lumps of coal from Santa Claus instead of a Pay-TV subscription!
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 7:25am
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He wears a wide-brimmed hat, has a horse drawn buggy and comes bearing Amish made Heat Surges.

This commercial is true SNL material.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 11:39am

I don't know about anybody else but those two Amish chicks are really sexy to me.  
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 12:11pm
The one on the left is showing a little too much arm.

[Edit]

And why are those fireplaces "on" while they're polishing the wood grain?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I don't know about anybody else but those two Amish chicks are really sexy to me.  

Why do they have the units on while they polish them?
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 9:06pm
   Watch it guy! If they can polish lit, albeit fake fireplaces, imagine what they can do to those with impure thoughts!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 1:05am
Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

Why do they have the units on while they polish them?

Is there an echo in here?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 1:23am
  Why do they have units on while they polish them? Why do they have units on while they polish them?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 3:37am
I think the units have a cardboard picture of the unit on in them.
rocketman70092 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman70092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 3:41am

In one of the commercials, you can see one of those florescent lights on in the background. Isn't electricty a big no-no to the Amish? Guess just another flaw in this obvious scam of a commercial/product.

I almost forgot - why do they have the units on while they polish them? Big%20smile
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 3:49am
    My favorite part of the commercial is the product being delivered by horse and buggy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic