Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flo for Progressive: "Sprinkles are for winners"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flo for Progressive: "Sprinkles are for winners"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flo for Progressive: "Sprinkles are for winners"
    Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:39am
This looks like it was shot in 1977. Is it really new? On the fence about it. I think it's kind of kinky. But I'm willing to let you talk  me ixxxxo hating it. In 3...2...1....

Sponsored Links

Number One Navy Seal View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number One Navy Seal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:45pm
It does have that retro 1977 look going on. Why would they make it look roughly 38 years old? They easily could have shot the same scene looking like 2014/2015....
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:44pm
I think they're trying to make it look like an old employee training video or an old old PSA.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:47pm
I think they're going for that "Brian's Song" "feel". Anyway you slice it, it still sucks!
I do not think much, I do not think often, but when I do think, I think about sex!!
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:48pm
"Hummers are for winners"
I do not think much, I do not think often, but when I do think, I think about sex!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Number One Navy Seal Number One Navy Seal wrote:

It does have that retro 1977 look going on. Why would they make it look roughly 38 years old? They easily could have shot the same scene looking like 2014/2015....

On their website, they allude to the look of the commercial:

Do not adjust your video screen—we’re just paying homage to that age-old classic of American television: the after school special. So get ready for Flo to teach us all a valuable life lesson about comparison rates...and sprinkles. 

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:33pm
^Gag!
madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:58pm
I didn't watch the vid. What are sprinkles?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:13pm
Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2...Say what?
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:16pm
Thor: Thanks for that background. It's pretty obscure, though. I guess people don't have to understand it to absorb the effect, but still. 

madwoman: Sprinkles -- called "jimmies" in New England and perhaps elsewhere -- are tiny candies sometimes sprinkled (see the connection?) on top of ice cream cones. Actually, the cone is more commonly dipped upside-down into a container of them so they'll adhere more solidly to the ice cream. I like the teeny ant-shaped chocolate ones but then, I'm a purist.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 11:16pm
They are trying to make it look like one of the old ABC Afterschool Specials that used to air in the 1970s and 1980s. That's why the commercial is called "After School Special." 

And I can say this to Progressive - Flo go away!

-crainbebo
Sick and tired of Charter Spectrum (and Flo!)
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by BadAd BadAd wrote:

Thor: Thanks for that background. It's pretty obscure, though. I guess people don't have to understand it to absorb the effect, but still. 

madwoman: Sprinkles -- called "jimmies" in New England and perhaps elsewhere -- are tiny candies sometimes sprinkled (see the connection?) on top of ice cream cones. Actually, the cone is more commonly dipped upside-down into a container of them so they'll adhere more solidly to the ice cream. I like the teeny ant-shaped chocolate ones but then, I'm a purist.
In New England, only the chocolate ones are called jimmies.  The rainbow ones are sprinkles. :)
thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 12:25am
These commercials are always the worst compromise. Retro only works when you do it right.

This is obviously all digital filters and looks way too clean. The set is also too modern. The detuning was too exaggerated and not even applied to the vocal track! The only thing they sort of got right was the audible noise when the white progressive logo came up at the end.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 12:28am
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

In New England, only the chocolate ones are called jimmies.  The rainbow ones are sprinkles. :)

I call them all a waste of money.  They do nothing for ice cream except act as decoration.  Same with that stuff you squeeze onto cakes.  It's not even flavored other than "sweet".

Yeah, I know; I'm a killjoy.  LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by thedude thedude wrote:

These commercials are always the worst compromise. Retro only works when you do it right.

I thought this commercial (from the 90s) did the 70s pretty well.

thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well, yeah. It was actually done on film and tape as that was still common in 1998. That was my main problem with the Progressive commercial in the first place. Progressive didn't even want to do that.

Isuzu were selling a 90s car with a 70s toy commercial. That commercial required the right clothes, hair, body language, Slinky-inspired singing, etc. Even the camera angles were done correctly. Someone who actually grew up in the 70s did that commercial.

The Progressive commercial, on the other hand, was probably done by 20-something hipsters.

To be fair, the Isuzu commercial was probably also done by 20 year olds, but that was the point and it was appropriate since the 70s weren't that long ago at the time. They were dead serious about hitting the childhood nostalgia nerve to sell the f**king cars.

The Progressive commercial is trying to appeal to... who? I felt like I was watching some half-assed high school play in comparison.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:19am

Good points.

I thought they missed the mark with that supposedly-60s-style commercial with the blonde woman sitting at the drums that came out recently (I can't remember the product).

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:23am

Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

I call them all a waste of money.  They do nothing for ice cream except act as decoration.  Same with that stuff you squeeze onto cakes.  It's not even flavored other than "sweet".

Yeah, I know; I'm a killjoy.  LOL

Yea.  There's not a lot of flavor to them, but for some reason, I always liked them when I was a kid.  Really, they're almost flavorless wax that are chocolate colored.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:38am

Yeah, I guess they make the ice cream more "fun".  Kids like their food to be fun.  I used to like the chocolate dip on top of soft ice cream cones.  That, at least, had flavor.

Nowadays, I like my ice cream plain.  No caramel, no nuts, no cookie crumbs---just the ice cream.  In fact, just recently I got some frozen yogurt that was simply called "Euro Tart".  No particular flavor; just tart.

madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:58am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Oh... jimmies!!
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 4:05am
Thanks for the cultural tweak. These things are important!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 4:52pm

Well, yeah. It was actually done on film and tape as that was still common in 1998. That was my main problem with the Progressive commercial in the first place. Progressive didn't even want to do that.

Isuzu were selling a 90s car with a 70s toy commercial. That commercial required the right clothes, hair, body language, Slinky-inspired singing, etc. Even the camera angles were done correctly. Someone who actually grew up in the 70s did that commercial.

The Progressive commercial, on the other hand, was probably done by 20-something hipsters.

To be fair, the Isuzu commercial was probably also done by 20 year olds, but that was the point and it was appropriate since the 70s weren't that long ago at the time. They were dead serious about hitting the childhood nostalgia nerve to sell the f**king cars.

The Progressive commercial is trying to appeal to... who? I felt like I was watching some half-assed high school play in comparison.

I bet both of them were done tounge in cheek.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:50pm
It also looks like they taped this commercial on a VERY OLD VHS camcorder...just looks very grainy to me. I've seen some rather good VHS camcorders before but I suppose this one still needs a cleaning.

-crainbebo
Sick and tired of Charter Spectrum (and Flo!)
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 6:38pm

Good points.

I thought they missed the mark with that supposedly-60s-style commercial with the blonde woman sitting at the drums that came out recently (I can't remember the product).

I saw that one a few times and it still makes no sense. It's for some kind of booze. I guess that ad strategy is working well for them. 
'In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus to contribute something to solving overpopulation' - Deutsche Presse Agentur Prince Philiip (1988)
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:23pm
I believe it's Jambouie IIRC.

That Amigo commercial cracks me up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic