Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zales-'I want Candy' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zales-'I want Candy' (video)
    Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:51pm
Do you want some more candy?
No! Not Candy Crush soda spasms.

Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:35am
I'm sick of this song version. Its been used in Pringles, Candy Crush Soda, and others.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I'm sick of this song version. Its been used in Pringles, Candy Crush Soda, and others.

This one's a different version by a different group (i.e., not Bow Wow Wow).  Why they bothered to record it, I don't know.  It's not like they did anything much different with it.

ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 1:05am
Give me a break with this song, it's like that damn Salt N Pepa 'Push It.' This crappy tune is a lot older, I remember in the very early days of MTV with a lack of videos this Bow Wow Wow video was played at least once per hour! Couldn't stand it!  

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 1:19am

^  It goes back to the 60s...originally done by some kinda-fake band called The Strangeloves.  It was about Candy Johnson, some dancer chick back then who was in those beach party movies.

Go, Candy go!!!:

madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 2:09pm
I suspect what happens is that the ad agency buys the rights to use a song in their ads (or if they're really cheap, they go public domain). Then, they use the same song in campaigns for a bunch of different products.

Either that, or their creative director isn't.
Leon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:57pm
"I Want Candy" is annoying drivel.
Kris L. Walker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris L. Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 8:50pm
This song has got to be the most annoying, most overplayed song in commercial history. I didn't like it the first time I heard it, and I damn sure don't like it now. It's nerve racking, and makes me want to bury my head in a tank full of hungry lobsters. Just so I don't hear this wretched song. If I hear it one more time, I may just sell my television set, and start listening to radio 24/7. Sure, I may miss my favorite TV shows, but what's better,a captivating TV show or my sanity. I'll take my sanity, thank you very much.
Back from an unexpected hiatus. Time to rip ads a new one all over again.
Monica View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 1:57am
^ The fact that they had someone who was still a child singing a euphemism for sex(And, as an adult, she recalled thinking the candy really was about innocent puppy love when she sang it, because her adult bandmates told her it was) Should make you hate the song even more.
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:39am
The only candy I want is lollipops and ... Twix bars!  Tongue
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:42am

Originally posted by Monica Monica wrote:

^ The fact that they had someone who was still a child singing a euphemism for sex(And, as an adult, she recalled thinking the candy really was about innocent puppy love when she sang it, because her adult bandmates told her it was) Should make you hate the song even more.

Which version are you talking about?  This one, or Bow Wow Wow's?  The girl in this band looks to be in her mid-20s or so.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:52am
Thor, Bow Wow Wow's recording of "I Want Candy" was accomplished with 13-year-old Annabella Lwin as lead songstress.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:59am

I think she was more like 16 at the time.  Nevertheless, prior to I Want Candy, when she was 15, she did a song called Sexy Eiffel Tower in which she's on top of the tower, having sex with it, complete with orgasm sounds.  So, if "Monica" is referring to Bow Wow Wow, I really doubt the singer (Annabella) was clueless when she sang I Want Candy.

I remember Sexy Eiffel Tower being the top song of the year 1981 at a local SF college station.  That means Annabella was 15 when she did it.

Monica View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:04am
Yes. I was talking about Bow Wow Wow version of I Want Candy. Can't believe a minor, especially one that was only 13, was legally able to sing a song about sex. Can't believe her mother let her sing the song, and only behaved like a responsible parent when she took her daughter out of the group when she saw her daughter posing topless on the band's album cover.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:04am
Whoever thought of using that song in these ads really earned their pay, because annoying as it is, after you hear it a few times, it sticks in your head for days.

I was tinkering on the truck today & that's all I could hear inside my brain over & over & over again....

IIIIII want can - dy!!!!....

IIIIII want cannn - dy!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:12am

Originally posted by Monica Monica wrote:

Yes. I was talking about Bow Wow Wow version of I Want Candy. Can't believe a minor, especially one that was only 13, was legally able to sing a song about sex. Can't believe her mother let her sing the song, and only behaved like a responsible parent when she took her daughter out of the group when she saw her daughter posing topless on the band's album cover.

Annabella was born in 1966.  She recorded I Want Candy in 1982.  So she was 16.  See my previous post.

Also, the guys in the band got rid of her when they wanted to form another band.  Her mother had nothing to do with it.  She went solo and did songs such as Carsex and Aphrodisiac.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Whoever thought of using that song in these ads really earned their pay, because annoying as it is, after you hear it a few times, it sticks in your head for days.

I was tinkering on the truck today & that's all I could hear inside my brain over & over & over again....

IIIIII want can - dy!!!!....

IIIIII want cannn - dy!!!!

Shoulda gotten yourself a Milky Way.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:33am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Shoulda gotten yourself a Milky Way.

I have part of a Dollar Tree milk chocolate bar in the cupboard.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:37am

Is it one of those flat bars (like a Hershey's Bar), with a black wrapper?  I've had those.  They're pretty good.  Right now, I've got a bag of Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips.  They're supposed to be for baking, but they're really just little Hershey's kisses.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Is it one of those flat bars (like a Hershey's Bar), with a black wrapper?  I've had those.  They're pretty good.  Right now, I've got a bag of Ghirardelli milk chocolate "morsels".  They're supposed to be for baking, but they're really just little Hershey's kisses.

Yeah, it's like a big Hershey's bar, but it's in a blue wrapper.

It's one of these...

Pretty good!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 3:55am

Haven't seen those.  The Ghirardelli candy I got was 11.5 oz for $2.48 at Walmart.  Better deal.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 4:02am
Musta been these....

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Milka Ghiradelli Milka Ghiradelli wrote:

Mony Mony is one of Billy Idol's worst songs. Very annoying.
^ That reminds me, whatever happened to Milka Ghiradelli from San Francisco?  Only posted once.  I wonder if he'll ever return?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 4:23am
Wasn't a Billy Idol song anyway.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Wasn't a Billy Idol song anyway.
Yeah, but "people" who think that Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus because she was tired and didn't want to walk farther, thus sitting up front, wouldn't know anything about historical facts, would they?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic