Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too many channels showing "Titanic"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too many channels showing "Titanic"
    Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 2:11am
Here's a partial list of all the channels that have or will show Titanic--butchered with all the good parts edited and/or blurred out:

NBC 
A&E
Tv Land
VH1
TBS 
TNT
CMT (COUNTRY Music channel--WTF?)
Telemundo
Encore (at least two of their channels)

Why does every channel feel the need to show Titanic at some point in their miserable lives! Confused
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Sponsored Links

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:06am
I'm not sure, considering the movie is incredibly inaccurate to what really happened.
I'm almost certain that most of those people weren't concentrated on getting laid or having a romantic relationship. They were most likely concentrated on survival.

Of course, the sinking of a huge ocean-liner isn't interesting enough to the general population, for some reason. We have to throw in a cheesy and unnecessary romance plot.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 12:57pm
Who hasn't seen this Movie? Every Friday and Saturday, when I go Garage Sailing (Looking for what else?-VHS and DVD Movies and TV Shows LOL), 99% of the people selling Videos have AT LEAST on copy of Titanic for sale for anywhere between 50 cents to two dollars. With the exception of Encore, not only will this movie be hacked and slashed to stuff in the Ads, but they'll run it AT LEAST three times a day, and a month later you'll be able to recite the entire movie out of memory! It's the same with Movies as they do with the TV Series. Dead As for movies about this Disaster, IMO A Night to Remember RULES over all others. BTW The Author of the Book INTERVIEWED Surviving Passengers and Crew Members, as well as Passengers and Crews of the Steamers Carpathian and Californian before he wrote his Book, many of them were also invited to the Premeres of this Movie in the UK, France and the US!

BTW the Book was REQUIRED Reading in my High School Literature Class. When the Class I was in got to the part where the ship finally sunk, I instigated a little controversy when I decribed the ship's last moments afloat. The book mentioned how the stern stuck up out of the sea, there was a lot of noise (Said to be fixtures such as deck chairs, furnature, anything that wasn't bolted down), then it mentioned how the stern SETTLED DOWN IN THE WATER, then popped up one more time before finally going under. This didn't sound right to me, IMO something WIERD was happening, and it didn't sound kapish with me. Confused  The Teacher asked me if I could stand before the class to do a presentation, I then got up and did a demonstration. Across the hall from the Literature Class were the Art Classes, I went to one and got a piece of cardboard, Scissors and an X-Acto Knife. Using these I made a crude cardboard cutout of the ship. I then stood before the class and did my demonstration, taking the cutout behind the Teacher's desk (Its surface stood in for the Ocean, a stack of Books stood in for the "Iceberg"). I then dipped the bow below the "surface", citing word for word the description of the ships final moments. The Instructor and the class agreed with me on this, but then I said WAIT, I now went to the FRONT of the desk, "sinking" the ship a second time, with the entire ship visible to all. When I got to the park where the stern "settled" back, I pointed out how the front of the vessel, most of which was underwater (and filled with water) HAD to rise for the stern to settle! I asked if there were any Physics Students in the class because I KNEW some Physics Laws were definately being BROKEN, unfortunately there were no such Students in the Class. The Class's "Official" Explanation was that the Survivors were adrift in the Lifeboats, and what they saw was caused by the angle of the ship changing as they drifted in a currant. I couldn't buy that, and eight years later when Dr. Ballard discovered the Titanic's final resting place did I get "vindicated" when it was discovered the ship had broken in two before going under.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

Of course, the sinking of a huge ocean-liner isn't interesting enough to the general population, for some reason. We have to throw in a cheesy and unnecessary romance plot.

Don't forget the cheesy and unnecessary Celine Dion song.  The fact that they chose to go with a modern singer and a modern style (rather than Tin Pan Alley music or something) tells me that "history" was not at the crux of the movie.

Per Wikipedia:
Cameron's inspiration for the film was predicated on his fascination with shipwrecks; he wanted to convey the emotional message of the tragedy, and felt that a love story interspersed with the human loss would be essential to achieving this.

Really?  If I want to know about the Titanic, I'd rather watch a documentary.  I'm pretty sure a documentary wouldn't throw in a love story.

Cameron should just admit that the reason he threw in the love story angle was to lure the female audience to the theater.

Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 5:33pm

Although the special effects were impressive (it's a movie best viewed on the big screen, which I did when it first came out) the dialogue is often so bad it's unintentially hilarious.  The best parts all belonged to Kathy Bates and the late, lovely Gloria Stewart.  I think Kate Winslet is ugly.  I call her "Man-Face".  You know..like "Man-Hands" from Seinfeld... LOL  Off topic..but I can think of 2 other movies that seem to be on CONSTANTLY lately:  "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Goodfellas".  I love both, and often just watch them.  I don't want to get sick of them, though! 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:13pm
It fills a big time slot. Titanic, in original form, runs around 3 agonizing hours long. Put it on TV and it'll get stretched to 4 hours with commercials.
The documentaries are almost as bad. "Titanic: the new evidence" , "Titanic: what really happened."
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 8:10pm
This movie is 14 years old, now WHY would numerous channels air it today? WTF? The movie is highly inaccurate in how the ship sunk. The latest evidence revealed that ship broke in two at a shallower angle. 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

This movie is 14 years old, now WHY would numerous channels air it today? WTF? The movie is highly inaccurate in how the ship sunk. The latest evidence revealed that ship broke in two at a shallower angle. 
Cry(Pleauuuz don't make me cry! Splllzzzzzzt! It's a friggin' 'women's love story', doncha know, AdN...no real man has ever seen the movie).

I'd say the Titanic was really 'rasied wrong, and thus sunk to new lows', but it has never been raised.
It was just built cheap - and that is hard to really say as it was the most advanced ship of its time - problem is, at the seams, they took a fatal 'short-cut'...
No matter...tickets are still available for the 'real deal'; if'n ya don't wanna see the movie, well, send the 'weepy wife' for a 'first class showing' - be sure and have flowers ready. 

Logo

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 9:20pm
Pa's right.  Never seen the movie. 

However, I was always interested in the Titanic.  I read, "A Night to Remember" as a youth and have seen that movie many times.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 10:00pm
Yep, steel vs. cast iron rivets. This is a classic make out movie if the guy is patient enough.  
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Pa's right.  Never seen the movie. 

However, I was always interested in the Titanic.  I read, "A Night to Remember" as a youth and have seen that movie many times.

Me too, Hooty!

And I have to say, this was the most eye gouging, lamest movie I have ever seen. I wanted to watch it because they kept saying how particular they were to every detail (i.e. wall paper, mouldings, luggage etc). but the movie was so F**ing annoying and insincere, I wanted to put my foot through the television.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 10:09pm
BTW There is one Historical "Inaccuracy" in the Movie A Night to Remember. After the Titanic Sinks, Officer Lightoller is seen transferring survivors from one lifeboat to another. One of the survivors is revealed to be a man, who dressed in Woman's Clothes so he could get on a Lifeboat. In reality, this has NEVER been confirmed.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

BTW There is one Historical "Inaccuracy" in the Movie A Night to Remember. After the Titanic Sinks, Officer Lightoller is seen transferring survivors from one lifeboat to another. One of the survivors is revealed to be a man, who dressed in Woman's Clothes so he could get on a Lifeboat. In reality, this has NEVER been confirmed.

If that happened, good thing for him it was never confirmed.  It'd suck to have to live with that legacy.

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 5:26am
Really, I think the idea behind this movie is that, as a society, most people can't handle this kind of stuff without a cheesy heartwarming plot being thrown in. Either that or people aren't interested in genuine historical facts anymore, the only way they'd see a movie about an international tragedy that happened nearly a hundred years ago is if they got to see a damned love story.

Personally, I've always been interested in history, and even as a kid I was disappointed to learn that this movie had damn near nothing in common with the actual incident. Apparently, tragedy and history just aren't soft enough or interesting enough without some arbitrary plot thrown in.

Just wait. They'll make a movie about 9/11 with a romance plot, someday. God forbid, but if they wait as long as they did with Titanic, there won't be many left to fight it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 2:03pm
Zach, I don't even like dramatic reenactments of historical events in documentaries, especially when there's plenty of actual footage that can be used instead.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 10:14pm

Personally, I've always been interested in history, and even as a kid I was disappointed to learn that this movie had damn near nothing in common with the actual incident. Apparently, tragedy and history just aren't soft enough or interesting enough without some arbitrary plot thrown in.

Probably why Hollywood added love scenes to the Pearl Harbor movie.  Dec. 7 - the day of infamy- the day we entered WWII - thousands killed - our Navy all but scuttled....... but they made it a romance movie.Thumbs Down
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 6:36pm

Precisely why I never saw the flick.  When I was a pup I was the resident Titanic expert in the afterschool group (that was fun, what one of the teachers started as a rainy-day project turned into a whole quarter on various aspects of the sinking, everyone did history/science presentations among other fun stuff), and I knew that anything primarily billed as a love story was going to throw any type of accuracy to the winds.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 7:31pm
If you think this is bad, wait 'til next year when it's the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking. This movie will be on EVERY channel on a continuous loop.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

If you think this is bad, wait 'til next year when it's the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking. This movie will be on EVERY channel on a continuous loop.

I Agree! Five will get you ten it will be "Death by Titanic"!Angry If my calculations are correct here's what well see the stations showing ALL DAY - Especially the week of April 14!

Titanic (1953)

A Night to Remember

S.O.S. Titanic

Titanic (1996 Made for TV)

and of Course Titanic (1997)

For a good measure they will also include:

The Last Voyage

The Poseidon Adventure

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

The Poseidon Adventure (2005 made for TV)

Poseidon

And since these movies feature a Shipwreck they'll toss in:

The Blue Lagoon (1949)

The Blue Lagoon (1980)

I think I'll spend the week at Sea World, Aquatica, Busch Gardens and Adventure Island, since I have that "Platinum Pass" that includes them all! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Off topic..but I can think of 2 other movies that seem to be on CONSTANTLY lately:  "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Goodfellas".  I love both, and often just watch them.  I don't want to get sick of them, though! 

THANK YOU!!! ClapClapClap

I think I could see "Goodfellas" just about every night.

They're doing the same thing with The Godfather and Godfather II (GF III doesn't appear nearly as often, which is probably just as well Disapprove ) and Scarface. Not to mention Sweet Home Alabama, Saving Private Ryan, and Jurassic Park. All great flicks, but they're getting way overexposed.
Hundreds of threads killed.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Never seen the movie.  

You only need to see the first 10 mins or so (on the salvage ship) and the last few mins (also on the salvage ship.)  Those are the best parts of the movie.  The rest is a waste of your life....

The "I'm the king of the world!" scene would have been vastly improved if a seagull had kamikazied into his fat fCensoreding face....

Not one mention of the real cause of the sinking:  The cursed Egyptian mummy being transported in the hold.  Disappointing....

And coming soon to your TV:  Law & Order: Titanic

(4 part Titanic mini-series also in the works.  Surprise, surprise....)
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 8:11am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

The "I'm the king of the world!" scene would have been vastly improved if a seagull had kamikazied into his fat fCensoreding face...

Or if the Ship hit a wave, knocking him OVERBOARD! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

They're doing the same thing with The Godfather and Godfather II (GF III doesn't appear nearly as often, which is probably just as well Disapprove ) and Scarface. Not to mention Sweet Home Alabama, Saving Private Ryan, and Jurassic Park. All great flicks, but they're getting way overexposed.

For a while it was Dazed and Confused.  But the worst was years ago, when Smokey and the Bandit seemed to be on constantly.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

For a while it was Dazed and Confused.  But the worst was years ago, when Smokey and the Bandit seemed to be on constantly.

Aw, come on, those were classics!  Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 3:05pm

I like both of those movies, too, Hoot.  Sometimes, I use my cable "search" button to see if Smokey and the Bandit's gonna be on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic