Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 6:07am
50 footer is up.  It also snapped a pipe, but it was down low, so I slipped a smaller diameter pipe inside to reduce flex & cable tied the area tighter.  Only needs to hold up about 5 weeks. Wink  Probably the last year I'll do the big arches, so starting to look for cheap white lights for the next project (it's going to be a half dome, not sure how big yet...)
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 5:26pm
I stumbled on to an interesting tidbit of information today.  Mariska Hagatay, who plays Olivia Benson on the show 'Law And Order SVU', was in the car when her mother (Jayne Mansfield) was killed when she rear ended a semi truck.  This triggered action by the NTSB.  Since then, 1967, semi trailers were required to put re-enforced steel bumpers on the back of the trailers to help prevent cars from going under the trailer. Thus, preventing serious injury or death from decapitation.  It is now called the 'Mansfield Bar'.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:52pm
Mama, has her Christmas spirit going!  Still pretty mild outside, that's why the windows are open.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:24pm
I had a little practice in the art of persuasion just now.  I asked Mama, how about something different?

There was one catch, she had to go get it.

Tanner's Tap & Grill

She wasn't too keen on the idea...You're not very nice!  I said.  I can't do much of anything without my crutches today.  I started reading (out loud) some of the items on the menu.

Mozz Stix

$5.50
with marinara

Onion Rings

$4.50

Jalapeño Popper

$4.95

I'm starting to get a positive reaction...Tongue

Combo Platter

$8.50
Includes mozz stix, onion rings, jalapeño poppers, cheese nuggets, deep fried pickles, spicy green beans, broccoli bites, breaded mushrooms & marinara sauce

It's a WIN WIN!!

She's in there making mouthgasms now.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:10pm
It's been a very mild start to our winter season.  Temps above normal with below normal precipitation.

We may not even have a white Christmas,  very rare in this part of the country.

And yes, Mama is still here.  She has known her friend (Lora) since she was a kid in high school. She gets a little needy sometimes. Ala Karaoke night!

How many married 58 year old women hang out in a bar on a Saturday night?  Are guys hitting on her?
Damned right they are!  She is still a very attractive woman.  And I know about her sex drive.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 6:00am
Had good timing today.  Found Xmas lights half off at HD, so stocked up for next year's project.  Thumbs Up
Scanned another few hundred items the past few days, another few thousand to go.  Wink  Can't wait to get to the slides (but I will.)  I don't think they've been looked at for near 40 years...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
^  You should take a pic of some of your decorations, sometime.  Wink

Judge Milian...Do you have a phone, does your phone take pictures?

I had to go out and get a few things to prepare for Christmas. Just domestic stuff for everyday life when the stores are closed tomorrow.
Gas
Firewood
Milk
Swiss Miss for Mama
Food for today and tomorrow. Mama will go to her youngest daughter's place for Christmas. I'm staying at home just because I can.

Mama had some chicken strips, I have a double burger and mashed potatoes for later today. I have two  more sausage patties for breakfast tomorrow, sausage gravy on toast.  And a large order of chili from Culvers for the afternoon on Tuesday.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 5:42pm
I went to get some more firewood a little while ago, the guy saw me from inside his building.  He had a $20 load in a wheel barrow inside so it was dry.  Dry, is a relative term. I really shouldn't be burning this guy's wood. It's not seasoned, high moisture content. It's difficult to start a fire with it, it coats my flue pipe with dangerous deposits. The pieces are usually too big to maintain a hot fire.

It's so damned convenient, I don't have to take too many steps and that's a big deal to me.  I've been using my maul (yellow handle) to split the wood to a more useful size.  That is causing me more pain also.

I got my little 'Earthquake' electric splitter out of the shed! And yes, I'm a picture taking fool.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 6:17pm

Recuperation is over.  Heading back to work next week.  Thumbs UpThumbs Down 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
I hope they give you a good position, you seemed happy in the back room taking in shipments.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Take it slow, Bobo and control stress at all costs. Congrats and good luck.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 1:10am
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 5:29pm
^LOLLOL

Mama done gone and left me all alone. Cry

She is sitting with the grand kids while mom and dad attend the Packer game.  Brrrrr!  We were at Daytona in 2007, it was 50 degrees and windy. I thought I was dressed warm but I almost froze my thingy off.

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 8:03am

Congratulations on your recuperation.  I hope you are feeling quite spiffy and ready to rock it!  BUT, please take good care of yourself!!!  At all costs!!!  It's not worth hurting yourself or getting sick over a job.  I hope you can get less strenuous and stressful work.  You should get disability and take it easy anyway.  Hoping for the best!  Thumbs Up  Big smile

Also, I hope you and your bro had a very Merry Christmas!

Happy New Year Thor!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 8:43pm
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, I plan on taking it easier.  But after two years screaming about it (and then one year having given up), they've finally seen that my job does, indeed, require a second person (as it had previously had).  I now have a work partner.  Life should be getting easier.  Of course, that remains to be seen.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:25pm

Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, I plan on taking it easier.  But after two years screaming about it (and then one year having given up), they've finally seen that my job does, indeed, require a second person (as it had previously had).  I now have a work partner.  Life should be getting easier.  Of course, that remains to be seen.

Wink...for some odd reason, your life-changing experience just had me hearing this song in my head...and I bet it applies, especially the final line...
Glad you are back in 'The Land of the Living'.Big smile
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:01pm
I'm totally sick and tired of all these isolationists pushing 'Gay Pride', 'Black Lives Matter', 'Year of the Woman', and so forth. The activists in many of these groups have NO idea of the roles many, including myself, played in the past so they could be here now...which now leaves me sometimes incorrectly flagged as a homophobic racist male chauvinist. If only the thankless & clearly history-ignorant/self-important new flag wavers had a clue of what we stood for, what we accomplished, and why we did it a few generations back, but they have no clue. Now my brother tells me he knows and he will defend my family's honor and that I can now be 'retired' while I've come to the conclusion today's youth are basically idiots as now all these splinter factions are driving the grand accomplishments and base of their very success into the mud and resurrecting old hatreds all over, although new segregationists (and that is what they are) have to remain 'politically correct', 'manage feelings', and become uglier than ever 'under the radar', while demanding we accept and treat them as 'equals', or WE will 'pay the price'. I do not recall why we never got euthanasia legalized - we would have been able to correct all of this before it got so far out of hand. Yea, get off my lawn!
LOLWink
😜 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:53pm
Being the man of the household, here at the aka ranch, can be dangerous! I bought this splitter years ago after a huge wind storm knocked down a lot of trees on a lot we owned in Waushara county.  I'm well aware of what can go wrong.  I'm positive that I injured my hip while working up there, great investment. Huh?
 Anyway, back to my point!  I got stabbed in the hand, it didn't leave a splinter but it did bleed! And finally, this scared me!  If the logs aren't cut at the proper 90 degree angle, it can cause problem while trying to split it. There is a convex point on the ram to keep the piece of wood in the same place. The controls are in a place that helps keep you out of the way of flying wood.  TODAY! This one particular piece of wood...It went flying straight up in the air!  The ceiling in the garage is probably close to ten feet, there are the rails for the garage doors and some fluorescent lights I've added.  Not to mention Mama's Edge sitting right there.  It seemed like 5 seconds, this hunk of wood lands right next to me after hitting nothing.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm
^  Careful there!!!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I'm totally sick and tired of all these isolationists pushing 'Gay Pride', 'Black Lives Matter', 'Year of the Woman', and so forth. The activists in many of these groups have NO idea of the roles many, including myself, played in the past so they could be here now...which now leaves me sometimes incorrectly flagged as a homophobic racist male chauvinist. If only the thankless & clearly history-ignorant/self-important new flag wavers had a clue of what we stood for, what we accomplished, and why we did it a few generations back, but they have no clue. Now my brother tells me he knows and he will defend my family's honor and that I can now be 'retired' while I've come to the conclusion today's youth are basically idiots as now all these splinter factions are driving the grand accomplishments and base of their very success into the mud and resurrecting old hatreds all over, although new segregationists (and that is what they are) have to remain 'politically correct', 'manage feelings', and become uglier than ever 'under the radar', while demanding we accept and treat them as 'equals', or WE will 'pay the price'. I do not recall why we never got euthanasia legalized - we would have been able to correct all of this before it got so far out of hand. Yea, get off my lawn!
LOLWink
😜 

Yeah, I've heard all this referred to as "the new racism", "the new puritanism", etc.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:07pm
Mama has brake light out on the Edge. She's going to town to meet her daughters and her mom for lunch.

Her mom, my MIL, had a birthday just last week. The girls are picking up the tab. I looked up the number for the bulb and asked her to pick one up.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

LOLWink
😜 

Yeah, I've heard all this referred to as "the new racism", "the new puritanism", etc.

Precisely what it is and RAPIDLY gearing us up for a 'blast from the past' (which I sure hope is not another church in Birmingham, or some flavor of Kent State). Today's overly-proud and even more ignorant have absolutely NO idea of where they are pushing society...
Image result for church in birmingham bombing
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:16am
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:18am
We are going to have a house guest for the next 10 days, she's a great old dog. I guess she is almost completely deaf now. We got a email from Mama's friend about caring for the dog.  This is from the last time she was here.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 6:50pm
Just enough snow to be a PITA!  Our old house guest is missing mom and dad.,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 197>
  Share Topic