Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 38 minutes ago at 5:17pm
I mowed the lawn. I always get a little depressed when I look at the yard.  The front yard is perfect, I had to mow it twice this past week so it wouldn't be so clumpy.  The back yard, that's another story.

I think I know what the problems are.  There is just one tree in the front yard, an Ash with a 20 inch trunk.
The whole front yard gets a fair amount of sun all day long.  4 sprinklers are set at a 180 degree spray pattern.  Twice the volume of water compared to the sprinklers in the back yard.

I need to add 2 valves so I can isolate both sides of the front yard, turn those sprinklers off and water just the back yard. There are 5 BIG trees in the back yard. Not only do they block a lot of the sunlight, they suck all of the moisture out of the ground.

I need to aerate too.
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 5 minutes ago at 6:50pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I mowed the lawn. I always get a little depressed when I look at the yard.  The front yard is perfect, I had to mow it twice this past week so it wouldn't be so clumpy.  The back yard, that's another story.

I think I know what the problems are.  There is just one tree in the front yard, an Ash with a 20 inch trunk.
The whole front yard gets a fair amount of sun all day long.  4 sprinklers are set at a 180 degree spray pattern.  Twice the volume of water compared to the sprinklers in the back yard.

I need to add 2 valves so I can isolate both sides of the front yard, turn those sprinklers off and water just the back yard. There are 5 BIG trees in the back yard. Not only do they block a lot of the sunlight, they suck all of the moisture out of the ground.

I need to aerate too.

If you asked me (which you didn't but when has that ever stopped me before?) you need to worry less about your yard.

I mowed mine Friday evening. I was hoping we'd get a long stretch of dry weather so it wouldn't grow so fast, but last night we got a crapload of rain like I haven't seen in awhile. Came down hard a lasted long.

Now my grass is growing like crazy again.

I hate summer.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 55 minutes ago at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I've watched enough of those home renovation shows to wonder...

...just how did my bro and I survive childhood not growing up in a house with an open concept floor plan?  These yuppie couples buying these $700,000 houses and still "needing" to do $200,000 in renovations make it sound as though if they aren't able to see their kids from the kitchen, the kids will most assuredly die.  LOL

Yuppies are mindless sheep.

I watch This Old House a lot and see that silliness all the time.

People will take a perfectly good old place, rip the guts out and totally remodel it at the cost of mega bucks.

Dumb.

I know this lady who, with her husband, sold their house down here after their kids were all grown. Moved into an old house they had earlier purchased real cheap up in W. Virginia. All in order to "downsize" their lives.

Been doing nothing but renovating and re-doing since they've been there.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 46 minutes ago at 8:09pm
^  My guess is now that the kids are outta the house, they need something else (that's not each other) to focus on.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 11 minutes ago at 9:44pm

^  My guess is now that the kids are outta the house, they need something else (that's not each other) to focus on.

Could have something to do with it, though they do have one or two grandchildren who they babysit a lot.

I'm thinking it's mostly, if not all the gal (my friend) who's driving it because most of it has been interior stuff like remodeling of the kitchen etc. They put a new roof on too, but that might've been more out of necessity.

I think she's just one of these gals whose never satisfied with her living space, furniture, etc, etc.

Funny thing is, when they first sold their old house after the kids moved out, they bought a two story duplex townhouse across town to be closer to their son, DIL and granddaughter. Two months after they moved in, son and DIL announce that they're quitting their jobs down here and moving to DC.

So my friend and her husband sold the place they'd just moved into and moved to their W. Virginia house.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 29 minutes ago at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Could have something to do with it, though they do have one or two grandchildren who they babysit a lot.

I'm thinking it's mostly, if not all the gal (my friend) who's driving it because most of it has been interior stuff like remodeling of the kitchen etc. They put a new roof on too, but that might've been more out of necessity.

I think she's just one of these gals whose never satisfied with her living space, furniture, etc, etc.

Funny thing is, when they first sold their old house after the kids moved out, they bought a two story duplex townhouse across town to be closer to their son, DIL and granddaughter. Two months after they moved in, son and DIL announce that they're quitting their jobs down here and moving to DC.

So my friend and her husband sold the place they'd just moved into and moved to their W. Virginia house.

Sounds like maybe the kids tried to escape them.  LOL

Neighbs across the street are having the inside of their house remodeled.  In their mid and late 60s, they decided they needed that open concept thing.  No doubt there are hardwood floors involved.  There always are, especially now that carpeting is considered something only hillbillies would have.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 53 minutes ago at 11:02pm

Sounds like maybe the kids tried to escape them.  LOL

Could be, but then again, I kinda doubt they'd purposely try to lose their free, anytime as long as they need it babysitting service.

Probably figured mom would go to any lengths to be near them.

The son & DIL live outside DC somewhere about 50 miles or so from Mom & Dad Free Babysitting Service, Inc.

Close enough to visit occasionally but too far to be dropping in constantly with the kid.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114
  Share Topic