Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 4:42am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

"Piece" is what it is.  Piece of sh*t.

I honestly can't imagine who listens to this sort of stuff.

Listen to it?  How about writing it?  LOL  I figure they are tone deaf or have no sense of rhythm or melody, but it sounds great to them...  Geek
LOL And there in is the 'kicker'!
How do you play a title the same way twice?
How would your fans know if you played the most-requested piece?
I couldn't imagine it would be easy, but THAT is where Fripp and King Crimson could stand alone.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well, it rivals Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music in its sheer unlistenability.

I've always been confused that the same Lou Reed could produce something as brilliant as Rock and Roll Animal and the noise you are referring to.Confused
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

^ first I laughed for awhile

Then I realized it goes on for 28 minutes and 16 seconds and I thought "#$@& it!" And turned it off

Sounds like one of those early 'modernist' pieces.

"Piece" is what it is.  Piece of sh*t.

If anyone chooses to click onto that, all you need to hear is 10 seconds.  It's the same for 28 more minutes.

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

ConfusedWow. Sounds like punked-out metal abstract jazz, or maybe one of Robert Fripp's early King Crimson efforts (I'm not joking - sounds like some of the stuff around the time of 'Larks Tongue In Aspic'), without discipline. It isn't an unusual style or new, nothing you'd take a date to or play on the sundeck during your neighborhood pool party.

I expect this sort of noise in old, dirty. smoky basement bars at 3 A.M., in Berlin, after a hard night of drinking and other bad choices, including food, when you can't feel any worse than you already do. Takes a true sadist or an imperfect idiot to fall into this lifestyle, but it exists all around you.

I suspect it is an acquired taste and good noise for that next acid trip.

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Quote "Piece" is what it is.  Piece of sh*t.

Listen to it?  How about writing it?  LOL  I figure they are tone deaf or have no sense of rhythm or melody, but it sounds great to them...  Geek

I'm not trying to imply that I am any sort of fan, afficionado or expert on the genre, which is known as "atonal music", and has been around since the early twentieth century, or that I even understand it on a technical or artistic level.

But that having been said, I believe you all are giving short shrift to the legitimacy of it as a musical form as well as the depth of musical knowledge required to write and produce it.

Quote BENDING AN EAR TO ATONAL MUSIC

Atonality is a condition of music in which the constructs of the music do not “live” within the confines of a particular key signature, scale, or mode. To the uninitiated listener, atonal music can sound like chaotic, random noise. However, atonality is one of the most important movements in 20th century music. After you realize the amount of knowledge, skill, and technical expertise required to compose or perform it, your tune may change, so to speak.

In tonal music, one tone functions as a sort of center of gravity, and the other tones in the chromatic scale are “attracted” to it in varying degrees of strength. But in atonal music, there is no gravity. You’re allowed to use any of the 12 tones in the chromatic scale any way you like. But how do you wrap a sense of form around that amount of freedom?

ATONALITY AND FORM

In 1908, pianist Arnold Schoenberg became the first known composer to write a purely atonal composition. “You lean against a silver-willow” was the 13th song in his musical collection entitled The Book of the Hanging Gardens, op. 15. It was during this time that he first defined a 12-tone system of composition to replace tonality as an organizational tool.
In this 12-tone system, Schoenberg believed that no tone should be more important than another in a musical composition. All 12 tones were to be introduced in an order chosen by the composer. Throughout the composition, these same tones must recur in the same order in notes or chords. No tone can recur until all eleven other tones in the series (or tone row) have recurred.
There were a few accepted modifications to this rule. For example, you could move all the tones up or down by a certain interval, retaining the interval relationships of the original series. You could even go in reverse (retrograde).

LISTENING FOR ATONALITY

Some composers can hear atonal melodies in their heads just as easily as they can hear tonal ones. This kind of musical imagination is somewhat rare, but if you have it, great! Don’t be afraid to get it down somehow. Write it, record it, seal it in a jar. If you think it sounds good and you can communicate it so that others can eventually hear it, it may have a place in the world — no matter how weird it may seem to your relatives.

Don’t be afraid to try mixing a little atonality with your tonal compositions to add a little spice.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Well, it rivals Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music in its sheer unlistenability.

I've always been confused that the same Lou Reed could produce something as brilliant as Rock and Roll Animal and the noise you are referring to.Confused

From what I understand, he did MMM just to fulfill a contractual obligation, sort of thumbing his nose at the record company.

R+R Animal was a one-time thing.  He never did that really great hard rock stuff again.

I saw him about 10 years ago at the Mountain Winery.  He didn't do anything even close to rock and roll.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

ConfusedWow. Sounds like punked-out metal abstract jazz, or maybe one of Robert Fripp's early King Crimson efforts (I'm not joking - sounds like some of the stuff around the time of 'Larks Tongue In Aspic'), without discipline. It isn't an unusual style or new, nothing you'd take a date to or play on the sundeck during your neighborhood pool party.

I expect this sort of noise in old, dirty. smoky basement bars at 3 A.M., in Berlin, after a hard night of drinking and other bad choices, including food, when you can't feel any worse than you already do. Takes a true sadist or an imperfect idiot to fall into this lifestyle, but it exists all around you.

I suspect it is an acquired taste and good noise for that next acid trip.

I'm not trying to imply that I am any sort of fan, afficionado or expert on the genre, which is known as "atonal music", and has been around since the early twentieth century, or that I even understand it on a technical or artistic level.

But that having been said, I believe you all are giving short shrift to the legitimacy of it as a musical form as well as the depth of musical knowledge required to write and produce it.

Quote BENDING AN EAR TO ATONAL MUSIC

Atonality is a condition of music in which the constructs of the music do not “live” within the confines of a particular key signature, scale, or mode. To the uninitiated listener, atonal music can sound like chaotic, random noise. However, atonality is one of the most important movements in 20th century music. After you realize the amount of knowledge, skill, and technical expertise required to compose or perform it, your tune may change, so to speak.

In tonal music, one tone functions as a sort of center of gravity, and the other tones in the chromatic scale are “attracted” to it in varying degrees of strength. But in atonal music, there is no gravity. You’re allowed to use any of the 12 tones in the chromatic scale any way you like. But how do you wrap a sense of form around that amount of freedom?

ATONALITY AND FORM

In 1908, pianist Arnold Schoenberg became the first known composer to write a purely atonal composition. “You lean against a silver-willow” was the 13th song in his musical collection entitled The Book of the Hanging Gardens, op. 15. It was during this time that he first defined a 12-tone system of composition to replace tonality as an organizational tool.
In this 12-tone system, Schoenberg believed that no tone should be more important than another in a musical composition. All 12 tones were to be introduced in an order chosen by the composer. Throughout the composition, these same tones must recur in the same order in notes or chords. No tone can recur until all eleven other tones in the series (or tone row) have recurred.
There were a few accepted modifications to this rule. For example, you could move all the tones up or down by a certain interval, retaining the interval relationships of the original series. You could even go in reverse (retrograde).

LISTENING FOR ATONALITY

Some composers can hear atonal melodies in their heads just as easily as they can hear tonal ones. This kind of musical imagination is somewhat rare, but if you have it, great! Don’t be afraid to get it down somehow. Write it, record it, seal it in a jar. If you think it sounds good and you can communicate it so that others can eventually hear it, it may have a place in the world — no matter how weird it may seem to your relatives.

Don’t be afraid to try mixing a little atonality with your tonal compositions to add a little spice.

ConfusedIf you listen to Schoenberg, you'd think he accidentally picked the wrong mushrooms for his stew, during that period. Otherwise, his classical works are very nice and relaxing. As far as Thor's choice - they're actually classified as 'JAZZ', The woman on sax has dipped into 'atonal',  but I just wouldn't want to classify Thor's contribution as 'atonal'. I'm certain *my* description doesn't discredit.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 5:49am
Quote Atonality is a condition of music in which the constructs of the music do not “live” within the confines of a particular key signature, scale, or mode. To the uninitiated listener, atonal music can sound like chaotic, random noise. (It is.  "The Emperor has no clothes!") However, atonality is one of the most important (bowel) movements in 20th century music. After you realize the amount of knowledge, skill, and technical expertise required to compose or perform it (very little) , your tune may change, so to speak.

The few times I heard it (long ago on PBS radio, when they still had music programming), it sounded like somebody who had never played a musical instrument before (badly) trying to.  No, not even trying.  It was just plain sh*t.  Even just-starting-out teen garage bands sound better (and at least they can improve. LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:03pm
I had a little spill the other evening, I was putting the dog out and the garage floor was a little wet from traffic and me using the hose earlier.
One of her hind legs slips out to the side so I had to make a sudden move to avoid stepping on her leg.
My foot then slipped and I was the one that went down.
I put my arm out to break my fall but the space heater caught me in the back on the right side about a third of the way up my ribcage. OUCH!

The toughest thing is sleeping, I normally toss and turn 6, 8 or 10 times a night.
It is VERY painful to roll over in bed and find comfort in any position but flat on my back.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:54am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I had a little spill the other evening, I was putting the dog out and the garage floor was a little wet from traffic and me using the hose earlier.
One of her hind legs slips out to the side so I had to make a sudden move to avoid stepping on her leg.
I put my arm out to break my fall but the space heater caught me in the back on the right side about a third of the way up my ribcage. OUCH!

The toughest thing is sleeping, I normally toss and turn 6, 8 or 10 times a night.
It is VERY painful to roll over in bed and find comfort in any position but flat on my back.

That sounds painful!!!

Hope you're OK!!!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:40am
^ Thanks Jimbo.

I don't think I've ever had an injury quite like this before.  I am sleeping better and more.

Mama had to wake me up because I was snoring while sleeping on my back.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 2:14pm
Was the skin broken? Any cuts or scrapes involved?

That would make it much worse.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:49pm

No cuts or abrasions, not even a bruise. Just some swelling.

This is day 4 and I'm surprised it is taking so long to heal.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 4:40am

Hope you're ok aka. If the pain is still there, think it might be wise to go get an x-ray? could it be a fracture?
Lookie here - we DON'T want to take you out behind the barn and put you down - the shells cost too much and the board would miss you...so get better, okeydokey?Wink
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:07am
^  Thanks, PaW.

I get by with a little help from my friends here on the forum. Thumbs Up

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:39am
Down to the last 1x2x3 foot chunk of log.  And the teeth of the chainsaw wore out with just that little bit left to go. Angry Going to try and sharpen the teeth with a whetstone for that final push (no sense in putting on a new chain just to dull it.)  It was a combo of sand and dense heartwood that did in the chain.  Still have the backup (ax) if need be...  Big smile
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:56am
Borrowed a neighbor's chainsaw & finished off the log & hauled the chunks to the curb.  Still have to rake up chips & sawdust, but that project is finally done...  Party
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:26am
I think today may be the day, the day I cancel the cable TV. We are in a period of transition.
Avoid wasteful spending...$73.97 a month for the TV service. Those bastards charge us $13.98 a month for 2 receivers. I think I have paid for these fking receivers 3 or 4 times now! Angry

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 4:02pm
This first connection was easy. I have 5 TVs connected to the same receiver.
Just take the cable out wire and hook it to the antenna out plug.
The converter allows both co-ax and the more modern 3 wire (component) connection. That's the one I was using for the big TV.

The TV in our bedroom will be more difficult, I will have to go down to the hellish, claustrophobic abyss that is the crawlspace.

I didn't even make it through all of the channels and I found an old episode of American Justice with Bill Curtis on the Escape channel.  Thumbs Up
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:34pm
If you're in the market for an antenna, check out SOLIDSIGNAL.com.

Great company and great deals!!!

Close to you, too.

I think they're located in Michigan.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:55pm
I just called Charter...what a hard nosed prick of a salesman was he.  Angry

"I can knock $30 off your bill if you make no changes!"  "Your internet will go up to $73!"

STFU!!!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:28pm

If you're in the market for an antenna, check out SOLIDSIGNAL.com.

Great company and great deals!!!

Close to you, too.

I think they're located in Michigan.
The reception looks pretty good.

This is what I have now, or something similar to it. It's on a 10 foot pole on the peak of the house.

Probably about 35 feet in the air.

Winegard HD 7084P
Lo band VHF/Hi band VHF/UHF/HD/FM

RANGE 60 TO 80 MILES +

DOUBLE BOOM CONSTRUCTION BUILT TO LAST

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:04pm
I'm pleased with what I am seeing, several hours of American Justice. Then they were showing Unsolved Mysteries, both of those were on Escape.

Now on Ion, Criminal Minds.

This was a big step for me, I am quite pleased with myself and so is Mama.

Edit: The antenna has an amplifier too. Big smile
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:42pm

Hope you're ok aka. If the pain is still there, think it might be wise to go get an x-ray? could it be a fracture?
Lookie here - we DON'T want to take you out behind the barn and put you down - the shells cost too much and the board would miss you...so get better, okeydokey?Wink
LOL
And thanks to CC as well.

I do have 2 fractured ribs, the back side of the ribcage.

Picture that lower rib bone, on my right, left in the picture rubbing into my liver.

I haven't had a drink in over a week.

I worked my butt off today with the antenna conversion, I think I'm OK now.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:23pm

This is what I have now, or something similar to it. It's on a 10 foot pole on the peak of the house.

That's nice, Ron!!!

How many channels do you get with it?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:33pm

That's nice, Ron!!!

How many channels do you get with it?

I have posted this before, you old Florida fart.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:57pm

I have posted this before, you old Florida fart.

Guess I just didn't permenantly burn that highly important bit of info into into my brain, Ron....

Looks like you all have a respectable number of OTA channels available up there, though. Assuming you actually get them all.

I'm assuming you do with that big 80 mile range antenna and signal amplifier.

We still get more down here though. A couple more PBS stations, a few more indy channels and three all movie channels.

You could actually subscribe to Netflix, Hulu and Acorn... and still pay less than half of what you were paying for cable.

I'm not suggesting you should, but you could.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 197>
  Share Topic