Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:31pm

The recliner used to be my best friend, when I was working hard and getting up early.

It was so easy to fall asleep.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:51pm
Those things will put you to sleep even when you don't want to go to sleep.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 6:13am
Ahmed the Bomb Clock Boy is back in the news

Quote Clock Boy's Defamation Lawsuit Against Broadcasters Who Reported On His "Cool Clock" Dismissed

The American Freedom Law Center gets a win, and now will go into the Bonus Round to seek lawyer's fees and sanctions against Clock Boy's dad (who filed the suit) and his lawyers.

Oh my, that last part is going to hurt...   LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:47pm
While I'm happy to hear that Clock Boy's lawsuit got tossed, I will say that, as for the rest of the story about so-called "lawfare" being waged by Islamic interests, if right-wing zealots wouldn't press the anti-Islam rhetoric so hard to begin with, maybe the pro-Islam side wouldn't feel compelled to push back too hard in the opposite direction.

AFAIC, the whole clock incident was pretty obviously the kid's own fault, and the authorities acted properly. But there is also no denying that in general, the right goes too far in impugning all Muslims for the actions of a relative few.

Neither side has clean hands in this.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:19pm
Perhaps if the left didn't turn a blind eye to the threat posed by Muslims in this world, and didn't empower such people as "Clock Boy", this kind of lawsuit wouldn't have even been considered.  As it happened, Clock Boy and Clock Boy Sr. totally played the left's Islamophilia, with even the Pres of the US hailing this kid as some sort of hero.

Think about it.  Why don't we have the same level of adoration for such people as the 7 y/o kid who chewed his Pop Tart into the shape of a pistol?  Shouldn't his suspension from school have warranted more media love and a trip to the White House?  Shouldn't he at least have had his suspension reversed?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Perhaps if the left didn't turn a blind eye to the threat posed by Muslims in this world, and didn't empower such people as "Clock Boy", this kind of lawsuit wouldn't have even been considered.  As it happened, Clock Boy and Clock Boy Sr. totally played the left's Islamophilia, with even the Pres of the US hailing this kid as some sort of hero.

Think about it.  Why don't we have the same level of adoration for such people as the 7 y/o kid who chewed his Pop Tart into the shape of a pistol?  Shouldn't his suspension from school have warranted more media love and a trip to the White House?  Shouldn't he at least have had his suspension reversed?

Which came first, the potato or the potahto?

You say the chicken and I say the egg. Whatever.

As much as the right gets their kicks falsely claiming otherwise, I don't see the left turning a blind eye to the threat of EXTREMIST Muslims. We just recognize that impugning ALL Muslims, which is what the right is GUILTY of, is wrong and unjust and exactly what the extremists want us to do.

So really, what the left is doing, is NOT playing into the extremists hands or giving them what they want, while the right IS.

Certainly, Clock Boy played to the occasionally and admittedly overly generous sympathy towards minorities, but in all honesty, it's been the aggressive bigotry of the right that put the left on the defensive to begin with.

The kid with the pop tart wasn't arrested by the police as far as I know, so invalid comparison.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 4:49pm
Just finished installing a new keyboard on my Acer laptop.

Piece of cake.

My old one started going bad a few months ago. It started out with the letter f not working. I'd have to tap it several times before the character would appear. Then it stopped working altogether, so I'd have to find another f somewhere else on the page and copy/paste it in. 

Then some other keys began to fail including some number keys. That was bad news for entering passwords, etc.

So I found a video on YouTube that showed how to replace it.

Then I went to eBay and found a brand new one made for my exact make & model.

$13.35 + FREE shipping!!! Thumbs Up

Ordered it on the night of the 4th, it arrived by USPS from El Monte California just 3 days later on the 7th.

Couldn't believe how fast it was.

Just popped it in a few minutes ago and this is the first time I'm using it.

Works great!!!

The laptop in this short, 3 minute video is identical to mine, right down to the color of the lid...

Thumbs Up

Happy camper. 

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 6:25pm
^You would look good in one of those Geek Squad VW Bugs! Tongue

My work today didn't take any thought or dexterity, I woke up to 3 inches of snow I was not expecting. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 8:39pm
Stepped out of my car at work yesterday morning, and found a ten dollar bill stuck to the wet pavement.  Then about 15 feet ahead, I found another dollar.  Told a supe I work with, and he told me he found two dollars when he got to work.  $13 total on Friday the 13th.  Hmmmmm.

Went out at lunch to see if there was more, but the ground had dried and any further $ probably blew away.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 8:52pm
Money for nothing and your lunch for free!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:12pm
I already spent it at Mirton's Steakhouse.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:12pm
Several years ago while I was mowing my yard one day, along the side of my house was a crumpled up plastic grocery bag sort of halfway underneath my veriegated hibiscus. Being the lazy ass that I am, rather than stop, bend down and pick it up, I just mowed over it.

Amongst the shreds, I noticed some little pieces that looked strangely like pieces of money. So I reached down and picked up the largest remaining piece of the bag and there was about half of a $5 bill in it.

Shut off the mower and started picking up smaller pieces. Finally found them all. Taped it back together and next time I went to the bank, I traded it for a new one.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I already spent it at Mirton's Steakhouse.

Did you get frinch freys with it?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 10:45pm
I call them freedom freys.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 2:07am
DisapproveI don't want to go to the movies if this is showing....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:53am
Well, now the other dead oak tree is starting to lean (it's a 40+ footer.)  That's going to shave a lot of branches off the adjacent cedar trees.  Hopefully it won't fall until I get the first log out of the way... 
In other good news, I made a breakthrough in my perpetual motion wheel research.  Developed a partial mechanism (which will move the rest of a mechanism I haven't worked out yet) that worked better than I'd hoped (even with the sloppily put-together pieces I used for testing the movement.) Thumbs Up  It's only been 300 years since the last guy discovered it...  Big smile
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Well, now the other dead oak tree is starting to lean (it's a 40+ footer.)  That's going to shave a lot of branches off the adjacent cedar trees.  Hopefully it won't fall until I get the first log out of the way... 
ShockedWATCH THOSE LEANERS!
Over the past few years, I've had 6 trees taken down, all 40-60 footers, all 'leaners', all pines (which is even more dangerous as they root much closer to the surface and thus will fall much easier). I used to ignore them until Hurricane Bertha blew through our North Carolina properties and tossed large pines on the houses and cars on either side of ours and the green to the 14th hole, which was directly behind our house. You're in Florida, so not much deep rooting there, either.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:04pm
Depends on the species of tree along with the amount of top heaviness. There are some deep root trees as well.

Trees that tend to grow more up than out are not in as much danger of falling over. But trees like Laurel Oaks and Live Oaks, which we have a lot of around here, have both shallow root systems along with a lot of wide top heaviness.

But even with their relatively shallow root systems, they can and do often stay put and live for well over a hundred years. The main thing that makes them fall over around here, is a lot of rain. Excessive rain saturates the ground, making it too soft to hold the roots against the heavy, wind-swayed top portion, until finally the rocking and swaying causes the roots to just pull out on one side.

Then it's over she goes.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:13pm
Oak, what a wonderful wood. We have oak cabinets, all of the trim woodwork is oak.
Our bedroom furniture is oak.  I am burning oak in the wood stove. It's very dense, it burns hot and slow. It smells heavenly when cutting or splitting it. They age liquid courage in oak barrels.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:37pm
According to Roy Underhill of PBS' The Woodwright's Shop, when it comes to making tools, it's "Hooray for Hickory!"

The link above is to his tribute to hickory episode. Great show!!!

Don't know if you're familiar with the show, (the longest running show on PBS btw), but it's great fun to watch.

No power tools or electricity. All turn of the century hand and foot powered tools. Never saw a foot pedal table saw prior to watching this show. Foot pedal band saws etc, too. And Underhill himself is hoot, too.

Love it!!! My favorite wood working show.

If you've never seen it, give it a look-see...

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:50pm
Yes, I don't see a lot of hickory trees up here in Wisconsin.

They were plentiful in Indiana. Easy to split and still a hardwood that is good for burning.

When I worked at Pebble Brook, we were allowed to harvest some firewood from the property.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Yes, I don't see a lot of hickory trees up here in Wisconsin.

They were plentiful in Indiana. Easy to split and still a hardwood that is good for burning.

When I worked at Pebble Brook, we were allowed to harvest some firewood from the property.

Check out that link i posted.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:22pm
I love knotty pine.  I know it's not considered the best wood, but I like it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:11pm
I think maybe what you're thinking of is "naughty pine"....

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:18am
Quote Depends on the species of tree along with the amount of top heaviness.

This one dropped the top a few years ago (right where I warned people not to park their cars.)  I think the rest of it is going to slowly lean over against a cedar tree & slide along the branches and smash down onto the street (hopefully not onto a passing car or jogger.)  With any luck, it will be rotten enough to shatter into pieces.  I'm expecting it to go this weekend when the next front comes through...

Quote I am burning oak in the wood stove. It's very dense, it burns hot and slow. It smells heavenly when cutting or splitting it.

Not when it's rotted.  Stinks like sour fermented oak, as does everything that touches it...  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 197>
  Share Topic