Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 121>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 10:49pm
I understand why they did that, but couldn't they not resort to vandalism to get their point across? Maybe a placard?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 6:21pm
I had a strange overnight, early morning.
It was about 10:30 last night, my neck is still bothering me so I was a little restless.
I noticed the TV was off, I thought I must have rolled over on the remote and found some nowhere land in cableville.
I got up and tried to fix it, I give up in the bedroom and find the TV in the living is the same way.
Now I'm pissed, Sharter Rectum (Charter Spectrum) pains me to no end and now this?
I get on the phone and go through the typical, "describe the problem" to a f**king machine talking to me.
Like usual, as soon as I get on the phone, the problem magically disappears.

I get back to bed for a few hours, Oh!
When I was up the first time, I thought the dog had gotten loose.
I looked for her in all her normal places.
On the floor next to mama's side of the bed, 3 places in our room she lays down on the floor.
On one of the couches in the living room, behind one of the couches in the living room.
Under dining room table, in the bathtub. By this point I was starting to panic, I check outside, she is not in her run.
I'm getting ready to wake up mama and ask where the dog is, one last look in one of the spare bedrooms, there she is laying under my wifes desk. 

I get back up a few hours later, go to my e-mail, and the yahoo page freezes up.
This has happened before so I use all measures trying to close the page.
I could not even get it to do a restart so I forced a shutdown, then I get of this 'normal start?' 'checking disk C' chit.

I finally just let it do its thing and the problem cleared up.

Sharter Rectum gives us a royal screwing every month.
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 7:33pm
My wife called from work, just before she starts another one week vacation, she was not happy and saying she has to work another shift. 
There was nothing I could say right, she hung up on me.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 3:41am
Ordered my new TV antenna the other night. Thursday, I think. Buying it from a company called Solid Signal out of Novi, Mi.

I've been "buying" this thing for months, but always put it off for one reason or another. I finally went ahead & did it because they had it marked down from $39.99 to $24.99 if I signed up for their email list & bought it that day.

So, I got the antenna, a 4 ft. copper clad steel grounding rod with wire clamp & a grounding clamp for the mast. It all came to about $32 + about $9 shipping.

Supposed to arrive via FedEx around Tuesday.

Been tracking it on the FedEx tracking site. Last I saw it was somewhere in Ohio.

One of the most fun things about buying things online is tracking it on the shipping website.

Love that.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 4:37am
Went to Flea World in Sanford today, hoping to hit the used CD shops before it shuts down in August, but alas, they were gone*.  Cry  Sad & disappointed about that, was going to go on a buying spree.  Oh well.  Walked around a bit, collecting memories & left for the last time.  The place had a good run...

*  The owner previously told me he was going to reopen in Daytona when FW closed, but I'm not driving that far
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 5:19am
Yeah, it's a shame that place is closing down. Used to go there once in awhile on Saturday mornings with a buddy of mine. Fun place to get high & just wander around. I remember they had a nice little guitar store inside the air conditioned part.

Loved their big hot dogs & french fries at the concession stand, too.

Haven't been there in probably 20 years.

Another piece of local history bulldozed in the name of progress & development.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 11:51am
Aw man that's a shame! The only parallel that I compare that is similar to this loss is the loss of our Nu*Stars back in 1997. It was a wickedly cool store that hasn't been renovated since 1960s/1970s. It had a neon sign on the roof. Got redeveloped for a boring BJ's. Disgusting!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 12:17pm
To give you an idea of how big the place is including parking, here's a satellite view from Google maps...

Fun way to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 12:32pm
Whoa! That's pretty big!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 12:38pm
For a flea market it is.

I think maybe there used to be a drive in theater there decades ago.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 8:48pm
A recent post to Sharter Rectum from me.

You claim to be so great, This constant reminder that you are so superior is false. Yet your customers are force fed way too many bullcrap commercials, about you being so great. Let's not forget about YOUR big price increase after the first year, and your service is less that reliable. Your stupid friggin commercials are enough to make me want to leave. But that will make Sharter Rectum happy, they don't like to be called out for their substandard service. I'm being ripped offf, And I'm not happy about it, Go screw yourself Sharter. The worst television experience in my life of 50 plus years.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 10:32pm
If I may make a suggestion here a-ron, maybe it's time to find out where the over the air broadcast towers are in your area then look into getting an antenna & saying goodbye to cable & cable bills for good.

I did that in 2003 & haven't paid a nickel to watch TV for the past dozen years. I estimate that I have literally saved somewhere just south of 10 grand since then.

And of course, there's always Hulu & Netflix for about 10 bucks a month each.

Or.... maybe you might look into a satellite dish?

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 2:15am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

A recent post to Sharter Rectum from me.

<DIV id=id_55a171b45dad77187995115 ="text_exposed_root text_exposed"> 

<DIV ="text_exposed_root text_exposed">You claim to be so great, This constant reminder that you are so su<SPAN =text_exposed_show>perior is false. Yet your customers are force fed way too many bullcrap commercials, about you being so great. Let's not forget about YOUR big price increase after the first year, and your service is less that reliable. Your stupid friggin commercials are enough to make me want to leave. But that will make Sharter Rectum happy, they don't like to be called out for their substandard service. I'm being ripped offf, And I'm not happy about it, Go screw yourself Sharter. The worst television experience in my life of 50 plus years.</SPAN>

I feel your pain. My first experience with cable was VIACOM 1982 to 2000 18 trouble free years. When I moved to my current location Charter was the only cable provider. I found them to be anything but a provider. They are with the possible exception of my city water department the absolute worst utility I have ever encountered. I don't understand how such a crooked, lying, manipulating, and completely uncaring business continues to operate. During my year of suffering their abuse they increased the price every 2 to 3 months. This seemed to coincide with degradation of the signal. Every time I complained about the progressive loss of signal quality I was informed that they now had digital cable available. It didn't take long for me to figure out they were purposely degrading standard cable while raising the price to more or less force customers to pay double for digital which was only 12 digital of the 50 standard channels. I called DISH network. 2 days later I had 150 digital video channels plus 50 audio channels for substantially less money than Cheater's 38 standard and 12 digital channels. All of the DISH channels had amazing signal quality. 10 years later Dish has raised their rates less than $10 while adding 50 video plus 70 SIRIUS channels. A few years ago fiber optic became available. Anyone I know who had not ditched Charter for satellite went with MINET fiber optic. The only way I know Charter is still operating (I don't know how) is the 1 or 2 "please come back to us" cards per week in my mailbox. Since I have not seen anything on the news concerning an Ice Age in hell I take the cards directly to my recycle bin with the satisfaction that they are wasting postage.     
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 2:53am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

The only way I know Charter is still operating (I don't know how) is the 1 or 2 "please come back to us" cards per week in my mailbox. Since I have not seen anything on the news concerning an Ice Age in hell I take the cards directly to my recycle bin with the satisfaction that they are wasting postage.

You could always save up a stack of them, then find out their mailing address, send the whole stack back "ATTN: Marketing Director" with the words "Shove your third rate crap service up your ass!!!" in big red lettering written across each one of them.

Wouldn't prove anything, but it would make you feel better.    

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

If I may make a suggestion here a-ron, maybe it's time to find out where the over the air broadcast towers are in your area then look into getting an antenna & saying goodbye to cable & cable bills for good.

I did that in 2003 & haven't paid a nickel to watch TV for the past dozen years. I estimate that I have literally saved somewhere just south of 10 grand since then.

And of course, there's always Hulu & Netflix for about 10 bucks a month each.

Or.... maybe you might look into a satellite dish?

There are times when I think about it. It seems like a waste of money, sometimes.

On the other hand, with shows like Mr. Robot on USA, Bate's Motel on A&E.
Numerous original programs on AMC. I'm still a fan of all kinds of motorsports.
It would be difficult to just stop watching some of these programs.

Almost anything is available online for free, but I can't be tied down to this desk.
I have a TV in every room so I can float around the house and still get some stuff done while watching a good show at the same time.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 5:08pm
^Agreed. We did the antenna thing here for 2 years, and our last apartment for 3 years. But 3 channels, even with subchannels doesn't work. And yes, we did have an outside antenna. Our apartment complex management made me take it down. They said it was unsightly, funny seeing how we face trees. No street, no other buildings, just trees. Our migrant neighbors hang clothes and crap all over their porches on the front/street side of the building, but my antenna was unsightly. Anyways, our only providers around here for Internet are Fairpoint or Comcrap. Fairpoint is totally speedy at 5 Mbps, while Comcrap is faster at 105 Mbps at $35 a month. I added mid range cable and HBO for a total of $72 a month. Then they suck you dry with the HD box for an extra $10 a month. $84 a month. But, hell, I'm happy. I guess. Here's an old pic of my antenna.

Just imagine the antenna facing right. Having problems with this browser. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:16pm
^ Nice antenna. I think that style is called a "yagi" or something like that. Highly directional. Great if all your broadcast towers are somewhat clustered together in the same general area.

That's pretty much the way it is around here. All the stations most people watch, not including the religious stations, broadcast from towers located about 25 or 30 miles outside the city to the east. You can point your antenna in that direction & get them all.

In terms of free stations available, we are quite fortunate around here. I pick up about 45 stations total with my old homemade antenna I built using plans I saw in a Popular Science magazine. A 32" long piece of 1"x6" wood, some aluminum rod, a piece of rabbit wire fencing, some pipe hanger clamps, a transformer to connect the coaxial cable to it & an old Radio Shack signal booster I bought years ago at a yard sale for $1.

I have it mounted outside to a 20' pole.

After deleting the Spanish & religious stations, I still have about 30 or so watchable channels.

More than enough TV for me.

I might have posted this list before, but these are the free channels I get, not including the Spanish & religious stations...

Ch 2-1 NBC
Ch 2-2 MeTV (classic television)
Ch 6-1 CBS
Ch 6-2 CoziTV (old movies & TV shows)
Ch 9-1 ABC
Ch 9-3 LAFF (80's - 90's movies & shows)
Ch 15-1 WDSC (Daytona PBS)
Ch 15-2 WDSC-ED (Educational)
Ch 15-3 WDSC-WV (World View - Foreign news broacasts)
Ch 18-1 WKCF (CW Network)
Ch 18-2 this (movies)
Ch 24-1 WUCF (Orlando PBS)
Ch 24-2 WUCF Create (crafts, painting, gardening, home improvement & cooking shows)
Ch 24-3 WUCF World (world events, analysis, documentaries etc)
Ch 27-1 WRDQ (local independent general entertainment)
Ch 27-2 Antenna TV (classic television)
Ch 27-4 GritTV (action movies)
Ch 35-1 FOX
Ch 43-2 GetTV (old movies)
Ch 43-4 Escape (women's movies & crime shows like American Justice, Unsolved Mysteries, FBI Files)
Ch 56-1 ion (general entertainment reruns of modern era shows)
Ch 56-3 ionLife (lifestyle, cooking, home decor)
Ch 56-4 Shop
Ch 56-5 QVC
Ch 56-6 HSN
Ch 65-1 WRBW-my65 (independent general entertainment)
Ch 65-2 WRBW-DT (old movies)
Ch 65-3 BounceTV (mostly black themed movies)
Ch 68-1 WEFS (Brevard PBS)
Ch 68-3 WEFS-NS NASA (science ed, live feeds from satellites, space station etc)

I'm quite happy with it.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 7:39pm
Yesterday we got THE ENTERPRISE C HALLMARK ORNAMENT!!!! 2 OF THEM IN FACT!!!! We also got an orange 1970 Cougar Eliminator! We also a got Wrath of Khan ORNAMENT. Also went down to Waterbury I got a couple of Hot Wheels cars, a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Us Border Patrol car, and a Target NASCAR race car! I also got a Star Wars Millennium Falcon toy. As you can see I'm fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 8:02pm
I have a bunch of Star Trek/Star Wars Hallmarks... obviously I'm a fan too... but we quit putting up a tree a few years ago (gray cat bit a wire and almost killed himself LOL) so I stopped buying the ornaments.

You go to a flea market or something?
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

I have a bunch of Star Trek/Star Wars Hallmarks... obviously I'm a fan too... but we quit putting up a tree a few years ago (gray cat bit a wire and almost killed himself LOL) so I stopped buying the ornaments.

You go to a flea market or something?

Nope. Hallmark and Toys R Us!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

In terms of free stations available, we are quite fortunate around here. I pick up about 45 stations total with my old homemade antenna I built using plans I saw in a Popular Science magazine. A 32" long piece of 1"x6" wood, some aluminum rod, a piece of rabbit wire fencing, some pipe hanger clamps, a transformer to connect the coaxial cable to it & an old Radio Shack signal booster I bought years ago at a yard sale for $1.

I have it mounted outside to a 20' pole.

After deleting the Spanish & religious stations, I still have about 30 or so watchable channels.

More than enough TV for me.

I might have posted this list before, but these are the free channels I get, not including the Spanish & religious stations...

Ch 2-1 NBC
Ch 2-2 MeTV (classic television)
Ch 6-1 CBS
Ch 6-2 CoziTV (old movies & TV shows)
Ch 9-1 ABC
Ch 9-3 LAFF (80's - 90's movies & shows)
Ch 15-1 WDSC (Daytona PBS)
Ch 15-2 WDSC-ED (Educational)
Ch 15-3 WDSC-WV (World View - Foreign news broacasts)
Ch 18-1 WKCF (CW Network)
Ch 18-2 this (movies)
Ch 24-1 WUCF (Orlando PBS)
Ch 24-2 WUCF Create (crafts, painting, gardening, home improvement & cooking shows)
Ch 24-3 WUCF World (world events, analysis, documentaries etc)
Ch 27-1 WRDQ (local independent general entertainment)
Ch 27-2 Antenna TV (classic television)
Ch 27-4 GritTV (action movies)
Ch 35-1 FOX
Ch 43-2 GetTV (old movies)
Ch 43-4 Escape (women's movies & crime shows like American Justice, Unsolved Mysteries, FBI Files)
Ch 56-1 ion (general entertainment reruns of modern era shows)
Ch 56-3 ionLife (lifestyle, cooking, home decor)
Ch 56-4 Shop
Ch 56-5 QVC
Ch 56-6 HSN
Ch 65-1 WRBW-my65 (independent general entertainment)
Ch 65-2 WRBW-DT (old movies)
Ch 65-3 BounceTV (mostly black themed movies)
Ch 68-1 WEFS (Brevard PBS)
Ch 68-3 WEFS-NS NASA (science ed, live feeds from satellites, space station etc)

I'm quite happy with it.

14 - 16 channels here.Ermm Why the new antennae if your home made one picks up all those?
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 11:51pm
About Star Trek, I remember being such a fan of Geordi in the late eighties that I used to wear my sister's headband over my eyes. God, I was a weird teenager!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D. :D $608 for her brother's scooter. Fair is fair my ass. Being tough on Public Access TV is priceless.

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

About Star Trek, I remember being such a fan of Geordi in the late eighties that I used to wear my sister's headband over my eyes. God, I was a weird teenager!

I'm bettin you wore a lot of your sister's stuff.

LOL

Rawr.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 1:42am

Perhaps even his sister.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 2:00am
Is that Jason Vorhees!?

Wait a minute thats the Texas Chainsaw Massacre guy!

Man I feel so stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 121>
  Share Topic