Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Played at being a prepper today.   Bought a 20lb bag of rice for $8, neatly filled up 3 1-gallon milk jugs (about 49 cups of rice.)  Something's been telling me to stock up for months, finally acted on it.  Should keep for a few years until I eat it all...

Watched Shark Tank tonight. It was jarring, Confused until I realized that the audio was out of sync with the picture by about a second or two (like a 70's dubbed kung-fu movie.)  Even 20/20 was affected, so it might have been a network thing...

Or it could be the affiliate itself.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 6:12pm
Deposited my stimulus check, had my taxes done. When all is said and done, my hour's worth of effort today will have netted me approx 2 grand.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm
I won't be getting back any money and I shouldn't owe any money either.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:03pm
Got the first of my two Pfizer COVID vaccine shots on Friday.

I go back fir the second one on the 23rd of this month. 

Thumbs Up
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:37pm
I go for my second shot (Moderna) on the 16th. I mean, I get it at work so I don't really have to "go" anywhere.

The pharmacy at work sometimes gets cancellations. So, rather than wasting the shot, they snag whichever employees want to get a shot.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:10pm
I had to drive about 8 miles to get mine, but I didn't have to make any calls or schedule an appointment.

The clinic where I get treated for BP and T2D called me and asked me if I wanted the shot.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Deposited my stimulus check, had my taxes done. When all is said and done, my hour's worth of effort today will have netted me approx 2 grand.

I got my stimulus check direct deposited this time, unlike he last two which I got in paper form through the mail.

I guess that was because last year I filed an income tax return for the first time in about 8 years.

So far, of the $3,200 in free money I've gotten from the government, I haven't spent one dime of it.

I can't think of anything to buy.

I was thinking about getting one of those electric scooters you see everyone on nowadays, but I need to actually walk for the exercise. 

Thought about getting an e-bike, too.

Same thing. I need to get exercise, not sit or stand still while an electric motor does all the work.

Maybe I should get a nice, expensive new guitar and start playing again. 

I'm reticent to start collecting more stuff though.

I have too much stuff I need to get rid of.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:35pm

Same here. I can't think of anything I need or want. I'm not quite at the point of getting rid of things, but I'm certainly at the point in life where I don't wanna be accumulating anything.

I buy consumables, and that's about it. Food, cat food, work clothes, laundry detergent, etc.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:37pm
I can't even spend it on "expensive" (by my standards) meals at restaurants because I need to avoid those kinds of foods.

I've finally gotten my A1c blood glucose level down below the point where I'm considered to have diabetes and my cholesterol is way down too.

The last thing I need to do is undo all that.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I got my stimulus check direct deposited this time, unlike he last two which I got in paper form through the mail.

I guess that was because last year I filed an income tax return for the first time in about 8 years.

So far, of the $3,200 in free money I've gotten from the government, I haven't spent one dime of it.

I can't think of anything to buy.

I was thinking about getting one of those electric scooters you see everyone on nowadays, but I need to actually walk for the exercise. 

Thought about getting an e-bike, too.

Same thing. I need to get exercise, not sit or stand still while an electric motor does all the work.

Maybe I should get a nice, expensive new guitar and start playing again. 

I'm reticent to start collecting more stuff though.

I have too much stuff I need to get rid of.

All of our income, in recent years was Linda working or later on her retirement annuity.

I had no income other than the money I got for the house.  I wanted to play it safe and send them the paperwork, just in case.  I have enough people sending me bills, I don't need the IRS on my ass.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I can't even spend it on "expensive" (by my standards) meals at restaurants because I need to avoid those kinds of foods.

I've finally gotten my A1c blood glucose level down below the point where I'm considered to have diabetes and my cholesterol is way down too.

The last thing I need to do is undo all that.

My bro's got those issues. I'd rather have the cholesterol problem (which I do) than the diabetes problem. I like carbs way too much, more so than meat and other sources of fat. Of course, then I'm always dealing with weight issues.

Yeah. I know. Moderation.

F*ck moderation.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 1:31pm
I had a high carb meal last night for Sunday dinner.

One box of this....

With some broken up pieces of this.....

And some of these with it on the side to add some crunchy texture....

I figure one high carb meal a week won't hurt too bad.

Tongue

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:10pm
I wore a light jacket on my run just now, it's too damned warm for a jacket! The truck was showing 70 degrees. 

It's been so warm here the past few days, over 80 in the house.  I went to the store last June looking for a window AC that would fit in my openings.  I wrote down and took the numbers I needed to know. I bought the only one that would work in my case.  A portable AC, Jimbo knows what I have, that would duct to the outside through a hose and accept a much smaller opening through the window.

I didn't do any research last year, I just needed to get it done.  Today, I'm thinking there must be something out there that will work for me.  I think I found one but I'm a little confused.

The opening is 30 3/4 inches wide and 12 7/8 inches high. Here are the specs...If I go by the actual dimensions, it will work.  If I go by their minimums, it's too big.  Confused

I really hope it fits!  I can move the portable unit out here to the living space.  I'll just have to cut a piece of plywood the fill the void.
I have horizontal sliding windows out here in the living room.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
Wouldn't one of those little 5,000 BTU window units fit?

They are pretty small.

I have a small 7,500 BTU window unit I used to use.

Gonna try to sell it on craigslist for $75.

I picked it up off the curb about 20 years ago.

Had to do a minor repair to stop a noise that was happening because the squirrel cage fan was rubbing against a piece of molded styrofoam insulation.

I chucked the old molded piece and replaced it with a thicker piece I cut to fit and it worked just fine.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:36pm
I placed the order, I hope they have a good return policy.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 3:45pm
I unpacked the new AC.  It will fit! The part that goes through the window opening is only 11 1/2 inches tall. So I have a little wiggle room.  I have to attach the rail and two side slider fillers.  I'm not too worried about the width, it measures 16 inches and I have over 30 to work with.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 3:54pm
When I installed my little window unit, I was concerned about security.

Rather than use those flimsy side panels, I cut a couple of pieces of wood I had lying around. Actually, they were a couple of old cabinet doors that were just slightly too big, so I put them on the table saw and trimmed them down on one edge.

Then I attached a couple of stainless steel 90° angle brackets to the side of the A/C using the holes that were already in it for attaching the side panels, then fastened the wood to the brackets and to the window frame. 

Used foam weather stripping around the edges of the wood to seal any small gaps,

Closed the window down tight and put a couple of thumb-screw window security clips, one on each side to keep he window from being opened.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 3:59pm
I'm kinda worn out today. I went to the grocery store, I can't believe they didn't have any Centrum Silver 50+ for men.  The had plenty of vitamins for women!  I already have enough of a man boob thing going!  I'm sweating in here from working on the AC.  Several trips to the trash cans.

The doctor's office called me, they will only call in a refill on 2 of the 4 drugs I am out of unless I make an office visit.  They really are very nice there. I'll take a 325 mg aspirin to cover for the f*cking $500 a month Eliquis. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:14pm
I got a call from Melanie at Kerber Rose.  They used to be a local CPA service and they were apparently bought out by a national firm.  She wondered why I even wanted to file since I had no income.  I just wanted to disclose (expose) everything!

Wisconsin is a 'community property state'. She said I could benefit by claiming half of her income.  The divorce was amicable. I helped her, she helped me.  The title company should have given me a 1099.
In my case, as long as the proceeds were less than $250,000, I owe no taxes on the money.

Yes, Wisconsin is one of just a few community property states. Most states divide property in a divorce under the theory of “equitable distribution,” where the courts distribute property based on what a judge thinks is fair under the circumstances of each case. Community property states, on the other hand, work on the presumption that all marital property should be divided equally.

I don't owe any money from the sale of the house.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I got a call from Melanie at Kerber Rose.  They used to be a local CPA service and they were apparently bought out by a national firm.  She wondered why I even wanted to file since I had no income.  I just wanted to disclose (expose) everything!

I don't owe any money from the sale of the house.

Plus, you should file a return in case someone steals your ID and files a return using your name and SSN, with false information in order to get a refund.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:14am
Was cooking burgers under the gazebo and noticed a baby bird on the ground under a tree. Figured it was learning to fly, and one of the parents was trying to encourage it.  Sure enough, it tried to fly, and went right into the pool. I scooped it out & put it further away. Looked like a mockingbird (too small to be a blue jay.) The parent eventually came back, and chased it under some bushes.  I hope it made it...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 4:51pm
My timing was finally good to stop at the pharmacy drive-thru. I don't like to wait on anything, if there was more than one car in line, I just put it off till the next day.

I still haven't been to the grocery store so I had to stop and buy some water.

I've seen people mowing grass, I have some weeds in the yard but I'm not even close to mowing it.  These healthy lawns that people actually take care of are a beautiful dark green.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:55pm

Was cooking burgers under the gazebo and noticed a baby bird on the ground under a tree. Figured it was learning to fly, and one of the parents was trying to encourage it.  Sure enough, it tried to fly, and went right into the pool. I scooped it out & put it further away. Looked like a mockingbird (too small to be a blue jay.) The parent eventually came back, and chased it under some bushes.  I hope it made it...

The parent birds seem to know what to do. But when I noticed fledglings trying (clumsily) to fly around my yard in CA, I'd scoop 'em up and bring them to the bird sanctuary about 10 miles away. I didn't want to chance the cats getting them.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:58pm
I have some Sand Hill Cranes that hang around here.  Noisy birds!  They taste just like chicken!  Evil Smile
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:00am

The parent birds seem to know what to do. But when I noticed fledglings trying (clumsily) to fly around my yard in CA, I'd scoop 'em up and bring them to the bird sanctuary about 10 miles away. I didn't want to chance the cats getting them.

Saw the little fuzzball flying around the backyard today. Thumbs Up  It was two feet from me, in a lime tree, & the parent flew in and fed it, then they both flew off. I'm keeping an eye on the pool for a few days, but I don't think it will go near the pool again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 197>
  Share Topic