Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Bacardi Mojito clubbin' commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobwilson1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bacardi Mojito clubbin' commercial
    Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 11:49pm
I especially dislike the Bacardi Rum commercial showing all these greasy, sticky looking people dancing at a club, women shaking their bottoms all over the place, with the "queen" of the party shaking her stuff on what appears to be a rock in the center of the club. Then the bartender stops mashing mint leaves in the glass and ahhhh- too bad- everyone stops dancing and looks all disappointed. Too much focus on women shakin' their asses. Women don't do that in real life.
Sponsored Links

applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 1:24am
Yeah, I think I remember reading another thread on this here commenting on the phallic/sexual nature of the bartender grinding the mint in a glass.

Mojitos are the new Cosmos.  I drank mojitos before they were trendy!
What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 1:49am
It's probably just my old-fogeyness, but I hate seeing hard liquor ads on TV, particularly on the Discovery channel. 
Love endures all.
applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 2:42am
Originally posted by LOL1955 LOL1955 wrote:

It's probably just my old-fogeyness, but I hate seeing hard liquor ads on TV, particularly on the Discovery channel. 

You prefer the old Bartyls and James ads? LOL
What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 2:47am
Oh, Lord, those were something, weren't they?!
Love endures all.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 3:00am
I don't care for the 'Mojito Message' for youth...once upon a time, they had cigarette commercials - no more. 
Cigs became socially unacceptable...what's going on here? 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
sickntired View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickntired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 3:13am
I just saw this one for the first time tonight and felt like I should turn it off in front of my kids!
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 3:18am
Well said, both Pa and SNT.

For years, there existed what amounted to a "gentleman's agreement" that hard liquor would not be advertised on television (beer and wine yes, booze no).  I understand that liquor producers are fighting for market share, but I cringe every time I see them on the tube.  My particular beef is that I feel The Discovery Channel is one that attracts a large audience of those who, in many states, are not yet old enough to drink.  Why the liquor companies would aim there just bothers me in general.

Love endures all.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 5:02pm
Yet another bar ENTIRELY stocked with only one type of liquor.
Remember the "DiSaronno on the rocks" commercial?
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 6:10pm
...not unlike the cheerios store.
Booze commercials are so cookie cutter.

I guess portraying them in reality's light would be too scary.
-Mom in the kitchen tipping a vodka bottle.
-Some wino puking in a gutter.
-college binge parties.
was feeling nostalgic
bobwilson1977 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobwilson1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 6:17pm
DiSaronno is sort of like children's cough medicine. Anyhow, I think the Bacardi ad is clearly aimed at teenagers and young drinkers. Mojitos taste pretty much like lemonaide, and other sweet drinks which kids tend to start with. Personally, I think they taste like crap, but besides the point, there's a good reason why they show a club scene and young people drinking.

Besides the alcahol, I can't stand the ad. It's stupid as hell.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I don't care for the 'Mojito Message' for youth...once upon a time, they had cigarette commercials - no more. 

At both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium people were having conniptions because there was a (GASP!) Marlboro billboard out in left field. It had to be removed.

Funny, the Budwesier and Absolut ads are still plastered all over the place.

I don't recall many stories of someone plowing into a another carload of people because of cigarette smoking (unless the head fell off and into the driver's crotch). But how often does THAT happen? Unhappy
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

At both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium people were having conniptions because there was a (GASP!) Marlboro billboard out in left field. It had to be removed.

Funny, the Budwesier and Absolut ads are still plastered all over the place.

I don't recall many stories of someone plowing into a another carload of people because of cigarette smoking (unless the head fell off and into the driver's crotch). But how often does THAT happen? Unhappy

This may simply not sound right, but, well...having raised 3 girls and 2 boys - and especially having been VERY wreckless in my youth, I see our 17-20 year-old children - yours, mine, theirs...looking at this commercial and thinking, "I can't WAIT to turn 21 and be able to do THAT without permission!!!".
Then getting to 21 and doing JUST THAT.
And then being sorry.
Maybe you just became Grandma and/or Grandpa.
Don't know about you, but I REALLY don't need no stinkin' 'food stamp grand-babies', or grand-babies that'll be hunting for a last name on 'The Maury Show'...
I don't care HOW good a parent you are...advertising and peer pressure go hand-in-hand.
"Let 'em be stupid and they will be..." is a crock of shi*! (note: as I was writing that last quote, on comes the commercial!)
We attempt to balance that crap with the scruples, ethics, morals, and values with which we instilled in our young - and hope it is all strong enough to make our young THINK before experimenting with the 'goodies'  which these companies tempt them.
Hey - they got ME! NOW THEY WANT MY KIDS???!!!
I think NOT.
Alone, I was plenty stupid enough for a few generations, Thank You!
Gimmee my .38-55 and let's talk... 

(If you saw mine, stock on the left, hardware on the right...1876 Winchester!)
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 8:34am

Don't know about you, but I REALLY don't need no stinkin' 'food stamp babies', or babies that'll be hunting for a last name on 'The Maury Show'...

Food stamp babies? WTF?
promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 12:35pm
Hey guys! Guess what? There really are clubs with lots of hot young people dancing and having a good time! And none of them are exploited, and all of them are of age! I know, it's crazy that not EVERY commercial on TV was aimed at you old people, but it's true!

As you can tell, I've been loving clubs and mojitos for a long time. But interestingly enough, I'd never consider a mojito a club drink. Clubs have 20 customers every 5 minutes and a mojito takes too long to make. I make them at home. So fresh and wonderful. What other mixed drink requires you to grab several items from the produce section to make?
I love commercials, for the most part.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by JimA JimA wrote:

Don't know about you, but I REALLY don't need no stinkin' 'food stamp babies', or babies that'll be hunting for a last name on 'The Maury Show'...

Food stamp babies? WTF?
EXACTLY what I said - I do not stutter.
Don't need my taxes paying to put food in the mouth of youthful indiscretion (thanks for giving the kids ideas, Bacardi!) - and 'drink responsibly'? yeaaaahh....right.
I believe they refer to that as an 'oxymoron'.
...and I (gasp!) drink.
My views are garnished through history and experience; this is a clear-cut case of "let's get real!".

drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 1:14am
Originally posted by bobwilson197. Too much focus on women shakin' their asses. Women don't do that in real life.<br>
[/QUOTE bobwilson197. Too much focus on women shakin' their asses. Women don't do that in real life.
[/QUOTE wrote:

But .....they do in a dance club....

But .....they do in a dance club....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic