Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some Electrical Knowledge For Fun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Electrical Knowledge For Fun
    Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 8:23pm
I was reading an article in regard to the misunderstandings people have about the phone chargers and the question, if I put a phone on a higher amperage charger than the one my phone comes with, will I blow it up?

The short answer is no.

In fact quite the opposite is true.  If you put a phone on a charger that delivers less amperage than your phone requires, then you may blow it up. (I read that newer stuff has electronics that guard against this.)

Here's why.  Think about your standard home wall outlet.  It is usually 120 volts at 15 or 20 amps.
When you plug a 60 watt lamp into that outlet it doesn't blow up.

There is a formula to determine watts.  Watts is always the voltage (in this case 120) times amperage.  So a 60 watt bulb only uses .5 amps.  Where 120 X .5 = 60 watts.

So of the potential 15 amps available the 60 watt bulb only uses one 30th of it.
Yet, it does not "blow up".

You see amperage is only a the amount of power available whereas voltage is the actual pushing force of the power available.  

So, in fact, the opposite is true of what one might think.  If you plug your phone into a charger with a lower amperage than your phone requires then you could blow it up.

Why?  Well, going back to the 60 watt bulb analogy I'll explain.

Any time you plug a 60 watt bulb in, it wants, well, 60 watts.  Keeping in mind that watts is always voltage times amperage.

So, let's say we plug a 60 watt bulb into a 120 volt .25 amp socket.
The 60 watt bulb still wants 60 watts, but a 125 volt .25 amp circuit only provides a total of 30 watts.  Therefore a 60 watt bulb is going to draw power from the circuit at twice the rate of the power that is provided.  This is going to cause the wiring to over heat, resulting in it burning out.

To put it mathematically, at .25 amps a 60 watt bulb will draw electricity at 240 volts far exceeding the circuit's design.  60 = .25 X 240.

So, If you need to charge your phone, you will always be safer to use a charger that is of equal to or greater amperage than your phone requires.
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 8:37pm
Indeed, In fact, depending on the device or use, there's plenty of instances of your phone actually draining WHILE connected to the charger. My tablet actually won't even respond to a normal charger because its requirement is so high.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 9:17pm
ConfusedI don'beez knowin' much about 'dat 'letricity stuff, 'cep'n ya can go to jail if you turn on 'da space heater and toss it in the tub with 'da 'ol'lady.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 9:42pm
Let's talk impedance,

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Let's talk impedance,

LOL

Especially when you've got 240 volts on a 120 volt circuit.  Wink

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 11:04pm
They must have ad software that can read the contents of a topic.  There is an ad with this topic that is for a digital volt meter.  How'd it know?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 12:39am
I knew about the formula. I used to figure out how many kwh my appliances were using.

But I thought cell phone chargers used transformers that delivered a specified voltage output & didn't vary in amperage.

But then again, I don't know much about that e - lec - tric - al banana stuff either.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

using.

But I thought cell phone chargers used transformers that delivered a specified voltage output & didn't vary in amperage.

It's written on the back in tiny, tiny print.  USB is always +5 volts and the amps is usually somewhere between 300 and 1150 milliamps (mA).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 1:08am
You wouldn't think that 1 volt or a few milliamps would make a difference one way or the other, but I ruined an old (but still useful) low-resolution, early model digital camera by plugging it into a transformer that was just a tiny bit too high for it.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:21pm
I just bought a huge (in power, not in size) back up battery charger.
It holds 12,000 milliamps.  The advantage over a wall charger is that its charging speed is like comparing a straw to a fire hose.  With the precharged battery charger, I can charge my company BlackBerry halfway in about 10 minutes, where a wall charger would take about two hours.
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 4:08am
I've switched to rechargeable AA batteries for my computer mice and radios.  Was going through too many of the disposables (even on sale, they're expensive.)  If these last a year, they'll pay for themselves....

Tomorrow's task is to replace a circuit breaker and hope it was what shorted out after today's FL lightning storm, otherwise it's "call an electrician" time.  I hate when stuff breaks....
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:29am
^Wise move - I use rechargeable batteries for just the reasion you mention.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 3:13pm

Battery chargers??  How many batteries do you guys go through?  I just bought a pack of 8 AA batteries at the Dollar Tree---probably the first time in 4 years that I've needed to buy batteries of any kind.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 3:25pm
Sure - AA & AAA batteries all over the place around here, from the kitchen to the crapper and everywhere in between. Usually not for things I buy, but rather the Missus. I just got tired of batteries everywhere I looked and having to dispose of them properly (there are recycle options for regular household batteries), especially if mercury-based (non-alkaline) ones.  
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Let's talk impedance, 

...or in this case:

Resistance is NOT Futile!
LOLBig smileLOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 3:39pm

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Sure - AA & AAA batteries all over the place around here, from the kitchen to the crapper and everywhere in between. Usually not for things I buy, but rather the Missus.

Kids go through a lotta batteries, too, I guess.  

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 3:47pm
The worst thing about batteries, is that they get thrown in the garbage can & end up in the landfill where they disintegrate & leach their poisonous chemicals into the ground.

Just think about how many hundreds of million or even billions of batteries get tossed into the dump across this country every year.

That is the main reason why I try to avoid using anything that requires batteries.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The worst thing about batteries, is that they get thrown in the garbage can & end up in the landfill where they disintegrate & leach their poisonous chemicals into the ground.

Just think about how many hundreds of million or even billions of batteries get tossed into the dump across this country every year.

That is the main reason why I try to avoid using anything that requires batteries.

WinkTHANK YOU
"...Because of its toxicity, all these uses are being phased out or are under review. Some mercury salts and organic mercury compounds are still important, including mercurous chloride (calomel), which is used in electrolysis, and mercuric sulfide (wermilion), a high-grade paint pigment. "
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 8:37pm
I've just been using rechargables for my AA and AAA needs. Work well enough.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 8:42pm
I love electrical systems.

One of my strong points is trouble shooting.

Oh leah says hi.

MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 4:13am

Whew!  All I had to do was replace a circuit breaker.  Smile  Going to check the outlets for loose connections, just to be sure.  I figure a lightning strike on the power lines sent a surge into the house and fried the breaker (it didn't trip like it was supposed to.)

Thor, I'll go through at least 20 AA's a year (more, if I use my digital camera.  It eats batteries like candy.)  I throw a penny into a cup each time I recharge the new ones (supposedly good for 1500 recharges each.  Yeah, going to test that claim.... Wink)  

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 12:14pm
I've been using NiMH batteries for every gadget I have that will take them. Unfortunately, the item that uses the most batteries is my Bose QC-2 active noise cancelling headphones. I use them as noise killers at work for upwards of eight hours per day. I get about 40 hours on an alkaline AAA. The problem is that the phones are very voltage sensitive. A rechargeable battery only rises to 1.25 VDC, and the low charge LED is already blinking, and it works lousily for an hour and quits.

There used to be rechargeable 1.50 vdc alkalines, but I can't find them anywhere.

As to phone chargers, those little USB chargers are mostly "smart" switching devices, without transformers. My iPad came with a big one, for the larger capacity battery. It helps my tiny iPod though. Charges it up much faster than its original charger..

The much larger "wall wart" chargers do include a transformer, and you do have to be careful to match current load, voltage out, and DC polarity to your gadget, or the results can indeed be disagreeably surprising.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic