Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Signs that your wireless network router is failing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signs that your wireless network router is failing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signs that your wireless network router is failing
    Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:00am
I have replaced a wireless network router for the 3rd time now.

I've replaced mine twice and my parent's once.

Here are signs that it's failing;

Your computer intermittantly drops off the network for seemingly no reason.

Your router does not appear in the list of available networks then suddenly it does.

Can not connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) even though you have internet connectivity.

I spent a significant amount of time going back and forth with my company (which provides the VPN) my ISP and my router manufacturer.  My company blamed it on the ISP, the ISP blamed it on the router, the router people blamed it on the VPN provider. 

The router people always tell you to upgrade the firmware which I have found is guarenteed to completely kill your router even if it had some functionality before.

I replaced the ailing router tonight once more.  I now have solid connectivity.  No problem.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:43am
What brand do you have?

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 4:24am
Belkin.  I had the Linksys WRT54G.  I had one and I bought one for my parents.  They both failed.  So I bought the cheapest one I could find, a Belkin, my first non-wireless router was a Belkin, never had a problem with it.

About a week ago it started to not allow me to connect to my work VPN.  So I upgraded the software.  After that I couldn't really hold a good wireless connection.  It randomly would drop off.

I just got a Belkin wireless N router for a couple of bucks more.  So far it's solid and the VPN connected almost instantly.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 4:48am
The reason I asked is because I was going to buy a used Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B router & notebook adapter for $30 off of Craigslist, but I decided not to.

I'm wondering if I dodged a $30 bullet.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 5:22am
You may have.  My first Belkin wireless G (better than B) brand new was and still is only $39.95.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 5:25am
Yeah. This was $30 for the router & the notebook adapter, but I'm still glad I didn't buy it.

Mostly because I probably wouldn't have used it as much as I thought I would at first.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:20am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Belkin.  I had the Linksys WRT54G.  I had one and I bought one for my parents.  They both failed.  So I bought the cheapest one I could find, a Belkin, my first non-wireless router was a Belkin, never had a problem with it.

About a week ago it started to not allow me to connect to my work VPN.  So I upgraded the software.  After that I couldn't really hold a good wireless connection.  It randomly would drop off.

I just got a Belkin wireless N router for a couple of bucks more.  So far it's solid and the VPN connected almost instantly.

I use that Linksys router but my stuff is hardwired. I had a stint awhile back when it wouldn't connect and I had to keep resetting the router.
But, whatever it was has since "fixed itself" and it works great again.ClapAt 3 years old, I can't complain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic