Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SHARKNADO 2-- It's here!. (video trailer)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHARKNADO 2-- It's here!. (video trailer)
    Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:25pm

“No one wants to get eaten…”

Yes, it’s here. And with one of the most clever sequel titles we’ll see this year..("The Second One") well, maybe.. not.

But featuring a stellar cast of dozens.. and more D-list cameos than one can count,  I have to admit: if push comes to shove and I am given the choice between this and 50 Shades of Gray, then hands down, no contest:  give me Sharknado 2.

Sponsored Links

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:28pm
My question is, there have been like a million shark movies with absurd premises, why was this one deemed popular enough to receive national attention and a sequel?
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

My question is, there have been like a million shark movies with absurd premises, why was this one deemed popular enough to receive national attention and a sequel?

Good question.
Call it "schlock appeal".

It is a TV movie that will also run (as did the first one) for one night in theaters, and social media eats stuff like this up. Maybe people will add their own lines and throw stuff at the screen a la "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (but not to put this junk in the same category as "Rocky Horror"- that was seriously worthy of all-time cult status).

Cast marginal but likeable types such as Ian Ziering, Tara Reid and Vivica A. Fox, and it's got the same horror-funny brain candy appeal that maybe something like "Snakes on a Plane" did (although Samuel L. Jackson is much more a “real” actor even though I hate his Citibank commercials).

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:02pm
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

The first one was so laughably bad it actually made it entertaining, and by entertaining I mean it'd be a perfect flick for the guys on MST3K to watch.   I'm pretty sure they'd have come up with some pretty witty commentary LOL

SyFy is airing it before the sequel tonight, so if you have nothing else to watch then it's worth watching just to see and laugh at the ridiculousness (so long as you remember to go in with extremely lowered expectations and a complete suspense of disbelief of things like sharks swallowing people whole while flying 1000 feet in the air or being able to destroy a tornado simply by throwing a bomb into it  Shocked And that's not even getting into the "chainsaw" scene LOL). 

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 3:51pm
Dear lord was this a glorious piece of crap LOL

- The movie starts as sort of a tribute to Airplane! ...  Robert Hays (Striker) was the pilot, though they should've had Julie Haggerty as the copilot instead of the girl they chose.  They even made a chicken vs. fish reference (though Airplane was steak vs. fish I believe) and either he or the copilot mentioned how stupid it would be to not have chicken. 

- The main character looks over several times at the wing of the plane, eventually seeing a shark on it; a tip of the cap to a Twilight Zone classic with William Shatner.

Then the real fun begins:

- Sharks on a plane, biting off people's heads.

- Snow in July in NYC during a Mets game, which eventually gets overrun with sharks. One said shark gets hit by a retired ballplayer with a baseball bat and gets launched about 500 feet.

- Kelly Ripa & Michael Strahan, Al Roker, Stephanie Abrams doing news and weather broadcasts throughout the movie.

- Sharks in the subway system.

- Subway's Jared at a subway stop sitting under a Subway sign eating a Subway sandwich. Unfortunately it was the guy sitting next to him that got sacked by a shark.

- Biz Markee as a pizza shop owner.

- Andy Dick as a cop.

- Downtown Julie Brown as a nurse, and wow. Her plastic surgery is so bad, the CGI sharks looked more realistic than her face.

- Bombs wouldn't bring the shark filled tornadoes down this time, so they opt to freezing it instead from atop the Empire State Building.

- A huge riot in Times Square - people with 2x4's, chainsaws, tridents, swords, and guns vs. a plethora of falling sharks.

- A wedding proposal using a ring that was pulled off the hand that was pulled out of a shark.

There were plenty more things, but these are what stuck out the most, to me anyway.  

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:29pm
...surfing today, seems I passed a channel advertising their 'Shartnado Week'.
Probably was comedy central.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:43pm
If it's funny, I'll watch it.
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Dear lord was this a glorious piece of crap LOL

- The movie starts as sort of a tribute to Airplane! ...  Robert Hays (Striker) was the pilot, though they should've had Julie Haggerty as the copilot instead of the girl they chose.  They even made a chicken vs. fish reference (though Airplane was steak vs. fish I believe) and either he or the copilot mentioned how stupid it would be to not have chicken. 

- The main character looks over several times at the wing of the plane, eventually seeing a shark on it; a tip of the cap to a Twilight Zone classic with William Shatner.

Then the real fun begins:

- Sharks on a plane, biting off people's heads.

- Snow in July in NYC during a Mets game, which eventually gets overrun with sharks. One said shark gets hit by a retired ballplayer with a baseball bat and gets launched about 500 feet.

- Kelly Ripa & Michael Strahan, Al Roker, Stephanie Abrams doing news and weather broadcasts throughout the movie.

- Sharks in the subway system.

- Subway's Jared at a subway stop sitting under a Subway sign eating a Subway sandwich. Unfortunately it was the guy sitting next to him that got sacked by a shark.

- Biz Markee as a pizza shop owner.

- Andy Dick as a cop.

- Downtown Julie Brown as a nurse, and wow. Her plastic surgery is so bad, the CGI sharks looked more realistic than her face.

- Bombs wouldn't bring the shark filled tornadoes down this time, so they opt to freezing it instead from atop the Empire State Building.

- A huge riot in Times Square - people with 2x4's, chainsaws, tridents, swords, and guns vs. a plethora of falling sharks.

- A wedding proposal using a ring that was pulled off the hand that was pulled out of a shark.

There were plenty more things, but these are what stuck out the most, to me anyway.  

Pardon me, but this does sound really funny- I'm in need of laughs and just the cast of celeb cameos is enough to draw me in. Any Airplane connection sounds good (but so true- should have included Julie Hagerty). Maybe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will join SN3.

SyFy channel will be re-running parts 1 and 2 this Saturday. I just might make a binge afternoon of it.

Interesting note: in order for Ian Ziering to obtain healthcare through Screen Actor's Guild  (to include his wife and their kids), he needed to make more income and apparently that was the reason he reluctantly took the lead role in SN1. 
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:04pm
^^ Oh it is funny .. I was laughing through most of it LOL  Another character who was more than cameo that I meant to mention was Judd Hirsch who, fittingly enough, plays the Taxi driver.  I forgot about that little allusion to the 'classics.'

LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:12pm
^Yes!! I thought I saw Judd Hirsch in the trailer, and as a NYC cabbie, he's a natural.

Too bad Andy Kaufman couldn't have been here too. Smile
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:31pm
I really doubted a second would work. The first seemed to work on the Ed Wood principle: trying so hard to make something with one idea and audience in mind, but the flaws and goofs are so enormous it gathers another type of audience.

I mean, after that it usually becomes too silly to get that same audience back. Looks like they've struck lightning twice.

Still probably won't watch either unless nothing else is on...:P
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

I really doubted a second would work. The first seemed to work on the Ed Wood principle: trying so hard to make something with one idea and audience in mind, but the flaws and goofs are so enormous it gathers another type of audience.

I mean, after that it usually becomes too silly to get that same audience back. Looks like they've struck lightning twice.

Still probably won't watch either unless nothing else is on...:P

^ So true.

It's almost impossible to pull off back-to-back winners when they um.. jump the shark twice. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Too bad Ed Wood didn't have social media around, he may have been more of a success.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:40pm
LOL this does sound entertaining!

I especially get a kick out of the Jared from Subway cameo!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 2:23am
So the ratings are in: very solid.
156% of S1.
Look out for S3.. and even more celebs will want to play. 
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 3:58am
I thought the intro with Robert Hays flying the plane ala "Airplane" was pretty funny. And the star of the picture looking out the window yelling "It's on the wing!" the Shatner did on the Twilight Zone.

Overall I liked the way they played it for laughs by playing it straight.

I think this movie may well kick off a trend of overused cameo appearances in just about everything produced for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic