Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roadside memorials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laffy Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roadside memorials
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:14pm
Squaters rights for the mourning. And what happens if someone dies in the same exact spot that someone else did? Do they have to file for a time share?
I'm not trying to sound disrespectful, but i imagine that someone owns some of those properties and I'll bet their insurance companies wouldnt be too thrilled with the idea of burning unattended candles around tall weeds.
Any opinions?
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 1:28pm
I'm pretty sure they're usually on public property, i.e. a city/county/state right of way and I don't think I've ever seen a case where someone lit candles then went away leaving them burning.

I don't have a problem with them.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:07pm
I think it would be better if there was a time limit, like one month, then it must be cleaned up, as they get very messy looking after awhile. They do, however act as a reminder to people to "slow down" which is a good thing, but sometimes they can overtake an intersection causing more problems than what was intended.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:48pm
I was in the first full year of my life in Wisconsin when this happened not too far to the east of where I was staying.

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY, Wis. —

It has been 10 years since the deadliest highway crash in Wisconsin history.

"I was sitting at my computer," said Eva Balint, who lives near the crash site. "I heard that thump, thump, thump."

The wife and I were traveling later that year and decided to stop at the crash site.  RIP

A few years before that I lost a good friend, she was the roommate of my next door neighbor Matt.
A beautiful woman in her late 20s. She fell asleep at the wheel and hit a tree headon.

I stopped at that site too. There was still a lot of blood, Cry. Her name was Shelly and Matt had left some broken sea shells there.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 8:41pm
There have been a few of those around here.

In 2008 there was a 70 car pile up on I-4 between Tampa and Orlando.

Amazingly, "only" four people died.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 4:42am
I often wonder how many additional accidents they cause because people are trying to read them as they drive past.  I think a better long-term solution is to spray paint a small "memorial" onto the asphalt at the edge of the road.  Just use a stencil and put in the name, etc... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic