Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP....Pete Seeger...and Thank You, Sir!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP....Pete Seeger...and Thank You, Sir!
    Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 12:44pm
Thank You for everything, Mr. Seeger...you are now part of the past, but such an important part.
Condolences go out to Your family as You rejoin your wife of 71 years.
I pity the fool who knows not your legacy
~~~
Legendary folk singer Pete Seeger dies at 94
Folk legend Pete Seeger died Monday at 94, his grandson said.
~~~
leg·a·cy noun \ˈle-gə-sē\ 

: something (such as property or money) that is received from someone who has died

: something that happened in the past or that comes from someone in the past

~~~
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 1:01pm
Just heard about that.

94 years old.... wow.

Not a bad run.

Spent his life doing something he loved.

Lucky man.

RIP Pete.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 1:26pm

Red and dead.

I watched a documentary on him not too long ago.  Pretty interesting.

RIP, Mr. Seeger.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 1:33pm

ConfusedMy mind has just been reeling after hearing of Pete Seeger's decision to 'head on over to the other side'...there's SO much 'history'. I wonder how much our 'youfs' know about this man, his politics, such as his roles in was 'Occupy Wall Street', not to speak of something that happened a long, long time ago with people they may never heard of - 'The Civil Rights Movement'.

~~~

Martin Luther King, Pete Seeger, Rosa Parks, Ralph Abernathy, and Charis Horton at Highlander Institute, 1957

Martin Luther King, Pete Seeger, Rosa Parks, Ralph Abernathy, and Charis Horton at Highlander Institute, 1957

~~~

Then the mind starts reeling further backwards...what inspired and drove Pete Seeger?

The brain trips over who else other than Woody Guthrie.

They were lifetime friends...but just try and find a recording with both of them (you can find a million recordings of Pete with Arlo, of course). 
To find them together, one must reach back a bit: 
The Almanac Singers - they were both part of this group at the same time.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

My mind has just been reeling after hearing of Pete Seeger's decision to 'head on over to the other side'...there's SO much 'history'. I wonder how much our 'youfs' know about this man, his politics, such as his roles in was 'Occupy Wall Street', not to speak of something that happened a long, long time ago with people they may never heard of - 'The Civil Rights Movement'.

Not to mention the migrant workers' rights & labor union movement of the 1930's & 40's which was of equal importance & significance.

He & Woody fought that battle together.

I wonder who all will show up to play at the memorial service...

Arlo almost certainly.

Wonder if Dylan will show....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:02pm
I would expct none less than Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Bragg, Joan Baez, Neil Young, probably the entire group 'WILCO'....and that came without batting an eye. The turnout is certain to be gigantic.
MissyDWolf has already tromped off to work and had not heard by the time she left...but I'm sure this will be a topic between us sometime today.   
~~~
Maybe it's time for rest...for some reason, this old standard folk song comes to mind...and I know this is different, given Seeger and Guthrie were not known for 'religious leanings', per se...but this seemed an applicable tune for one who's job is finshed, who's day is done.

The Wayfarin' Stranger

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
I'm traveling through this world of woe
Yet there's no sickness, toil nor danger
In that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my mother/father
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm just a-going over Jordan
I'm just a-going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me
I know my way is rough and steep
Yet golden fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed shall ever sleep
I'm going there to see my father/mother
She/he said he'd/she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home

I want to wear a crown of glory
When I get home to that good land
I want to shout salvation's story
In concert with the blood-washed band

I'm going there to meet my Saviour
To sing his praise forever more
I'm just a-going over Jordan
I'm just a-going over home

~~~

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:10pm
Yeah, Baez for sure.

I was thinking of Springsteen too, because afterall, what's a memorial event for someone or something without Springsteen being there?

It's almost an automatic response & foregone conclusion.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:25pm
He lived not that far from me. In fact, the same town as Aleen lives in. I know he was 94, but it will take a while for it to sink in that he's really gone.

RIP, Pete. We'll look after the Clearwater Sloop for you.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Red and dead...

ShockedYou sound like a friggin' direspectful facist.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:35pm

Yep, that's me.  LOL

Hey, Seeger was a Stalinist.  What can I say?  He did write some catchy little ditties, though.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:45pm
Yea...he was on Joe McCarthy's 'sh*t list', along with Edward R Murrow and about a million other people who wouldn't walk 'The Lemming Line'.
~~~
You're still a facist and I don't love you anymore.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:58pm
I think the reason why Seeger was willing to seemingly overlook the brutality of Stalin was because he truly believed in the ideology of communism, which in & of itself, is not "evil" as it came to be portrayed due to the unfortunate choice fate gave the Russian Soviets as their leader.

And to be fair, during Stalin's reign, the true extent of his brutality was probably not fully known.

Having the benefit of hindsight makes seeing the truth much easier.

Anyway, Seeger did recant & renounce any support he may have at one time had for "Big Joe".

Even penned a song about it...

Big Joe Blues

I'm singing about old Joe, cruel Joe
He ruled with an iron hand
He put an end to the dreams
Of so many in every land
He had a chance to make
A brand new start for the human race
Instead he set it back
Right in the same nasty place
I got the Big Joe Blues.

And also:

Quote I'll apologize for a number of things, such as thinking that Stalin was simply a 'hard driver' and not a supremely cruel misleader. I guess anyone who calls himself or herself a Christian should be prepared to apologize for the Inquisition, the burning of heretics by Protestants, the slaughter of Jews and Moslems by Crusaders. White people in the U.S.A. could consider apologizing for stealing land from Native Americans and enslaving blacks. Europeans could apologize for worldwide conquests, Mongolians for Genghis Khan. And supporters of Roosevelt could apologize for his support of Somoza, of Southern white Democrats, of Franco Spain, for putting Japanese Americans in concentration camps. ~ Pete Seeger

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 3:01pm

Yea...he was on Joe McCarthy's 'sh*t list', along with Edward R Murrow and about a million other people who wouldn't walk 'The Lemming Line'.
~~~

LOL

He was a Commie.  And not someone simply suspected of such.  He was a self-avowed Commie.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Anyway, Seeger did recant & renounce any support he may have at one time had for "Big Joe".

Even penned a song about it...

Big Joe Blues

Took him long enough.  I think he wrote that just a few years ago.

Even after the horrors of Stalinism were well-known, Seeger continued to support the Soviets.  He remained very anti-Nuke in regards US stockpiles, but not the USSR's.  The portrayal of Seeger as some sort of peace activist is, and always has been, a load of sh*t.

He also supported cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal.  That's all I need to know.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 3:51pm

~~~

LOL

He was a Commie.  And not someone simply suspected of such.  He was a self-avowed Commie.
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think the reason why Seeger was willing to seemingly overlook the brutality of Stalin was because he truly believed in the ideology of communism, which in & of itself, is not "evil" as it came to be portrayed due to the unfortunate choice fate gave the Russian Soviets as their leader.

All people that cry 'Commie!' hate The Baby Jesus - I know it's true. All anyone has to do is understand the basic social structure of 'the common man' during those times, which *I* believe was much more 'communal'.
Wink...now, maybe you missed something ol'Mule just said and which I have long agreed (the bolded portion his staement, not your 'Baby Jesus-hating, facist comments' - sorry if that got confusing by me bolding both). Any intelligent individual would have to agree with it being an idealistic concept that really sounds good. And I'm pretty sure any half-witted human that learned to read their own bedtime stories and make simple decisions would also agree...as long as they can get over their fears and both interpret and translate the concept of 'social order' into something, anything less brutal than what history has wrought - maybe more like Walt Disney might write. Anyone can dream (I've even heard of a man who had to proclaim he had one because other people 'just weren't getting it'). 
'History' has taught us somebody has to lead and maintain the concepts, rules, and laws of any 'equality effort' and this 'somebody' obviously must have 'special powers & provisions' to deal with the insolent naysayers - those destined to work the Gulag, or the secret  'Metro 2' projects ("Hell! We have a population to feed! What's wrong with THAT?!!!"), or, well, maybe just nailed to a cross.
Whadda Ya think?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 4:05pm

I don't think Seeger was evil, Pa.  I think he was naive.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 4:06pm
Word of the Day: Utopian
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 4:09pm

I don't think Seeger was evil, Pa.  I think he was naive.

SmileOf course I have to agree with you there...but 'opportunity knocked' and I couldn't resist going nuts given I'm bored, have the day off, and it's too cold to go outside and pester the rest of the world...will you ever forgive me?Embarrassed
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 4:11pm

Took him long enough. I think he wrote that just a few years ago.

Even after the horrors of Stalinism were well-known, Seeger continued to support the Soviets. He remained very anti-Nuke in regards US stockpiles, but not the USSR's. The portrayal of Seeger as some sort of peace activist is, and always has been, a load of sh*t.

He also supported cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal. That's all I need to know.

God save us from people who feel they know all they need to know about anything....

http://terryhowcott.com/closeup.asp?cid=9&pid=1220&offset=60

Looks to me like there is quite a large number of people who have very legitimate doubts about the veracity of the case against Mumia Abu-Jamal.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 4:37pm

Abu-Jamal was caught at the scene with the actual smoking gun, was identified as the shooter by bystanders, and there was lots of other circumstantial evidence.  Plus, he had motives.  The guy the cop was apprehending at the time, was Abu-Jamal's brother, and having been a Black Panther---well, we know they're not exactly fond of the police.

So, if some details were disputed in the trial or in ballistics tests, these disputes are minor.  

In fact, I'll bet most of his supporters later went on to become 9/11 Truthers.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 4:52pm
Sounds to me like there were more than just a few minor discrepancies.

Eyewitnesses coerced to lie, inconsistent evidence, highly corrupt police officer on the scene,etc., etc.

If his brother was a Panther, that in itself gives the PPD motive to railroad him & possibly frame his brother.

Lotta things possible & none of us who weren't there can really say for sure one way or the other.

Or that a musician who believed in Abu-Jamal's innocence isn't worthy of respect upon his death.

C'mon, man!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 5:07pm
Heaven was just enriched, yet our world was weakened with his passing.
At least he can join his beloved wife Toshi who passed on last year.
Perhaps Pete will act as the guardian angel to everyone in need, at his new post in God's hands.
God Bless you Pete, and thank you for all that you gave us.
May your legacy live on through your Grandson's efforts~
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 5:09pm

Mumia was the Black Panther, not his brother.  If the cops wanted to frame Mumia, how could they have insured that he'd be right there at the scene---and with a weapon---when they pulled over his brother?

I think the cloud of doubt re Mumia was concocted much later.  And as time passes, reality becomes vaguer and more distorted.  I'm not even sure it's worth arguing either side of the story at this point.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 5:32pm
You think the cops couldn't engineer something like that???

They could've been following both of them for weeks with the intention of using his brother for the purpose of setting him up.

And a possibly innocent person's life not worth being agued about....??

The possibility of a massive miscarriage of American justice not worth being argued about...??

Really??

To whom?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 5:45pm

It just doesn't make sense to me that cops would rather get someone who didn't kill one of their own, than someone who did.

I guess I'd have to know that the cops wanted Faulkner (the victim) dead for some reason, in order for me to entertain the idea that this might have been orchestrated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic