Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Robert Hunter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Robert Hunter
    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 4:39am
Robert Hunter died at age 78, at his home in California. He is best known for his work as a songwriter for The Grateful Dead.
Robert Hunter was living in Arizona when the Dead were just starting out as a band, and after taking LSD Hunter wrote lyrics to possible songs and sent them through the mail to Jerry Garcia. Garcia and the Dead put Robert Hunter's lyrics to music.

I am a longtime Deadhead, and the passing of Robert Hunter is very sad for me. Just as I felt when Jerry Garcia passed away in 1995, Robert Hunter was the main lyricist for The Grateful Dead.
I will be forever thankful, if not Grateful for the songs Robert Hunter wrote for that legendary band.

God Bless you, Robert Hunter!
btw....my words at the bottom of each post were written by Robert Hunter....."one man gathers what another man spills" lyrics from the song St. Stephen......one of my favourite Grateful Dead songs.

One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 2:25am
"Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."

Rest in peace, Robert Hunter. Your lyrics live on.
CapeCat
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I am a longtime Deadhead, and the passing of Robert Hunter is very sad for me. Just as I felt when Jerry Garcia passed away in 1995, Robert Hunter was the main lyricist for The Grateful Dead.
I will be forever thankful, if not Grateful for the songs Robert Hunter wrote for that legendary band.

Not a huge fan, but I've come to enjoy hearing them over the years.  There's a radio show I sometimes catch that plays old concert audio---high quality bootlegs, I assume---mostly from the 70s.

I went up to Haight x Ashbury Street the morning I'd heard Garcia died (I was then living about 3 blocks away on Central and Page).  There was a makeshift memorial going on, with a drummer and a buncha deadheads doing an impromptu "Not Fade Away".  A pic was taken that showed up in People magazine.  There I was.  I recognized me by my shirt as most of my head was outta the pic.  Hey, maybe it wasn't even me, but I'm pretty sure it was.

RIP, Mr. Hunter.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:18pm
Not a huge fan either but I respect their music. I kind of fit into the age group too.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:38pm
I'm another long-time fan of the band...heck, it just hit me how long it has been since Garcia passed...or, for heavens sake, 'Pig Pen' passed away almost 40 years ago...and a few others since.
Thank You for all the special music and times, Robert Hunter.
CryThis is one song I dearly love but hardly can ever listen to...but this is the time.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 7:39pm
Did he write 'Black Peter'?
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Did he write 'Black Peter'?
That was a Hunter/Garcia tune, so...yes indeed.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 1:03am
Yes, Robert Hunter wrote the lyrics and Jerry wrote the music. 
Isn't Black Peter a brilliant song?
One man gathers what another man spills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic