Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Richard Briers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Richard Briers
    Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:51pm
Richard was one of the most beloved actors from the UK. He passed on 17th of February, at 79 years of age.
Richard was best known for the role of Hector MacDonald in the BBC series Monarch Of The Glen, he was also known for a beloved sit-com character named Tom Good from the 70's sit-com The Good Life ( known as The Good Neighbors in the USA).
Richard was a delightful man, known for cheering up other cast members whenever he worked.
Richard Briers was known in the UK as one of the commonwealth's favourite actors.
I'll miss him, because he always made me smile.
God Bless you Richard, you'll never be forgotten!
One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:53am
Monarch of the Glen turned into a hideous mess when he left.

His bits on French and Saunders were terrific.

Hell, everything this man touched was utter perfection. He was a brilliant comedian, an excellent dramatic actor.
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 2:53am
The Good Neighbors.  I liked that show....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 1:44am
Wow, I just saw this thread & had no idea he had passed away. Cry

I really liked him a lot, too.

I started watching Monarch of the Glen on one of our two public broadcasting stations a few years ago, but they were already into the last two seasons, so I missed the ones with Briers. Saw him on episodes of New Tricks, & Inspector Lewis, though. I think he may have been in the MotG series finale.

In The Good Neighbors, his character was a former draftsman, a vocation that I held for many years myself.

What I really enjoyed him in though, was Ever Decreasing Circles, in which he played Martin Bryce, a sort of male version of Hyacinth Bucket, but his obsession was with order & precision rather than social status like Hyacinth. But like her, he wanted to be in charge of everything.

A much younger (& prettier) Penelope Wilton (Matthew's mother on Downton Abbey) played his wife, Ann.

This is very sad news for me.

RIP Richard.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 3:10am
Ever Decreasing Circles was brilliant, though I'd say simply that he LACKED Hyacinth's social aspirations, as she was - or attempted to be - equally obsessed with order and precision.

The Good Life is my personal favourite, if only because it was one of those staples of my PBS-exclusive childhood. Penolope Keith, Felicity Kendall, always get an instant "must watch" in whatever they're in. Rosemary and Thyme, and To the manor Borne being my tops for each respectively.

I remember hearing that Richard was one of the actors originally intended to play Wilfred Mott on Doctor Who, but he felt he was not in good enough health to act on such an action-packed show, so the role went to Bernard Cribbons.

Of course, Richard had plenty of cameos on the classic show.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 3:53am
I don't think Hyacinth held a candle to Martin in terms of obsession with order & precision.

Hyacinth didn't have a walk-in closet "office" in which she drew up flow charts for doing the house cleaning!!!! LOL

I'm only just now seeing The Good Neighbors for the first time, so it's like a new show for me.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:26pm
Thanks for posting that clip Jimbo. That was a brilliant Brit-com....I'm so pleased so many of you enjoyed his comedy as much as I always did.
One man gathers what another man spills
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 2:26am
Yeah, the world becomes a sadder place everytime someone like him or Jonathan Winters passes away.

All the great stars of our day are fading away.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 3:24am
And in their place another reality show debuts, I HATE this century!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 3:40am
^^ Yep.

Everything seems to get cheaper & crappier with each passing year.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 3:49am
Well, we still have some of the other good Richards...

Richard Wilson,

Richard Attenborough,

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 3:23am
He was a true gem, he will be missed.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 3:42am
Just finished watching an episode of "Good Neighbors".

It was the one entitled "Going to Pot?", where they took night classes.

Barbara took pottery & Tom took home repair, but they each sucked at the subject they'd chosen, so they switched. Tom turned out to be so good at pottery, he started selling it as fast as he coud make it, then a local artist wanted to sponsor him & they almost rejoined the rat race.

It's just depressing to watch now though, knowing he's gone.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 3:49am
I know what you mean, Jimbo. I was planning on watching The Good Life along with favourite episodes of Ever Decreasing Circles, and Monarch of the Glen, but I could barely get through one episode because it just felt...sad.

He had so much life and vigor and eagerness to work, practically to the end. An Actor who is not only phenomenally talented, but who truly loves and enjoys his work is such a rarity.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 4:23am
Do you have those series' on DVD?
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 5:07am
Monarch of the Glen, I have the American DVDs, but only Series 1-3, because the show honestly was sh*t after they killed off Richard Brier's character.

The Good Life, I have the imports (Because the American releases are done by Acorn Media, who refuses to put subtitles/closed captioning on their releases) of Series 1, and Series 4, with the rest being digital.

Ever Decreasing Circles I just have digital versions of.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 4:49pm
I kinda struggle with the idea of owning my favorite shows on some sort of playable media.

I fear that if I owned them, I'd never watch them, or that it wouldn't be as much fun.

To me it's kind of a "treat" to have them shown on network TV & schedule my time to watch it.

Sort of takes the fun out of it knowing that I could watch them at 10 or 11 am on a weekday if I wanted to.

Re: MotG, I only started watching it for the last two seasons (in reruns around 2007-08 after it was done) & not knowing anything about the original cast, I found it to be very enjoyable & liked it a lot.

That was right at the same time I started watching New Tricks.

Ever see that one?

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 8:12pm
I have New Tricks on my "to watch" list, but...honestly, that list is about two-hundred shows long now.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 12:52am
New Tricks is awesome, I love that show.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic