Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Harry Morgan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Harry Morgan
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:51pm
Sgt. Joe Friday's partner, Officer Frank Gannon & Colonel Potter of M*A*S*H has passed away.

RIP Harry.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:27am
Had a hell of a movie career too, in the '40s and '50s: 'The Ox-Bow Incident', 'The Glenn Miller Story', 'High Noon', and, much later, 'The Shootist', just to name a few.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:37am
He was one of my favorites.

I've been wondering for years how much longer he had.

He was already pretty old during MASH.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:56am
He was still alive? DAMN I thought he died years ago!

R.I.P. Cry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:58am
I'd have assumed he died already, too.

RIP, Harry.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:01am
Give you an idea how old he was.... he was already almost Thor's & my age when he was doing Dragnet in the late 1960's!!!

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:09am
Cry

RIP.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:16am

Ermmo.k.o.k.o.k...what is this? A '2-fer' day?

One of the last great ones...RIP, Harry.

I always considered Harry at his very best in M*A*S*H
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 2:53am
He was every kind of awesome there is!!!!! RIP Harry!!! Cry
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:17am
I feel like I've been watching Harry Morgan as long as I've been watching TV. I watched his series "Pete and Gladys," durring summer vacation in the mid 60's, when it was being rerun in late mornings. I was also a big Dragnet fan, so I saw him for years in that. And then M*A*S*H (and yes, PaWolf, that was his best work).

RIP Harry, you will be missed. Cry
Hundreds of threads killed.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Give you an idea how old he was.... he was already almost Thor's & my age when he was doing Dragnet in the late 1960's!!! 
Confusedwow....you two are resurrected mudmonkies now, aren't you?!
(note to self: get Internet Exorcist to save CIH)
If you two were that age in the '60's....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:49am
When I graduated college, my folks were younger than I am now.  And they were old back then, lemme tell ya.  Old as dirt, so I thought.

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:55am
That's a shame.  He was pretty damn old though.
I don't think we see actors of his caliper these days.
was feeling nostalgic
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

That's a shame.  He was pretty damn old though.
I don't think we see actors of his caliper these days.

That is so true, shad....

Not many actors possess the caliper....

...of Harry Morgan!!!! LOLWink

(sorry.... couldn't resist Big smile)

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 3:07pm
RIP, Harry. Every once in a while I still like ot catch an episode of MASH.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 3:36pm
Gahhh  damned spelling finger!
was feeling nostalgic
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

He was one of my favorites.

I've been wondering for years how much longer he had.

He was already pretty old during MASH.

It took me awhile to get to like him in M.A.S.H.  Wonder if Col. Blake still alive? I know "Frank" is dead and he wasn't that old. 
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:17pm
Nope, Col. Blake is dead.  His plane was shot down....  Cry
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 1:48am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Nope, Col. Blake is dead.  His plane was shot down....  Cry

Yup.

And so is McLean Stevenson, the actor who portrayed him...

Stevenson was recovering from bladder cancer surgery in a Los Angeles hospital on February 15, 1996, when he went into cardiac arrest and died. M*A*S*H writer Larry Gelbart later said that Stevenson had left too soon twice in one lifetime.

And oddly coincidental....

Roger Bowen, who had played Henry Blake in the film version of MASH, also died of cardiac arrest the day after Stevenson’s death.

How weird is that???? Confused

C'mon, man!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:37pm
I remember. Unlike Stevenson (who got picked on by critics but was very well-liked), Roger Bowen was a really underrated character actor (anyone who knows him only from MASH is really missing out).
One of my favorite funny scenes with Harry is from a drama, called "Not As A Stranger." He played a really stereotyped Swedish-American (I didn't know he really was of Scandinavian descent till I read this thread). The main character played by Robert Mitchum tried to tell Morgan a joke, and being a stereotyped Scandinavian, he didn't have a clue about how a joke works, so it was lost on him completely. Anyway, the two of them made the scene really funny.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:35pm
I'll have to look into some of his work. I only knew of him thru the original MASH movie.

The one scene of his that I really remember is the one where he's in bed with some hot nurse drinking champagne when Hotlips comes in crying after the "shower incident", threatening to resign her commission...

"Goddammit Hotlips, resign your damned commission!!!"

"More champagne dear?...."

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:40pm
Hotlips.  In the movie played by Sally Kellerman.  Also the Goddess woman of Star Trek's second pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic