Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remember when?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remember when?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:32pm
Remember when motor oil came in cans and you punched holes in the top with a church key?

I remember the pour spout that made its own hole if you jammed it in but a relief hole to let air in let the oil out easier.

S&H Green Stamps, The Milk Man, 3 network TV channels?

Gas was 25 cents a gallon, you could buy a Coke for 5 cents. Not many school shootings at all. WTF has happened?
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Remember when motor oil came in cans and you punched holes in the top with a church key?

I remember the pour spout that made its own hole if you jammed it in but a relief hole to let air in let the oil out easier.

S&H Green Stamps, The Milk Man, 3 network TV channels?

Gas was 25 cents a gallon, you could buy a Coke for 5 cents. Not many school shootings at all. WTF has happened?

School shootings were unheard of. They NEVER happened.

The closest thing to one was the University of Texas at Austin clock tower shooting by Charles Whitman in 1965.

The cheapest I remember sodas costing out of vending machines was 10¢. Admission to the movies was 35¢. That's what my best friend and I paid to see The Dirty Dozen.

TV shows couldn't show a man and wife in the same bed or even suggest that they slept in the same one.

Mr and Mrs Rob and Laura Petrie of the Dyke Van Dick Show.

No wonder she was a dyke and he was a dick... they weren't gettin' any!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:45pm
I remember when an "R" rating meant "Children under 17 must be accompanied by money". When the most expensive item on an ice cream truck was 25 cents. When a model kit sold for a buck or over it was "expensive". When live Maine Lobsters sold for $1.00 a pound. When a Big Mac/Whopper with a side of fries and a soda sold for less than a dollar. 
Poiuyt Power!!!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:40am
Ames, Bradlees, Caldor, Zayre, Hills, Nu-Stars, Davidson & Leventhal, Sage Allen, Jeofferson Ward, G. Fox, Three D Bed and Bath, Medi Mart, Nobody Beats The Wiz, Grants, Two Guys, Toys R Us, FW Woolworth, Kennedy's, Media Play, Finast, Edward's, A&P, Pathmark, Encore Books, B. Dalton, Service Merchandise, Jordan Marsh, Woolco, Borders Books and Music any that I missed? Some are ones I know of others I've heard of from other other people all are defunct one is soon to be defunct.

The first mass school shooting was in 1999 in Columbine. Before that mass shooting the only mass killings of people stateside was Waco in 1993 and Murrah Building bombing in 1995. Back it was unfathomable to have anything close to Columbine never mind 9/11!

Talking about that I remember it was unfathomable that planes would hit a building, on purpose! It was so unimaginable that a plane would purposely hit a building in the 1990s that we jokingly did it once with a 747 on Flight Simulator I think either 1995 or 1998. No not the WTC, the diamond shaped building I think in Chicago. Or was it Dallas? We weren't terrorists we were just fooling around!

I remember a T time when Y2K was front page news and not terrorism, I miss those days! Things were a lot less scary!

BTW 20 years ago, ISIS and Boco Haram were unheard of! Also a picture of the Twin Towers didn't invoke dispair unhappiness or bad memories.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Ames, Bradlees, Caldor, Zayre, Hills, Nu-Stars, Davidson & Leventhal, Sage Allen, Jeofferson Ward, G. Fox, Three D Bed and Bath, Medi Mart, Nobody Beats The Wiz, Grants, Two Guys, Toys R Us, FW Woolworth, Kennedy's, Media Play, Finast, Edward's, A&P, Pathmark, Encore Books, B. Dalton, Service Merchandise, Jordan Marsh, Woolco, Borders Books and Music any that I missed? Some are ones I know of others I've heard of from other other people all are defunct one is soon to be defunct.

The first mass school shooting was in 1999 in Columbine. Before that mass shooting the only mass killings of people stateside was Waco in 1993 and Murrah Building bombing in 1995. Back it was unfathomable to have anything close to Columbine never mind 9/11!

You mentioned Jefferson Ward. I actually remember MONTGOMERY Ward.

AAMOF, my mom worked for them for about 15 years and I myself worked for them for a year.

As for the school shootings, Columbine was the first public school shooting, but as I mentioned earlier, the incident at the University of Texas at Austin where Charles Whitman climbed to the top of the clock tower with a high powered hunting rifle and scope, and began firing on the students as they walked across campus. His death toll was 16 with 31 injured. Plus his wife and mother the night before.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:32am
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:36am
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

You mentioned Jefferson Ward. I actually remember MONTGOMERY Ward.

AAMOF, my mom worked for them for about 15 years and I myself worked for them for a year.

As for the school shootings, Columbine was the first public school shooting, but as I mentioned earlier, the incident at the University of Texas at Austin where Charles Whitman climbed to the top of the clock tower with a high powered hunting rifle and scope, and began firing on the students as they walked across campus. His death toll was 16 with 31 injured. Plus his wife and mother the night before.

My parents shopped at "Monkey Ward". They bought my first bicycle there for my 5th Birthday. I think it cost about $15. They obviously decided Band-Aids were less expensive than the optional training wheels!

The first school shooting besides Austin, TX I remember was Stockton, CA 1989. Elementary school playground. 5 dead, 29 wounded.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Of course that was for the 7 ounce bottles. 12 ounce bottles were a dime.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm
Oh shoot how can I forget Mountgomery Ward! I've seen an old early 90s ad on YouTube once years ago that brought back memories of watching DS9 that ended with the silvery shiney logo with that lady singing "Mouuuuntgomoerry WAARD!"

I still remember when the Fox TV station still had searchlights in its logo! BTW anyone remember Electronics Playground? They were like Circuit City except discount and had the "Time to make the doughnuts" Dunkin' Donuts guy as their spokesperson!

I still remember a time when WFSB was located in Constitution Plaza! I still remember when NBC CT used to be called NBC 30 and was housed in a small brick building! I still remember WBNE 59 and WTXX UPN 20!

I even remember the Farmington Valley Mall and Naugatuck Valley Mall!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:33pm
"Monkey Ward" LOL  That's what my dad called it!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:59pm
Toys R Us going out of business, God knows how many toys I bought there for friends & relatives. They even had DVDs at their stores. Thanks for the memories. IMO the internet can be partly blamed for this, why go to a "Brick & Mortar" store when you can get it from an online source instead. 

I wonder when the day will come when Wal-Mart goes under?

Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:23pm
^  That's one of those things we can completely blame people, rather than the internet for.  No one was ever forced to buy off the 'net.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:24pm
Remember when Remember Then was a hit, and Doo-Wop ruled the radio?  I do.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:48pm
I still remember a time when stations like Hot 93.7 didn't even EXIST!
Lowellchris View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowellchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:01pm

I remember when White Castle sliders were 27 cents , and candy bars were full sized , easily double of what they are now . I remember walking to the corner store with a hand written note from my mom , saying " please let Chris buy a box pack of Marlboro reds " , and they cost a dollar and a quarter and a dime ...that's the way I remembered how much to give the lady ..I'd ask my mom if a could keep the change ? She usually told me ' No ' ..times were easier back then . stores bought back glass bottles for a dime a piece ..we would walk the streets and alley looking to find a bottle . Concession at a peewee baseball game , you could get a dog and a cup of soda for a dollar ..what happened to the world ? You got a flat back then , people would stop and help . Now you break down and you're lucky if nobody stops to rip you off ..human race sucks .
It grinds my gears
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic