Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remakes- Yay or Nay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remakes- Yay or Nay?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 5:56pm
The younger members may not even know about Michael Jackson's version of this.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 7:20pm
I remember what 'teen spirit' smells like...I don't want to get close enough to smell Miley, she might break my achy breaky nose.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:44pm
SmileInteresting topic
ORIGINAL

Those that came along and covered it trying to make a name for themselves...LOL
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:55pm
Smile
This may have been the hardest album for me to ever find - just for this song
ORIGINAL VERSION
Big smile...another who needed to make a name for himself at the cost of another
COPYCAT VERSION
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:41am
Nay!
One man gathers what another man spills
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 8:39am
CryHere's an unbridled, obligatory 'NO' (nobody in this mix could claim me as a fan...)
You can go find the AC/DC version on your own - Homey don't play 'dat.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:58am
^ LOL

I wasn't a fan either.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Smile
ORIGINAL VERSION

Big smile...another who needed to make a name for himself at the cost of another
COPYCAT VERSION

Thanks for the effort, PaW.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Smile
ORIGINAL VERSION

COPYCAT VERSION

Thanks for the effort, PaW.
WinkAlways remember this, little dude: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness

Indeed, I DO appreciate your ongoing compliments.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 8:13pm
Yeah, we can't all be as great as you.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 8:27pm
^ Speaking of remakes, here we go again!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:49pm
Couple of my fave rave remakes:

Original:

Remake:

Original:

Remake:

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:57pm

CryHere's an unbridled, obligatory 'NO' (nobody in this mix could claim me as a fan...)
You can go find the AC/DC version on your own - Homey don't play 'dat.

I don't know how long that post has been there, but I only just now was able to force myself to watch about 30 seconds of that abomination.

Wait a minute.... did people actually PAY MONEY to go see that crap live????

Seriously?????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm
^That should teach you a lesson kiddies Celine Dion and Anatascia should never EVER do rock!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 5:40pm
I'm not a big fan of country music or Johnny Cash, I like both versions of this.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:43pm

I'm not a big fan of country music or Johnny Cash, I like both versions of this.

Love NIN and this song too.  Total Johnny Cash fan, love his version of "Hurt."  
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Couple of my fave rave remakes:

Original:

Remake:

Original:

Remake:

These are favorites of mine as well!  Big smile  I kind of like the remakes better.  Wink
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
I could not get through the Celine Dion/Anastacia video and actually forced myself to get as far as I did.  I had to stop when Celine did her hip thrust thing.  No, just no.  Dead
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 6:25am
I actually subjected myself to this crap at full volume! Yuck just yuck! Both were singing flat. I don't how they managed to f**k up an AC/DC song but they did!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:37pm
There must have been a similar music topic, I remember people talking about this song.

I made some adjustments to the treble, balance and sub-woofer. Like this song, the sound system on my PC freaking rocks!!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:12pm

There must have been a similar music topic, I remember people talking about this song.

I made some adjustments to the treble, balance and sub-woofer. Like this song, the sound system on my PC freaking rocks!!

I think I posted the vid of that CBB hit "Couldn't Get It Right" not too long ago. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

Definitely liked the Johnny Rivers version of "Seventh Son", better though.

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:01pm
It's both.If the remake insignificantly BETTER than the original, it's a yay. If the remake is significantly WORSE than the original it's a nay. And if the remake is not significantly better but does the original justice it is still a yay.

Examples.

Whitney Houston remade The Greatest Love.In her version she sounded hopeful. The original singer sounded depressed. She did it better. Yay.

Celine Dion remade Michael Jackson's Bad. She sounded bad in the literal sense of the word. Nay.

Pink remade Grace Slick's White Rabbit. Although she didn't sound as good as Grace, she sounded good and sang it in the vein of Grace. She did it justice and even Grace herself praised Pink's remake. Yay.

My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:40pm
Just depends on who is doing it, and how. If a band is putting their own personal take on the song, and does a good version, nice. Cross genre covers are good at this. Take the Outlaw's rocked up version of Ghost Riders in the Sky, the previously mentioned Johnny Cash version of Hurt, or WASP's metal take on The Who's The Real Me. Of course, this can go wrong, if the cover band changes the original so much that you can't even tell it's the same song, or if the band is just bad in general. Then there are cases where the cover is so close to the original that you have to wonder why they did the cover to begin with...a common problem with "tribute bands".
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Then there are cases where the cover is so close to the original that you have to wonder why they did the cover to begin with...a common problem with "tribute bands".

As in Quiet Riot's covers of a couple of Slade songs.  All they added maybe was a cleaner production.  It sounded good, but was really close to the original.

Of course, had they not covered at least Cum On Feel the Noize, they wouldn't have had any hits at all.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:29pm
Prior to the mid-60s, half the songs on any given album were cover versions, anyway.  The artists back then didn't necessarily write their songs.  Back then, there were songwriters who were totally independent, and would sell their songs to multiple performers.  It wasn't until the mid-late 60s that artists started doing it all themselves.

A quick glance at the Beatles' first album shows that 6 out of 14 songs were covers.  Bob Dylan's first album?  2 original songs, 11 remakes.

So---remakes, yay or nay?  I don't care much one way or another.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic