Print Page | Close Window

Your unfavorite overused sound FX in ads?

Printed From: Commercials I Hate!
Category: Commercials You Hate!
Forum Name: Commercial Talk
Forum Description: Discuss commercial trends, or ads you don't hate.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29004
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your unfavorite overused sound FX in ads?
Posted By: Dr. Dan
Subject: Your unfavorite overused sound FX in ads?
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:23am
As with catchphrases, It doesn't take much repeated usage to make a canned sound tiresome. If it's already annoying, then....

A new political attack ad starts out with a clip of one of the targeted candidate's ads, which gets interrupted with the old and hackneyed phonograph-needle scratch, followed by the "liar, liar" type accusations.

The last time I heard this record scratching, it was to accompany some happy-go-lucky scene ruined by a cockroach, bathroom fungus, hemorrhoids, or whatever the advertised product gets rid of forever!

Other pet-peeve cliché sounds on my personal Hall of Shame:
  • Playback devices making that squeaky-mice noise when rewinding or fast-forwarding (Even on a DVD machine, for crying out loud!)

• Dog groaning as if being scolded, usually when the camera pans over to the canine

• Any sound used instead of the noun for whatever makes the sound in real life (usually in radio ads, e.g., "Whether you're expecting a [baby crying], buying a [car horn honking], or getting [wedding march], we've got a loan for you!"

What sounds are you sick of hearing in commercials?

-------------
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!

Replies:
Posted By: jnoble
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:43pm
Not in a commerical but whenever the news runs a story on online hackers/scammers/foreign election interference/something internet tech related  they ALWAYS use the same B-roll footage of fingers click-clack-clacking on a keyboard, someone in a hoodie hunched over a PC in a dark room, lots of blinky lights on servers, green binary code flashing past the screen, etc while high-tech sounding tense robotic music runs under it trying to sound all futuristic 

Posted By: jnoble
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm
As far as political ads go, gotta love the scary music bed that's run under the unflattering slow motion black and white photos of the BAD opponent and a man and woman glumly sitting at a table in front of a pile of bills face palming ("These new tax hikes are ruining us!") before the music becomes bright and inspiring, color returns and we see the GOOD candidate in a hard hat nodding thoughtfully while walking through a factory with workers, slow motion shaking hands at a rally and then the token shot of him in a group hug with the wife and cute kids to show us he's just a normal family person looking out for us normal people. Not like that OTHER guy...
**cue ominous music**

LOL

Posted By: Dr. Dan
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:45am
Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

As far as political ads go, gotta love the scary music bed that's run under the unflattering slow motion black and white photos of the BAD opponent and a man and woman glumly sitting at a table in front of a pile of bills face palming ("These new tax hikes are ruining us!") before the music becomes bright and inspiring, color returns and we see the GOOD candidate in a hard hat nodding thoughtfully while walking through a factory with workers, slow motion shaking hands at a rally and then the token shot of him in a group hug with the wife and cute kids to show us he's just a normal family person looking out for us normal people. Not like that OTHER guy...
**cue ominous music**

LOL

Speak of the devil: when I was reading your post, I heard on my TV, "I'm [name that coincidentally sounds like a type of pork], and I approve this message." Then comes exactly the kind of audio/video you describe, along with the depiction of his opponent as if she were borderline Antifa. I can't comment on the audio (I hit the mute as soon as I heard his "...and I approve this message."). However, you do have the visual images spot on!

-------------
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk