Print Page | Close Window

USAA "Giving back to our Mimbers" (video)

Printed From: Commercials I Hate!
Category: Commercials You Hate!
Forum Name: Television / Streaming Ads
Forum Description: You hate them. Tell us why.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28814
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:59am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: USAA "Giving back to our Mimbers" (video)
Posted By: Thuumb
Subject: USAA "Giving back to our Mimbers" (video)
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:44pm

I hate to do this, but this guys' country/southern twang has gotten under my skin. For some reason, I thought I remember him saying he's the CEO or something, but I could be wrong (anyone know?). Whatever, here are some of his crimes against the verbal English language from this commercial (which I'm hearing ALL the freaking time):

"USAA mimbers"
"groshries"
"INsurance" (and also says it correctly: "insurance")
"cuzit's the right thing ta duue"
"USAA dot-cawm"

I don't have anything against the southern accent. I grew up in a rural state and lived in the deep south for a few years. But guys who talk like this just sprinkle their drawl into their speech; almost contrived (also see HRC droppin' her "Gs"). Trying to sound like a "relatable redneck with a heart." Rant over. Again.

EDIT: my old video link disappeared. It should be available now.

Replies:
Posted By: Jimmy
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm
Those USAA ads with that group reciting USAA in full boot camp fashion is very annoying. I didn't like all of the shouting when I was in the RAF as a young adult, and I like it less as a senior citizen.

-------------
One man gathers what another man spills

Posted By: aka ron
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:54pm
Mimbers?

Posted By: radioandnascarfan
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Those USAA ads with that group reciting USAA in full boot camp fashion is very annoying. I didn't like all of the shouting when I was in the RAF as a young adult, and I like it less as a senior citizen.

Boot camp has to be a very tough thing to do.

Posted By: GulDukat
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:24pm
How about Martin's BBQ? Does his non-veteran neighbor whose car was also damaged by the hail storm get to go?

Posted By: HART
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by GulDukat GulDukat wrote:

How about Martin's BBQ? Does his non-veteran neighbor whose car was also damaged by the hail storm get to go?

LOLf**k no!

-------------
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 4:20am
Originally posted by radioandnascarfan radioandnascarfan wrote:

When I was in RAF training camp (boot camp for U.S. military), it was during the late 1970's, and it was bloody brutal. The senior officers were mainly former WWII and Korean War officers, and they hated us Boomers with a passion. Even though I was in officers training, due to my family ties, I was focused on by one particular officer who hated some of my elder family members who served with him in WWII. He made sure to try and drive me out of the service to our Majesty. I was chuffed when I made it, just to see the look on his face.

-------------

Posted By: radioandnascarfan
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:32pm

When I was in RAF training camp (boot camp for U.S. military), it was during the late 1970's, and it was bloody brutal. The senior officers were mainly former WWII and Korean War officers, and they hated us Boomers with a passion. Even though I was in officers training, due to my family ties, I was focused on by one particular officer who hated some of my elder family members who served with him in WWII. He made sure to try and drive me out of the service to our Majesty. I was chuffed when I made it, just to see the look on his face.

That's awful, and the WWII generation is called the greatest generation.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:19pm

That's awful, and the WWII generation is called the greatest generation.
That title was given that generation because they were the children of the people who fought in WWI. They were also the children who grew up during the depression. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk