Print Page | Close Window

It's Perfume Commercial Season Again! (video)

Printed From: Commercials I Hate!
Category: Commercials You Hate!
Forum Name: Television / Streaming Ads
Forum Description: You hate them. Tell us why.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2544
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: It's Perfume Commercial Season Again! (video)
Posted By: MFfan310
Subject: It's Perfume Commercial Season Again! (video)
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 3:15pm
Well, to be honest, I am a fragrance junkie. But I can't understand how some fragrance companies advertise their products... often times, seeing just one of their commercials is almost as painful and embarrassing as watching a block of back-to-back negative McCain/Obama/Congressional/gubernatorial commercials.

Case In Point #1: Emporio Armani Diamonds For Men

Not only are many people mad at Interpol for selling out to Armani to use the song "Slow Hands" in a TV commercial, but the commercial has that "Axe effect in overdrive" feel to it with a crowd chasing Josh Hartnett, right down to the "hard to resist" slogan. I find that hard to believe... I tried it once, and it is probably the worst cologne I've ever smelled. I even had to scrub it off. Dead

Case In Point #2: Jean Paul Gaultier Ma Dame

OK... this fruity floral perfume is aimed at the 13 to 24-year old set, the same folks who buy other very popular fruity florals on the Macy's shelves like Vera Wang's Princess and Paris Hilton's scents, so I can see why Beaute Prestige International (the Shiseido division in charge of Jean Paul Gaultier, Issey Miyake, and Narciso Rodriguez perfumes) wanted to enter the teen-perfume market. But the commercial is undecodeable to me... but, then again, I'm a (straight) guy, so what do I care? Great music though.

Case In Point #3: Rocawear 9IX... I mean 99

I'm not a fan of hip-hop (however, I did like Sean "Diddy" Combs' first fragrance, Unforgivable). But using a lady to sell a men's fragrance? That's bizzare. And the product is pronounced "99" but the bottle says "9IX"... that's gotta cause branding confusion when folks run into Sephora to grab a bottle of the Jay-Z-approved stink water in addition to their skin care regiment. The fragrance does smell good, though...

I think there's a reason why perfume companies are amping up the ads (for example, expect a big push for Diddy's next scent, "I Am King")... it and other beauty products are one of those "counter-cyclical" products in recessions. I hope that this is the case this time around... I know someone who works as a vendor rep for a perfume company.

Any others that you hate?

Replies:
Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 3:28pm
Just as the names of the perfumes have nothing to do with the smell, neither do the commercials.  Any of the above perfumes can be named any of the other ones, and the same holds true for the commercials.  All interchangeable.  I used to like English Leather,
which I doubt smells too much like British cows.

Interpol?  I've heard of them, but my guess is that they got some good money to have their song featured in a commercial.  I understand that movies, TV, commercials, video games, etc., are exactly what most artists want these days.  I read that it would be silly for an artist to not include this sort of thing in their contracts.  So, they haven't really sold out.  They've simply sold.

Posted By: HollyRock
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 12:57pm
That Jean-Paul Gaultier Ma Dame commercial is on every 10 minutes!  It's also so stupid, it makes me angry.

WTF?  "Wear this perfume and you'll be compelled to chop your hair and clothes up, and then kiss some strange guy."  Why?  Why wear perfume to make yourself into a crazy person?  Is that supposed to be good?  I don't get it.

Although: I'm not 13-14 years old.  But God help any 13-14 year old girl in my life who acts that way.

Another one that is overplayed, J'Adore:

Although it's not as awful as MaDame, it's on more often.  Just saw it twice, while composing this post! 

"Gold is cold, and Diamonds are dead."  OH REALLY?  Who gave you the authority to claim that?  Speaking of cold, how's the heat in that gigantic mansion you're strolling around in wearing only perfume and high heels?  Drafty?  Oo, sorry. 

Not.

OK make that three times, I just saw it again.

-------------
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?

Posted By: Ad nauseous
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 8:10pm
I never understood that song in the background "two THOUSAND and EIGHTY FOUR....two THOUSAND and NINETY THREE!!!.blah blah blah in the SPACE AGE"

seriously WTFF is this damn song ABOUT!!???

note to advertisers DON'T USE PUZZLING SONGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1Angry

-------------
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off

Posted By: N-Dizzle
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I never understood that song in the background "two THOUSAND and EIGHTY FOUR....two THOUSAND and NINETY THREE!!!.blah blah blah in the SPACE AGE"

seriously WTFF is this damn song ABOUT!!???

note to advertisers DON'T USE PUZZLING SONGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1Angry

Sounds like it belongs in the Jared commercial that's a ripoff of 2001 Space Odyssey.

-------------

Posted By: 70s80s
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 11:44pm
LLLLLLLLLLLLL is for the way you LOOOOOOOOK at me.
OOOOOOOOhhhhh is for the only OOOOOOOne I see.

I'm not sure how it goes in the Chanel ad I'm referring to, but the lady singing it can't seem to get over her (fake) orgasm! Angry

-------------
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"

Posted By: Yutolia
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 11:55pm
I wasn't aware that they were ever out of season. I hate them all year round!

-------------
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com

Posted By: ToxicShock
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 3:54am
I hate the Ralph Lauren "Romance" commercial with the song, "my romance doesn't need a thing but you."

I also hate the Antonio Banderas commercial. Is he the one singing the Dean Martin song "Sway". f**k him, desecrating that song!

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 3:57am
Don't forget Elizabeth Taylor.   I've seen that one lately too.

-------------

Posted By: Neil R
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 4:16am
The worst one I've seen is the smellum sold by Antonio Banderas where he sings the old song "Sway" in a really poor imitation of Dean Martin.
People can buy all the stinkoleum they want, but they shouldn't mess with the classics Smile especially Dino's

Posted By: GoMEAT85
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 4:38am
I like hearing the "Sway" song...I like every version of it. The Dean Martin, Sinatra, Michale Buble, whoever else is singing it, I just like it.

J'adore is very sexual. Makes me feel dirty in a way lol. And I don't think I'd want to strip and cut my hair off to look like a boy. That commercial doesn't really make sense to me. I was thinking, "She's a lesbian," when I saw it. I have nothing against lesbians, it just made me think that.

-------------

(I'm Chanél & I approve of this message.)

Posted By: FrauKruspe
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 1:47pm
What about all the celebrity fragrances out now? (As I am typing this a commercial for CK Euphoria with the woman feeling herself up is on..and don't forget the free box of chocolates!) I am so sick of seeing Mariah Carey getting it on with that dude. I don't really know exactly what goes on in that commercial cause I always look away, but I am tired of it. Then you have Hilary Duff and Britney Spears hawking their fragrances..

Posted By: badp
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 6:00pm
Larry the Cable guy needs a fragrance that smells like deer piss

Posted By: Neil R
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by badp badp wrote:

He'd get hit with copyright infringement!!

http://www.realdeer.com/ - http://www.realdeer.com/

Nose-clothespins not included Big%20smile

Posted By: barbie_girl
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 11:41pm
the Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds ad, always bugs me, i think its at least 25 years old. Have you seen Elizabeth Taylor lately?

Posted By: FaithSF
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 7:10am
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

LLLLLLLLLLLLL is for the way you LOOOOOOOOK at me.
OOOOOOOOhhhhh is for the only OOOOOOOne I see.

I'm not sure how it goes in the Chanel ad I'm referring to, but the lady singing it can't seem to get over her (fake) orgasm! Angry

What I hate about the singer is it sounds like she's in pain!  Get over yourself, woman!

Posted By: ToxicShock
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 11:12pm

Or trailer parks.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 12:05am
Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

Or trailer parks.

Or B.O., Beer and Cigarettes!!

LOL

-------------

Posted By: serialhag76
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 9:57pm
HA! If I want to smell like Britney, I'd go have stinky sex with a dozen strangers, drink a fifth of Old Crow, vomit in my hair, & pass out in a urine-soaked public restroom. When I wake up & see that I had soiled myself, VOILA! The enticing fragrance of Eau de Skank by Britney Spears.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by serialhag76 serialhag76 wrote:

HA! If I want to smell like Britney, I'd go have stinky sex with a dozen strangers, drink a fifth of Old Crow, vomit in my hair, & pass out in a urine-soaked public restroom. When I wake up & see that I had soiled myself, VOILA! The enticing fragrance of Eau de Skank by Britney Spears.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: FaithSF
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 2:21am

ClapClapClap

Posted By: Spicy_Meatball
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 4:22am

The enticing fragrance of Eau de Skank by Britney Spears.

Woah there!  Tongue  Not a fan of the woman at ALL.... but I wear her "Believe" eau de cologne and get compliments all the time.   Lovely scent.   Her fragrances are manufactured by Elizabeth Arden.   Wink

-------------
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad

Posted By: MFfan310
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 12:15am
Well, the perfume commercials are going to come back on the air any day now (or have they already). Here's some new odoriferous offenders from the men's fragrance segment:

Case In Point #4: Hugo Element

Great music (I'm sure the Bourne Trilogy fans will appreciate it), but a bunch of gibberish-speak to go with it. I know that they're selling a lifestyle product, but why would anybody want to buy cologne based on wacky talk?

Case In Point #5: Giorgio Armani Attitude Extreme

Is Armani trying to infer that their new fragrance is so powerful that it will blow your shirt off? If so, get ready for "the wardrobe malfunction of your life" at Dillard's once this product hits the shelves shortly. And we're not talking in the fitting rooms, either.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk