Print Page | Close Window

High Fructose Corn Propaganda

Printed From: Commercials I Hate!
Category: Commercials You Hate!
Forum Name: Television / Streaming Ads
Forum Description: You hate them. Tell us why.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2149
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: High Fructose Corn Propaganda
Posted By: cfif
Subject: High Fructose Corn Propaganda
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 2:05am

blech. propaganda....

Replies:
Posted By: CatWoman
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 2:19am
It rots your teeth, just like sugar!  It can make you gain weight, just like sugar!

-------------

Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 6:30am
Yep.  We know sugar and corn syrup rots your teeth, and causes weight gain and diabetes, yet so many people choose to worry more about the vague, unfounded, anecdotal sorts of concerns regarding artificial sweeteners like Splenda.

Diabetes won't kill me, but that scary monster in the closet will.

Posted By: FaithSF
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:25am
Absolutely!  High fructose corn syrup is such a HUGE part of America's obesity problem (no pun intended).  This is the crap they put into the cereals instead of sugar.  I'd rather have plain old sugar!

Posted By: Big Momma
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 1:45pm
I have been weeding out the HFC in my Family's diet and making lists of products that don't contain it, it's not easy, because, it's in things you would never think it would be.I'm learning about how much our food is tampared with, it's quite scary!

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:12pm
I've been badmouthing corn sweetener ever since I tried Mexican sodas hecho con sucra, years ago.  I noticed that, while their sweetness is over-the-top, it's also very clean.  Nowadays, I try to use Splenda and the like as much as possible, but it's difficult to avoid both sugar and corn sweetener sometimes.

Yesterday, I happily filled my veins with kids' birthday cake.  Don't know what they used, but it was gooooooood.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

I have been weeding out the HFC in my Family's diet and making lists of products that don't contain it, it's not easy, because, it's in things you would never think it would be.I'm learning about how much our food is tampared with, it's quite scary!

I swear I could be the spokesman for Torani syrups as much as I tout them.  But, if you add Torani flavorings to seltzer, you can have soda with your choice of either real sugar or Splenda.  They have a million flavors, too...from almond roca to kiwi to toasted marshmallow.  Sugar-free includes peppermint, peanut butter, raspberry, and many others.  Also good in milk.  Certainly makes skim milk very palatable.

Posted By: HollyRock
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:23pm
I found this stuff called Agave Nectar, at Ocean State Job Lot.  It claimes to have a low glycemic index.  Since I'm dabbling in nutrition these days, I bought some.  It's similar to honey except it comes from a plant and there are no bees involved.  It's mucht lighter and thinner than honey, though.  Actually. it's more like beige simple syrup.

Anyway - it's pretty good.  I've only used it in coffee,  and drizzled on whole grain flax pancakes.  So far.

-------------
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?

Posted By: kuribo
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 5:31pm
Wait, did they really do a commercial where a white lady admonishes a black woman for serving something that looks like Kool-Aid? I declare shenanigans!

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by kuribo kuribo wrote:

Wait, did they really do a commercial where a white lady admonishes a black woman for serving something that looks like Kool-Aid? I declare shenanigans!

Don't worry...the black woman puts the white woman in her place.  Phew.  That was a close call, I must admit.

Posted By: ToxicShock
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 2:10am
"It's safe, in moderation".

That doesn't immediately bring the word "safe" to mind...

Posted By: Skippy
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yep.  We know sugar and corn syrup rots your teeth, and causes weight gain and diabetes, yet so many people choose to worry more about the vague, unfounded, anecdotal sorts of concerns regarding artificial sweeteners like Splenda.

Diabetes won't kill me, but that scary monster in the closet will.

I've been hooked on splenda for the past year. The stuff is pretty pricey, but if you play the coupons and sales right, you can get it cheaper than regular sugar.

This commercial reminds me of the ones that the oil companies put out telling us how good they are for the environment.

Posted By: aleen
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 12:48pm
I'm amazed that they're allowed to get away with these commercials.  Ugh!

-------------
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

I've been hooked on splenda for the past year. The stuff is pretty pricey, but if you play the coupons and sales right, you can get it cheaper than regular sugar.

Check out WalMart's version.  Same stuff, but about 2/3 the price.  At least the big bag is (9 or 10 ounces maybe?).  I think it's called Altern.

Posted By: Yutolia
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:44pm
Hmmm, let me see, what IS wrong with HFCS?

- It's called fructose, but it's not the kind of fructose that you find naturally - it's a highly refined product, actually very similar to the products that we have already deemed "scary".

- It's been known to cause diabetes, rot teeth (both mentioned above), and cause fatty liver.

- It's forbidden from being used in formula. If it's so "safe", what are formula makers (who are companies, just like all the others) so afraid of?

-------------
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com

Posted By: jeroboam
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:48pm
How about the character's argument points.. "it's made from corn?"
"It's sweet as sugar?"

as I noted on the youtube comments,
I can think of other things made from corn. Let's see.  A lot of plastic, ethanol, xylitol.
What else is sweet?
I guess antifreeze is pretty good.
I have heard cyanide has a tangy, sweet almondy flavor

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 2:12pm
Other things the HFCS has been known to do:

It can lead to high blood pressure
It can raise triglycerides (fat in the blood stream)
It raises LDL (bad cholesterol)
As I mentioned before, it can lead to fatty liver (which is otherwise known as cirrhosis, which is a condition that used to be found mostly in people that had been alcoholics for years).
It is made of both glucose and fructose, so it simultaneously overloads the liver while elevating blood sugar.

While the woman says, "It's safe in moderation," there is no such thing as moderation with this thing. It is in basically every processed food - whether it's sweet or not. Many people eat stuff without looking at ingredients lists, and they don't realize that they may be getting well over a hundred percent of the daily serving of HFCS.

Therefore, always read the ingredients!Clap

-------------
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com

Posted By: SokMunkie
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

"It's safe, in moderation".

Yeah, so is booze. LOL

I saw this the first time last night.

Posted By: Hezadancer
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 7:34pm
I saw 2 different HFCS propaganda commercials yesterday, within about 10 minutes of each other. I'm sorry, this country has a huge problem with the corn lobby, and what with corn ethynol being touted as the new savior I'm SICK of feeding the corn lobby, corn does NOT need to be in everything. I try to avoid HFCS whenever possible, where do they get off saying its made from corn so therefor its safe. IT ISN'T SUGAR and neither is Splenda. If I can have the real thing I want the real thing, not a substitute.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I saw 2 different HFCS propaganda commercials yesterday, within about 10 minutes of each other. I'm sorry, this country has a huge problem with the corn lobby, and what with corn ethynol being touted as the new savior I'm SICK of feeding the corn lobby, corn does NOT need to be in everything. I try to avoid HFCS whenever possible, where do they get off saying its made from corn so therefor its safe. IT ISN'T SUGAR and neither is Splenda. If I can have the real thing I want the real thing, not a substitute.

You might change your mind if/when you develop diabetes or your first weight problem.

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 10:21pm
Anyone ever hear of Stevia aka "sugar leaf" or "sweet leaf"?

A friend of mine uses it.

Available everywhere.

According to this Wiki, it's extracts are up to 300 times sweeter than sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

-------------
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States

Posted By: kat
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 11:13pm
Do you know what high fructose corn syrup does to you?

No but it's delicious.

Seriously, though, I don't think high fructose corn syrup can be blamed for obesity. We all eat high fructose corn syrup, it's in freaking everything. Yet not all of us are fat. Some of us just have a genetic predisposition, or don't exercise, or eat too much of the "bad" foods. I don't think it's fair to ruin it for everyone.

I KNOW that there's tons of people who can't control their body's predisposition to weight gain, but...I know I sound like really mean by saying this, but it's not food companies' job to look out for each and every one of us.

-------------
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 11:23pm
Hi Kat!  Good to see you!

I don't share your affection for HFCS, but it occurred to me that the only way you "know" soda, and many other super-sweet things, is the HFCS version.  That's probably been the norm, your whole life.

When they used to use real cane sugar, coca cola was better. 

If you can find some in the grocery store (supposedly the kosher version has "real" sugar) you may be able to taste the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by kat kat wrote:

Do you know what high fructose corn syrup does to you?

No but it's delicious.

Seriously, though, I don't think high fructose corn syrup can be blamed for obesity. We all eat high fructose corn syrup, it's in freaking everything. Yet not all of us are fat. Some of us just have a genetic predisposition, or don't exercise, or eat too much of the "bad" foods. I don't think it's fair to ruin it for everyone.

I KNOW that there's tons of people who can't control their body's predisposition to weight gain, but...I know I sound like really mean by saying this, but it's not food companies' job to look out for each and every one of us.

I think you're right at least about some people's predisposition toward weight gain.

Americans eat too much crap & don't get enough exercise.

Hard to blame us for the fattening foods we eat because they're everywhere & the companies that sell it make it cheap & plentiful with the advertisements there to make it look sooooooo enticing. Tongue

Plus, it's just so much easier than cooking all the time.

Also, lot of the "obesity epidemic" is just the result of aging. Once you pass the age of 30 your metabolism begins to slow down drastically along with your energy level. By that time, you're more likely to have established a career which often times requires long hours & by the time you get home at 7 or 8 in the evening after being there since 6 or 7 that morning, the last thing you feel like doing is going for a brisk jog or hitting the gym.

By the time you reach 40, you can forget about losing weight. Unless you're naturally thin, you can expect to start noticing your waistline along with everything else start to get bigger & no amount of starvation or self-control is going to make a big difference. The amount of exercise that used to result in weight loss no longer results in anything except tiredness & sore muscles & joints.

After 50 stick a fork in it, you're all done. All you can do now is try to eat as healthy as possible, try not to smoke, get whatever exercise you can by walking, bike riding or working in the yard (which you are more likely to have one of by that age), take vitamins & supplements & just try to maintain a decent overall level of cardio-vascular health even though on the outside you might still be a little on the tubby side.

By that point, you stopped giving a crap about staying thin a long time ago.

But hey..... you just keep on looking forward to the future!!!! LOL

-------------
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 12:11am

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

You might change your mind if/when you develop diabetes or your first weight problem.

Hence the " If I can have the real thing". If I can't due to disease or weight that could be another story.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 1:05am

It's the government's job.  Well, it's becoming that way, anyway.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

After 50 stick a fork in it, you're all done. All you can do now is try to eat as healthy as possible, try not to smoke, get whatever exercise you can by walking, bike riding or working in the yard (which you are more likely to have one of by that age), take vitamins & supplements & just try to maintain a decent overall level of cardio-vascular health even though on the outside you might still be a little on the tubby side.

It can be done.  Feb 2007, I weighed 210.  Today, 178.  Hopefully, in a few months, I'll be down to where I want to be---at around 170.

But, you're right in that it is much more difficult.  I lost 40 lbs in college when I was 18, in a space of 1-2 months, via a starvation diet.  I ate broth and crackers only during that period.  'Cept when I was at the folks' house on weekends.  They made me eat normally.

Posted By: Hootman
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 1:15am
I don't know, we ate products with sugar years ago, but there just seems to be more of an overweight epidemic with HFCS.  I will not buy anything with HFCS listed as an ingredient. 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 2:20am
It's hard to avoid it sometimes.  I drink a lot of apple juice, but either dilute it with water as much as possible or buy the diet version (which I also dilute, as it tends to be too sweet).

I drank a "lime-raspberry fruit squeeze" today.  It was 13% juice, and even that was apple and grape.  The lime and raspberry juice was listed in the ingredients right after "Blue #1".  LOL

Posted By: Lurker87
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 6:03am
For some reason, as soon as I saw the one with the woman and the man out on a picnic, the first thing that came to my mind was a sort of sarcastic "It's Adam and Eve all over again!! Don't let her charm you!!".  Feels more like they are portraying that woman as bringing evil upon her man!   Don't read too much into that. It was just the first connection I made in my mind.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 7:37am
I read the label for Yoplait the other day.  IT HAS HFCS in it!  Now I won't eat it.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 2:40pm

I did not know that yoplait has HFCS.  Angry

Dannon light-n-fit is much better, but it has Splenda (if you object to that).

It's easy and possibly healthiest to buy plain nonfat yogurt and add your own stuff to it.  I'll do that, if I can't get light-n-fit. 

Spicy Meatball, at one point, suggested sweetening yogurt with maple syrup.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 2:49pm
I'll buy vanilla yogurt on occasion and sweeten it even further than it already is with a little bit of pear juice, blueberries, bananas, or even chocolate flavoring.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 6:23pm
I really don't like the taste of yogurt; it tastes like sour cream.  I can tolerate the regular Yoplait (not non-fat), and only the strawberry or strawberry/banana.  Other than Yoplait, I don't like the consistency of yogurt in general.

Posted By: dizrythmia
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 12:32am
I totally agree that these commercials are annoying. It does have some truth in that I'm sure there's people out there who think HFCS is evil but don't know why, but the reasoning from the other person pushing the HFCS stuff is hilarious. Never mind how it can be classified as a natural product when it doesn't occur in nature at all.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 1:23am

I lost 40 lbs in college when I was 18, in a space of 1-2 months, via a starvation diet.  I ate broth and crackers only during that period.  'Cept when I was at the folks' house on weekends.  They made me eat normally.

I had a very similar experience when I was in college.

I went from around 210-215 down to 155 in about 3 months or so. I was working at a physically demanding job & only ate a fried egg & a slice of cheese on one slice of toast for breakfast, dry-roasted peanuts & orange juice for lunch & nibbled a little on this or that for dinner.

I still went out drinking beer a few times a week, though. But I started drinking Miller Lite, so that must've made a difference.

After I got down to 155 everyone was telling me I'd gone too far & had gotten too skinny (I'm around 6'-3") & they were right. My skin was a little loose on me, so I slowly started to eat a little more normally & soon was back up to 165, then 170-175 where I stayed for the next couple of years or so.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Posted By: PaWolf
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 2:04am
I've hovered between 170 and 220 for the last 25 years...much attributible to what Jimbo has said here and before; and really, at 50 - do WHATEVER you can - but, should you lose hope - stick a fork it it - you're done.
EVERY DAY - 5 A.M. - 5 miles on the 10-speed is a start. Good for the heart; doesn't get rid of the gut.
We hate sit-ups; we drive NOWHERE.
And Molson's Ice has a dedicated destination, in the evening (in my case...not a good thing)... 

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:15am
I'd gotten down to 140, but quickly went up to 150, where I stayed for several years before settling at 163 for probably 10 years.  By my 30's, I was at 171, but that was OK, as people's bones don't finish "growing" until the age of 30 or so.  And that's my goal right now.  It's taken me a long time to get down from 210 to 180, but the upside is that my changed eating habits are ones I've found to be more and more ingrained at this point.  I rarely even think about eating the way I used to.  And it's not that I suddenly cut lots of things out of my diet.  I did it one food at a time, starting with cereal.  Some people can limit themselves or eat healthy cereal.  Not me.  I had to cut it out entirely, such that I'm never even in the cereal aisle of the supermarket.  There woulda been too much temptation aka Corn Pops there.

Same with drugs.  They're so far behind me, that I now think of them as something that other people do.

I wish I had the same attitude towards cigarettes.  But at least I know that when I do quit, like food and drugs, smoking will eventually just become something that "other people" do.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:20am

After I got down to 155 everyone was telling me I'd gone too far & had gotten too skinny (I'm around 6'-3") & they were right. My skin was a little loose on me, so I slowly started to eat a little more normally & soon was back up to 165, then 170-175 where I stayed for the next couple of years or so.

Yeah.  It is.  Hell, I'm 5'8", and 155 would be too skinny for me at this point.  I never particularly wanted to be thin.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:30am

Same with drugs.  They're so far behind me, that I now think of them as something that other people do. 
I wish I had the same attitude towards cigarettes.  But at least I know that when I do quit, like food and drugs, smoking will eventually just become something that "other people" do.
Yea, o.k..., RIGHT!, My Friend!
Don't know about you - but, at our age, I think...well, we both  smoked some cigarettes (to say the LEAST), had a coctail or two (only for me - TO SAY THE LEAST), and, in regard to anything else contributing to physical and/or mental appearance, or capabilities, of either of us...I find no productive reason to comment any further...(uh....))

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:32am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

and really, at 50 - do WHATEVER you can - but, should you lose hope - stick a fork it it - you're done.
EVERY DAY - 5 A.M. - 5 miles on the 10-speed is a start. Good for the heart; doesn't get rid of the gut.

But it does, Pa.  They say that a little bit of exercise jump starts your metabolism for the day.  So does eating breakfast.  Until you eat, your metabolism is in sort of a shut-down mode; it wants to retain calories.  I guess exercise and eating something are both good.  But you should at least do one.  Biking, walking, yard work---all good.  It doesn't have to be sit-ups.

Yeah, you have to realize it can still be done.  2 lbs loss per month, as is my case, has translated to 30 lbs in a year and a half.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:34am

and really, at 50 - do WHATEVER you can - but, should you lose hope - stick a fork it it - you're done.

But it does, Pa.  They say that a little bit of exercise jump starts your metabolism for the day.  So does eating breakfast.  Until you eat, your metabolism is in sort of a shut-down mode; it wants to retain calories.  I guess exercise and eating something are both good.  But you should at least do one.  Biking, walking, yard work---all good.  It doesn't have to be sit-ups.

...uh, Bubba? My point was that I DO THIS - FOR A START - in fact, slappin' on the NB's right now - time to go close MissyD's store...

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:39am
I was responding to your belief that it doesn't get rid of the gut.  It does!  It helps your metabolism get going, and when your metabolism gets going, you burn calories and get rid of fat...that is, unless you exercise mainly so that you can justify eating more---as in "I biked 5 miles, so now I can eat a cheeseburger, french fries, and a milkshake."

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:57am
...ya mean, you CAN'T?!LOLFUC&!!!! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME???!!!!

Posted By: ToxicShock
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 7:21pm
People should consult their doctors before trying any diet or exercise program. What's good for one person isn't good for everyone.

Being in good health is all that matters. There are plenty of people who are thin and unhealthy, out of shape. Weight doesn't always matter.

Posted By: ForumAdmin
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 9:45pm

I don't think high fructose corn syrup can be blamed for obesity. We all eat high fructose corn syrup, it's in freaking everything. Yet not all of us are fat.

You're 15. Give it time.

HFCS makes you fat. Fast.
And we do not all eat it. It is not in everything.
I avoid it like the plague that it is.
You should avoid it, too!

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by ForumAdmin ForumAdmin wrote:

I don't think high fructose corn syrup can be blamed for obesity. We all eat high fructose corn syrup, it's in freaking everything. Yet not all of us are fat.

You're 15. Give it time.

HFCS makes you fat. Fast.
And we do not all eat it. It is not in everything.
I avoid it like the plague that it is.
You should avoid it, too!
I totally agree. It's not in everything - in fact, it's not in anything that occurs naturally including corn! It's synthesized from corn, but corn does not inherently have this stuff in it. The major problem with this stuff is the fact that it seriously fools our systems, which isn't a good thing. Basically, the reason we have taste buds is so that our digestive systems get a preliminary signal as to what kind of food is coming and what to do with it. So, when we eat something like a banana our bodies know that we are going to be ingesting something that contains sugar, and thus prepares itself. One of the major problems is that HFCS is now being added to lots of things that aren't sweet tasting. It's added to things like corn chex and beef jerky (even the "plain" variety) so it digested correctly, which is what causes a lot of our problems (this goes for pretty much all of the other additives, too).

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 12:36am
Originally posted by ForumAdmin ForumAdmin wrote:

You're 15. Give it time. HFCS makes you fat. Fast. And we do not all eat it. It is not in everything. I avoid it like the plague that it is. You should avoid it, too!

That's why I put Splenda in everything. I remember when I was 15, I wanted to gain weight. I'm somewhere around 175-180 now.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 12:43am

17 miles on the bike 4-5 times a week doesn't seem  to do much either, along with several hundred situps. I don't really have much to work off, I just want to get rid of what I have.

I am probably in the best cardiovascular shape I've been in since high school. It feels good when you are in shape- I can sleep better at night, I have more energy to do stuff at home, and my stress level is lower.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

17 miles on the bike 4-5 times a week doesn't seem  to do much either, along with several hundred situps...
That's one healthy regimine, Skibby! Be careful!, O.K.?!
I don't know about you, but now and then, I have days where feel good after the morning effort, then am somewhat dizzy, lightheaded, and slightly exhausted for the entire day.
I'm thinking I might have found 'a limit'.
Everything else you mentioned is all too true; we both are almost always up about 4:45 A.M.; eat a somewhat healthy breakfast - usually fruit, one soft-boiled egg each, and two cups of coffee, juice, and assorted vitamins, fish oils and a few treats heavy in Omega-3 fatty-acids...and at least two 8-oz. glasses of ice water.
I'd like to believe we are both quite mentally-sharp - for about half of a day. 
MissyD doesn't ride as far as me; she's trying, but she's been dosing heavy on glucosamine for a few months - its starting to show; it IS making a positive difference.
Really, we are very conscious of what we eat - and exercise is CRITICAL!
I think though, everything in moderation...

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 3:13am
Wow - I thought that glucosamine was a bunch of BS.....I may try it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 3:30am
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

It is certainly worth looking into, from our perspective.
I've kept her on a steady diet of it since she was diagnosed with http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=BvF__-brRSPDwMoXiee3-tIwP5r-EVrKQmtEF8rbjBOCCSAgAEAEYATgAUPf3yKf9_____wFgyZ64i8CkjBDIAQHIAraA1wHZA49bSRTlsp1Y&sig=AGiWqtx-w__hOueP1Xistl-9xFgBbq_fog&q=http://clk.atdmt.com/IFR/go/gglxxenb0100004635ifr/direct/01/ - Rheumatoid Arthritis , some years ago (yes, plenty of advance doctor discussions). Both knees, shoulders, and elbows. Two trips to the ER were enough for me to reach for ANYTHING I can find.  My mother has OsteoArthritis (quite different), and it REALLY has worked for her - and she's pushing 90. She suggested looking into it - the doctors haven't had tons of answers, but saw little harm in trying...in MissyD's case, it has been a 'GodSend'. She works regularly, now - she has NONE of the pain she had a few years ago...and she is more flexible.
Mind you, it is NOT always recommended...
http://www.allaboutarthritis.com/AllAboutArthritis/layoutTemplates/html/en/contentdisplay/document/condition/arthritis/generalArticle/Glucosamine_not_for_RA.htm - http://www.allaboutarthritis.com/AllAboutArthritis/layoutTemplates/html/en/contentdisplay/document/condition/arthritis/generalArticle/Glucosamine_not_for_RA.htm

Posted By: belc0011
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 2:56am
Originally posted by kuribo kuribo wrote:

lol

-------------
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:17am

Take out a loan.

Or a second mortgage.

That crap is expensive!!!!

A friend of mine used to take plain gelatin, I think.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Posted By: weareribbons
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 8:36am
The funniest aspect of this for me is near the end of the ad where they throw in a graphic of an ear of corn down at the bottom.

"Wow, I guess I forgot what corn looked like. It's seems so non-threatening, so pure. You had me at hello."

Tricky tricky.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 11:15am

Take out a loan.

Or a second mortgage.

That crap is expensive!!!!

A friend of mine used to take plain gelatin, I think.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the price yet....

A friend of mine uses flaxseed oil or olive oil.  By the spoonfuls.

I find exercise the best, even though I may have to exercise in spurts.

-------------

Posted By: DTXBrian
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 11:58pm
Sugar is sugar is sugar.  It's all either monosaccharides (glucose, fructose, galactose, xylose, or ribose) or disaccharides (sucrose or lactose among others) which are composed of a pairing of monosaccharides...

Sucrose is a pairing of fructose and glucose.  Corn syrup, from which HFCS is made, is 100% glucose.  Humans can't taste glucose as very sweet, so plain corn syrup is sort of useless as a flavoring.  Using an enzyme, a certain ratio of the glucose is converted to fructose to make it sweeter.  Most HFCS is approximately a 50/50 blend of the two syrups.

The difference is, sucrose is chemically one molecule, created by the covalent merge of glucose and fructose, whereas HFCS is chemically a mixture of independent glucose and fructose molecules.  The importance of this is in the regulation of blood sugar.  With sucrose, sucrase (an enzyme) is used to break down the molecule into glucose and fructose, whereupon the body can digest the sugar, and control the amount of glucose present.  With HFCS, the body can't control the amount of glucose which is digested, which requires the body rely solely upon insulin to moderate blood sugar.

When the body pumps tons of insulin regularly into the blood stream, eventually it become desensitized to the insulin, hence adult onset diabetes.  It's not an inability of the body to produce insulin, it's just the body failing to respond to insulin.

For the record, there are people who are sucrose intolerant (cannot produce sucrase, the enzyme required for sucrose digestion), similar to people who are lactose intolerant (cannot produce lactase, the enzyme required for lactose digestion), and for these people, HFCS is actually a very helpful food addition... it's a similar comparison to Lact-Aid milk, which has had lactase added to break the lactose down to glucose and galactose.

So, long first writeup, yes... but the ultimate reality is that HFCS is in no way poisonous or toxic, nor dangerous in moderation.  The trouble with HFCS is that, in excess, it results in grossly inflated blood sugar which can exacerbate adult onset diabetes.  The commercial is, in every way, correct.

Any questions, feel free to message me.

OH!  And as far as people saying that it doesn't occur naturally in anything?  Think again.  Fructose is produced in plants naturally.  Glucose is produced in animals naturally.  HFCS is pretty much just taking the two and mixing them together.  A fair analogy would be saying that chocolate maple syrup doesn't occur naturally.  Perhaps it doesn't, but mixing chocolate and maple syrup doesn't exactly make them unnatural products...

People need to stop being afraid and ignorant.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 10:14am
Originally posted by DTXBrian DTXBrian wrote:

So, long first writeup, yes... but the ultimate reality is that HFCS is in no way poisonous or toxic, nor dangerous in moderation.  The trouble with HFCS is that, in excess, it results in grossly inflated blood sugar which can exacerbate adult onset diabetes.  The commercial is, in every way, correct.

In moderation, perhaps.  But it's in so many products you wouldn't even THINK about it being in, that you end up having it much more than "moderately." 

I'm not afraid of becoming diabetic anymore--I am diabetic.  I'm now afraid of eventually becoming blind and/or having limbs amputated.  But, hey, thanks for the explanation and the condescension.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 4:40pm
Carbohydrates convert into sugar, too.  I'm not sure if that's as bad as HFCS or other sugar, but I know that my diabetic bro has to watch his spaghetti intake.  That would suck.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 5:07pm

Welcome, DTXBrian - thanks for the write-up.

You are a Sales Manager? The 'Inquiring Mindless' need to know...WHAT do you sell?

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 6:46pm

OH!  And as far as people saying that it doesn't occur naturally in anything?  Think again.  Fructose is produced in plants naturally.  Glucose is produced in animals naturally.  HFCS is pretty much just taking the two and mixing them together.  A fair analogy would be saying that chocolate maple syrup doesn't occur naturally.  Perhaps it doesn't, but mixing chocolate and maple syrup doesn't exactly make them unnatural products...

I believe that this comment is directed at me.

I realize that fructose is naturally occurring - I apologize if I was unclear or misspoke. I know that fructose is present in things like fruit. However, that being said, just because something is natural doesn't mean that it is good for us. Remember, mercury and lead are natural, too.

Also, just because something comes from something naturally occurring does not mean that it in itself is natural or healthy. Technically, everything that exists originally came from something "natural" - for example, plastics at one point came from something that exists in nature, but it can in no way in its current form be considered "natural". The same goes for prescription drugs.

I don't have my biochem textbook here with me, so I will be back later with more.

-------------

Posted By: kartek
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 10:27pm
fructose natural or unatural?  Does it really make a difference!??  It is an additive, one amoung many occuring in all processed Foods!  How many of the chemicals etc are okay in Moderation....  when mixed all together what's the verdict... let see 5 chemicals all safe in moderation, mixed together... and the grand results are.... a booming medical machine, a money drain... and convience....    

People find a farmer, get good wholesome food, turn off the t.v. and Computers.  Learn to cook (ah the shame, it takes sometimes more than 15 minuate and pushing the buttons on the microwave).  

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by kartek kartek wrote:

fructose natural or unatural?  Does it really make a difference!??  It is an additive, one amoung many occuring in all processed Foods!  How many of the chemicals etc are okay in Moderation....  when mixed all together what's the verdict... let see 5 chemicals all safe in moderation, mixed together... and the grand results are.... a booming medical machine, a money drain... and convience....    

People find a farmer, get good wholesome food, turn off the t.v. and Computers.  Learn to cook (ah the shame, it takes sometimes more than 15 minuate and pushing the buttons on the microwave).

Thumbs%20UpClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 11:04pm

Welcome, DTXBrian - thanks for the write-up.

You are a Sales Manager? The 'Inquiring Mindless' need to know...WHAT do you sell?

I guess I'm one of the 'Inquiring Mindless', because I sure wanna know! LOLBig%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 1:00am
Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

I guess I'm one of the 'Inquiring Mindless', because I sure wanna know! LOLBig%20smile
Yes'm! Hop on the train, per se...WHAT was that all about?!!!
Brian from Dallas...help us, Pleeeeeauuuzzzzz.....
Are YOU a scientist - or, well, am I?

(...and, well...yes - I am, but only from a compputter-thingy-perspective)

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 1:12am

CW, ol' Frien'...I'll SWEAR by glucosamine!!! And I KNOW Jimbo is right,  when one looks at the 'high quality' stuff...but, Dollar Tree sells bottles (yes, at $1) that are 500 mg/pill. 4 pills a day, over 30 days - most folk see a difference, from what *I* have seen.
Granted; I did indeed c atch a local drug store going out of business....bought three months of their supply at 10% list price.
I do not know SHI^ about 'cheaper medicines' (oh, gosh I wish I did!!!); I really wish I knew what good the cheap stuff did a person....I bet it was good.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 2:58am

Thanks for the info some guy we'll probably never hear from again unless its to praise all mighty corn sweetener. Marijuana and opium occur naturally, but they still aren't legal (or particularly safe). If you do come back, answer me this: Why can't we just use sugar? Corn lobby got your tongue? Screw the sugar tariff, I'd gladly pay more for sugar any day.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:18am

Sugar is sugar is sugar.  It's all either monosaccharides (glucose, fructose, galactose, xylose, or ribose) or disaccharides (sucrose or lactose among others) which are composed of a pairing of monosaccharides...

Sucrose is a pairing of fructose and glucose.  Corn syrup, from which HFCS is made, is 100% glucose.  Humans can't taste glucose as very sweet, so plain corn syrup is sort of useless as a flavoring.  Using an enzyme, a certain ratio of the glucose is converted to fructose to make it sweeter.  Most HFCS is approximately a 50/50 blend of the two syrups.

The difference is, sucrose is chemically one molecule, created by the covalent merge of glucose and fructose, whereas HFCS is chemically a mixture of independent glucose and fructose molecules.  The importance of this is in the regulation of blood sugar.  With sucrose, sucrase (an enzyme) is used to break down the molecule into glucose and fructose, whereupon the body can digest the sugar, and control the amount of glucose present.  With HFCS, the body can't control the amount of glucose which is digested, which requires the body rely solely upon insulin to moderate blood sugar.

When the body pumps tons of insulin regularly into the blood stream, eventually it become desensitized to the insulin, hence adult onset diabetes.  It's not an inability of the body to produce insulin, it's just the body failing to respond to insulin.

For the record, there are people who are sucrose intolerant (cannot produce sucrase, the enzyme required for sucrose digestion), similar to people who are lactose intolerant (cannot produce lactase, the enzyme required for lactose digestion), and for these people, HFCS is actually a very helpful food addition... it's a similar comparison to Lact-Aid milk, which has had lactase added to break the lactose down to glucose and galactose.

Any questions, feel free to message me.

Well, well, well..... looks like someone from the sugar industry stumbled onto our little forum & read our derogatory comments & opinions about HFCS, then contacted someone in upper management who contacted someone in public relations who contacted someone in product testing & development who got ahold of one of the staff chemists & instructed him go online, register here as a new user, find this thread & set us straight about a certain product that they just happen to produce & sell.

Very informative, though. Of course, you never know exactly how much of what you hear out of industry representatives is actually true & how much is corporate spun propaganda.

Kinda like the tobacco industry saying that tar & nicotine aren't proven to be harmful.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:40am
Yeah, I can't imagine why someone who has no problem with HFCS would be looking for threads in random sites about HFCS, and joining the site to make one informative sort of post----UNLESS HE'S A SPYYYYYYYYY!!

Well, we'll see if he posts further and about other commercials.  Somehow, I doubt it.  Besides, I kinda like the idea that some corporate rep might be trying to infiltrate our ranks in order to lure us back to HFCS.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:56am
He kinda had me going until that last remark about fear & ignorance.

That gave him away right there.

Only a paid corporate shill would get that defensive over something like HFCS unless it was the stuff that's responsible for him being able to make his mortgage & car payments every month.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Posted By: shebazz
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 5:42am
I dunno, his post kinda scared me more than the previous ones, with all those big words. I mean, sucrose and glucose and fructose - his explanation of the physiological systems in my body so confused me that I'm now going to continue eating HFCS.

Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

I read the label for Yoplait the other day.  IT HAS HFCS in it!  Now I won't eat it.

Funny, I was just reading the empty yoplait container on my desk, and, sure enough, HFCS. So I went to the fridge to eat some store bought potato salad. Sure enough, HFCS in the mayo.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 5:47am
I just don't think it tastes as good as sugar.  Or even Splenda.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by shebazz shebazz wrote:

I dunno, his post kinda scared me more than the previous ones, with all those big words. I mean, sucrose and glucose and fructose - his explanation of the physiological systems in my body so confused me that I'm now going to continue eating HFCS.

Funny, I was just reading the empty yoplait container on my desk, and, sure enough, HFCS. So I went to the fridge to eat some store bought potato salad. Sure enough, HFCS in the mayo.

It's in the MAYO?!  Why do we need a sweetener in Mayo?

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:29pm
Where's DTXBrian? If one can say so very much so eloquently, where are they once challenged or questioned? C'mon 'ad-man'!

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:53pm

It's in the MAYO?!  Why do we need a sweetener in Mayo?

Usually if something like Mayo or any dairy products are 'low-fat' they substitute fat with sugar, or more recently, HFCS.Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:55pm
Kinda like the jugs of OJ made from concentrate... wouldn't it be easier just to leave it as it was? Why concentrate and then de-concentrate things?

Posted By: Banquo
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 11:40pm

Kinda like the jugs of OJ made from concentrate... wouldn't it be easier just to leave it as it was? Why concentrate and then de-concentrate things?

Money. When they remove the water it dramatically reduces the weight and volume of what they have to ship, which means big savings for the companies (but a crappy inferior product for the consumers).

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:09am
Okay, to address why I haven't replied to criticisms, it's only been a couple of days, I don't linger here, I'm not a "troll", nor do I work in the sweetener industry.

I'm a sales manager at a finance company, to those who expressed interest, snide or otherwise.

FaithSF, of course people should be careful when eating processed sugars.  They're highly caloric, and downright dangerous to people who are diabetic.  My intent was not to say that they were healthy for people to eat, but no less healthy for a person to eat in moderation than granulated white sugar.  That scenario changes slightly for those with diabetes, but it's still not the toxic plague that some have made it out to be.  I apologize for the condescention.

Yutolia-- your comment was the one that set me off, yes, and at whom that particular backlash was directed, but I've seen the argument made dozens of times before, and really, I'm just unloading against the argument.  I don't mean for it to be a personal attack, thus my decision to not post your name and a quotation of what you said.  To address your replies, my brother died from a heroin overdose.  Heroin is "natural."  I'm very much aware of the dangers of things which are "natural."  As I said to FaithSF above, my intent wasn't so much to say that HFCS was healthy, merely to point out that it's no more dangerous in moderation than granulated table sugar, and in fact is processed no more severely to achieve a final product than said table sugar.  (Actually, lime is added to the raw sugarcane to help produce clearer sugar, and lime is FAR more toxic than any constituent product added to corn syrup to raise its fructose level.)  It doesn't posess any traits of toxicity, contrary to what many people would have us believe.  If it is dangerous, it is only because we as Americans tend to eat too much of everything, all together.

Kartek-- processed sugar is an addition to processed food.  Doesn't matter if it's table sugar or HFCS, your point is invalid.  Be very well aware - FOOD is healthy in moderation, unhealthy in excess.  Perhaps that is the stumbling block we trip over.  We don't eat too much BAD food, merely too much food in general.

Hezadancer-- what corn lobby?  I don't have any dealings with any agricultural business of any sort.  I have not received funds, stock, free goods and/or services, or anything from ANY sector of the agricultural industry, so stop making assertions of that sort.  Why don't we, as a society, use more sugar?  You already answered it, despite your unwillingness to concede the point.  It's a matter of cost.  Manufacturers are wanting to make as much money as possible, which means producing the least expensive good possible.  If you want real sugar in things, lobby the manufacturers.  That's up to you.

Jimbo-- as I've repeatedly asserted, I don't work for any industry which is related in any way to the agricultural industry.  Nor, as I'm sure you'd suggest if I don't address it now, do I work for any industry which makes a profit off of people being overweight and/or diabetic, so stop assuming that I have a hidden agenda.  I didn't seek out this forum entry, rather I was looking up an entirely different commercial when I ran across this.  If you want to verify the information that I gave you, print it off and hand it to a dietician.

Thorr-- not a spy, just tired of people thinking that HFCS is some conspiratorial plan to poison America.

PaWolf-- I'll probably come visit this every few days or so.  I'm not likely to make a lot of posts about random commercials, as I don't really watch TV very often, but maybe.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Banquo Banquo wrote:

Money. When they remove the water it dramatically reduces the weight and volume of what they have to ship, which means big savings for the companies (but a crappy inferior product for the consumers).

Yeah, hence the good stuff is more expensive. Even as a poor college student, though, I'm willing to pay an extra buck or two for real OJ. It tastes much less like Tang and more like...oranges.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:21am
Uh, DTXBrian, can you take some time from your schedule and help the current financial situation?  HFCS is the least of our problems  right now.  

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:26am
Hootman... as an employee for a subsidiary of AIG, believe me... I'm anxious myself.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:37am
Oh boy.

Posted By: kartek
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 2:17am

Much of the problem lies in the fact that there are segments of our society that seldom by design eat any thing that isn't processed food stuff!   I find it hard to believe the combinations of all those Chemicals is A huge contribiting factor to obesity and a host of other maladies!   WE won't even touch off on the additives used to induce hunger!

Americans need to learn to cook for themselves,  get fresh foods and meats and it is possible for them to do so almost anywhere they live. 

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 2:17am
Maybe we could spend $700 billion on OJ transportation. No more concentrate!

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 2:38am

Not with my tax dollars you don't!  (I've got my own orange tree. )

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 2:39am

Jimbo-- as I've repeatedly asserted, I don't work for any industry which is related in any way to the agricultural industry.  Nor, as I'm sure you'd suggest if I don't address it now, do I work for any industry which makes a profit off of people being overweight and/or diabetic, so stop assuming that I have a hidden agenda.  I didn't seek out this forum entry, rather I was looking up an entirely different commercial when I ran across this.  If you want to verify the information that I gave you, print it off and hand it to a dietician.

I was just fuckin with ya.

I actually found your explanation to be extremely coherent & well written plus I agree with you 100% on what you said about moderation.

I used to drink a 2 litre bottle of Coke a day. Then I completely cut it out for a long period of time.

Now I'll buy a bottle on the weekend every once in a while.

I think most of the replies you got were just us screwin around with a newbie.

Although, we have in the past gotten industry representaves here who've shilled for their product & left in a huff when we ganged up them. LOL

We're actually a pretty mild & genteel bunch here.

Except for when it comes to politics.

Maybe you & I will fight someday. Big%20smile

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 2:46am
Originally posted by kartek kartek wrote:

Americans need to learn to cook for themselves,  get fresh foods and meats and it is possible for them to do so almost anywhere they live. 

I like to cook myself, and just today had fresh corn, sweet potatoes and green beans out of the garden.

Though I'll admit I often partake in frozen microwave offerings too. I mean who can turn down a pepperoni hot pocket or a good burrito now and then. LOL

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 4:11am
Hot Pockets are disgusting.

I buy them whenever they're on sale. LOL

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 6:56am

Though I'll admit I often partake in frozen microwave offerings too. I mean who can turn down a pepperoni hot pocket or a good burrito now and then. LOL

Michelina's Wheels N' Cheese is my beloved microwave lunch when I work. I was pissed when that particular dish jumped to around $1.48 from the normal $1.00 Michelina's usually are. I still bought it though, it's just that good

I'll have to look and see if it has any HFCS in it LOL

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:09am

I like to cook myself,...

Shocked

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:40pm

I like to cook myself,...

Shocked

I'll bet it's rare.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:49pm
Oh you know what I meant! LOL

Moss: It wasn't a cookery class at all...

Jen: What was it?

Moss: He wrote it down wrong because his English isn't very good. And it turns out, he didn't want to teach me how to cook, he wanted to cook me...

Jen: What?

Moss: He wanted to eat me...i know...egg and my face, were in alignment...

Jen: He wanted to eat you?

Roy: Oh, is he one of those German cannibals...

Moss: He is, and he was such a nice man...

Roy: Was he?

Moss: Yes, he was a fine young cannibal...

Jen: Hang on, hang on, he wanted to eat you?

Moss: Yup, keep up Jen...so, we had a laugh about it but in the end, I didn't really feel like being eaten so we just watched Ocean's Eleven.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:38pm

Not with my tax dollars you don't!  (I've got my own orange tree. )

Nono, see, we'll buy up oranges that no one else wants. The kind the company had no business growing in the first place. Then, we'll sell them and somehow make a profit. It won't cost taxpayers a dime, and they'll probably make money! If we don't do this, the entire orange market may just collapse on itself and we'll all be sent into the dark pits of hell.

Ok, MAYBE I was speaking metaphorically for another boneheaded idea...

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 12:26am

Nono, see, we'll buy up oranges that no one else wants. The kind the company had no business growing in the first place. Then, we'll sell them and somehow make a profit. It won't cost taxpayers a dime, and they'll probably make money!

Ok, MAYBE I was speaking metaphorically for another boneheaded idea...

You should talk to Milo Minderbinder.

If anyone can figure out how to do that deal & make a profit, it's him.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 12:59am
So this is way above my pay-grade, but as I work vaguely in the industry... I'll see if I can clarify some of the events over the past week or two.

First, AIG... AIG has assets totaling well over $1 trillion.  The vast majority of these assets are secure and very likely to retain most of their value over the long-haul.  The issue is liquidity.  AIG, one of the largest providers of corporate insurance in the world, has been "hit up" for claims an unprecedented amount this last decade.  AIG lost huge sums of money after the 9/11 attacks, after the 2005 hurricaine season, after the Indonesian Tsunami, and after the Chinese earthquake.  All devastating, all utterly unpredictable, and all freakishly unlikely.  All things considered, the only insurance investment among these which AIG made which was perhaps less than prudent was the massive amounts of insured corporate goods in New Orleans.

So... liquidity.  The liquid funds which AIG reserved were running critically low.  This isn't typically an issue, as AIG still has assets with amazing value, but with other market forces in action, and the entire financial industry in a state of panic, more and more claims were being filed, and investors were pulling their money out of AIG at the same time.  All together, a bad deal.  The desperate need for immediate liquidity meant that AIG didn't have enough time to solicit reasonable bids for assets, and would be selling assets for pennies on the dollar to generate cash-flow.  So... after soliciting a capital investment from other private corporations, which were turned down, the Federal Reserve Banks stepped in to provide the capital.

The purpose of the funds are to provide immediate assistance in providing funds for claims and investors so that AIG could be deliberate about the process of selling off assets to generate cash-flow.  The interest on the $85B line of credit is just over 11%, over two years.  The amount of money lost to interest is far less than the amount of money that AIG would lose by short-selling assets.  Ultimately, even if AIG has to close its doors, the Federal Reserve would safely be able to get a return of principle plus interest.  Moreover, if you noticed my language above, it's an $85 billion "line of credit", which means that AIG can borrow as much as it needs (up to $85B) and only pays interest on what it borrows.  It could be, if the panic subsides in the coming days, that AIG would only tap into $5 billion of the fund, or less.

Hope that's clarified the situation around AIG somewhat.  As far as the other bailout goes, I'll see if I can explain some of it, at a later date.

Posted By: SokMunkie
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 5:04am
Part of the problem is that if you want to find food without preservatives or HFCS, you have to spend the $$$$.  When you're living on a low income, it's very hard to buy food that's healthy because all the stuff that is healthy is out of your range.  Sure, I would love to buy organic foods, but I just can't afford it.  Even regular fruits and vegetables are high.  $5 for a 3 lb bag of apples.  $2.79 per lb for peaches.  I just try to do the best I can with what I am able to buy.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 5:46am
So do we break AIGs legs if they don't pay us back? Also, damn, 11% is pretty steep on >1 billion. What kind of returns do they see on an average investment? In order to dig themselves out, they're gonna have to make quite a return. Which, given the market for such things at the present, doesn't seem likely. Here's hoping I'm absolutely wrong.

Of course, the $700 billion is a completely different story, and was what I was referring to with aforementioned metaphor. That plan is way more vague and troubling.

Anyhow, I digress. Orange juice not from concentrate = good. HFCS = bad. On a side note, my Snack Pack tapioca does not have HFCS, which was exciting. Also, the chicken I just ate didn't have any ingredients listed, but I'm pretty sure it lacked HFCS. So that's at least two things.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:32am
DTX Brian:

Here's a belated thank-you for your very thoughtful response.  I've barely been able to check in during the last week, but I was very impressed by your articulation and thoughtfulness, not to mention your intelligence.

I hope your job is safe, and welcome to CIH!

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 3:21pm

So this is way above my pay-grade, but as I work vaguely in the industry... I'll see if I can clarify some of the events over the past week or two.

A little off-topic here, Brian.  And, of course, we nevvvvvver do that!  WinkLOL

A number of people believe that we might be overreacting to the financial situation.  But Wall Street ups and downs are often based on emotion.  Maybe not to this extent, but...

Anyway, you mentioned you might add more at a later date.  Just want to let you know that we have threads for this sort of thing.  They're in the "Member-Moderated" section under Jimbo/Thor.  In fact, I may copy/paste your previous comment there.  I think the specific thread is called "Watching our economy circle the drain".

Your insight will be welcome.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:11am

So do we break AIGs legs if they don't pay us back? Also, damn, 11% is pretty steep on >1 billion. What kind of returns do they see on an average investment? In order to dig themselves out, they're gonna have to make quite a return. Which, given the market for such things at the present, doesn't seem likely. Here's hoping I'm absolutely wrong.

I think you're misunderstanding.  The $85 billion isn't an investment in AIG.  It's a source of temporary liquidity to take the heat off of AIG so that AIG can sell assets to create their own liquidity without having a "fire sale" of assets.  So that you can understand better what I mean, JP Morgan Chase just bought Washington Mutual (not a division of... the ENTIRE company) for $1.9 billion.  In fiscal year 2007, Washington Mutual held assets worth more than $325 billion.  The federal government doesn't want AIG to be forced to panic sell assets for more than a 99% loss simply to create liquidity.  In an orderly sell-of, bidding should bring the percent return-to-value in a sell to a much higher percentage, ideally 80% or higher.  As I said earlier, AIG and its' subsidiaries have assets worth more than $1 trillion dollars.  If AIG sells 10% of its portfolio at 80% RTV, you've got more than $80 billion dollars right there, and AIG is STILL a massive company.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk