Forum Description: Discuss whatever.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21004
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: R.I.P. James Best
Posted By: Jimmy
Subject: R.I.P. James Best
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:26am
Mr. Best was the actor who was best known in the role of Roscoe P. Coltrane on The Dukes Of Hazzard TV programme. He died on Tuesday at the age of 88, from a case of pneumonia.
James Best played many characters in his long career, and was also a very gifted guitarist. He also was an acting teacher, as well as providing his voice for many voice acting jobs.
His role as Roscoe was delightful, and I've heard that it was an indication of the type of man he was.
The world is less one fine man in your absence James Best, and I hope you're in heaven with Boss Hogg....trying to beg for a few pralines!
God bless you sir, you will be missed.

-------------
One man gathers what another man spills

Replies:
Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:33am

Looking at his TV credits in Wikipedia, I see he was in all the old 50s and 60s westerns---many I'd forgotten about (like Wagon Train and Bat Masterson).

RIP, James.

Posted By: Jimmy
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Looking at his TV credits in Wikipedia, I see he was in all the old 50s and 60s westerns---many I'd forgotten about (like Wagon Train and Bat Masterson).

RIP, James.

I recently saw him on METV while watching an early episode of The Andy Griffith Show. In the role James played a young musician who returned to Mayberry after making it big, however he hadn't made it big, he was fired by his band leader. They made up their differences by the end of the episode, and he returned to his musical career. During the show, James played his guitar and sang, he was very, very good.

-------------
One man gathers what another man spills

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:50am
I was going to start a thread on this.

I watch a lot of those retro TV channels & so I see a lot of those old western shows,

I've seen him occasionally on Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, etc.

Played a lot of kind of sleazy characters.

AAMOF I think on the day he passed away, he was the guest on one of those old shows I was watching.

-------------
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I recently saw him on METV while watching an early episode of The Andy Griffith Show. In the role James played a young musician who returned to Mayberry after making it big, however he hadn't made it big, he was fired by his band leader. They made up their differences by the end of the episode, and he returned to his musical career. During the show, James played his guitar and sang, he was very, very good.

I know exactly the episode you are talking about.

The band he joined was called "Bobby Fleet & The Band With The Beat" LOL

Actually, there were two episodes with him playing the same character. The first one is the episode where Andy engineers his first meeting with the band by putting them in jail on a trumped up traffic charge...

It was the second one in which he came back to town after having made the big time with the band, but he'd had a falling out with the band leader over money.

Anyway, that wasn't really Best playing the guitar. They had a stand in musician playing when they showed the hands close ups. During the wider shots where you can see his face, he's faking it.

Nonetheless,  he was a great 60's & 70's character actor the likes of whom do not come around anymore.

RIP.

-------------
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States

Posted By: timdubya
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 6:39am
I recently saw him on an episode of The Rifleman where his character was accused of murder but the new town marshal would help him get off.  He was also a bad guy on an episode of The Green Hornet.  He played the head of a criminal operation.  He was about to escape with Lynda Day George's character (a photographer with The Daily Sentinel) when the Green Hornet caught him.

Posted By: Ad nauseous
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:15pm
Damn I still remember him reprising his role in a TV Dukes of Hazard movie in the early 2000s.

-------------
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk