Forum Description: Go here to voice your opinions
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15698
Printed Date: 23 Jul 2019 at 3:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Trivago Guy
Posted By: NeilHamburgerFan
Subject: Trivago Guy
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 9:59pm
Any one else think that is a crazy choice for a spokesperson? He looks like a sloppy homeless guy who needs to button two more buttons on his shirt. Trivago is a German company but they really need to get different commercials for the American market- yikes!

Replies:
Posted By: PaWolf
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 10:14pm
Confused was ist los mit dem fetten Kerl? Besuchen Sie gerade, wo er nicht tut.

-------------
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike

Posted By: JasperGretsch
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 10:27pm
Something about this guy's voice bugs me and I don't know what it is. 

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

ConfusedWould it help if he spoke that English lingo?

-------------
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike

Posted By: JasperGretsch
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

No I'm talking about the one that the OP is talking about. This one: 

Posted By: Ad nauseous
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 12:44am
It was a tolerable commercial until he iPad swiping and pressing with hands! They probably do it to look "futuristic" but it just looks stupid!

-------------
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off

Posted By: Clownloach64
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 6:13pm
He does appear to have spent many days with the bottle before landing this commercial. Couldn't he have taken a shower before hawking Trivago?His voice is odd as though he might originally have come from a different country.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:42pm
OMG is it just me, or did this guy just stumble out of a night of drinking? I swear I saw a hair sticking out of his unkempt head. If my my dad knew this guy and saw him he'd say "fix your hair!".

How is this messy image going to attract customers? I just don't get it!

-------------

Posted By: Papa Lazarou
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:47pm
Funny, I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing at all XD

I do dislike it, but mainly for that "Ohhh, look at our flashy shiny technology and computer stuff!". I suppose maybe he might look scruffy in comparison to the white-washed iPad-i-verse he seems to reside in, but outside of that I think he looks okay enough. Far better than the average local in this or the surrounding towns I live in.

-------------
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!

Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:36pm

He looks like he has some growth on and under his chin---like he only shaved part of his face.  Once you start going gray, the scruffy look just makes you look kinda bummy.  A gray 5 o'clock shadow doesn't work.  Makes you look, well---gray.  Plus, the shirt looks kinda old and worn-out.  Otherwise, he looks fine.  Better than many 55 (or whatever) year-olds.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:38pm
^I think the shirt's a linen blend. The weave looks like it would be. Typically they look like that, and they rarely photograph well because it's such a thin fabric.

-------------
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!

Posted By: Hezadancer
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 4:49pm
Every time I see an ad for a new travel site I just wonder "how the hell can the marketplace support this many players?". There is literally no need for like 5 travel sites that ALL DO THE SAME THING to exist. Go be a money grubber somewhere else and create your own website scheme.

-------------
It's ok, I'm in marketing!

Posted By: KrissyBean
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 5:05pm
Honestly, I think this guy is kind of good looking for an older gentleman.... but what's up with the unbuttoned shirt? So weird. I just want to button one more butten than I'd stop being so strange.

-------------
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:41pm
He has an accent. It's subtle, but it is there. He might be German or Swedish. My real problem with this guy is his super-long torso. His pants are strangely low-slung.

Posted By: hak
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 9:35pm
I don't think the fabric has anything to do with the collar hanging off to one side and the rumpled look...someone could have ironed the shirt / or changed the shirt before creating a commercial seen around the world...he just looks scruffy and unwashed.

Posted By: sgtrock21
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:11pm

Pa I'm sure you are aware that many Europeans are not on our usual daily bath or shower regimen. They look un-kept and often smell. I have received confused looks when I would be willing to pay $3 extra for a room with a shower!   

-------------
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous

Posted By: Zaleygirl
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:21pm
I hate everything about this guy. His ill fitting unbuttoned shirt that doesn't actually "match" the terrible jeans he's wearing. Not to mention he has an oddly long torso and short legs. He is unshaven and his teeth look grey. His skin is an unusual pallor and his fingernails are dirty. I could go on but I'm actually getting myself angry thinking about how gross he is.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:31pm

Here's his Facebook page.  If you think he's scruffy in this commercial...

https://www.facebook.com/timwilliamsofficial" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/timwilliamsofficial

Posted By: sonadornyc
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 12:07am
I actually came across this forum because I was trying to see if I was the only one who found the guy veeeery atractive. I do agree that he looks kind of "unkept," but I still think he's really sexy.....

Posted By: TV_Casualty
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 4:43am
Someone on one of the youtube pages for this commercial said that the guy looks like a stage 1 cancer patient.

That shouldn't be funny, but somehow, it is funny. LOL

Posted By: caki1963
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 7:23pm
OMG I hate that one!! you nailed it, he looks just like a homeless man!!! It is awful. 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 7:25pm
i too actually thought he was a little bit sexy Cool

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 7:29pm
totally agree!

Posted By: indorolando
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 12:12am
So... I came across this thread, because I also think it's a really weird commercial.... I even registered for this site just to post a reply..... It sounds like he has a REALLY WEIRD accent... Not as if he's actually from another country, but as if he WANTS to sound like he's from another country... it sounds like he's trying to sound like Antonio Banderas or some sh*t when he says "Trivago" ... f**king pisses me off

Posted By: sonadornyc
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 3:12am
He's SEXY!

Posted By: strifeknot
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:38pm
This guy definitely looks like he belongs in a beer commercial. I do appreciate when people are cast against type, and don't necessarily think he's a bad choice to pitch a service like this.

What's grating about the commercial is the the computer graphics moving all over the screen, and the actor pretend to interact with them. That's a tiresome trend that needs to die. It isn't even effective, since it just looks confusing and doesn't give any sense of what the site's actual interface is like.

Posted By: lcstyle
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 1:58am
Originally posted by indorolando indorolando wrote:

So... I came across this thread, because I also think it's a really weird commercial.... I even registered for this site just to post a reply..... It sounds like he has a REALLY WEIRD accent... Not as if he's actually from another country, but as if he WANTS to sound like he's from another country... it sounds like he's trying to sound like Antonio Banderas or some sh*t when he says "Trivago" ... f**king pisses me off

EXACTLY THIS!!!! What is wrong with you, JUST SAY IT THE WAY IT IS SPELLED WIERD HUNG OVER DOOD.

Is it TRIVAGO OR CHIVAGO OR SHIVAGO WTF IS IT GO AWAY I DONT CARE..

ANGRY << Kthxbye

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:31am
Uh, yeah, he is from another country, actually. Germany. He has a hint of an accent. It's not a big deal. Calm the fug down.

Posted By: JamesPOV
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:07pm
Who dressed this guy?  He doesn't even have a belt on.  The guy makes me NOT want to use Trivago. 

Posted By: Moochamoocha
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 5:14am
This guy DOES look like they recruited him right off the street while on a three day bender. Why should I use a service that some dirty guy is hawking?

-------------
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: SJames
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by caki1963 caki1963 wrote:

totally agree!

Did you just reply to, and agree with, yourself? LOL

Posted By: Batbrat
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 8:00pm
I agree. Wondering wth was up with their choice of spokesman is how I found CIH. He might be seen as sexy in some places, but he looks like that guy... that rumpled, hung over guy heading back out to the club to hit on girls half his age. Definitely not the type of person I want to picture when I'm shopping for clean, safe lodging while I travel!

Posted By: hcilysm
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 12:22pm
I thought that about his voice, too, until I learned that he is originally from Houston, Texas but has lived in Germany for the last 10 years. Maybe after speaking German for so long it's affected the way he sounds speaking English now.

He's almost 50 so I think he could have benefited from a different stylist. Not that guys that age are old (far from it) but his jeans are rumpled, his shirt is non-descript and he needs a shave (the stubble look is not attractive on him). And yes, button up your shirt more.

Posted By: hcilysm
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by indorolando indorolando wrote:

He's originally from Houston, Texas but has lived in Germany for the last 10 years. That might account for the unusual accent while speaking English now.

Posted By: lou28
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:08pm
What's up with the Trivago guy? He looks like he just rolled out of bed after a night at the bars trying to pick up ladies?

What's up with the disheveled look? This looks more like those late night dating infomercials.

Posted By: lou28
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:21pm
That's why I registered too! :) Makes me wonder what the execs are like with this company if they couldn't even see that this guys wasn't the best spokesperson to represent the company. I'm even wondering if this guy started the company? I mean what ad agency would use a guys like this unless he's the actual founder?

Posted By: matthewp23
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 7:29am
Yes, it drives me crazy! Looks like he pulled his clothes out of the hamper, and unless they shot every commercial in one sitting, it appears to be his uniform. Unkempt, nondescript, slovenly, everything you want in a spokesman...

Posted By: ItsAllTME
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 2:42am
Disheveled raggamuffin, blech

Posted By: Banderboy
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Zaleygirl Zaleygirl wrote:

I hate everything about this guy. His ill fitting unbuttoned shirt that doesn't actually "match" the terrible jeans he's wearing. Not to mention he has an oddly long torso and short legs. He is unshaven and his teeth look grey. His skin is an unusual pallor and his fingernails are dirty. I could go on but I'm actually getting myself angry thinking about how gross he is.

It's like he stepped out of a Vonage commercial Tongue

-------------
And the prophet said:
"And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day it was as one dead".

Posted By: Amy414
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 8:53pm
Oh good God. He sounds like Johnny Depp with that pretentious faux accent (and looks homeless like him too).

Posted By: oldbean
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 9:55pm
That trivago guy is an avatar.

Posted By: tommy0122
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 7:12pm
This is an older guy who is trying to be hip.  Once your beard turns gray, the 3 day stubble does not work.  It makes you look like a wine o.  I have the same issues that others here have, but my biggest issue, which no one else has mentioned, is the skinny jeans.  Totally wrong for someone his age.  If they had cleaned him up and dressed him in more age appropriate clothing, this commercial may have been OK. 

Posted By: tjcreative
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 10:21pm
 I've found the guy in the commercial pretty strange, even a bit disturbing, and don't quite understand the ad agency's choice.  He has this odd casual dress and three-day stubble, which doesn't work for me at all in promoting the Trivago service, especially with the kind of '70s style shirt unbuttoned in that kind of sleazy playboy hipster way. And equally strange is the restrained vocal delivery as he's saying the lines.  He seems a bit doped up or hung over, as if he can barely manage to get through the series of lines he's to speak.  All in all, one of the weirdest commercial presentations I've seen.  I was pretty sure this actor was the same guy who plays a role on "Mad Men," but when I looked him up there was no mention of a connection with that series.  

Posted By: d4everman
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 1:03am

No I'm talking about the one that the OP is talking about. This one: 

Every time I see this commercial I think "No thank you, I tend to only take advice from guys that own a razor and take showers before getting dressed."

-------------
"Did somebody say 'HOG-RIDERRRR'?!!"

Posted By: bwestfall
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 1:18am
I would not have said "homeless" but ever since I saw this the first time, I did think he looked very rough around the edges. Not that he should look model-like but he could do with a little work. He needs a haircut, not because his hair is too long, but somebody gave him a terrible haircut with one particularly ill-cut lump among several!

-------------
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman

Posted By: Stacy
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 2:51am
Tim Williams. He's 47, born in Houston, TX, has lived in Germany for 10 years. I don't hear any accent. He's only 5'9", so he's just got a weird build, very long torso, for that height. Shirt should be buttoned, but I don't think he looks all that bad.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

I don't hear any accent. 

I hear an accent.  It's slight, and I can't place it.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 12:57am
When you say accent, do you mean American regional, or a foreign one? Maybe it's just that he started out in Houston?

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 1:13am

When you say accent, do you mean American regional, or a foreign one? Maybe it's just that he started out in Houston?

No, it's not a Texas accent.  Can't really place it.  At 22 seconds (video on previous page), when he says "With two clicks, select", it just sounds odd.  Nothing major, though.

Posted By: ElevatorMusic
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 9:08am
VAGO in Spanish means  = Lazy Man (NO LIE)

TRI means = Three

Which is quite fitting because the man appears to be dirty, in need of a bath, and a shave = times three. Perhaps this was a play on words on tongue in cheek they chose this name.  All I know is that as a frequent traveler, watching a man who looks dirty and rumpled and awkward makes me want to run far away from that site.   This commercial alone makes me choose someone else -- Tripadvisor, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Kayak, you name it, anything but the triple lazy man site = Tri VAGO.

Enough Said 

Posted By: brensdad
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 7:36am
This guy is so gross! He looks like he has the flu. He is sweaty and dirty looking. The makeup on him is too white. He has a reddish chest that offsets the white on his face and it just all is just a hot mess! He looks slimy like he has been in the bar all night smoking his cigs and just what a waste of air time. I can not concentrate on what he has to say because he seems like a dirty sloppy mess. 

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 2:44am
Yeah theres a thread about this already. I agree. He looks like a bum. From what I understand he is from Texas but lives (or lived) in Germany. From my experiences from living in Germany for a few years...well, some folks don't shower much there. (I know that sounds bad, but well....)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:00am
ConfusedFor some dumb reason, Trivago bombarded the idiot box, today - EVERY 15 minutes - 'Trivago Guy'!
 Aaaaaaaaand, to boot - there were multiple Trivago commercials, only slightly different. On one, he ended the commercial by waving at his crotch (WHY?!Dead)
One thing to note - in every commercial, he was wearing exactly the same thing - and it wasn't until I just couldn't stand hearing 'Trivago' in the background  that I turned around to flip the channel and really realized how weird this guy really appears and sounds and how vry disturbing it really is. He simply is not 'normal' - nothing is 'right' about this guy - talk about a strange choice for spokesman! First thought that crossed my mind was that he had to be 'Rock Hudson's alien offspring from a gay soirée in Germaneaa', but then again...no. More like the semi-recovered gutter-bum heroin addict that won 'Who Wants To Make A Commercial?' and was allowed a quick shower and one set of cheap, clean second-hand clothes.  

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:39am

I think he's magical.  There's gotta be some reason why his thread is the only one on the "Commercials You Hate" page that has stars next to it.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think he's magical.  There's gotta be some reason why his thread is the only one on the "Commercials You Hate" page that has stars next to it.

ConfusedDead...*I* think he must love you (and want to show you just how much) for that observation. Probably going to invite you to a 'a gay soirée in Germaneaa' that will find you waking up in his shirt (how sweet!Embarrassed). Enjoy. 
And there are two other 'hate' threads with five-star rankings...(but how the heck did it happen?!)

"Soirée, Thoreaaa? Or just smoocheaaa?"

trivago_guy

-------------

Posted By: ADamant
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 4:35am

No, it's not a Texas accent.  Can't really place it.  At 22 seconds (video on previous page), when he says "With two clicks, select", it just sounds odd.  Nothing major, though.

I should probably consider myself blessed that I have not been subjected to this commercial on TV; the forums are the only place I have seen it. In any case, the way he says the aforementioned phrase (around :22 to :26, "and with two clicks, select your check-in and check-out dates... and search.") reminds me of SNL's Taran Killam impersonating Brad Pitt in a Chanel commercial. Ironically enough, one of the first things mentioned in this clip below about the spoof commercial is "looking super-homeless":

-------------
*WARNING* This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are prepared and served.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 2:31pm

^  Oh, yeah.  LOL

I remember that Pitt commercial.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  In fact, I started a thread about that one when it was out.

http://www.commercialsihate.com/chanel-5-with-brad-pitt_topic13971_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.commercialsihate.com/chanel-5-with-brad-pitt_topic13971_page1.html

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 2:36pm

And there are two other 'hate' threads with five-star rankings...(but how the heck did it happen?!)

I'm tellin' ya---it's magic.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:24pm
ConfusedThe guy is just too bizarre - if he knows how to find you a cheap hotel room, he knows how to find your hotel room. Don't think I'd like that - don't think I need Trivago's 'services', thank you very much. 

-------------

Posted By: DerSchuhmacher
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:00am
My Word!!! You guys are pathetic!!! First of all, most complain that actors, actresses and the like are "too perfect" because no one looks as beautiful as them in real life-I have to agree. Then they finally pick a guy that blends in in a crowd and you guys have a fit?!?! He looks like he could be a construction worker, computer work or several other professions.

He looks like an every day Joe!!! His hair has wave to it, he is NOT sweaty, he's not ghostly white...He's not a foreigner, he was born in Texas!!! He lives in Germany!!!

I have to wonder what all of you look like...

Furthermore, this site is called commercials I hate?? How can anyone like commercials?? I hate ALL commercials. They advertise things to get the hoarders and obsessives to spend all their money, they often run the same commercial 2-3 times in a row, they advertise things we all ready know about-very seldom is it actually a new product. We are all ready inundated in magazines, tv, radio, strips on sanitary products, web pages, they even threatened to advertise on eggs!!! And a high percentage of commercials highly insult my intelligence!!!

It wouldn't be so bad if we did commercials the way Germany used to and have a commercial free program and then at the end run all the commercials before the next program came on. Then that way those who are hypnotized to buy everything could sit there and watch and those of us who have a mind of our own could actually go to the bathroom, get something to eat/drink, write an E-mail or stretch before the next show. No wonder most peoples' attention spans suck.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:11am
Are you done standing on your soap box? I have to do t'washing.

-------------
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by DerSchuhmacher DerSchuhmacher wrote:

My Word!!! You guys are pathetic!!! First of all, most complain that actors, actresses and the like are "too perfect" because no one looks as beautiful as them in real life-I have to agree. Then they finally pick a guy that blends in in a crowd and you guys have a fit?!?! He looks like he could be a construction worker, computer work or several other professions.

He looks like an every day Joe!!! His hair has wave to it, he is NOT sweaty, he's not ghostly white...He's not a foreigner, he was born in Texas!!! He lives in Germany!!!

I have to wonder what all of you look like...

Furthermore, this site is called commercials I hate?? How can anyone like commercials?? I hate ALL commercials. They advertise things to get the hoarders and obsessives to spend all their money, they often run the same commercial 2-3 times in a row, they advertise things we all ready know about-very seldom is it actually a new product. We are all ready inundated in magazines, tv, radio, strips on sanitary products, web pages, they even threatened to advertise on eggs!!! And a high percentage of commercials highly insult my intelligence!!!

It wouldn't be so bad if we did commercials the way Germany used to and have a commercial free program and then at the end run all the commercials before the next program came on. Then that way those who are hypnotized to buy everything could sit there and watch and those of us who have a mind of our own could actually go to the bathroom, get something to eat/drink, write an E-mail or stretch before the next show. No wonder most peoples' attention spans suck.

ConfusedHi...welcome aboard.
If something drives one nuts about a commercial, comments get made - and this guy drives everyone nuts.
Beyond everything you've read prior...Yea, he looks like a wannabe-German (and, why yes, thank you - I would know). 

If you want to see what WE look like, there is a 'pictures' thread. You will find we are all very good looking, are socially-acceptable,  and have the right to 'hate commercials' given none of us have been asked to be in any.  

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

Yeah theres a thread about this already. I agree. He looks like a bum. From what I understand he is from Texas but lives (or lived) in Germany. From my experiences from living in Germany for a few years...well, some folks don't shower much there. (I know that sounds bad, but well....)
LOLIndeed...soap & water & deodorant seemed to be 'luxury items' when we bounced around France & Germany. Women also didn't always see the need to shave their legs or under the arms, yet would run around in bright colored fishnet stockings.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 6:14pm
I've been to a few countries in Europe and almost  all the people I came in contact with were clean and didn't smell.  My relatives there, in fact, all showered every day, used deodorant and went out looking far more presentable than many Americans look when they step out the door. I will agree that many women, in years past, didn't shave their underarms and legs as a regular habit, but all the young ones I met there did. It was probably a generational thing. I'm not ancient, but I do remember my mother telling me that it wasn't a common thing for many women to "shave" when she was very young, either, and my mom was super-clean, both on her person and with her house. Practices change, and a lot of it has nothing to do with cleanliness. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:56pm

My relatives there, in fact, all showered every day, used deodorant and went out looking far more presentable than many Americans look when they step out the door.  

I agree that we've become a nation of slobs.  Over the past 20 years or so, we've begun to look like hell.  At this point, I think slobbishness is something many actually aspire to.  Militant slobs!  Look at the Duck Dynasty guys.  Prior to their makeovers, they looked like linen-wearers from The Hamptons or Malibu.  Now that they've transformed themselves into pigs, people idolize them.

Posted By: msmadz
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
His shirt seems see-through or his skin is the same color. Something weird. And yeah, it does look wrinkled. Not he best call in wardrobe. This guy has been on all weekend on the channel I was watching.

-------------
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 1:05am

I've been to a few countries in Europe and almost  all the people I came in contact with were clean and didn't smell.  My relatives there, in fact, all showered every day, used deodorant and went out looking far more presentable than many Americans look when they step out the door. I will agree that many woman, in years past, didn't shave their underarms and legs as a regular habit, but all the young ones I met there did. It was probablya a generational thing. I'm not ancient, but I do remember my mother telling me that it wasn't a common thing for many woman to "shave" when she was very young, either, and my mom was super-clean, both on her person and with her house. Practices change, and a lot of it has nothing to do with cleanliness. 
WinkAge before beauty, Ma'am...
I grew up living all over Europe, Ireland, and Great Britain, then went back for professional reasons. We also lived in a few *small* French and German farm towns, along with a few cities and I'm here to tell you the 'sights & aromas' one encounters remain with you for life, but I'm also here to tell you to this day, I dearly miss those people, places, and times. We left our European life in January, 1976. 
I've had some trips for customers since (I never turn down a chance to return), and yes, 'things change'.
MissyDCrankiness doesn't share the same desire to return as I do - she doesn't like getting caught in any conversation she can't understand and gets upset (not visibly), leaving me to deal with her until she calms down (she even gets riled when we run into hoards of Amish people chatting between themselves).

-------------

Posted By: Hoagie78
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 1:37am

My relatives there, in fact, all showered every day, used deodorant and went out looking far more presentable than many Americans look when they step out the door.  

I agree that we've become a nation of slobs.  Over the past 20 years or so, we've begun to look like hell.  At this point, I think slobbishness is something many actually aspire to.  Militant slobs!  Look at the Duck Dynasty guys.  Prior to their makeovers, they looked like linen-wearers from The Hamptons or Malibu.  Now that they've transformed themselves into pigs, people idolize them.

I agree. The 80's were probably the last decade that people aspired to look presentable. If you look back at shows from that time period the preppy/clean cut/wall street look was in. People wanted to look like the people on Dynasty. Now they want to look like Duck Dynasty.

The arrival of Grunge in the mid 90's began the decline.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 11:53am
This is place for commercial hate. Please do not judge us. We do the Lord's work.

-------------
Clownloach64

Posted By: Beckler
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:07am
It's a stupid commercial, sure, as all commercials are.  But the only reason I hate it, and him, so much is if you watch CNN at all, it's literally playing every 15 min.  I want to knock the TV over.  I'll never ever go to trivago for anything.  :D  What the hell is their strategy anyway?  Annoy the hell out of someone until they finally give in and go book some vacation on trivago?  Stop playing it continuously, morons.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:25pm

I think I saw him the other day in a commercial for some company that somehow works with small businesses.  It was just a split-second snippet, and it was really tiny, taken from the Trivago commercial.

Anyway, if you think he looks rough in the commercial, check out this pic...

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/billybobc/media/TrivagoGuy_zps79de2176.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:36pm
We're all temporary.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:08pm

Originally posted by strifeknot strifeknot wrote:

We're all temporary.

Maybe he means he's working on a sex change.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:05pm

Originally posted by strifeknot strifeknot wrote:

We're all temporary.

Maybe he means he's working on a sex change.

Check out his web page. I think you have a point - maybe a few (including one he apparently is trying to lose). It never ceases to amaze me how many women were accidently born in men's bodies...seems to make one think that the whole 'reincarnation' thing is a mess and controlled by WalMart.  

-------------

Posted By: jjhoneybean
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 3:04pm
OMG....I thought I was the only person who thinks this guy is disgusting...You can tell he's a smoker right off the bat by his voice...then they put a smoker with an already grey pallor in a wrinkled gray shirt...his hair, also, is a greasy mess...I swear to God, every time he's on the air, I think I can actually smell him..Also, love the long torso and short bowed legs..

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 4:40pm
welcome, jjhonebean (cool name!) I saw a series of these the other day and in one his hair on the left side of his head is sticking straight out. They must have run a bunch of these because, although he's clad in the same rumpled clothes, his hair is smoothed down.

I think of the movie "The Lost Weekend" every time I see these commercials.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 5:08pm
I found Trivago dude's profile on this german web site:
http://www.inka-stelljes.de/index.php/t/gallery/dir/actors/d/1/s/m/a/a31_tim_williams. -

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 10:15pm
Hi Madowee, your name is cool too...actually I mis-typed my user name..it's jjhoneybean...
Well, in any event, I have to correct you...Ray Milland actually looked quite debonaire compared to "Gray Guy", which I named him...I know, I know, he didn't look so great when he was binging, but what's this guy's excuse?

Posted By: FireFish
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 3:01am
Originally posted by NeilHamburgerFan NeilHamburgerFan wrote:

Any one else think that is a crazy choice for a spokesperson? He looks like a sloppy homeless guy who needs to button two more buttons on his shirt. Trivago is a German company but they really need to get different commercials for the American market- yikes!
I know EXACTLY what you mean. He looks like an out of work coked-out actor who was picked for this because of his willingness to work for smack.

Either this was incredibly smart or stupid. Stupid because anytime I hear Trivago I'll think of this train wreck or brilliant because perhaps that's their target demographic. Either way, I've seen this commercial one too many times; enough to google who the hell this guy is and sure enough this was the first search result. In my professional opinion, that's a pretty beaming sign to think about a different career. He just doesn't go with the camera. I don't either, but then again I'm the head of a software company. He looks like he got lost in the late 80s or 90s and never quite left the party. Now he needs a cheap motel to live in.   

Posted By: DerSchuhmacher
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:07am
Again, very shallow if you judge a woman because she did not shave. And even the women over in Europe who don't shave or wear deoderant, take baths or showers a LOT to stay clean. And yes I do know, I have been over there enough.

To scorn people the way you guys are, definitely is not conducive to nice, decent people. I feel sorry for a majority of you. When you learn what's important, like what's on the inside, then there will be some hope.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 1:21pm

Trivago Man certainly does seem to rile a lot of people up.  Four pages worth.  It's not just here, though.  It's all over the 'net.  Same complaints.

He doesn't really bug me.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 2:14pm
Either this was a serious mistake on Trivago's part or the grandest plan ever! Will any of us ever forget the name of this company? Whether the public will buy it or not is still to be determined...

To the person who feels that we are all so terrible...remember, you are on a website named, "Commercials You Hate!!!"

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 2:30pm

Again, very shallow if you judge a woman because she did not shave. And even the women over in Europe who don't shave or wear deoderant, take baths or showers a LOT to stay clean. And yes I do know, I have been over there enough.

To scorn people the way you guys are, definitely is not conducive to nice, decent people. I feel sorry for a majority of you. When you learn what's important, like what's on the inside, then there will be some hope.

I'll go to confession and say a dozen Hail Mary's.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I'll go to confession and say a dozen Hail Mary's.

I won't. I've spent half of my military career in Europe. I have a lot of European friends that I keep in touch with, and some have even travelled here to visit me. That being said unshaven legs on women are unattractive to a lot of people. Dirty unwashed people are off putting to many people. The unwashed, non-bathing person may be a saint, and God bless 'em, but I'm not about to feel bad about pointing it out on an internet forum because an anonymous internet voice thinks I don't know what is important.

Heck, even my wife who is accepting of anyone has said "Trivago Guy looks like he smells like a trash".

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 3:36pm

I've known plenty of Europeans, and they didn't smell.  However, I'll bet the smell of the unwashed European is historically why the French are so big in the perfume industry.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 6:04pm

I've known plenty of Europeans, and they didn't smell.  However, I'll bet the smell of the unwashed European is historically why the French are so big in the perfume industry.

I grew up around them. You are a fibber.

-------------

Posted By: Moochamoocha
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 4:15am

When you learn what's important, like what's on the inside, then there will be some hope.

It looks like what's on the inside of him is a lot of cheap booze.

-------------
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

When you learn what's important, like what's on the inside, then there will be some hope.

LOLLOLLOL!

-------------

Posted By: Beckler
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

LOL.

2 points.  First, had you ever heard of trivago before the Malaysian missing plane?   I didn't, but now suddenly their goddamn commercial is on every channel, literally all the time.  If, as it seems, they've hugely ramped up their air times becuase of the plane story, Trivago management is horrible worthless human trash.  So is CNN for their 24/7 coverage, but that's already well-known.

Speaking of which, the trivago spokesman. :D  He's a moron.  What are the chances he finished high school?  Or that his IQ is above zero?  Yeah, zero.  Go back to a life of petty crime you simpleton.  :D  (That was a joke, btw.  i'm not seriously saying he steals skittles and transit passes from the corner store)

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Beckler Beckler wrote:

2 points.  First, had you ever heard of trivago before the Malaysian missing plane?   I didn't, but now suddenly their goddamn commercial is on every channel, literally all the time.  If, as it seems, they've hugely ramped up their air times becuase of the plane story, Trivago management is horrible worthless human trash.  So is CNN for their 24/7 coverage, but that's already well-known.

Naaah.  Even just this thread goes back to last June.  It's aired a lot, non-stop, since then.  I don't think the Malaysian thing is related.  If it gets ramped up, it's when travel seasons are upcoming...and that could be summer, holidays, spring break, etc.

Posted By: Breaks407
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 5:22pm
Yes I got to agree with most everyone about this guys appearance. The voice doesn't bother me so much but you would think that a company would choose someone more kept to represent them. This douche looks like an old scruffy barfly that stumbled out of the pub after a night of alcoholic drinking. The first time I saw this commercial I thought this guy looked like he was smoking weed based on his glossy eyes
Is his torso really that long or is he trying to sag those skinny jeans. The no belt thing really gets me. Overall, a horrible choice for a spokesperson

Posted By: Breaks407
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 5:42pm

Tell us, are you one of those stinky, non shaving, non deodorant, no shower Euro's? Nothing worse than someone without personal hygiene. Getting stuck in close quarters with these beasts is torture . And yes I judge any woman who does shave or smell feminine and I'm not talking about the fish or onion smell.   Lol.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:55pm
Sadly, Trivago guy looks like the vast majority of the public today. The most dirty/scruffy/dressed down a person can get is what the style is. I don't understand it, but I see it everywhere.  

Look at the scuzz bag they have doing the Vonage ads and that 70'skeezer they were using for Progressive.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Breaks407 Breaks407 wrote:

Tell us, are you one of those stinky, non shaving, non deodorant, no shower Euro's? Nothing worse than someone without personal hygiene. Getting stuck in close quarters with these beasts is torture . And yes I judge any woman who does shave or smell feminine and I'm not talking about the fish or onion smell.   Lol.

As I said, I've lived in Europe for at least half of my military career. (most regulars here know I retired a year ago) It may be a cultural thing, but I agree with you Breaks407.

I worked at a NATO assignment for a few years, doing tech support. It was basically a school for NATO officers and NCOs and one class had an exercise in a small room. It was spring there, not very hot, but a warm day. Still there were about 6 European officers from various countries in this room....and they STUNK. I'm not talking about a little sweaty funk smell, I mean, like "JEEZUZ I CAN'T BREATH! NONE OF THESE GUYS SHOWERED TODAY!". I had to go in to repair a printer connection and I won't lie, I told them I had to wait until lunch whgen no one was in the room to do it. Because the odor was just too freakin' bad. ...and before you can say maybe it was me, the instructor and his assistant (French and English guys) knew why I said that and told me Yeah, those guys didn't bathe and they smell like ****".

-------------

Posted By: kevint29
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 2:34am
I found this site when I Googled "Trivago smell homeless foreigner" and was surprised and kind of happy for some reason. It does f-ing annoy me. Now that I said what I came for, I feel tired and a bit sad. Bye.

Posted By: kevint29
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 2:48am
This Fing guy is really pissing me off. I simply Googled "Trivago smelly homeless foreigner" and found this website and after following your link, I am really agitated and pissed. I think Id throw something at the dog if that commercial came on anytime soon. or throw the dog at the tv. I gotta go.

Posted By: sgtrock21
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 4:30pm
I saw a different Trivago commercial this morning. The Trivago guy has apparently not showered or changed his funky clothes in how many Months?

-------------
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by kevint29 kevint29 wrote:

This Fing guy is really pissing me off. I simply Googled "Trivago smelly homeless foreigner" and found this website and after following your link, I am really agitated and pissed. I think Id throw something at the dog if that commercial came on anytime soon. or throw the dog at the tv. I gotta go.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: felanie77
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:00am
OMG! i'm so glad i found this forum! i had posted a message on trivago's facebook page about how gross and disgusting their spokesperson is. he looks like some eurotrash asshole who's been up on a coke/sleazy sex binge for 3 days! and now there's a new commercial and he looks just as horribly gross as ever. doesn't that guy bathe? i got lots of mssgs. on fb. about what i wrote on their page, about him, and i was so glad i wasn't the only one who'd noticed how messed up that guy is! lol i thought maybe i was being hyper-critical. when i saw the new ad tonight, i went to their facebook page again to ask them why they keep showing his stinkyass and they don't have an official facebook page anymore. was it something i said? PLEASE someone, make that hideous ass go away! i'm just glad there's no smellovision.Dead

Posted By: offcourse
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 2:49am
It is nice to know I am not alone in my utter amazement at Trivago's choice of spokesperson.  I would say disgust, but I just can't blame that actor.  
I watched a commercial being filmed once and they were so extremely picky about every little thing - for example, the guy's neck looked too long so they got him a different shirt with a collar that was higher so he would look more proportional.  Took a while and in the mean time he needed to stand on a footstool, but then it was 1/2 inch at a time they were making adjustments etc...(the process to get one line of the commercial filmed took forever).  
My point is WHY would they not get some makeup on this guy that makes more sense than the red chest, bobbing white adams apple and pallor of death face color.   - and so if its not the make up then why not fix the lighting?? 
Sigh of relief... I am glad I found this forum.  Thanks for letting me vent.  
If Trivalgo is looking for customers they just lost me as a prospect. I shall forever call them the three lazy guys company as somebody posted here before me.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk