Print Page | Close Window

NBC's Revolution

Printed From: Commercials I Hate!
Category: Commercials You Hate!
Forum Name: Television Related Rants
Forum Description: That awful stuff between the bad commercials.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13355
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NBC's Revolution
Posted By: Vindicated
Subject: NBC's Revolution
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:59pm
Ok, I haven't seen another thread dedicated to the show and I apologize if there is. 

Anyway, I would totally ignore NBC's Revolution since it seems that it is NBC's way of capitalizing on the Hunger Games mixed in with other "family drama sci-fi" shows like Terra Nova.  

However they keep pushing on us promos about a TV program with a absurd premise. Apparently if the power grid goes down, so will civilization. Humanity may be an endangered species. And dinosaurs may once again roam the lush jungles of Northern Illinois. 

They do know that Chicago was already a major metropolis before electricity came to town? 

Promos show neighborhoods and Wrigley Field overgrown in a Jungle like forest. Why? Did a virus or a Zombie Apocalypse keep people from maintaining their yards over the past 15 years? Another clip has one of them saying "do you think there are other towns like ours?" Why, has every city become so overgrown that in 15 years the thought of other neighborhoods will be considered a myth? Finally, I had come across an ad that asked us to imagine a world without various technologies and services. For me it wasn't really scary since I had lived without half of the things listed in the 80's and early 90's. 

Personally I believe that this show is pandering to the fears of a younger crowd. What no Facebook!? Western Civilization will fall! Yeah, life with out electrictity would suck, especially at first. But we would learn to go back to steam trains, gas lights, push movers, and actually talking to our friends and family! Shocked   

Replies:
Posted By: Tiz
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 8:50pm

It looks too far fetched to me. Airliners falling out of the sky? LOLC'mon. Why are the people using bows & arrows or muskets instead of modern day weapons? 

Posted By: Ad nauseous
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:17pm
Even though it's far fetched and unrealistic (falling planes? really?) I'm still interested in it.

Beats the average reality show THAT'S for sure.

-------------
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off

Posted By: MrTim
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:51pm
I've got a fortune in vacuum tubes in my garage.  LOL  And there are plenty of books from the 1920's on telling you how you build your own radios and transmitters from scratch.  Unless the EMP/CME is continuous, people would have a ham network up within 3 years (if not sooner.)

Quote Why are the people using bows & arrows or muskets instead of modern day weapons? 

Because the show's producers got a cheaper rate renting out the props from Daniel Boone than for more expensive modern stuff....   LOL

-------------
http://mrtim1k.blogspot.com/ - WKRP closing theme lyrics HERE!

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 9:21pm
^^ You have any swords?Wink

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:55pm
Actually, yes....  Wink

-------------

Posted By: PitLoad413
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:02pm
If you ask me, NBC's Revolution has an interesting and more importantly a very depressing premise. I agree, I'm glad it's not a dumb-assed reality show. However, It would've made more sense if were an alien invasion or surviving a nuclear war (which has the after effects similar to what happened in the show) 15-20 years after the fact. We have enough close-to-home doomsday scenarios on the History Channel, NatGEO, and the 24-hour news networks. Not-to-mention the global recession, terrorism, and so-on and so forth. Now's not the time to create a startling "what if" that sounds familiar to what happened in the ending of the 2008 remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.  It's an original concept, but it's still too dark for me. 

Furthermore, you can't really have a global blackout unless you have a nuclear weapons in outer space, something that even the most insane of right-wingers(this side of a damn lunatic asylum) would object to!  I mean come on here.

Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by PitLoad413 PitLoad413 wrote:

If you ask me, NBC's Revolution has an interesting and more importantly a very depressing premise. I agree, I'm glad it's not a dumb-assed reality show. However, It would've made more sense if were an alien invasion or surviving a nuclear war (which has the after effects similar to what happened in the show) 15-20 years after the fact. We have enough close-to-home doomsday scenarios on the History Channel, NatGEO, and the 24-hour news networks. Not-to-mention the global recession, terrorism, and so-on and so forth. Now's not the time to create a startling "what if" that sounds familiar to what happened in the ending of the 2008 remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.  It's an original concept, but it's still too dark for me. 

Furthermore, you can't really have a global blackout unless you have a nuclear weapons in outer space, something that even the most insane of right-wingers(this side of a damn lunatic asylum) would object to!  I mean come on here.

I read your posts to see exactly how and when you're going to bring right-wingers or Republicans into the subject at hand.  It's not even a matter of "if".  LOL

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:18pm
Okay Okay! I'm sorry.  Please keep in mind I'm not blaming anyone.  It just came up. 

The point I was trying to make is that no one other than a crazy luddite zealot, a schizophrenic, or an authentic wacko would do this sort of thing. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:43am
The characters look well groomed.... considering.Ermm 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 3:03am
Yeah, that's another thing about these apocalyptic dramas. How can you be clean and well-groomed in a world that hasn't seen technology for almost 20 years? The only things that are dirty are their clothes and everything else. My prognosis for this series is: "We have another Lost on our hands, this time it's on NBC." 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 4:38am

Lost meets JerichoLOL  

After The Apocalypse:
The roaming gangs of cannibals are pissed, because they ran out of BBQ sauce ten years earlier.  Florida is an uninhabited jungle after the giant mutant pythons ate everyone.  The major export of New York City is "RATions" (rats flattened with a large mallet and slow roasted over a fire until they are furry jerky.)  California, well, is largely unpopulated because they thought they could live off of smoking pot (didn't work.)  New Jersey sank into the ground after the pollution caught fire and melted a hole in the earth (the survivors hijacked garbage barges and escaped.)  Texas is raiding surrounding states for slaves and stone to build a pyramid (the base of which IS the size of Texas.)  Contact was lost with Washington and Oregon after waves of Sasquatch overran them.  Nevada and Utah are fighting each other for control of the last whorehouses on the border.   Wisconsin was taken over by cows one night.  Maine, well, nobody cares what happened to Maine....

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Lost meets JerichoLOL  

After The Apocalypse:
The roaming gangs of cannibals are pissed, because they ran out of BBQ sauce ten years earlier.  Florida is an uninhabited jungle after the giant mutant pythons ate everyone.  The major export of New York City is "RATions" (rats flattened with a large mallet and slow roasted over a fire until they are furry jerky.)  California, well, is largely unpopulated because they thought they could live off of smoking pot (didn't work.)  New Jersey sank into the ground after the pollution caught fire and melted a hole in the earth (the survivors hijacked garbage barges and escaped.)  Texas is raiding surrounding states for slaves and stone to build a pyramid (the base of which IS the size of Texas.)  Contact was lost with Washington and Oregon after waves of Sasquatch overran them.  Nevada and Utah are fighting each other for control of the last whorehouses on the border.   Wisconsin was taken over by cows one night.  Maine, well, nobody cares what happened to Maine....

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 10:39pm
Pretty good Mr T. LOL  Think the Palin family will throw a tea party and take over Alaska?
Oprah down to 100lbs. from rubbing sticks together to cook dinner for her and Dr Phil, who's washing
used condoms in a creek.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:00pm

I could turn this into a humorous series of books.

I think I'd call it "Amockalypse"....  LOL

-------------

Posted By: DirtyD79
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I could turn this into a humorous series of books.

I think I'd call it "Amockalypse"....  LOL

I still stand by my theory that the world is going to end in a great big Three Stooges style pie fight.

-------------
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer

Posted By: regulus
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 12:15am
This series looks likw it may have potential, but as usual I'm going to wait until it comes out on DVD, so in don't have to cope wityh the Commercials and other Intrusions (That's Pop-Ups/Snipes, Scrolls and Banners for those of you in Rio Linda!). Angry

-------------
Poiuyt Power!!!

Posted By: jeroboam
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:07pm
Some are saying he is ripping off the  series of books in the "emberverse". SM Stirlings book series regarding the Change. Though it is a genre with some history  http://io9.com/emberverse/  I will check it out. It looks fun. Basically the well groomed aspects is always a funny trope but one can argue that when the warlord/feudal society does arise, old habits won't have disappeared, they will just have adapted. So.. haircut by candle light etc..

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 4:30am
A more realistic change would be an America that reverted back to a 19th century society. At least then you coulda had a more Steampunkish adventure. 

The latest explaination that I've heard is that physics changed. Apparently this change also eliminates the use of typewriters, pushmowers, and the ballet box.   

Sorry, but I'm too old to fall for the idea that the end of Facebook and Texting equals the end of civilization. Now you kids get off my lawn! LOL

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 12:29pm
I'm kind of pissed off that they don't use guns, they'res probably a lame explanation for that but I don't care. A worldwide blackout wouldn't cause guns to be inoperable! Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Vindicated Vindicated wrote:

A more realistic change would be an America that reverted back to a 19th century society. At least then you coulda had a more Steampunkish adventure. 

The latest explaination that I've heard is that physics changed. Apparently this change also eliminates the use of typewriters, pushmowers, and the ballet box.   

Sorry, but I'm too old to fall for the idea that the end of Facebook and Texting equals the end of civilization. Now you kids get off my lawn! LOL
LOL
Wouldn't the characters look more like the Hatfield's & McCoy's instead of the hair styles and makeup in this dud.Confused 
Ad, they show an 1800 style musket black powder rifle in the above trailer. Fail. It doesn't matter how they spin "physics changing", if a black powder rifle still works, any firearm will work. 

Posted By: TheBoomMan
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 10:43pm
Surprisingly their all still using old day weapons, doesn't look realistic but it still kinda interests me.

-------------
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:03pm
They have guns. But the militias have them. Basically military took over in portions of the former us. A common citizen has a gun and the militia leader says "Owning a gun is a hanging
offense"

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:06pm
It's pretty good. Comcast has a sneak peek on On Demand. I enjoyed it, I am thinking some kinks will be worked out and maybe more explanations will arise. In the end, it follows their "science" consistently enough while adhering to known common science to allow suspension of disbelief.  I can kind of see where a massive shut down of the grid and transportation would cripple us. Maybe not to such vast proportions but then what fun would that be?

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:05am
I'm looking forward to it. It interests me on why they are using weapons a Amish would use.

-------------

Posted By: eribean
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Pretty good Mr T. LOL  Think the Palin family will throw a tea party and take over Alaska?
Oprah down to 100lbs. from rubbing sticks together to cook dinner for her and Dr Phil, who's washing
used condoms in a creek.
Please write tabloids

-------------
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:07am
Swords, crossbows, muskets, bows.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 5:51am
Guns are controlled by the militia, as well as machining would be hard as there is no electricity and hand lathe and precision machining and tooling equipment would be rare and hard to come up with in a mere 15 years after a grid shut down. Basically chaos, collapse and probably a few society crippling disasters and outbreaks and mass die offs. Diabetics would die, dialysis people etc.. So when the military took over they had all the toys

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 7:59pm
So much for all those Doomsday shelter families........  

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 1:46am

So much for all those Doomsday shelter families........  

That emoticon cracks me up!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 1:57am
Well thanks to a heated "debate", I missed the start time of a movie I wanted to see. So I guess I'll watch the premier to see how they explain things. Hopefully it doesn't involve a string of numbers.Wacko 

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:27am
"Ok..now what you gotta understand"....and I'm out. 

That opening line was the prime example of how the writers are trying to fool me into their hair brained idea. I watched about the first 4 minutes before dropping out because it showed the same insane concepts shown in the previews. ..."you gotta understand...when the power went out..people died because there was no medicine and no food..if you stayed in the cities, you died..." Have you ever opened up a history book!? And why are people dressing like Medieval surfs? They should be at least dressing like cowboys. People were dressing a lot nicer before electricity. 

Apparently the people falling for this have never been without power for 3 days because their family was facing economic hardships or natural disasters, attending a farm festival, visited a museum, or grown anything in a garden. Heck, have they even gone camping without electronic devices beyond maybe a radio? 

Originally I accused the writers of simply trying to scare the younger folk who don't know of a world without such personal, invasive tech. But I'm afraid it worse than that. I think this might be message to the kids (and tech addicted adults with amnesia) that the world will end without your latest and greatest gadgets so cherish your opportunity to buy the new IPhone. Sorry for diving into the conspiracy pool, but this show just ticks me off. Angry

Posted By: eribean
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:57am

"you gotta understand...when the power went out..people died because there was no medicine and no food..if you stayed in the cities, you died..."
Because people would definitely not learn to leave and go find edible vegetation of any kind. They would definitely just rather die.

-------------
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 4:11am
Originally posted by eribean eribean wrote:

"you gotta understand...when the power went out..people died because there was no medicine and no food..if you stayed in the cities, you died..."
Because people would definitely not learn to leave and go find edible vegetation of any kind. They would definitely just rather die.

Well the big question is, how did people in 1890's Chicago manage to live? Besides, Chicago is surrounded by farms, it is the midwest after all! People left the cities they say. But where did they go? Did over 300 million people just wander out and pitch tents in a farmer's field or a state park? Also they said..."without power, governments failed." Do the writers know that the very documents that guides our nations were written with quills and parchment, all without spell checker?
http://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_q145.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_q145.html

No kids, if you want a truly scarry look at a world without electricity, check out an episode of "The Adventures of Sherlock Homes, 
Episode:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP97X9YoZjY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP97X9YoZjY
Not narry a bit o'electricty needed!

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 5:10am
Just saw a episode of it. It was quite good and it didn't look as unrealistic as the previews.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 5:28am
I didn't set the VCR right and missed the first 15 mins.  Pretty sure they'll rerun it later this week.  If the show seems to steal the main plot device (something dampens out modern technology) from Dies the Fire, I'm going to skip it....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 9:41pm

Well the big question is, how did people in 1890's Chicago manage to live? Besides, Chicago is surrounded by farms, it is the midwest after all! People left the cities they say. But where did they go? Did over 300 million people just wander out and pitch tents in a farmer's field or a state park? Also they said..."without power, governments failed."

You have to remember people in the 1800s never knew anything about electricity or batteries. They didn't have refrigerators that plugged into a wall.
Our Government fails even with electricity.LOL  I'm not taking up for the show, as I didn't watch it. It reminds me of all the hype back during Y2K. When the clocks hit 12:00 midnight on the year 1999, would all the world's computers resort back to the year 1901.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 1:59am

Well the big question is, how did people in 1890's Chicago manage to live? Besides, Chicago is surrounded by farms, it is the midwest after all! People left the cities they say. But where did they go? Did over 300 million people just wander out and pitch tents in a farmer's field or a state park? Also they said..."without power, governments failed."

You have to remember people in the 1800s never knew anything about electricity or batteries. They didn't have refrigerators that plugged into a wall.
Our Government fails even with electricity.LOL  I'm not taking up for the show, as I didn't watch it. It reminds me of all the hype back during Y2K. When the clocks hit 12:00 midnight on the year 1999, would all the world's computers resort back to the year 1901.

Well all I know is that the Beverly Hillbillies would be kings and we would all have to bow down to our Amish Overlords! - Jed Clampet: "So you say we're in global blackout? Weelllll Doggyyy!" LOL

Posted By: Snesgamer
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 2:56am
Saw the pilot. Not horrible as long as you TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF and just enjoy the action and premise.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 10:19pm
I think it is more a security blanket ripped from us scenario. That and the infrastructure of 19th century America was not plugged in and therefore was more reliant on man power and craftsmanship. Now all is reliant on a grid, and automation and we submit much of our faith to arbitrary technology. It isn't so much electricity that is dead and changed, as we as living creatures could not exist without electricity on a biological level but the harnessing and distribution of said power seems to be wonky. 

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 5:03am
Well, I'm dropping this show from my viewing schedule.  Mainly because none of the characters are particularly likeable.  And, the series' plot has been 'telegraphed' ("Whichever side finds all 12 magic lockets first, wins!"), which means the series will get dragged out like 'Lost' (but I doubt it will make it to a second season.)  I have no patience for insipidity, I guess....

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:04pm
("Whichever side finds all 12 magic lockets first, wins!")

Where'd the magic lockets magically come from?

Posted By: sgtrock21
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Guns are controlled by the militia, as well as machining would be hard as there is no electricity and hand lathe and precision machining and tooling equipment would be rare and hard to come up with in a mere 15 years after a grid shut down. Basically chaos, collapse and probably a few society crippling disasters and outbreaks and mass die offs. Diabetics would die, dialysis people etc.. So when the military took over they had all the toys

I could create a crude functional gun with hand tools and common materials. I could also create gunpowder with only 3 common ingredients. I am not an engineer or journeyman metal worker.

-------------
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous

Posted By: sgtrock21
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:08am

Well all I know is that the Beverly Hillbillies would be kings and we would all have to bow down to our Amish Overlords! - Jed Clampet: "So you say we're in global blackout? Weelllll Doggyyy!" LOL
Agree. The Beverly Hillbillies and the Amish would survive. They know how to do it.

-------------
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:48am
Quote Guns are controlled by the militia

In real-life America, any attempt to seize the guns would just result in a big stinking pile of dead "militia"....

As far as powering machine shop equipment, wouldn't take much to hook a v-belt between the machine and, say, a water wheel.  Or just grab some exercise bikes from health clubs and rig those up.  Heck, there'd be enough smart people around to have all this stuff up and running within a month of losing all power (and by then all the people dependent on their iCrap would die from withdrawal....)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 10:35am
If we lost rail and shipping container and semi transport, we would falter very quickly.

Add to that the lack of preservation and temp controls. People panic and those that stay cool and collected are a small minority. These would be the people in power. As well as land owners that already have food. Farms would be raided or turn in to warlord ran compounds. Pre existing militias would form and those ambivalent about hot button issues like guns would probably fall under those holding the guns. There are numerous flaws and absurd aspects in this show, but our spiral down doesn't strike me as too far fetched. Though I think we would recover quicker and carry on. We as humans don't like to stay down too long.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk