Forum Description: Discuss whatever.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10077
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Products That You Miss
Posted By: Moochamoocha
Subject: Products That You Miss
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:19pm
In the spirit of DarkFather's Things You Never See Anymore thread, I was wondering about the certain products that you used to love that are no longer with us. Here's Mooch list of products that she misses...

- Kellogg's Chocolate Frosted Flakes (WHY they took this off the market is beyond me!)
- Planters Cheese Balls (the ones that came in the canister)
- PB Crisps, also from Planters (these were peanut shaped cracker-type things with peanut butter inside them)
- Freakies cereal
- The original Bar None candy bar that came in the brown wrapper (NOT the inferior one in the yellow wrapper with caramel in it)
- Purplesaurus Rex Kool-Aid

What products do you guys miss?

-------------
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Synesthesia
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:26pm
CHOCOBLISS.
Man, Bar None was good. I miss that. If I like something, they get rid of it.

-------------
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog

Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:42pm
Life Savers used to come in many flavors.  Now, they seem to have been reduced to the most popular, the most typical.

I used to like the Choco-Mint ones.

I see they also had flavors such as licorice, violet, anise, blackberry and cola.  I think these were before my time, though.

Posted By: msmadz
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:57pm
Quisp Cereal (ok and Quake but I liked the shape of Qusip better)

Kellogg's Danish Go Rounds

Does anyone remember "Skake-A-Pudding?"

Jello Pudding Pops (mentioned, I believe by Dark Father in another thread).

Big Buddy bubble gum

* fruit, milk and meat that tasted like fruit, milk and meat* (but I digress)

-------------
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Posted By: regulus
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:00pm
I remember SHAKE-A-PUDDING. It was one of those "Here one day, gone the next" Products.

Watching my Sky King DVDs, they always start with a Commercial from Nabisco. Anybody seen a Package of CHIPEROONS Lately?

How about eating a bowl of SIR GRAPEFELLOW Cerial? LOL

When was the last time you saw Kids BEGGING their Mothers to let them pick out a Toy from the ARKIN A-OK Toy Rack in the Grocery Store? Cry

-------------
Poiuyt Power!!!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:14pm
I don't remember Shake-a-Pudding, but I remember Great Shakes milk shakes.  They came out when food companies really began marketing to the teen demographic.  Other groovy teen-oriented food products were Purple Passion soda and Screaming Yellow Zonkers,  

My guess is that this stuff was really just some thinner pudding mix.

Posted By: Yutolia
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:44pm
Bottle caps. The last time I asked about those the guy's response had something to do with a time machine and a retro candy aisle (and it had a very sarcastic tone, but thankfully I don't remember it exactly!)

-------------
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't remember Shake-a-Pudding, but I remember Great Shakes milk shakes.  They came out when food companies really began marketing to the teen demographic.  Other groovy teen-oriented food products were Purple Passion soda and Screaming Yellow Zonkers,  

My guess is that this stuff was really just some thinner pudding mix.

OMG Yes - I rememer these - we used to fight over who would get to use the cup (long after the shakes were gone) - we thought the "cup"  was cool. Brown bottom, tan cap. LOL

Another stroll down memory lane - Does anyone remember "Chicken Delight"  The commercial went like "Don't cook tonight call Chicken Delihjt"  Man, that was some good fried chicken.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Another stroll down memory lane - Does anyone remember "Chicken Delight"  The commercial went like "Don't cook tonight call Chicken Delihjt"  Man, that was some good fried chicken.

Yep.  Never had it, but I remember the one near me was located in a little Rahway, NJ strip mall, right next to H.I.S. Jeans---for the now fit, the wow fit, go H.I.S., H.I.S.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:55pm
Madawee, I remember Jell-O Pudding Pops, but do you remember their Gelatin Pops, as well? I used to love getting those at the supermarket during the summer.

Speaking of pops, anyone remember a product called Wyler's Fruit Slush? That was something my mother would buy for us back in the 80's and I loved it.

There was a restaurant here in NYC (don't know if it was anywhere else) called Bun 'N' Burger that made the BEST cheddar cheeseburgers. When we used to go to Kings Plaza for shopping, we would beg our mother to take us there. Their food was to die for but, alas, they went out of business in the late 80's.

Speaking of stores that went out of business, I miss the Warner Brothers store. We used to go there all the time and come out with bags of stuff, mainly clothes. Most of the clothes that I got there are now threadbare and ripped and sadly irreplaceable.

-------------

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:41pm
These things.....

Apparently they still make them, but I can't find them in the grocery stores around here to save my life.

I like to bake up a box of them, a box of Totino's pizza rolls & a bunch of tater tots equal in number to the total of both. Then alternate.... one egg roll & tater tot, one pizza roll & tater tot, repeat until finished.

Yum.

Tongue 

-------------
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States

Posted By: Tiz
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:48pm

Posted By: Hootman
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:58pm
Keebler's Penguin cookies.

Posted By: DARK FATHER
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Bottle caps. The last time I asked about those the guy's response had something to do with a time machine and a retro candy aisle (and it had a very sarcastic tone, but thankfully I don't remember it exactly!)
Those things are ALL OVER the place in South Carolina.  They come in movie candy size boxes and my kids love them.  If you call the Wonka Candy Company they will tell you who has them in your area.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:09pm
Funny Face drink mix
Kool Aid Sharkelberry Fin flavor mix
Nabisco Famous Cookie variety mix box (had the Kettle Cookies in it)
The roast beef specialty sandwich at Burger King in the early 1980s
The pizza burger at Burger King in the early 1980s
The taco burger at Burger King in the early 1980s

Posted By: MrTim
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:16pm
There used to be ice cream bars shaped like Christmas trees, stars, etc.  Haven't seen those in ages.
I REALLY miss the original formula 7-up.  The lemony-lime cat piss they sell now is pathetic....

-------------
http://mrtim1k.blogspot.com/ - WKRP closing theme lyrics HERE!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:52pm
OMG, I remember Cheese Tid-Bit crackers and Kool Aid's Sharkleberry Finn! I miss those, too.

I also miss...
- Nabisco's Giggles cookies (chocolate cream sandwich cookies that had funny faces on them)
- Kleenex Ka-Choos tissues for kids
- Nabisco Quackers crackers (cheese crackers in the shape of a duck; my brother used to eat those as if they were going out of style)
- Fat Frog and Bubble O'Bill ice cream pops from Good Humor
- Kellogg's Nut and Honey Crunch cereal

I agree with you, MrTim about the old 7-Up. The new on tastes too much like Sierra Mist, which tastes like swamp water. I don't even buy it anymore. Plus, is it just me or don't Twinkies taste different from the way they used to? They used to have a nice sponge cake texture and taste; nowadays it tastes fake and plastic-y.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:29am
And lest we forget probably the two greatest cereals that ever existed!

Posted By: PaWolf
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 5:38am
Cry

Shocked
Big smile
http://www.fizzies.com/default.html - http://www.fizzies.com/default.html

-------------
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 1:54pm
Mooch - speaking of stores, let's have a moment of silence for:

Korvettes

John Wannamaker's

Gimbles

B Altmans

Orbachs

A&S  (Abraham and Straus)

G Fox

and (wipes away tears streaming down face) Woolworth's.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
Also raise a glass to the memory of Lampston's,  TSS, Trader Horn, Consumers and Mays. These stores used to be staples in my young life. I remember my sisters and I looking forward to the Consumers' Holiday Magic Christmas catalogue every November to look at all the toys we would ask for. I got many a Barbie doll from that store (thanks Momma Mooch Wink).

I also miss

- The old McDonald's Chicken McNuggets (the ones with dark and white meat )
- Calyppo and Ice Stripes ice pops from Good Humor
- The original Garbage Pail Kids cards that came with the hard, gum-cutting piece of gum
- The old Fisher-Price Little People...you know, the ones that looked like this

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 7:54pm
Mooch, my NY friend - let's no dismiss:

Schrafft's

Horn & Hardart

The Automat

Chock Full O' Nuts (the best donuts and date nut sandwiches!)

I also miss Marathon candy bars.
Z Cavarrici pants
Rush (not the rock and roll band... I'm sure some of you will know this product).

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

These things.....

Apparently they still make them, but I can't find them in the grocery stores around here to save my life.

I like to bake up a box of them, a box of Totino's pizza rolls & a bunch of tater tots equal in number to the total of both. Then alternate.... one egg roll & tater tot, one pizza roll & tater tot, repeat until finished.

Yum.

Tongue 

Bad news Jim. I called the La Choy comapny and found that these were discontinued back in 2007.  bummer, cause I like them too.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm

Chock Full O' Nuts (the best donuts and date nut sandwiches!)

That reminded me of one---Thomas's Date Nut Bread.  It was almost like a cake.  Excellent with cream cheese on it.  "Thomas's promises"

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:55pm
Fotomat and Fox Photo Kiosks at various Shopping Centers.

America's Most Wanted had an article about the CEO of Fotomat, he was involved in an Investment Scan, did they ever catch him?

-------------
Poiuyt Power!!!

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:03pm
Pals Vitamins!

-------------

Posted By: MrCleveland
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

- The old Fisher-Price Little People...you know, the ones that looked like this

I do too...now they made them wider and they don't look memoriable anymore.Cry

I also miss Twix Cookies and Creme and Chocolate Fudge. (They came out in the early 90's).

I also miss Crystal Pepsi, especially their commercial for it....

-------------
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 12:28am
I was once watching a TV Special on "The Greatest Business FAILURES of the 20th Century" and Crystal Pepsi got the NUMBER ONE SLOT!

Pepsi lost more money on it than Ford lost on their "Edsel" (Which was the No. 2 Failure according to the Show). Dead

-------------
Poiuyt Power!!!

Posted By: ThreadKiller
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:46am

Pals Vitamins!

I never took Pals, but the song from the commercials was burned into my brain...

We're your pals
Pals are we
In the vitamin vita-men-a-ger-ie...

-------------
Hundreds of threads killed.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:51am
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

I also miss Crystal Pepsi...

I could never understand why Crystal Pepsi didn't make it. I liked it and kept it in the house as long as it was around. Unlike New Coke, it actually tasted good, and it seemed more refreshing when I was thirsty. This was probably all psychological, though, since it looked like water.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:09am

These things.....

Yum.

Tongue 

Let me guess...your doctor had you on a low-sodium diet? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:23am

...and (wipes away tears streaming down face) Woolworth's.

I'll never forget the old Woolworth's on Main Street in Bloomsburg, PA, where I lived as a kid. It had wood floors, the old white-globe lights hanging on chains from the ceiling, and one of those old-fashioned candy departments in the center, with glass cases on all four sides filled with chocolates, penny candy, candy bars, nuts, fresh roasted peanuts, and fresh popcorn. All that aroma permeated everything in the store, and you could smell it as soon as you stepped in the front door.

Nothing else on Earth will ever smell like that Woolworth's. It closed in the early 1970s but as I sit here and close my eyes, I can still remember that aroma. Mmmmmm.

After we'd moved to the Harrisburg area, we'd go to the big new J. C. Penney's at the mall, where they also had a big candy department. But they had white linoleum floors, bright lights, and modern fixtures. Just not the same.

-------------

Posted By: Christine
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 3:31am
Cheese Tid-Bits!! Forgot about those 'til now!

Original Fisher-Price People- loved those. Miss them!

Graham Crack-Os cereal. They looked like traffic lights- little oblong things with holes in 'em, if I remember correctly.

Bottle Caps are still out there, just harder to find. You have to go to a specialty/retro candy store. Love those too!!

Woolworth's used to have this flourescent green lime drink that was sooooo good. Sigh.

In more recent history: Napster, if you can call that a product. I had around 800 songs in my collection. None of which I would've purchased otherwise, so it wasn't hurting the music industry.

Also the Handspring Visor PDA, the generic form of Palm Pilot. It was great! Very handy. Totally outdated now, but back then, I was nuts for it.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 7:43am
Wonka DinoSour Eggs candy 
Wonka Squid candy
Banana Splits candy is still around but HARD to find.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

...and (wipes away tears streaming down face) Woolworth's.

I'll never forget the old Woolworth's on Main Street in Bloomsburg, PA, where I lived as a kid. It had wood floors, the old white-globe lights hanging on chains from the ceiling, and one of those old-fashioned candy departments in the center, with glass cases on all four sides filled with chocolates, penny candy, candy bars, nuts, fresh roasted peanuts, and fresh popcorn. All that aroma permeated everything in the store, and you could smell it as soon as you stepped in the front door.

My favorite part of the Woolworth's we used to go to when I was a kid, was the big wide wood stairway leading to the second floor.  They also had some hokey little elevator somewhere in the corner of the store, but no one ever bothered with it.

And yeah---the smell.  Probably a combo of food and perfume and detergent and everything else, in a store that was one huge room with low ceilings (as compared to today's big box stores) and probably poor circulation.  It was unique.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:21pm
Speaking of elevators...I remember one big department store my parents used to take me to, that had an actual elevator operator running the elevator.  From inside, the front of the elevator was a metal gate that the operator opened and closed.  The thing moved at a snail's pace, as I recall.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:29pm

Speaking of elevators...I remember one big department store my parents used to take me to, that had an actual elevator operator running the elevator.  From inside, the front of the elevator was a metal gate that the operator opened and closed.  The thing moved at a snail's pace, as I recall.

My college had one of those. City University of NY at Baruch (CUNY) on 23rd street - imagine between classes and tons of kids waiting for 2 elevators? I used to take the stairs and I had classes on the 9th and 18th floors. I'd get to class and my legs would be noodles! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:32pm
There was a soda called Tahitian Punch - I think from Canada Dry.  It was like a carbonated Hawaiin Punch!

They also had a root beer with a bear on the can. I think it was called Frostee but I may be wrong. I vaguely remember the can.

Both were good sodas. Both are missed.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:59pm

There was a soda called Tahitian Punch - I think from Canada Dry.  It was like a carbonated Hawaiin Punch!

They also had a root beer with a bear on the can. I think it was called Frostee but I may be wrong. I vaguely remember the can.

Are you thinking of Tahitian Treat?.  I swear I still see that stuff.  Maybe not.

Here's the root beer you mentioned:

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 3:39pm

Are you thinking of Tahitian Treat?.  I swear I still see that stuff.  Maybe not.

Here's the root beer you mentioned:

Yes! Tahitian TREAT.  AND YES - that's the root beer. Thanks, Thor. It's cmforting to know I haven't completely lost my marbles! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 6:08pm
When I was about 3 or 4, I was with my mother and grandmother at a local department store.  It had just installed the first "non-person operator" elevator in town.

When the doors opened, I ran into the elevator and the doors quickly shut with me alone inside.  It started moving and I guess I started screaming.  The doors finally opened after what seemed like an eternity (probable 20 seconds) and two women were confronted with a little boy screaming for his mommy.

Of course, they got on and took me back to the first floor and all was fine.  '

To this day, I do not like elevators.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm
I remember Tahitian Treat! I used to drink that like water whenever my grandfather used to buy it.

Madawee, my oldest sister went to Baruch. She never mentioned the elevators having operators in them. Then again, she graduated in 2004 so things might have changed since you were there.

More stuff I miss...
- Zips and L.A Gear sneakers
- Bonbons ice cream
- Pink Panther juice boxes (they NEVER sold this in NYC; I always got it when my family went supermarket shopping in New Jersey)
- Cabbage Patch Kids cereal
- Sunkist Fruit Snacks

There was a pizzeria close to my childhood home in Brooklyn called Jennie's Pizzeria that made excellent pizza. They went out of business when I started high school in 1993 and I've missed them ever since. Are there any local businesses that you miss, as well?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 7:12pm
Mooch, my Baruch years were 1982 - 1986.

I did 2 years at Westchester Community College (1980- 82) then Baruch, taking a year off,  then finishing up at night. Hence the 6 years.

I'm sure these are still around but I haven't had one/seen them in ages - Chunky candy bars.

-------------

Posted By: MrCleveland
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I was once watching a TV Special on "The Greatest Business FAILURES of the 20th Century" and Crystal Pepsi got the NUMBER ONE SLOT!

Pepsi lost more money on it than Ford lost on their "Edsel" (Which was the No. 2 Failure according to the Show). Dead

Speaking of Epic Fail Products...

I also miss The Arch Deluxe.

I had one 15 years ago and that was one hell of a burger...and I was 13 when I had it!

Looks like Grown-ups were turned-off with that burger even more!

-------------
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:07pm
I don't think any of our Woolworths had a second story. My favorite one was at the beach where we went for summer vacation. It was in a little strip mall. Bro & I went for the comics section while the rest of the family did whatever.
A couple shops down was a Highs Ice Cream parlor.

Posted By: Ad nauseous
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:44am
Teddy Grahams those were good

-------------
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off

Posted By: Hezadancer
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:57am
Tahitian Treat still exists. It's abundant in Ohio and still sickeningly sweet and red. It's good stuff but one can will do you a while.

-------------
It's ok, I'm in marketing!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Tahitian Treat still exists. It's abundant in Ohio and still sickeningly sweet and red. It's good stuff but one can will do you a while.

Thanks for verifying that.  I thought I'd seen it not too long ago, but at my age, "not too long ago" can be 1991.  LOL

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Teddy Grahams those were good
I still see them around! And yes, they are good.
Do they still make Scooter Pies? I would do cartwheels when I spotted one of them in my lunch bag! LOL
(We called them Poor People's Mallowmars).

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:51pm
Mad, those were made by the Burry Biscuit Co., weren't they?  I think they were regional.  Mention Scooter Pies or Burry Biscuits out here in CA, and no one will know what you're talking about.  Same with Drake's Cakes and Tastycakes.  And Cheez Doodles??  They'd think you're wackadoodles. 

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 4:32pm
Oh Thor, I am so sorry to hear about your lack of some of the finest snacks on earth.

No Cheez Doodles? That's downright sacreligious.

Would you like me to send you a care package? I can include Jax and Devil Dogs.

*** You know what I miss? Cherry Sucrets and Band Aids that came in the tin boxes.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:14pm
I love Devil Dogs!  Whenever I visit my family, we have to go to the Shop-Rite to pick up a few boxes.

And Band-Aids no longer come in tin boxes??  My Band-Aids are in that tin box.  Of course, now that I think of it, I think I bought them in the 80s.  I guess I don't use Band-Aids much.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 6:03am
Back in the early 1980s (or late 1970s) the Little Debbie cake company had a snack called Cherry Bars.  They were dough rolled around cherry filling, flattened, and were glazed on top with white icing.  They were sold in the typical Little Debbie boxes and came two in a cellophane package.  This was probably the BEST thing that Little Debbie ever produced, but they went the way of the dodo (who discontinued them) a LONG time ago.  I could find NOTHING about them on the internet either.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by DARK FATHER DARK FATHER wrote:

Back in the early 1980s (or late 1970s) the Little Debbie cake company had a snack called Cherry Bars.  They were dough rolled around cherry filling, flattened, and were glazed on top with white icing.  They were sold in the typical Little Debbie boxes and came two in a cellophane package.  This was probably the BEST thing that Little Debbie ever produced, but they went the way of the dodo (who discontinued them) a LONG time ago.  I could find NOTHING about them on the internet either.

Hmmmm...sounds good, but I'd go with the Little Debbie banana cakes---the ones with two slices of cake and cream in the middle.  To me, they're almost as good as Hostess Orange Cupcakes. 

Haven't had either in years.  Cry

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:40pm
My favorite Little Debbie snacks are these...

and these.....

These are something new....

Can't wait to give em a try!!! Tongue

-------------
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:09pm
I miss the McDonald's cherry pies.

McDonald's used to have a raspberry danish that was pure sugar but I loved them, too.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they still have their chocolate chip cookies? (I worked there decadses ago so I'm taking a stroll down Memory Lane).

-------------

Posted By: timdubya
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:16pm

Hmmmm...sounds good, but I'd go with the Little Debbie banana cakes---the ones with two slices of cake and cream in the middle.  To me, they're almost as good as Hostess Orange Cupcakes. 

Haven't had either in years.  Cry

They're probably Banana Twins.  Another Little Debbie cake I used to eat but they don't make anymore is the Devil Twins.  Devil Squares do not taste the same, and the closest I can get to the old Devil Twins now is the new cake-like Oreos.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 7:09pm
Yep!  Banana Twins.

Those blueberry ones look good.

I wonder why Little Debbie never advertises.  Maybe it's because their stuff doesn't have that all-important crunch.  Nor does it contain any full servings of vegetables.  No bran, either.  Just pure, delicious crap!

Actually, I might respond better to such advertisement.  "Nope.  Nothing good in our products.  Just total crap.  White flour, lard, artificial flavoring, lotsa lotsa sugar, and who knows what the hell else.  But sooooo good!  You'll probably wanna eat the whole box!  Your kids will, too!"

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 10:07pm
I don't think Little Debbie or Hostess advertises.  I miss Tastykake and Dolly Madison.
Dolly Madison sponsored those Charlie Brown specials back in the day.

Posted By: smittykins
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 2:14pm
Zingers are still around, though I think they're made by Hostess now.  I used to peel the frosting off and eat that first.  [small voice]And I still do.[/sv]

Remember the "Zinger Zapper"?

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm
Hostess also bought those Merita Sweet 16 powderd doughnuts that come in the white bags.  I have not seen any Dolly Madison items in YEARS.  The Hostess blueberry pies were the best one they ever made but I never see that flavor anymore.  I stopped buying the Hostess cherry pies too because the dough crust shell is 1/3 full of AIR and the other 2/3 is dried cherry filling.  They used to be full and juicy.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:08pm
I miss Spaghetti Os that actually taste good.  Even before Campbells bought them from Franco American they have tasted like either METAL or BLOOD for years now.  They used to have a sweet taste to them, but they are Spaghetti Os in name ONLY now.  These are NOT what I grew up with.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:33pm
I miss sports before they became big business with rules.

I miss tv shows that you would expect commercials at the quarter & half hour 

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I miss tv shows that you would expect commercials at the quarter & half hour 
The other day I was watching a DVD of a 1960s TV Show that had it's original Commercials INTACT. The show would break for ONE Commercial, which was the Sponsor of the Show (In this case it was Kraft, and I actually wrote down some recipies mentioned from those Commercials!), then return to the Program. There were five such breaks, the first was at the end of the Opening Theme, then three at 15, 30 and 45 minutes into the show and one before the "Preview" for next weeks show, which was followed by the credits. The total length of the show, 57 Minutes. (I presume the Three Minutes remaining were for Local Commercials and Promos). The Commercials were presented to you in an informative manner, and in no way were insulting or offensive.  It's a far cry from what's tossed at us these days. Cry

-------------
Poiuyt Power!!!

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 2:01am

I wonder why Little Debbie never advertises.  Maybe it's because their stuff doesn't have that all-important crunch.  Nor does it contain any full servings of vegetables.  No bran, either.  Just pure, delicious crap!

Thor, I'm pretty sure I've seen Little Debbie ads from time to time...none recently though. They ran a series of ads several years ago (could be many years ago) with a little jingle at the end--Little Debbie (bum bum) Has a snack for you!

They don't really need to advertise though, these things sell themselves. I worked in an office building about ten years ago where the coffee/snack bar sold only Little Debbie snack cakes. The route guy was in there 2-3 times each week stocking the shelves.

My two favorites were the Honey Bun (spiral-shaped sticky danish with a white sugar glaze) and Coffee Twins (two rectangle-shaped cake donut things with a hard sugar glaze).

And oatmeal cream pies!!!Smile Man, those things are the crack cocaine of snack cakes. My son and I can polish off a box in one night.

Several years back they started selling jumbo-size OCPs--about 4-5" across as I recall, with very thick cream filling. Haven't seen those lately, but I'm gonna check.

I don't mean to play favorites, thought...my snack cake umbrella is broad enough to take in all varieties of Little Debbies!!! LOLThumbs Up I'm gonna get me some of those blueberry ones next trip to the store.

-------------

Posted By: DirtyD79
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:39am

Life Savers used to come in many flavors.  Now, they seem to have been reduced to the most popular, the most typical.

I used to like the Choco-Mint ones.

I see they also had flavors such as licorice, violet, anise, blackberry and cola.  I think these were before my time, though.

I miss the orange and the lemon flavor Jolly Ranchers.Unhappy I also wish they'd bring back Crystal Pepsi.

-------------
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:49pm
When did Jolly Ranchers do away with orange and lemon flavor?!?!

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 3:14pm
They stopped making Tootsie Pops in lemon, too, which was one of my favorites because you had the sour of the lemon with the sweet of the tootsie roll.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 3:48pm

They stopped making Tootsie Pops in lemon, too, which was one of my favorites because you had the sour of the lemon with the sweet of the tootsie roll.

At least they still have orange.  Orange and chocolate's a great combo.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 4:38pm

At least they still have orange.  Orange and chocolate's a great combo.

The Dollar Tree I shop at has milk chocolate bars with orange creme filling.

Yowza!!!!

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 6:43pm
Seen 'em.  But I prefer those milk chocolate-orange "oranges" (the ones that you break into wedges).

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 7:37pm
Yes, orange and chocolate are a fantatsic combo.

I still miss my lemon pops, though!

Does anyone remember when Ring Dings were the size of a bar stool, were wrapped in foil and had more of a darker chocolate "ganache"  to them? Boy, I mis them. Actually, Yodels were wrapped in foil, too.  Blue and Silver.

-------------

Posted By: bwestfall
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:19pm
God, there are so many.  Some standouts over the years:

Pizza hut Romano Cheese dressing (1980s)--best dressing I have ever had.

Carnation powered chocolate malt mix--I think it is still made, just not where I live; this stuff beats the crap out of Ovaltine for taste.  Great to make chocolate malts (ice cream), too.

Pepperedge Farm pepperoni pizza (90s)--it was make on these long, twisted crusty bread and man, were they good.

Hostess Suzy Q's (90s)--you know the 2 pack of rectangular soft cakes with white fluffly icing inside (like a sandwich)

I used to think that it was only me and a few other people who went through the "I like it so that will stop making/carrying it" syndrome.  Know I know we all suffer through itSmile, although it still "chaps my hide."  He**, I end up going to about 5 different grocery stores right now in order to get all of the stuff I like to eat on a regular basis.

-------------
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:20pm
Oh, I just remembered, the real Orange Crush, Grape Crush, AND Strawberry Crush.  I don't think they make strawberry anymore and that's the one I liked to pour on ice cream to make a float.

-------------
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Carnation powered chocolate malt mix--I think it is still made, just not where I live; this stuff beats the crap out of Ovaltine for taste.  Great to make chocolate malts (ice cream), too.

Hostess Suzy Q's (90s)--you know the 2 pack of rectangular soft cakes with white fluffly icing inside (like a sandwich)

The Carnation malt mix was being sold here...at least when I bought a jar about 8 years ago.  It killed me to throw out what was left last year, but it had all caked rock solid.  But you reminded me of the reason I bought it in the first place---to make malted milk shakes because Walgreen's Malted Ice Cream seemed to no longer exist.  There's some other brand that makes malted ice cream, but it's got candy bits in it, which I can't stand.

Suzy Qs gave you the most bang for your buck.  I think the "cream" was pure vanilla-flavored lard.  I remember it actually being hard to wash off my hands.

Posted By: smittykins
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by smittykins smittykins wrote:

Zingers are still around, though I think they're made by Hostess now.  I used to peel the frosting off and eat that first.  [small voice]And I still do.[/sv]

Remember the "Zinger Zapper"?

According to Wikipedia, Dolly Madison and Hostess are both owned by Interstate Bakeries Corporation, so...six of one, a half-dozen of the other. Smile

And I saw Suzy-Qs in one of the vending machines at work earlier this week, so they're definitely still around.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:12am

Oh, I just remembered, the real Orange Crush, Grape Crush, AND Strawberry Crush.  I don't think they make strawberry anymore and that's the one I liked to pour on ice cream to make a float.
All these Crush flavors still exist here.  Including strawberry.  Crush had a cherry and a lime flavor not long ago but I never see those now.  I miss the FROSTIE drinks.  My favorite flavor was the cherry-lime and I never see it now.  They also had cream soda and root beer.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:48am
I like the Carnation malt mix because it is(was) like a DQ malted.  However, for several years now they can't seem to teach their workers what it is and how to make it properly.  As for the Hostess products, I grew up about 45 minutes from St. Louis and at that time Hostess was made by Continental Bakery which was headquartered at St.Lo.  Interstate bought out Continental in 1995.  (IMHO) And I beg to differ Dolley Madison is no Hostess.  D.M. always seem to be drier and compacted.  Suzy Q cakes are like real cake texture and the filling oozed out of the cake when you bit into it.

While i'm on this, I just remembered that Hostess had a blueberry fruit pie that was wonderful but they don't make it anymore.  Its hard to find the peach flavor.  I love blueberry and it seems to be hard to find any baked goods/snack stuff in blueberry; guess its because they are so expensive.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:10am

Hostess also bought those Merita Sweet 16 powderd doughnuts that come in the white bags.  I have not seen any Dolly Madison items in YEARS.  The Hostess blueberry pies were the best one they ever made but I never see that flavor anymore.  I stopped buying the Hostess cherry pies too because the dough crust shell is 1/3 full of AIR and the other 2/3 is dried cherry filling.  They used to be full and juicy.
I had mentioned this earlier too.  Those WERE the best!  I suppose the price of blueberries may have contributed to their demise.  I have not seen the peach flavors in at least 25 years or so.  Due to the high content of AIR in these I do not even bother to buy them.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:49am
Yeah, I live near Greensboro, NC, shop there alot.  I found the peach in a quik-trip type store about a year ago.  I am sure it is good not to be able to buy them because the shortening was probably pure lard
LOL

-------------

Posted By: The Random Classic
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:33am
I used to miss the Crispy M&Ms...

Until I tried the new Pretzel M&Ms not too long ago, it's not EXACTLY the same, but they're still pretty darn good.

I'm happy they still make the Peanut Butter M&Ms... Those will ALWAYS be my favorite. Smile

-------------
Commercials I Hate Rules!!!!

"Why does Godzilla care about subway?"-Hezadancer

"Cats are animals.Their brains are the size of Milk Duds."-Kat

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:08pm

You just reminded me of another long ago product. Does anyone remeber PDQ drink mix? It came in chocolate and egg nog flavors. They were almost like little beads you mixed with milk.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:40pm

The Carnation malt mix was being sold here...at least when I bought a jar about 8 years ago.  It killed me to throw out what was left last year, but it had all caked rock solid.

You couldve broken it up into chunks by stabbing it several times with a butter knife, then put the cunks into a blender & re-powder-ized it.

OR.... you coulda just filled the jar up with milk & let it dissolve into a jar of concentrated, malted milk which you could've then poured into a larger conatiner & diluted with more milk.

And then drank it.

But you didn't.

You just wasted that perfectly good malted milk mix.

Now, all you can do is think of what might've been. Cry

Such sorrow.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:42pm

You just reminded me of another long ago product. Does anyone remeber PDQ drink mix? It came in chocolate and egg nog flavors. They were almost like little beads you mixed with milk.

We've had a long discussion or two about PDQ around here before.

And it was universally decided that we ALL miss that product.

I used to sprinkle it on vanilla ice cream.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:06pm

The Carnation malt mix was being sold here...at least when I bought a jar about 8 years ago.  It killed me to throw out what was left last year, but it had all caked rock solid.

You couldve broken it up into chunks by stabbing it several times with a butter knife, then put the cunks into a blender & re-powder-ized it.

OR.... you coulda just filled the jar up with milk & let it dissolve into a jar of concentrated, malted milk which you could've then poured into a larger conatiner & diluted with more milk.

I tried dissolving a chunk in hot water.  It wouldn't.  I also tried smashing the chunks into tiny chunks.  The stuff just wouldn't dissolve.  It turned into a clump of tiny malt granules at the bottom of a glass.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:10pm
Hershey's came out with a Cookies and Mint candy bar a few years ago. I LOVED it but alas, they no longer make it. They just make the Cookies and Creme one which I abhor because I don't like white chocolate.

Speaking of chocolate, I also miss Nestle Crunch nuggets that had peanut butter in it. When I was younger, I used to spread peanut butter on my Nestle Crunch bars. Imagine my surprise and happiness when they came out with it.

Does anyone here remember the crunchy Reese's peanut butter cups that came in a dark brown wrapper? My mother used to let us get it every Saturday after dance classes when she took us to Lampston's (an old drug store that I sorely miss). They had all the good candy that we couldn't find anywhere else.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:29pm

I tried dissolving a chunk in hot water.  It wouldn't.  I also tried smashing the chunks into tiny chunks.  The stuff just wouldn't dissolve.  It turned into a clump of tiny malt granules at the bottom of a glass.

Maybe you should've turned to power tools.

Maybe an electric drill with a wood boring bit.

-------------

C'mon, man!

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 7:06pm

Does anyone here remember the crunchy Reese's peanut butter cups that came in a dark brown wrapper? My mother used to let us get it every Saturday after dance classes when she took us to Lampston's (an old drug store that I sorely miss). They had all the good candy that we couldn't find anywhere else.
OMG Mooch, yes, Lampston's. I loved that store.

They went the way of the old Ben Franklin store in town. Cry

I fondly remember the Kit Kat dark chocolate bars. They didn't last long but they were delicious.

I want a time machine that will take me back to a Rexall with a lunch counter so I can order a choclate egg cream and then go to the Five and Dime and look at Colorforms while my mom looked for socks on a wooden counter with cubbies separating the merchandise.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 7:41pm

Maybe you should've turned to power tools.

Maybe an electric drill with a wood boring bit.

I was thinking of sanding it down with maybe 50-grit sandpaper, but then I figured I might be getting some roughage I didn't ask for.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 10:39pm

Different flavored pops shaped as spaceships.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 3:33am
Oh, that's a spaceship.....

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:23am
I wonder if that Red Rocket will penetrate the air space of Uranus?

Posted By: Ad Endless Nauseum
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 10:47am
The LifeSavers makers, about ten years ago, came out with some really good hard candy called CremeSavers, in various flavors: Strawberries and Creme, Peaches and Creme, Chocolate and Cream, Caramel and Creme, Mango, Coconut, Pina Colada, and others I can't remember. The flavors were mostly natural, not artificial. I can't find them anywhere now. Cry

-------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:48pm
I remember those!  I have not seen them either.  Lifesavers also once had suckers that were giant Lifesavers on a stick in the 1980s.  They had my favorite flavor which was blueberries and cream!  Long gone!

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:47pm
Maalox used to have a lemon-creme tablet that was pretty darned tasty.

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 3:47am
I wouldn't say this one is "Missed" but when was the last time you saw a BLACK & WHITE TV Set for sale? LOL

-------------
Poiuyt Power!!!

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:16am

- Kellogg's Nut and Honey Crunch cereal

Kellogg's has a new cereal out called Crunchy Nut. It's basically Nut and Honey Crunch under a different name. It tastes just like it. I'm addicted to this stuff now.

-------------

Posted By: Ad Endless Nauseum
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:28am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I wouldn't say this one is "Missed" but when was the last time you saw a BLACK & WHITE TV Set for sale? LOL

I saw some BW Sony Watchman handhelds for sale on Ebay. Wink But even they must now have a digital converter to work these days.

You can find the real old ones sometimes, almost entirely being purchased by hobbyists that buy and restore them, such as I do with very old tube radios and even older pocket watches and such.

Folks that do this build themselves a low power TV transmitter that they attach to a VCR or other source, to broadcast an analog signal to their antique TVs. I do this with my old radios, sometimes, and play recordings of radio shows from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Like the original broadcast of War of the Worlds.

-------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.

Posted By: Grant
Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 4:47am
I've said it on other threads but I'll repeat it - Sprint candy bars. Which were identical to Kit Kats, but were rectangular instead of square. And no one can convince me that that rectangle didn't have a flavor all its own!
The same with Caravelle bars - one of a zillion chocolate / caramel / tiny Rice Krispies candies, but I could swear nothing tasted quite like them. I still can't look at a Mounds or Almond Joy without missing them (since they were made by the same company, and came it two pieces).

Posted By: SeanyGenovese
Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:27am
Sprite Remix. The grape flavor was like drinking Skittles. I loved you so, but you left... Cry

-------------
Conforming To Abnormality

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk