Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pepsi Throwback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pepsi Throwback
    Posted: 24 May 2009 at 2:14am
I'm really getting sick and tired of seeing this one.

Disco-dancing girls with afros, bright colors and shapes, are all bad enough. But the song. Oh, the song! It's even worse! It's one of those songs where the people sound like they are screaming (or screeching in this case) instead of singing.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 2:32am
All for brown, carbonated sugar water.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:51am
The song reminds me of one of the Soul Train themes.  The one that goes doo-doo doo-doo-doo-doo doo doo doooo, let's get it onnnnnn, it's time to get dowown

Please, no doo-doo jokes.  LOL

ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 5:37am
I know what you mean! I think that's the look they're trying to achieve with this commercial, albeit in a completely obnoxious way.
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 1:37pm
i'm willing to ignore a bad commercial if they're making pop with sugar again instead of HFCS!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

i'm willing to ignore a bad commercial if they're making pop with sugar again instead of HFCS!

Well, you'd better stock up.  The stuff will no longer be available in about two weeks!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 3:28pm
I finally tried it once.

Wasn't impressed.

Tastes like brown, fizzy sugar water.

I actually like the HFCS stuff better.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 3:36pm
I tried it.  It didn't seem to have much cola flavor.  I'd like to see Coke put out a natural sugar version, and then compare the two.

Problem is, I find the no-cal, artificially sweetened colas to taste better than anything else.  Diet-Rite's my favorite.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 3:43pm
Yep, no cola flavor at all.

I was going to say the same thing about the Coke, too.

I'd rather pee in my mouth than drink diet soda. Tried it for awhile, but just couldn't stand it anymore after awhile.

Diet root beer seems to be the best bet. The strong root beer flavor covers up the artificial sweetner flavor.

Diet lemon-lime isn't too bad, either.

All diet colas suckblow.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:00pm
Have you ever tried Jarrito's?  Lotta flavor, lotta sugar (the real stuff), lotta coloring.  I recommend lime and orange.  Good stuff.  So sweet, you'll practically cringe.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:17pm
I don't like overly sweet.

The reason I like Coke is that it has that "caramelly" after taste.

Sweet, but not too sweet.

Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:22pm
lol I live on diet pop. it's an acquired taste I guess. like beer.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:25pm
I drink about 4 cans a day.

When he was getting off of alcohol in his early twenties, Bobcat Goldthwait was going through a case of diet soda every day.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:30pm
That stuff has got to be bad for you.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:39pm
No evidence of that.  Unlike regular soda. 

sharonite View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharonite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 10:50pm
I don't think I'll be investing in what I've come to refer to as "Pepsi Blowback" or "Pepsi Backwash" anytime soon.
ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 5:46pm
Oooh I found the video!

I haven't tried this stuff and I have no intention of doing so - I don't drink pop (or "soda" if you're an asshole).
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

(or "soda" if you're an asshole).

Why does that make me an asshole?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by sharonite sharonite wrote:

I don't think I'll be investing in what I've come to refer to as "Pepsi Blowback" or "Pepsi Backwash" anytime soon.

"Pepsi Throw Up"?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:24pm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 11:28pm
Hmmmm...

One by one:

1.  No proof of aspartame being carcinogenic ("many people believe...").  The article had no particular complaint about Splenda (it says it doesn't break down in the body, and just "goes right through").

2.  People gain weight on diet soda.  That's just the classic "I can have this piece of chocolate cake as long as I wash it down with a diet soda" attitude.  Not the diet soda's fault; it's the chocolate cake's fault.  Of course, it's really the cake eater's fault.  I gained nearly 40 pounds while drinking diet soda.  I also lost nearly 40 pounds while drinking it.  Maybe I'll lose another 5 or 10 or gain 5 or 10, but it won't be because of the diet soda.

3.  Most of the reasons there, are reasons to not drink soda of any kind.  It mentions the presence of caffeine and sodium.  The stuff I drink has neither.  Plus, it has no calories.

4.  Never had any of the side effects of aspartame (that the article mentions) when I was drinking that soda that contained that stuff (aka Nutrasweet).  But even this article says that the AMA, the CDC, the ADA, and the FDA all say aspartame is safe (the FDA has reservations re the conversion to formaldehyde, however, which once again apparently might cause side effects that I never experienced).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 12:50am
I'm not arguing about the validity of the evidence Thor, you said there was no evidence & I just posted some links to just a few of very, very many sites/sources where there in fact, IS evidence suggesting potetial health risks of diet soda or artificial sweetners.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

2.  People gain weight on diet soda.  That's just the classic "I can have this piece of chocolate cake as long as I wash it down with a diet soda" attitude.  Not the diet soda's fault; it's the chocolate cake's fault.  Of course, it's really the cake eater's fault.  I gained nearly 40 pounds while drinking diet soda.  I also lost nearly 40 pounds while drinking it.  Maybe I'll lose another 5 or 10 or gain 5 or 10, but it won't be because of the diet soda.

I think the rationale behind that theory, is that the extreme sweetness of the diet soda  stimulates a desire to consume more sweet stuff which, unlike the diet soda, may have sugar in it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 1:25am
Ahh, yes.  I didn't see the second page in that article.  Still, it's about self-control.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 1:59am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

(or "soda" if you're an asshole).

Why does that make me an asshole?

Yeah that confused me as well. I guess he is referring to the whole "pretentiousness" or something.

But it's more about regional dialect and cultural place names.
I live in a state where it's "pop" but in california when I was a kid we called ever soft drink "cokes" regardless of brand or type.
I guess back east they say "soda", am I correct in that?

My grandpa sometimes called them tonics of "fizzy drinks" it was funny. Because he knew better and called them pop as well but he would use those old terms at times (he was born in 1906 so he was around during the heydey of soft drinks)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic