Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People drive w/ complete disregard to traffic laws
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People drive w/ complete disregard to traffic laws

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People drive w/ complete disregard to traffic laws
    Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:54am

I always thought that laws are set up so that people will obey them. But many simply chose to ignore them when they drive.

And with that, accidents occur. Many drivers do not use their turn signals when they are changing lanes or making a turn.

Also, many of them do not make complete stops at the stop signs. You can see their vehicle still rolling by slowly before their foot hit the accelerator. That is not a complete stop.

Then they drive over the speed limit while putting other motorists and pedestrians in great danger and in harm's way.

There are many others, but these are the ones that I can think of at the moment that pissed me off.

A vehicle is a deadly weapon. And people need to be more mature and attentive when handling one.

Sponsored Links

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 6:33am
Ad Slasher said:

" I always thought that laws are set up so that people will obey them."

Nope.  Here we have many people whose motto is, "The rules don't apply to me!"

People here are HORRIBLE drivers.  I can never trust other drivers to stop when their light turns red and mine turns green.  We have so many red-light runners, it's ridiculous.  Also, my big complaint is the right-turn-on-red.  As you said, Ad Slasher, people don't come to a complete stop.  But when you have a red light, you STOP.  You only go IF AND WHEN there is no traffic coming.  But these assholes just peel right out in front of you!  I can't tell you how much my blood pressure goes up when that happens!

Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 11:08am
Don't feel bad, in my city, the cops are as bad as the rest of the citizens with their lack of regard for traffic laws. 
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 2:36pm
I've seen plenty of times where people turn without using their signals.

I've also seen times where people back up fast without looking first. (most irritating)

Plenty of times where some people run the light.

and many times where people speed on the highway.

Then theres the people who drive slow as molasses.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 3:34pm
My issue with drivers is when they don't possess the ability to drive & use their cell phones at the same time.  When you're driving you need to be focused on the road.  I can't tell you how many people (including myself, so, therefore, I don't like to talk on my phone while I'm driving) are like this.  Almost every time I get to an intersection, I see so many drivers screw up their turns to proceed through the stop sign, which ends up messing up everyone else's turn.  Besides the incovenience factor, I'm surprised there aren't more accidents because of cell phone usage while driving.  And many times when I see people driving too slow, it's usually because they're either using their cell phones, are illegal immigrants (we get a lot of them here in the Houston area), they're too old to still be driving, or they're just not sure where they're going.Angry
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:13pm
A good driver has an almost innate sense of the road.  They know when to follow the rules, and when it's not as necessary.  For instance, on an empty freeway, there's no need to use one's blinker when changing lanes.  At some intersections, a full stop is unnecessary.  When everyone on the freeway is moving at 75mph, to drive 65 is a hazard that causes others to have to get around you.

Also, I've found that maintaining the proper distance between you and the car in front of you (1 car length per every 10mph) can work against safety, as road idiots see that space as an opportunity to sneak into that space.  I prefer leaving just enough distance so that no one can sneak in and cause me to have to hit my brakes.

It's all about common---or road---sense.

I've never gotten a ticket in my 35 years of driving.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:22pm
Thor,

Don't count your chickens.  I received my first ticket driving a high-performance rental car on a remote country highway last summer. I was  used to driving my minivan and did not notice that I was going too fast.

I told the state trooper that it was my first ticket after driving for almost 40 years.

He just smiled and handed me the ticket.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

...I've never gotten a ticket in my 35 years of driving.
Well, now you just jinxed yourself.  Clown
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

...I've never gotten a ticket in my 35 years of driving.
Well, now you just jinxed yourself.  Clown

I actually thought about that when I typed it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Thor,

Don't count your chickens.  I received my first ticket driving a high-performance rental car on a remote country highway last summer. I was  used to driving my minivan and did not notice that I was going too fast.

I told the state trooper that it was my first ticket after driving for almost 40 years.

He just smiled and handed me the ticket.

I DO kind of have an itchin' to get my car going over 100mph at least once.  95 is the fastest I've gone in it.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 5:39pm
There's a new law in NJ, if a driver is driving while talking on a handheld cellular they willed be ticketed and it's a $150 ticket!

One of the servers at the restaurant where I work was very pissed off last week when a cop pulled her over for chatting on her celly.

After which she attained additional tickets for not buckling her shoulder harness, and not having her registration and an updated insurance card.

Now she'll have to go to court to prove that she has both a registration and an updated insurance card.

She'll still have points put on her record, as well as have to pay an enormous fine.

She's mad because the cop initially pulled her over for her phone, and feels that it's a cause to check for additional credentials and such.

I congratulate the cop for doing his job, and wish that more people would take responsibility and turn their damned phones off when turning on their cars.
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 5:53pm
I think it's funny that some people actually get angry (rather than embarrassed or ashamed) when they're caught doing something they know is wrong.  Rather than just accepting the fact that she was wrong on so many counts, your waittress is angry at the cop for having caught her.  I'll bet she doesn't change those behaviors; she'll just be more careful in the future about not getting caught.  Some people!

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 6:37pm
Driving to school this morning, we encountered Mr. & Mrs. Retired in front of us driving 15 mph in a 30 mph zone.   Ok, so we just had to be a bit patient.  Then, they stopped at a GREEN light.  My husband leaned on the horn.  Mr. & Mrs. Retired realized the light was green and proceeded.  They then decided to make a right turn into a business - by pulling to the center line to execute the right turn.  By this time my husband's blood pressure was through the roof.   There was no eastbound traffic coming, so hubby crossed the double yellow to get away from these people before they changed their minds about the turn........LOL

I have nothing against the elderly; however, their driving skills should be checked on a yearly basis.  This couple was scary. 

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 6:52pm

I have nothing against the elderly; however, their driving skills should be checked on a yearly basis. 

Agreed! Their functional reflex's should be tested, as well as their hearing and eyes.

They think driving under the speed limit is safe, and they're wrong.

With the increased level of people suffering from alzheimers  disease, many of which are undetected or misdiagnosed, having elderly people behind the wheel is a hazard and should be ceased.

One man gathers what another man spills
Ad Slasher View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 8:29pm
In California, the "talking on the cell phone while driving" law will be in effect on July 1st. of this year. So far, many people I see are still doing it.  Are they even aware of this law being in effect in July? With that, I wonder how many people will recieve a ticket alone just for breaking this law?

And I do strongly support this law. This law should become a federal law, not just a state law.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 8:54pm
I try to avoid  Mrs Blue-hair and phone chatters as much as possible. Mrs Blue-hair even slows down "more" if she feels you're following too close. I can see her looking in her rear view mirror.
"Lady, I would go around if this was a passing zone."

Oh, and "brake pedal stabbers".  I can't stand someone constantly stabbing the brakes.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:07pm
I almost forgot about this, but there was one time recently when my mother was driving me home a driver in front of us in a golden boxy Honda was going slower than the speed limit on the highway, I think he was going 45 or 50 something like that and the speed limit was 65, it was annoying and nerve racking at the same time. 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Ad Slasher Ad Slasher wrote:

In California, the "talking on the cell phone while driving" law will be in effect on July 1st. of this year. So far, many people I see are still doing it.  Are they even aware of this law being in effect in July? With that, I wonder how many people will recieve a ticket alone just for breaking this law?

And I do strongly support this law. This law should become a federal law, not just a state law.

This law has been in effect in New York for years and people STILL yack on the cell while driving.  They are allowed to use a Bluetooth while driving, but you will still see the whole phone up to their tiny little heads.

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 12:51am

We have the blue hairs around here too, they slow down everytime another car passes them or sometimes apparently just for the hell of it.  It drives me crazy when people block the damn intersection.  There is a big one here and there is no excuse for stopping in the middle of the flippin road,  you could tell that you couldn't make it through but you just had to go anyway.  Or howabout the assholes that drive down the left lane (turning lane) and then block traffic because they want to get at the front of the straight land.  If I had to wait ten minutes in traffic then so do you buddy, get to the back of the line. 

I actually had an old couple harrassing me on the road one day, they were driving 30 in a 45 and were offended when I started riding their ass.  The stupid broad actually waved at me with a dumb ass smirk on her face when I was finally able to go around them.  Grrrrrr.  Whew, ok, I think I am done now.Censored
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:36am
Originally posted by msdeli msdeli wrote:

We have the blue hairs around here too, they slow down everytime another car passes them or sometimes apparently just for the hell of it.  It drives me crazy when people block the damn intersection.  There is a big one here and there is no excuse for stopping in the middle of the flippin road,  you could tell that you couldn't make it through but you just had to go anyway.  Or howabout the assholes that drive down the left lane (turning lane) and then block traffic because they want to get at the front of the straight land.  If I had to wait ten minutes in traffic then so do you buddy, get to the back of the line. 

I actually had an old couple harrassing me on the road one day, they were driving 30 in a 45 and were offended when I started riding their ass.  The stupid broad actually waved at me with a dumb ass smirk on her face when I was finally able to go around them.  Grrrrrr.  Whew, ok, I think I am done now.Censored

I try to keep a 'safe' distance from the bluehairs. They can and do sometimes almost stop if you crowd them.
They are really a danger. I always try and watch my rear view hoping an 18 wheeler is'nt bearing down on us doing 10-20 under the speed limit.Shocked   
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:41pm
Simple driving rule of thumb.  Whether or not there is a stop sign, when approaching a main street from a side street always stop then check both ways and double check both ways.  It could save your life.

Jack View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Fomerly Takeikin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:21pm
^^This. Definitely.
At any intersection, whether you have a stop sign, no stop sign, a green, yellow, or red light, whether flashing or steady, nothing at all, or the Duffman directing traffic with his pelvis, it's worth the time and effort to look ahead to make sure no one is going to run anything and maybe even slow down a bit as you approach major intersections. I was on the IH-35 frontage road just outside of downtown Austin on a motor scooter:

My light had just turned green and I started into the intersection when some dumbsh*t came racing over the bridge (with his wife and baby in the car) and smashed into my front, then careened down the road and into a light pole. I was thrown off the bike and I had to replace the headlights and the front piece, and they had a smashed headlight and a punctured tire (no idea how), but no one was injured.

I'm rather overcautious of intersections now.
Because people are stupid.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:54pm
Jack, thank goodness you're ok.  Did you have a helmet?
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:17pm
A 4-way intersection with turning lanes on the main road. It never fails here, someone pulls
out into the cross section waiting for oncoming traffic to go by as so he/she can make that left hand turn.
Our light turns red but of course, idiot driver can't see that because they are 'underneath' the light. When oncoming traffic is stopped at the redlight, driver just pulls his illegal redlight running like it was nothing.
Pulling up all the way so he/she can't backup is always good fun.Big%20smile
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:22pm
Isn't it ironic that the only time a bluehair is quick is when they are pulling out in front of you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic