Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ortho Mouse Traps "We don't like drama!"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ortho Mouse Traps "We don't like drama!"
    Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 12:31am
Just saw this commercial.  It has a woman and her (I guess) husband talking in their kitchen.  She says there was a mouse in the house and that it is taken care of.  Husband asks who took care of it, she said she did (said stupidly as if she just learned how to tie her shoe) and used the Ortho mousetrap.  She then explains that there's no mess (and the dead mouse isn't visible) while in the Ortho mousetrap.

The guy then says "No drama!--we don't like drama, do we?" in a calm and happy tone.  He's obviously only referring to the mousetrap.  The woman then looks at him like he threw her mother in a pile of dog crap, and said "Excuse me?" 

Um...the husband was talking about less drama with the darn MOUSETRAP, not the nasty wife!  If I was the guy, I would've said "Well, I didn't mean you...but now with that nasty comment...I do now.  Congratulations." 
Sponsored Links

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 12:39am
Poor mouse. I love mice.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 1:33am
Wait until you get one in your pantry...Unhappy
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:15am
I say, if you're going to kill the mouse, at least own up to it and look at the f*ckin' thing.  You did it.  You should at least see the results.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I had one in my kitchen for about half a year.  Mighta been a small rat.  I fed it.  I wasn't going to kill it (one of the cats brought it in, and while I didn't want it there, the rat probably didn't want to be there, either).  But if I didn't feed it, it might've died in back of the cabinets somewhere.  So, either I kill it or I feed it.  Luckily, rodents and lizards and such just don't bother me.

Eventually, it left.  My cat Mickey was looking at this fat little rodent lumbering across the backyard.  It disappeared under the fence before he could get it.  I knew it was him 'cuz the food I was giving him was no longer being eaten.

Anyway, problem solved.  But I'm sure I'll find plenty o' droppings if I ever replace my cabinets.  Hmmmm...good reason not to!  Big%20smile

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 6:08am
I like lizards and rodents.
They're so cute.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

I like lizards and rodents.
They're so cute.

The cuteness wears off. When I lived in Florida I liked lizards too, until I kept finding dead ones trapped in my sink or tiny shriveled corpses behind things when cleaning. There's a big difference between pest and pet.
jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:20pm

We had one not only in the pantry...IN THE BOX OF CEREAL!!! Luckily my useless cat was just staring at the box and my hubby hear the ratteling and threw it away. Could you imagine if poured myself some cereal that day!! He didnt' tell me until weeks latter! EWWW
I HATE MICE/RatsDead
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 6:25pm
I didn't use those glue traps...not that they are cruel, but the damn thing doesn't die immediately.  I used the good old snap traps...it's a great feeling to hear that noise and know it's dead.

I don't like vermin.
Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 8:14pm
This commercial is horrifying. Make the death nice and clean and wrapped in a little white Mouse Motel with a bow so you don't have to see the death you are causing. I'm not pro-mice in the kitchen but to callously throw Jerry in a trash bin to slowly asphyixiate while you go play happy housewife seems sick and wrong to me.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 9:39pm
When I was a Kid we had a Mouse problem in the house, so we got some Mousetraps. I found an old Gerbil Cage and rigged it as a Box Trap. The next morning I Captured a Mouse ALIVE! I let the Rodent Loose in a Field, but not until it got to go for a ride, in an Estes Rocket!LOL
Pray for those in the path of Hurricane Irma!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 10:16pm

The way I see it is that all the rodent has is this one little life.  That's all it gets.  No need to end it needlessly or just because "they're yucky" or scary or something.

There are traps that don't kill.  I have one.  Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, as I bought a mouse-sized one.  I believe there were larger ones.

I did lend it to a friend, though, and it worked.  He lured it into the trap with peanut butter.  I released it for him near a creek.

TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 10:27pm
I remember rats. My mom both was scared and really HATED rats. Whenever she found one, she would kill it. However one rat we had was lucky and my mom was able to get rid of it HUMANLY. But that was when I lived in Oakland when I was a little kid. And in Oakland, LOTS of rats could live in your home.
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 11:41pm
Back in the spring, one tenant caught a small mouse in his shoe. He had tried keeping it alive but it died. We gave him one of those thingies you plug in an outlet to deter mice.
Couple weeks later he called, has yet another mouse trapped under a bowl. Could we come get it and take that wall outlet thingie with it.
I went and got it, let it loose in the nearby woods. Hawks or snakes would get it as I wasn't going to kill it. 

Edit............. and owls.Wink 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 12:03am
Now I feel bad....no wonder I have bad dreams involving Mickey Mouse.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 12:11am
Don't worry, Hoot.  It'll be OK.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 12:40am
LOL
madisonpeach View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madisonpeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The way I see it is that all the rodent has is this one little life.  That's all it gets.  No need to end it needlessly or just because "they're yucky" or scary or something.

Yes it has one life, but if it's made its way into my dwelling I will kill it. Not because it's icky, and not because the mouse itself is scary, but because they are dirty/unsanitary.

"Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection."

...I watch too many PBS documentaries, but better safe than sorry, I say. After all, if it's managed to find its way in once, I don't want to give it the chance to do so again, and possibly kill me...
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 4:38am
Originally posted by madisonpeach madisonpeach wrote:

Yes it has one life, but if it's made its way into my dwelling I will kill it. Not because it's icky, and not because the mouse itself is scary, but because they are dirty/unsanitary. "Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by
infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can
contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was
first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the
United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control
in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing
hantavirus infection."...I watch too many PBS documentaries, but better safe than sorry, I say. After all, if it's managed to find its way in once, I don't want to give it the chance to do so again, and possibly kill me...

Well we may as well say Micky Mouse carries diseases.

BTW: I was trying to look for a video for this commercial but stumbled across a Animal Rights blog complaining about the same commercial.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/09/tell-hgtv-to-drop-ortho-mice-killer.html
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Carrigon View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carrigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 7:31pm
I don't like killing mice.  My cats used to bring them live into the house and put a live one on my bed and I still didn't kill them.  I'd either pick the mouse up by the tail and put it outside or trap it in a box and then put it outside.  I'm just not into killing them.  So this commercial doesn't sit real well with me.  It's mouse-icide! LOL
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 4:03am
Originally posted by madisonpeach madisonpeach wrote:

Yes it has one life, but if it's made its way into my dwelling I will kill it. Not because it's icky, and not because the mouse itself is scary, but because they are dirty/unsanitary.

"Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection."

...I watch too many PBS documentaries, but better safe than sorry, I say. After all, if it's managed to find its way in once, I don't want to give it the chance to do so again, and possibly kill me...

I'm with you, Peach. I love animals, but not rodents or snakes. We live in a semi-rural area with many nearby woodsy patches and fields for mice to live. We've had a few mouse infestations over the years which I've solved iwth both glue boards and snappy traps. Probably will have another soon because the little scamps seem to find their way inside in the fall. I do think the snappies are more humane although they can be messier, and they're more eco-friendly to boot. Those plastic traps will still be intact in a landfill in a century or two.

My neighbor tripped over a 5' black snake earlier this summer sunning itself between our houses. I know, they eat mice and other pests, but if I'd seen it, it would have been lights out for the snake. Fortunately for him, he must have moved on.
Hundreds of threads killed.
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:55pm
I think I have a mouse in my room.

I have a guinea pig and from what I heard neither mice nor guinea pigs get along. I also have those rodent-b-gone night lights that make noise. And I put out bait because I think it's in the closet.

Can you hear mice rustling through stuff in the middle of the night?

I tried my own cat, but she wanted to go somewhere else. Maybe I should get Tom to get rid of my Jerry!

And yeah...that Ortho commercial sucks too.
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
sandy345 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 9:17pm
The man seems to be another whipped husband. He offended his wife (who seems to be quick to take offense) and looks scared of her at the end of the commercial.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 3:40pm

I didn't use those glue traps...not that they are cruel, but the damn thing doesn't die immediately... 

We used 'em back when we lived down south. Yea - squeakers were always alive & kickin'!
The kids always wanted pets, doncha know (and these were cheap!)...and when they were done playing with 'em, they'd scrape 'em off on the neighbor's side of the fence and let 'em run free.
We've never believed in 'cruelty to animals'.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic