Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OMG! Why build something ASININE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OMG! Why build something ASININE!
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:50am

I just recently moved into an apartment coplex about month ago.  Not only is everything falling apart the design of it is just asinine!  (I love this word )  Maybe these apartments are from the Slave days or something but they seem old but still. 

#1 NO light on the living room ceiling.   Really? that was a wonderful idea!
#2  The 2 bedroom apartments over here only 1 bedroom has a hole for the air conditioner !  Yet another brilliant move.
#3 The bedroom could not possible have a normal size entry way with a door NO it has to have a big slidding noisy loud wooden panel type door that goes into the wall.   Really?

I have lived in a 3 bedroom house where the living room had NO ceiling light.  What is up with this? God it makes no sense at all.
#4  The blinds in the living  Oh these are great! Big plastic panels that fall out at the slightest touch.

I just don't get it.  Thank you for "listening" to me complain.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Sponsored Links

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:53am
often in construction, especially newer, the less accomodations made for drywall and electrical the cheaper.
Also codes affect the speed in which a development is approved and inspected. Less fixtures and electrical the less inspection and therefore less chance of a project being delayed.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:10pm
Also, it has been the "style" for a long time to use table or freestanding lamps in the living room, with overhead lights everywhere else. My apartment's living room has a double switch near the door. The first switch controls the upper socket of the electrical outlet, and the other switch controls the porch light. The four bedroom house I grew up in was also that way. My folks eventually installed a ceiling fan with a lamp shade on a double fader switch: one to control fan speed, one for the lamp brightness.

The door into the wall thing is a way to save space in the bedroom. But most are too noisy, as you found out.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

I just recently moved into an apartment coplex about month ago.  Not only is everything falling apart the design of it is just asinine!  (I love this word )  Maybe these apartments are from the Slave days or something but they seem old but still. 

#2  The 2 bedroom apartments over here only 1 bedroom has a hole for the air conditioner !  Yet another brilliant move.
#3 The bedroom could not possible have a normal size entry way with a door NO it has to have a big slidding noisy loud wooden panel type door that goes into the wall.   Really?

I have lived in a 3 bedroom house where the living room had NO ceiling light.  What is up with this? God it makes no sense at all.
#4  The blinds in the living  Oh these are great! Big plastic panels that fall out at the slightest touch.

I just don't get it.  Thank you for "listening" to me complain.
You didn't notice any of these things before you signed the lease?
The broken/falling window blinds should go on your move-in report.
That door that slides into the wall is a pocket-door...... they have their uses. Can't say I like them.
Even new apartments don't have to have ceiling fixtures.  
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 2:18pm
I have a bedroom with no overhead light.  It was about a year before I realized that the wall switch, like AEN's, would control a lamp plugged into the nearest outlet.

I also have one of those pocket doors.  It's to the small bathroom/shower at the end of the little hallway in my bedroom.  If there was a regular door there, it'd be a hassle to deal with.  Recently, though, I had a big ol' black widow come crawling out of the pocket.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:03pm
Yeah, my living room is like that too. Nothing mounted in the ceiling. Come to think of it, the house I grew up in (where my mom still lives) was like that too. And so was the last apartment I lived in. Aside from one small apartment I occupied in a really old building constructed in the 30's, I honestly can't remember ever seeing a living room in which there WAS an overhead, ceiling light fixture.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Recently, though, I had a big ol' black widow come crawling out of the pocket.

Time to get a can of Raid.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Recently, though, I had a big ol' black widow come crawling out of the pocket.

Time to get a can of Raid.

I step on 'em.  Raid isn't that useful, as they don't live clustered together like ants.  They're scattered about, and you just see them occasionally.  So, whether you use Raid or you step on 'em, you're just killing 'em one at a time, anyway.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:00pm
There could be a nest somewhere, couldn't there?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:36pm
Their nests are these little pea-sized balls of whitish fluff that exist in close proximity to the mother.  Sometimes I see them abandoned.  Or maybe they already "popped".   

I recently did a little experiment.  I saw a nice-sized widder amidst the dense leaves of a plant.  There was a little fluff-ball of babies nearby.  I couldn't get to the mother, but I was able to gently nudge the nest out into the open.  I checked back a few hours later, and the nest was gone.  I'm guessing "Mom" retrieved it.

I was a bit alarmed when I saw my first black widow here, but I've gotten used to them.  They're not as dangerous as people think, and they're just not worth taking drastic measures (like bug-bombing the place) over.

I really don't mind spiders.

Do you get black widows in Florida?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Yeah, my living room is like that too. Nothing mounted in the ceiling. Come to think of it, the house I grew up in (where my mom still lives) was like that too. And so was the last apartment I lived in. Aside from one small apartment I occupied in a really old building constructed in the 30's, I honestly can't remember ever seeing a living room in which there WAS an overhead, ceiling light fixture.

Now that you mention it, most living rooms I've been in do not have an overhead light.  Mine does, only because it's part of the overhead fan that was installed at some point.  I don't really like overhead light, anyway.  I've been here 8 years, and have changed maybe one overhead light.  Two, including the fluorescent light in the kitchen.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:54pm

When I moved in, there was an access opening from the garage to a nice amount of storage area under my stairs.  It was just an opening cut into the garage wall.  Apparently, that's illegal, so it had to be closed up before I moved in.  What the...?

Oh well, it's not like I need the storage.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 5:53pm
My house was built in 1929 and has overhead lights in every room.  I've put in fans in two of them.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

My house was built in 1929 and has overhead lights in every room.  I've put in fans in two of them.

Does it have any of those push-button wall switches anymore?  The ones where you press in one button to turn on and the other one to turn off?

Naaah, no way.  The last time I saw one of those was in my Aunt Mary's house in the mid-60s.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:18pm

When I moved in, there was an access opening from the garage to a nice amount of storage area under my stairs.  It was just an opening cut into the garage wall.  Apparently, that's illegal, so it had to be closed up before I moved in.  What the...?

Oh well, it's not like I need the storage.

My brother's first house didn't come with a garage. It was a plain-jane ranch home. He decided to build an attached garage on one end which had a window in it. That's a no-no.
Didn't get a permit for the job so it was fine...... until he put it up for sale. He had to take the window out and side it up as the guy did under your stairs.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 4:45am
My parents' living room doesn't have overhead lights, either. But then again, they have 30 foot high ceilings, so that'd be hella difficult to maintain... or really unsightly... or both!
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 5:03am

Their nests are these little pea-sized balls of whitish fluff that exist in close proximity to the mother. 

Like Lindsay Lohan?  Big%20smile

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 5:08am

May I ask...have you re-wired your home since then?  I want to know how long one can keep using the initial wiring in a house.   At my Mother's house, the fuses keep blowing all the time and my bro in law replaced some light in her bathroom and said the wiring was crumbling in his fingers.  Her house was built in the late 40's.  I don't feel safe for her knowing the wiring is so bad.  Unhappy

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:49am
Back in the late 80s, my grand parents home had to be rewired. It had been built about 1910. The electrical installation was using round glass fuses and cotton covered wires set off on ceramic insulators! I was visiting them, and smelled burning. Grandma showed me where the main switch was and I threw it. We called an electrical contractor, and the family all contributed to the cost to rewire their little house. The circuit that was burning was the one to their rather old refrigerator. When we checked the fuses, we discovered it had been burned out decades earlier. Some fool had stuck in Indian Head Penny under the fuse to defeat it. It was either dumb luck or the grace of God that kept that house from burning down into the cellar.

I still have that penny somewhere.

My other grandparents house had those pushbutton light switches. I liked them myself, but a lot of them were poorly designed, and caused a lot of fires.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Their nests are these little pea-sized balls of whitish fluff that exist in close proximity to the mother. 

Like Lindsay Lohan?  Big%20smile

LOL  Good one.  The Lohans are like modern-day Barrymores.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

May I ask...have you re-wired your home since then?  I want to know how long one can keep using the initial wiring in a house.   At my Mother's house, the fuses keep blowing all the time and my bro in law replaced some light in her bathroom and said the wiring was crumbling in his fingers.  Her house was built in the late 40's.  I don't feel safe for her knowing the wiring is so bad.  Unhappy

I had it checked before we bought it.  Added a 220 for the dryer, and several separate 110 lines.  Also switched out fuses for a circuit panel. 

However, most of the the circuits are the original, I think.  We do have to be careful using microwave and toaster at the same time or we pop a circuit breaker. 

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:40pm
I don't think there is a law about having to rewire one's home. The exception being if there is any additions and/or remodel work done, then the wiring would have to be brought up to code.
That copper penny trick Ad mentioned is an old trick and has probably caused a lot of house fires. People use bigger fuses or wrap a fuse in tin foil when their automobile keeps blowing fuses - same deal. Putting a 30amp fuse where a 20 amp was will work but the problem is still there and sooner or later the wires will just melt and cause a fire. The insurance company will probably not pay if this was the cause of the fire.

Fuses blow/breakers trip to break the electric circuit. 
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

My parent's home was built in the 50s and they don't have a living room light. My house was built in the 70s and it too has no living room light. It just wasn't how they did things back then. We use a plug in floor lamp for when it gets dark. It does the job. Since hubby runs all our wires through the attic it would be a cinch to put in an overhead light if we really wanted one. Now that I think about it, a nice ceiling fan with a light would be great.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 9:26pm
Since hubby runs all our wires through the attic it would be a cinch to put in an overhead light if we really wanted one. Now that I think about it, a nice ceiling fan with a light would be great.
Since he's up there anyway, that's what I'd do. Ceiling fans are a nice feature come reselling time.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 10:21pm
ConfusedYou want ASININE?!
I got it!
Try THIS place...my only question - WHY?!!! (other than, well...because they COULD)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic