Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OFF! Skintastic Smooth & Dry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OFF! Skintastic Smooth & Dry
    Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 4:28pm
It's so nice to have this section!  Thank you Nathan!

Now, on to this product, OFF! Skintastic Smooth & Dry:

I live in mosquito heaven, so I definitely have to apply something to avoid getting a pint of blood drained.  I don't like the greasiness of regular OFF! or Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil (which works, by the way), so I purchased a can of Smooth & Dry.

It was only available in 4 oz. cans - for $4.29.  A bit pricey for a small can, but I got it anyway.

It worked wonderfully and went on less greasy (not quite smooth & dry) so I initally felt positive about the product - until the can plugged up at the half full mark.  This formulation of OFF! has cornstarch in it.....

I have rinsed the cap and internal nozzle under hot water.  I have cleared both the cap and internal nozzle with a pin.  The can is obviously clogged on the inside, rendering the product USELESS.

I'm back to going outside looking like a grease slick with Skin So Soft.  The next time I go to the store, I'll buy some Cutter Mosquito Repellant.  Same stuff as OFF!, cheaper price.

Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 4:54pm

Great post.

I've had that same problem with the product clogging.

I also do not like its ultra-powdery fragrance.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 4:56pm
CW - have you tried taking B Complex vitamins on a regular basis?
We do that and never seem to get munched on...guess we smell like sh*t (and I don't mean dinner) to bugs.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 4:59pm
I unclog my hairspray cans by using a sewing needle.  Maybe it'd work on the Skintastic can.
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 5:01pm
I foresee the thing 'going off and blasting me in the face with bug spray.

I'll have to ask the husband to do it Wink
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 5:04pm
I take B complex every day, Pa.  I'm still a mosquito diner.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

I unclog my hairspray cans by using a sewing needle.  Maybe it'd work on the Skintastic can.

That's what I meant by pin - a sewing needle.  Sorry.Smile

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 9:20pm
For some reason, bugs don't seem all that interested in biting me. Guess I just don't taste all that good. Smile
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 9:59pm
I used to take a certain prescription medication that the bugs must have detested......we could go hiking and I'd never get bitten.

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:10pm
I just read an article on "the consumerist" where a woman had an allergic reaction to the cornstarch in the spray.  She said she was allergic to corn and eggs.  Is this a common allergy.  She also said that it does not say that it contains cornstarch on the lable.  Is that correct?  Just curious,  I shall try it.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:17pm

As far as ingredients, the label lists DEET, 15%; Other ingredients, 85%.  No mention of corn starch at all.  There was a pull off label on the can that listed the cornstarch.

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 4:15am
I have not used this product or any other repellant in a long time but I was just discussing this topic with some people at work the other day. I was trying to remember the name brand of an insect repellant that we used when my ex-husband and I used to go fishing in the everglades.  They don't spray there period!  So, you have to use something by nightfall or you are swarmed by mosquitoes.  The product was called Repel and it worked great.  Now, this was 15 years ago and I don't know if they make it anymore or if there are better products out now but MrsHill, you may want to give it a try if it's still available.  Deet is the best to keep mosquitoes away,  however any product that contains it may cause reactions and has some health risks associated with it...so check it out. 

I'm editing my post since I did google Repel and it's still available.  I'm not sure if it's in stores or you have to order it, and the Deet content is almost 2 times what you said was in the other can.  That's probably why it works so well, but I'd still check out the health risks.

I hope I helped.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 4:40am
We bought a can of BugOut.  It has 15% DEET, and is half the price of OFF.  I used it today, and it worked well.  It wasn't quite as greasy as OFF, either.  The mosquitos and deerflies are always waiting for me when I pick raspberries....Confused

At the WalMart sporting goods department, they sell a version of OFF! with 40% DEET.  I know how 15% makes my skin feel warm - I'd hate to try the 40% version!

I haven't seen Repel - maybe that's in the sporting goods department as well. 

I wonder what effect DEET has on us.  I try to wash it off as soon as I get back in the house.  I just know I can't stand the greasiness of Skin So Soft.  Every little speck of dust or dirt will stick to my skin with SSS and I just feel unbathed.Dead

Thank you for your post, meinga!  I'll look to see if WM has Repel.  It may come in handy on a fishing trip!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic