Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New "Decades" OTA TV Channel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New "Decades" OTA TV Channel
    Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:00pm
So for those who have over-the-air antennas, there is a new CBS digital sub-channel called "Decades" which has been running some pretty cool marathons running up to the "official" start of the channel (which I don't understand, frankly). By marathons, I mean DAYS and DAYS of the same show, back-to-back, they just finished a Dobie Gillis-a-thon and are now running Mayberry RFD continuously. Which brings me to the commercial I hate:

THE COMMERCIAL FOR MAYBERRY RFD. Hearing the Mayberry RFD theme song played fifteen times every half-hour during their commercials for the Mayberry RFD-a-thon, then enduring that same theme song every episode start and finish, is TOO MUCH.

Drives me nuts. For now, they don't have too many of the usual offending commercials, but I am sure it won't take long for Liberty Mutual to latch on so they can bombard us with even more MUTE-ations.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:31pm
If I had no other choice, okay.
If it was a 3 Stooges marathon, you have my attention.

Back when there were only 3 network channels, I would turn on some music or get the hell out of the house.
Hellen View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:45pm
You can catch a few hours of Stooges at a time on one of the OTA channels, not sure if it is Retro TV or Antenna TV. I don't have cable, but my HD OTA antenna keeps me entertained. I get a pretty good line-up b/c I am only a few miles from a major satellite / antenna transponder installation near DFW that also sits about 500 feet elevation above me, so I have almost direct line-of-sight and great reception off of those towers. Funny thing is, all my family / friends still suck on the cable teat (why I will never know) and talk about commercials that I never see. All I get is the "old folks" commercials, like "A Place for Mom" (nursing home comm., I call it "A Place to dump Mom" LOL) here is my line-up, and they ALL play the SAME damn commercials incessantly:

COZI TV
DECADES
MeTV
ESCAPE!
MOVIES!
Retro TV
HOT TV ("History of Television")
GET TV (old movies)
GRIT
ION

Those are the ones I watch, there are others, including CBS/ABC/NBC which broadcast OTA, and why anyone would pay for cable in DFW is beyond me when they can pick up the transponders at Cedar Hill with a $20 antenna. I do miss ESPN sometimes though. Just have to keep the Mute button ready for Liberty Mutual et al. LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:50pm
There are quite a few people here who have 'cut the cord'.
This is typically a dead time for the forum but you can bet others will ring in.
Hellen View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:59pm
Thanks, aka ron, I'm a bit of a "shut-in" b/c of of age / health reasons, so I am looking forward to chatting it up with like-minded folks here--that is, anti-commercial folks, not age/health challenged folks. Great forums!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:13pm
The wife and I, in our mid fifties, are facing the challenges of ageing also, I like your spirit, keep it up.
There are some great people here, funny, intelligent.
I don't claim to be in any of those 2 groups but enjoy the forum just the same.
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Hellen Hellen wrote:

Thanks, aka ron, I'm a bit of a "shut-in" b/c of of age / health reasons, so I am looking forward to chatting it up with like-minded folks here--that is, anti-commercial folks, not age/health challenged folks. Great forums!
You'll be able to chat it up with a "few" mental health-challenged folks here too!  (Not naming names.)  Tongue

I cut the cord a few years ago and now have OTA with a nifty 37" flat panel TV and a flat panel antenna.  Works great, except for sometimes the channel I want to watch (my CBS and ABC) are sketchy so I have to readjust the antenna.  I am looking forward to seeing if I get Decades TV.  Thanks for sharing the news!  The Wikipedia entry on it says the official launch is May 25.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:05am

...... so I am looking forward to chatting it up with like-minded folks here--that is, anti-commercial folks, not age/health challenged folks. Great forums!

I see you already met our resident cable cutter Regulus in Television Rants.  Of those channels you listed, we may get half of those. Just recently got GRIT.
purple rose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 5:44am

Hi Hellen - welcome to the forum!  There are lots of us "50+" folks around here (and some of the commercials we love to hate the most are the AARP ones).  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic