Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Name a commercial fad you hate immensely.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name a commercial fad you hate immensely.
    Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:31am
Inappropriate commercial topic airings is one commercial fad I hate. I was eating a sausage biscuit, hash browns, and mozzarella cheese sticks and drinking a cherry ICEE, and drinking Nestle Pure Life water at Burger King at roughly 7:30 in the morning when a commercial for LAXATIVES came on. Gross, just as I am eating! I thought, disgusted. So, what commercial fad do you hate immensely?
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

Inappropriate commercial topic airings is one commercial fad I hate. I was eating a sausage biscuit, hash browns, and mozzarella cheese sticks and drinking a cherry ICEE, and drinking Nestle Pure Life water at Burger King at roughly 7:30 in the morning when a commercial for LAXATIVES came on. Gross, just as I am eating! I thought, disgusted. So, what commercial fad do you hate immensely?

ConfusedDo you really think this is in the correct forum, rather than 'Off Topic' since you have no particular named product.
And what are you doing with an ICEE and Pure Life Water in BK?
Laxatives? What a GREAT idea to advertise! Starting tomorrow, remember 'A laxative a day keeps the proctologist away' and be sure to take that laxative about 30 minutes before you get to Burger King and start all that slurping and drinking and eating. Add raisin, prune, & green banana oatmeal to your diet to offset the manner you are currently double-stacking up on the starches, a tiny bit of protein, and fried & emulsified trams fats and milk fats.
Yum.
Once again, what's that sausage really made of?
Let's be sure and make a break for an open bathroom stall - the one that has the sign on the door which reads, 'flush hard - it's a long way to the kitchen'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 10:55am
Pawolf, I said that airing a commercial for laxatives in the morning when people are eating breakfast is a bad commercial fad. It is not Off Topic. The product was for Senokot.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 11:23am
Senna-coot!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:16pm
Portraying snotty, misbehaved little brats as being cute.

I hate that.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm
1. ANY commercial involving singing and/or dancing.

2. Any commercial making some poor unfortunate guy look like an idiot because he happens to have been born a man.

3. Any commercial starring the song Holiday Road.  This is a new one.

4. Any of the countless NFL Football is Family commercials.  Like the one with the fkn moron (see #2) with the Raiders shirt on at a family gathering of KC fans.  Anyone who's so into football that it affects family relations really needs to reexamine their life's choices.

5. OMGIGOTAFKNCARFORCHRISTMAS!!!! commercials.

6. "Sensitive topics" commercials like laxative commercials, boner pill commercials, and tampon commercials.

7. Commercials with made up words.  Smelfy, framily, etc...

8. Food commercials that make fast food look like gourmet food, when in reality it's a thin patty slapped on a flattened bun with a shot of off colored ketchup and a "pickle".

9. Commercials with screaming children.  My ears instantly start bleeding.

Also

10. Commercials.  I just hate commercials in general.  Rarely do I see one that doesn't make me want to kill my TV.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

6. "Sensitive topics" commercials like laxative commercials, boner pill commercials, and tampon commercials.

10. Commercials.  I just hate commercials in general.  Rarely do I see one that doesn't make me want to kill my TV.

11. Any company who's commercials present their product in the most obnoxious manner possible. Angry

12. Political commercials, ether side. Angry

13. Coping with 20 or more minutes of commercials per hour. Dead

11 years ago I got fed up and "cut the cord" after seeing one of those "sensitive topic" commercials aired during a children's show. Shocked

Since they don't care what commercials are tossed in your face I decided to quit paying $ 65.00 a month and cancelled my subscription. I decided to get my shows in a a different manner. 

Today whenever watching a show or movie I'm one that's available on home video. no commercials, no shows that feature a political sermon in each show, and the best thing is after I finish watching a show I get to keep it! Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

11. Any company who's commercials present their product in the most obnoxious manner possible. Angry
12. Political commercials, ether side. Angry
13. Coping with 20 or more minutes of commercials per hour. Dead

14.  Any commercial that just outright LIES to viewers.  (Oh wait, that's ALL of them.)  Angry

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
Missing limbs.  There are many (such commercials, I mean).  The other day, I watched a St. Jude's commercial followed immediately by some commercial featuring both a pooch and a pony using prosthetic devices.

Aha!  Here's the latter:

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:57pm
Regulus, in regards to your hated number 11, I remember watching with my then 8 year old sister, Hard Hat Harry, a Children's TV show, and during a commercial break, an ad asking,"Do you want to have hot sex?" Suddenly came on. I was beyond shocked. :O Kids are watching a CHILDREN'S TV SHOW for Godsakes! What are you doing airing such an adult commercial? Luckily my sister had left by the time this inappropriate timed commercial aired.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:08pm
Talking with the mouth full of food, be it dog or human, it annoys me to no end. Can't we at least have ONE STINKING AD without some numbskull speaking with their mouth full of food? It's stupid, unprofessional, and disgusting. I'm sick of it!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 10:14pm
Expensive car ads aimed at kids or "the kid in you," or the car has a bow or is under the tree, etc. Kids with their jaws hanging watching a stupid car going down the street.

Ads that have to air twice in every break, like the DQ ad with the ugly nerd who wears his black hat stupidly.
Virginia Dare II View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:17am
Any and all discussions of things that happen between belly button and knees. Confused  I also hate "Smartass Wife/Dumbass Husband commercials.    On that note...off topic...this is my FAVORITE commercial of all time.  LOLLOLLOL
" Pickle YOU...Kumquat !!"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Virginia Dare II Virginia Dare II wrote:

Any and all discussions of things that happen between belly button and knees. Confused  I also hate "Smartass Wife/Dumbass Husband commercials.    On that note...off topic...this is my FAVORITE commercial of all time.  LOLLOLLOL

One of my favorites too.

I used to sub at a local high school where one of the boy's P.E. teachers/football coaches used to jokingly call the kids "Dumass" (doo-mahs) when they'd do something boneheaded.

I don't know why root beer commercials are so funny, but this Mug root beer commercial is one of my all time favorites:

Something about the goofy look on the kid's face or something.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:21am
"The Secret"!

For quite a while now, ad producers have been disclosing "the secret", or, "the trick".

"Buy this useless overpriced thing from us. It will do this and that! The secret is: BLAH BLAH whatever it is."

There are at least six dozen ads on late late early cable TV that follow this format. All being read by the same two or three copy readers. Most ending with the hated words: CALL NOW!!!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
I hate commercials that assume I know who the "famous" person is that everyone is creaming their jeans over.
Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:40pm
its gonna sound awful but...
its just so OBVIOUS that the 'rainbow coalition' of casting with all the possible races including the handicapped and downs syndrome kid..if this were GENUINE caring it would be laudable, but it saves WAL-MART and other abusers of commerce from shooting racial SPECIFIC ads and they damn well WOULD if they could..beer and car dealers still do it
all for racial harmony..just not FAUX harmony
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:26pm
I want to point out my (fairly) intense hatred of the Rainbow Coalition as well.  Mixed race couples, biracial children, mom's black, dad's white, mom's white, dad's black, kids are of course mixed, sometimes obviously adopted children of other races in the family (usually Asian), the white chicks with Asian guys, as opposed to the old cliche of white men with their mail-order brides from Asian countries, and the whole gang getting together always features one black.  Sick of Commercial Land on TV letting us know that segregation is a thing of the past (rightly so) and that people are choosing to be involved with people of other races on TV now.  We know that.  We get it.  Stop it already!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Banderboy Banderboy wrote:

I hate commercials that assume I know who the "famous" person is that everyone is creaming their jeans over.
I usually don't know who the hell those people are and of course don't care because I've never heard of them and by the looks of them, don't really want to.
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

14.  Any commercial that just outright LIES to viewers.  (Oh wait, that's ALL of them.)  Angry

Following up on my earlier post, in today's snail mail was a very official-looking (and yet totally fake) "overnight envelope" with some offer from Comcast.

Sort of like this one:  Closest I could find online.

The one I received in the mail was much more elaborate, however:

It has fake "Expedite" stickers (not even real stickers, just the envelope printed to look like a sticker.)
It has fake weight limit restrictions printed on the back ("Weight limit: 3.2 Ounces")
--which also checks the box for arbitrary precision.
It has a fake checkmark in the fake "RUSH" box made to look like it was hand-written.
And it claims to come from their "Preferred Customer Division"..(which can't possibly exist),
..from an "L. Schweber"  (12th cousin, 18 times removed from Mrs. Butterworth, herself a fictional character, but I digress...)

--At least the effort checks the box for "personal service".  (Yawn..)

Inside of course, is just the usual Comcast come-ons.

Now here's a question:
WHY would I trust anything inside, if I already know the envelope the offer arrived in is totally made-up bullsh*t?  (Sort of like: "We'll be there between Noon and 5PM to install your cable.)

I am f**king sick of being lied to by advertisers!!  AngryAngry

I honestly can't think of a SINGLE commercial these days which isn't dishonest in some way.
Lying is so pervasive, it's become the accepted way to conduct business: 

LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 5:06am
Shoehorning hipsters and bearded lumberjack wannabes f**king EVERYWHERE!!!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:43am

Following up on my earlier post, in today's snail mail was a very official-looking (and yet totally fake) "overnight envelope" with some offer from Comcast.

It has fake "Expedite" stickers (not even real stickers, just the envelope printed to look like a sticker.)
It has fake weight limit restrictions printed on the back ("Weight limit: 3.2 Ounces")
It has a fake checkmark in the fake "RUSH" box made to look like it was hand-written.
And it claims to come from their "Preferred Customer Division"..(which can't possibly exist),
..from an "L. Schweber"  (12th cousin, 18 times removed from Mrs. Butterworth, herself a fictional character, but I digress...)

Now here's a question:
WHY would I trust anything inside, if I already know the envelope the offer arrived in is totally made-up bullsh*t?  (Sort of like: "We'll be there between Noon and 5PM to install your cable.)

I honestly can't think of a SINGLE commercial these days which isn't dishonest in some way.

LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

About lying to customers, I remember someone saying something like, "Most adults have the intelligence to know when they're being lied to. They know bullshait when they see/hear it."

OperatorStandingBy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OperatorStandingBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 3:16pm

Now here's a question:

LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Mail such as that just drives me up the wall.

One of my previous jobs was at a mail processing facility, and one of the things I did was sort incoming mail by class.  I learned to identify "junk" mail by looking at the postage class and if it was "standard", then I could safely assume that it was junk.  I do that with my mail even now. 
"I believe......if Cialis really works, shouldn't that couple be in the same bathtub?" - Bill Engvall
raynjuls View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raynjuls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 4:06pm
The constant use of BAD hip hop music in commercials...  I'm not a fan in the first place, but when it is sugar coated to sell a product, it is horrific

When a true genius enters the world, you will know him by this sign; all the dunces will be in confederacy against him....
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by raynjuls raynjuls wrote:

The constant use of BAD hip hop music in commercials...  I'm not a fan in the first place, but when it is sugar coated to sell a product, it is horrific

This!  There's a current Walmart Christmas commercial that uses a really obnoxious hip hop song to show a bunch of kids getting overly excited about gifts.  Every time I hear it come on, I want to rip my ears off.

The holiday season is a rough one for commercial haters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic