Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mother's Day Hallmark Manipulation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windycitykitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mother's Day Hallmark Manipulation.
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 4:10pm
Hate these commercials.  If I want to get sentimental and cry, I will do it on my own time, thank you very much.

Many people have lost their mothers,
many have lost their children,
some are painfully estranged from their adult children. 
Why make those mothers feel like crap when they are relaxing in front of the TV, minding their own business.Broken Heart
I'm not suggesting that you not advertise your cards, but do it with a lighter hand.  Jeez, how about some humor or sweetness? Not everyone's life experience is a Hallmark commercial.  Recognize!!

Sponsored Links

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 3:04am
Ahhh, the greeting card industry.  Don't even get me started.  Spending $5 on something that a person will look at once and then throw away the next day.  IMO, that's sort of the definition of a waste of money.  If I could only get all of the money back that I've been forced to spend on greeting cards over the years... LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:09am
Get 'em at The Dollar Tree.  Some cards there are only 50 cents.

As far as kids, don't even get them one.  Just give them the gift.  They don't care about the card, unless there's money in it.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

As far as kids, don't even get them one.  Just give them the gift.  They don't care about the card, unless there's money in it.

When I was a kid, my parents were like "you don't save Christmas or birthday cards, right?" and I was like nope, not really. "Would you rather have an extra $2 cash?" "Definitely."
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
windycitykit View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windycitykit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

When I was a kid, my parents were like "you don't save Christmas or birthday cards, right?" and I was like nope, not really. "Would you rather have an extra $2 cash?" "Definitely."

Yep! Agreed!  My partner and I do not exchange bd or holiday gifts anymore, just cards. We usually get them at the Dollar Tree.  For this past Valentines day, he paid $7 for a card and I almost killed him! LOL   I told him I would have rather had the $7 :p
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:33pm
No more store-bought cards for me either!

I much prefer these instead:

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:35pm
I like getting store bought cards! It is a thrill getting the right card with the exact words I want to express. Plus the reaction to the right words is priceless.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:49pm
Bad commercials matter!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:01pm
I saw one the other day that went something like...

"Getting old is like frying bacon in the nude.
You know it's going to hurt, you just don't know where!"

A Millennial View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Millennial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:02pm
"aww you spent $5 on a piece of card board, you truly love me"
I am part of the target audience....and I hate it.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:33pm
Couldn't make the whole 1:40 long video.Sleepy I used to visit Mom on Mother's Day. Nowadays life's easier, just text her or give her a Like on Facebook. 
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:03am
Fortunately, my family has never done cards.  I can't remember the last time I sent a card to anyone in my family, and I can't remember the last time I got one.

Now my wife's family...  The singlehandedly support the greeting card industry.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:19am

I give Mothers day cards to my ex (the Mother of the Fathers of my Grandkids) and cards to the Mothers of my Grandkids. This year I splurged on the Dollar Tree $1 cards.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic