Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mesothelioma Doug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mesothelioma Doug
    Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 3:00pm
"My name is Doug and I am the face of Mesothelioma..."  
This commercial is on the Fox Business channel about every 15 minutes and it's just nasty.  I know TV execs want the ad $, but don't they realize that some ads gross people out and cause them to change the channel?  I switch channels every time this ad comes on.
"My name is Gary and I am sick of Doug!"
Sorry I couldn't find a video.  
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 4:03pm
I know the constant BS class action lawsuit will wear on your last nerve.
Doug is probably gone by now but this is just straight forward honest talk, blame the lawyers.
 And those who put the toxic materials in everyday products.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:43pm

The face of mesothelioma.  LOL
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:01pm
^Dude, Your pic didn't come through.
 When I see the name lassie, I think of the adorable show about boy named Timmy and his clever dog Lassie.  Collies have the most annoying bark. We have owned them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. lassie is Irish for female.

Gary, you don't sound like a 49 year old man.
Most men our age might have been exposed.

lassie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:30pm
It's a nickname based on my last name.  
I understand that people might think it's a female, but oh well.  I doubt if anyone will conclude that a collie is posting...collies are smart, but without opposable thumbs their keyboard skills are severely lacking.  
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:34am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

^Dude, Your pic didn't come through.
 When I see the name lassie, I think of the adorable show about boy named Timmy and his clever dog Lassie.  Collies have the most annoying bark. We have owned them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. lassie is Irish for female.

Gary, you don't sound like a 49 year old man.
Most men our age might have been exposed.

Fixed that sucker.  Don't know why the last link was broken.  Thanks for the heads up Smile
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 5:07am
One of the (more horrible) law firms I worked for in San Francisco specialized in asbestos defense. That is, we defended the shipyards that exposed people to asbestos. It was the most odious work I ever did as a legal secretary, and I had to fight my conscience every day. (Aside from that, the lawyers themselves were toxic people.)

One of my duties was transcribing tapes of the attorneys reading off the medical information from deposition transcripts, how these poor people were suffering from the effects of asbestos exposure. These people were dying from mesothelioma and other horrible cancers that were a direct result of their work. Hardly any of these cases actually made it to trial, but we'd prepare all the briefs and jury instructions right up until a day before the trial was supposed to start, when the insurance companies would finally settle with the victim. Or with the estate, because the victim had died. Many of these depositions were videotaped, because everyone knew they wouldn't live long enough to make it to trial.

So as aggravating as these commercials can be, and as awful as the lawyers are, I really feel for these mesothelioma sufferers. Which is not to take away from your disdain for the commercials.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:25pm

My father was part of a class action lawsuit re asbestosis, against Johns-Manville many years ago.  Considering he never developed the disease, he got a nice chunk of change out of it.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:32pm
Well, he was a lucky man. I guess he got a nice chunk of change in case he did get sick later on.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:49pm

I assume that in a class-action lawsuit, everyone gets the same settlement.  In that case, yeah, it was a nice chunk of money if you didn't develop the disease.  But if you did develop the disease, it probably wouldn't seem like that much.  I think it was around $75,000.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by lassie lassie wrote:

It's a nickname based on my last name.  
I understand that people might think it's a female, but oh well.  I doubt if anyone will conclude that a collie is posting...collies are smart, but without opposable thumbs their keyboard skills are severely lacking.  
My Mistake their mister Lassie.
Some odd characters around here sometimes.
I have opposable thumbs and still can't type...Big smile
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:04am
$75,000 if you DID develop mesothelioma would have been a travesty. Ouch
rope View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 2:50am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

One of the (more horrible) law firms I worked for in San Francisco specialized in asbestos defense. That is, we defended the shipyards that exposed people to asbestos. It was the most odious work I ever did as a legal secretary, and I had to fight my conscience every day. (Aside from that, the lawyers themselves were toxic people.)

One of my duties was transcribing tapes of the attorneys reading off the medical information from deposition transcripts, how these poor people were suffering from the effects of asbestos exposure. These people were dying from mesothelioma and other horrible cancers that were a direct result of their work. Hardly any of these cases actually made it to trial, but we'd prepare all the briefs and jury instructions right up until a day before the trial was supposed to start, when the insurance companies would finally settle with the victim. Or with the estate, because the victim had died. Many of these depositions were videotaped, because everyone knew they wouldn't live long enough to make it to trial.

So as aggravating as these commercials can be, and as awful as the lawyers are, I really feel for these mesothelioma sufferers. Which is not to take away from your disdain for the commercials.

I once took a temporary job as a part of a "mock jury" for a mesothelioma case against Lincoln electric, alleging that their welding rods caused this old man to contract mesothelioma. This poor old man got mesothelioma as a result of working in shipyards as a welder, and our job was to imitate a jury and determine if the case had enough merit to go to trial. The majority naturally started off supporting the old man, around 80% of the mock jury participants, prior to the presentations from the prosecution and defense attorneys. After the defense lawyer made his statements, 90% of the room (excluding myself and a few others) supported Lincoln Electrics reasoning that the company wasn't to blame. It was interesting to see how good these high dollar corporate defense attorneys are at what they do, but it was also really sad that people actually bought into the crap that the defense attorney was presenting. The guy ended up dying a few days before the "mock trial" took place, and if the "mock jurys" decision was any indication, the company was likely absolved of any responsibility. I guess I share that story with you just to say I agree with you on feeling bad for the victims. Especially when slick talking subverts justice because the majority of people are easily fooled.

lassie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 3:05am
Originally posted by rope rope wrote:

I once took a temporary job as a part of a "mock jury" for a mesothelioma case against Lincoln electric, alleging that their welding rods caused this old man to contract mesothelioma. This poor old man got mesothelioma as a result of working in shipyards as a welder, and our job was to imitate a jury and determine if the case had enough merit to go to trial. The majority naturally started off supporting the old man, around 80% of the mock jury participants, prior to the presentations from the prosecution and defense attorneys. After the defense lawyer made his statements, 90% of the room (excluding myself and a few others) supported Lincoln Electrics reasoning that the company wasn't to blame. It was interesting to see how good these high dollar corporate defense attorneys are at what they do, but it was also really sad that people actually bought into the crap that the defense attorney was presenting. The guy ended up dying a few days before the "mock trial" took place, and if the "mock jurys" decision was any indication, the company was likely absolved of any responsibility. I guess I share that story with you just to say I agree with you on feeling bad for the victims. Especially when slick talking subverts justice because the majority of people are easily fooled.

[/QUOTE]
lassie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 3:10am
Oops.  I'm still not sure how to respond to a person's post.
I was trying to respond to Rope's post...Cool story, I knew that mock trials went on, but I never realized they did them to test out the jury's reactions.  
lassie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 3:12am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8324/doug5az.jpg
The face of mesothelioma.  LOL

Ha Ha, I love it!  I was a big fan of Doug.  Not the one in the ad, but the one in the cartoon.  I believe his name was Doug Funny.  (Now I think I'll see if it's on Netflix)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic