Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McDonalds-Unapologetic Big Mac (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McDonalds-Unapologetic Big Mac (video)
    Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 2:39pm
At the end, the 5 familier notes you always hear, "Bah dah bah bah bah"  I ain't lovin, never did.
Isn't it time to move on to something new, please?

Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2...Say what?
Sponsored Links

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 2:57pm
The ending is really the only part that bugs me. I'm cool with the "this is what we sell, deal with it" message.

Not that McD's isn't guilty too, but it's pretty sad when businesses have to change their product(s).. or feel like they have to change it, because some percentage of people whine "that's not good for you", or whatever.

You've known all your life that a double cheeseburger from a fast food joint isn't healthy, neither are delicious chocolate sandwich creme cookies. Here's what you do with that information: CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF. 

OH NOES! BIG MAC HAS TEH TRANS FATS! EVERYONE GET OUT YOUR SHARPIES AND POSTER BOARDS, WE MUST STOP THIS TRAVESHEMOCKERY!!!

xxxxs

Wink
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:01pm

I guess it's working.  I see they've been using "I'm lovin' it" now for 12 years.  Kids in the 9th grade don't remember a time when this jingle wasn't being used!

All their earlier jingles only lasted a few years.  "McDonalds is your kind of place..." was one of the longer-running ones, but still lasted only 4 years.  

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:45pm
Remember once upon a time when McD's was associated with names like Grimace, the Hamburglar, and the Fry Guys?  Mention those to kids & teenagers today and they'll have no clue what the hell you're talking about.  How times have changed.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:52pm
I still remember when McDonald's slogan was "Smile" in the early 00s! Then they flipped to 'i'm lovin it" around late 2003. 

-crainbebo
Sick and tired of Charter Spectrum (and Flo!)
EasyChango View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyChango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 6:21pm
McDonalds has a problem with the millenials, and they are a bigger group than the boomers.  I don't think a "take it or leave it" attitude is going to help their sales.

peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

The ending is really the only part that bugs me. I'm cool with the "this is what we sell, deal with it" message.

Not that McD's isn't guilty too, but it's pretty sad when businesses have to change their product(s).. or feel like they have to change it, because some percentage of people whine "that's not good for you", or whatever.

You've known all your life that a double cheeseburger from a fast food joint isn't healthy, neither are delicious chocolate sandwich creme cookies. Here's what you do with that information: CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF. 

OH NOES! BIG MAC HAS TEH TRANS FATS! EVERYONE GET OUT YOUR SHARPIES AND POSTER BOARDS, WE MUST STOP THIS TRAVESHEMOCKERY!!!

xxxxs

Wink

OMG!  Did you really invoke The C Word there, Darthy?  You better run for the hills!  "Someone Who Shall Remain Nameless" might shower you with their wrath!  LOL  Tongue
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 7:04pm
Big Macs haven't been juicy since I don't know when.  All the McD meat looks gray and tastes like cardboard.

I don't mind the unapologetic, not for vegans and other health nuts approach, but it's not true that a Big Mac looks like that when you get one.  The real size is half that height!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 7:12pm
^ It is a poorly put together bunch of cold meat, warm lettuce and someones special sauce, you don't want to know.
Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2...Say what?
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyChango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 7:13pm
^ ..half that height

True!!  The burgers themselves are thin slabs that are nothing like what is shown.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

xxxxs

Wink

OMG!  Did you really invoke The C Word there, Darthy?  You better run for the hills!  "Someone Who Shall Remain Nameless" might shower you with their wrath!  LOL  Tongue

Nah, I actually typed the 4 Xs myself, just for kicks.

Hear that, Nameless One! Settle down. No need to be a 4X.

Damn, did it again.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by EasyChango EasyChango wrote:

McDonalds has a problem with the millenials, and they are a bigger group than the boomers.  I don't think a "take it or leave it" attitude is going to help their sales.

Every generation is bigger than the last, usually. 

That's why I put the part in there about McD's being guilty too. They've put plenty of new things on the menu for the millenials. If this commercial about "we're not changing this sandwich" causes a 3-week millenial boycott, I'm sure they'll manage to stay in business. There are 4 McD's within 10 minutes of my house, and if you drive by any one of them at lunch time, the line for the drive thru is around the building.

Because, you know, we're lovin it.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:49pm
We have two McDonald's here. One near the now defunct Kmart and one near Walmart*!

Fun fact: when Walmart first opened in 1995 it had a McDonald's in it!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 9:06pm

^ ..half that height

True!!  The burgers themselves are thin slabs that are nothing like what is shown.

That's not all that much of an exaggeration, either LOL

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyChango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 9:18pm
^ ROFL! LOL LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 9:23pm

They've put plenty of new things on the menu for the millenials. 

Is that who buys all that stuff?  I don't eat McDonalds food anymore, but if I was going to, it'd only be their burgers.  That's what McDonalds is---a burger place, not a chicken sandwich place or a salad place or a fish place.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyChango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 9:43pm

Every generation is bigger than the last, usually. 

That's why I put the part in there about McD's being guilty too. They've put plenty of new things on the menu for the millenials. If this commercial about "we're not changing this sandwich" causes a 3-week millenial boycott, I'm sure they'll manage to stay in business. There are 4 McD's within 10 minutes of my house, and if you drive by any one of them at lunch time, the line for the drive thru is around the building.

Because, you know, we're lovin it.

Gen X still has not overtaken the boomers and the boomers are declining fast.  But my main point was that millenials, as a percentage, are more likely to choose so-called 'healthy' alternatives.

There was a story on one of the financial channels this morning, talking about McDonalds stock price being down since May, in a bull market, with earnings down too - saying that McDs needs a new approach because the millenials are not as loyal as the boomers were.

As to local observations, yes, I see those lines too.  It's the future for McDonalds that is in question.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:31pm
Long after we've forgotten about this commercial and our discussion of it, I'm sure McDs will overhaul their menu and adjust to the times. They'll have to to stay afloat.. I get that.

I'm just on my soap box about the message because, as an old fogey, I'm getting tired of watching old favorites vanish or getting changed beyond recognition because someone who was punished by time outs and got a trophy for participation and now thinks he/she is entitled to everything complained about it. 

This spot feels like a tiny victory for us old folks. LOL
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

We have two McDonald's here. One near the now defunct Kmart and one near Walmart*!

Fun fact: when Walmart first opened in 1995 it had a McDonald's in it!

Our first Walmart had an indoor McDonalds which seemed odd as there was a regular McDonalds less than a block away on the same side of the street. After a few years the inside one suddenly morphed into a Subway.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

^ ..half that height

That's not all that much of an exaggeration, either LOL

One of my all time favorite films.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyChango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:30pm

I'm just on my soap box about the message because, as an old fogey, I'm getting tired of watching old favorites vanish or getting changed beyond recognition because someone who was punished by time outs and got a trophy for participation and now thinks he/she is entitled to everything complained about it. 

This spot feels like a tiny victory for us old folks. LOL

I'm no spring chicken - my 'time outs' were a belt across a bare butt Ouch

I'm with you on that soapbox, and I actually like the message.

In the '90s I coached girls softball for 4 years.  The parents tried to get started on the "We don't need to keep score" thing.  I was against them and the girls backed me up.  Those girls wanted to keep score, and the league stayed that way officially.  Those were fun days...

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:52pm
If the Big Mac didn't have that third slice of bread in the middle, it would be the same size as a double cheese burger. No one goes to McDonalds for a healthy meal anyway.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 12:46am
Easy: Hats off for keeping the competition in competition.

Tiz: The Big King is better for that very reason.. bigger patties of meat. I worked at a McD's back in the day, and they had 2 sizes of meat.. regular and quarter pounder. You're absolutely right, Big Mac gets 2 regular patties, just like a McDouble and a Double cheeseburger..

On a side note, the only difference between a McDouble and a Double Cheeseburger is one slice of cheese. But I think in these parts that makes a 40 cent difference.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 12:46am
I too am pretty sick of the "Bah bah bah bah, We're pandering to the ghetto" theme, although like rap or sh*tty pop music it seems like it's gonna be with us forever.

But who knows? Rome fell after over 1000 years, and other companies have ditched slogans after having them for even longer than "I'm Lovin It".

The commercial itself is fine, sans the announcer whose voice is irritating.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 12:52am

Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

xxxxs

Wink

Nah, I actually typed the 4 Xs myself, just for kicks.

Hear that, Nameless One! Settle down. No need to be a 4X.

Damn, did it again.

LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic