Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mac vs. PC dumb ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac vs. PC dumb ads
    Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 8:39pm
I'm getting sick and tired of the useless-ass waste of time Mac versus PC ads. First of all, the geeky-ass PC guy reminds me of a former boss whom I couldn't stand, and that equally geeky (supposedly cool) guy for MACS gets on my nerves everytime I see his smug ass. Too bad the only job he could get after the Die Hard With a Vengeance suck-fest didn't permanently place him in the unemployment line. I mean really, who the hell uses a MAC? Now I know I'll get all kinds of people and their fathers telling me "I USE A MAC, GODDAMIT!" but really, in the real world, you are very likely to run in with compatibility issues, and when you say what operating system do you use they respond with "It's a MAC." which results in 'ooohhhh's" and knowing nods of those of us PC users who can actually load software on our systems. And who can't help the MAC users 'cause, well, no one uses them. My apologies to you if you're writing a hostile reply to this on a mac.Wink

And why would anyone listen to what this jean wearing Gen-Exer has to say about what's cool anyway? The PC guy probably had a job as an IT tech paying about $50,000 a year and the guy in jeans probably works at MAC donalds for $7.15 an hour.

Oh, but he's got a MAC, so he must be cool.
Sponsored Links

kk218 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kk218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 11:43pm
Why are PC users so ignorant when it comes to "software compatibility?"

You can pretty much run anything on a Mac that runs on a PC these days now that Apple uses Intel chips (viruses being the exception).
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Vlad The Impaler Vlad The Impaler wrote:

And why would anyone listen to what this jean wearing Gen-Exer has to say about what's cool anyway? The PC guy probably had a job as an IT tech paying about $50,000 a year and the guy in jeans probably works at MAC donalds for $7.15 an hour.

Oh, but he's got a MAC, so he must be cool.

All I know is, in the latest commercial, they BOTH look like they're wearing toupees.

Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

All I know is, in the latest commercial, they BOTH look like they're wearing toupees.

LOLLOLLOL

Well, I was going to call them both asshats.LOL

LOL
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 1:51am
Originally posted by kk218 kk218 wrote:

Why are PC users so ignorant when it comes to "software compatibility?"

You can pretty much run anything on a Mac that runs on a PC these days now that Apple uses Intel chips (viruses being the exception).

Don't know. Just know of 2 real world examples. Today in class an instructor gave us a CD with homework assignments. One MAC user couldn't upload. Several PC techs in class couldn't help mainly because the MAC wasn't recognizing the CD. ALL PC users were able to see it fine.

Had a similar experience as a Tech for a real estate company. EVERYONE used a PC - except one person who couldn't load certain files. Why? Who knows? I have yet to see professional certifications assessed to "MAC" users alone. All A+ exams don't even mention MACs. Why? You tell me.

The impression I get among my fellow students in College is: "Why do you use a MAC?"

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 2:30am

Awwwwwwwww...for Chrissakes!!!!

ARCHITECTURE.

Pleauzzze!

Just because you have an Intel Chip doesn't mean 'your good to go with whatever you want to run on the 'friggin' machine!',

Supported instruction sets.

Microcode.

...and a few other 'anomalies'...

We can talk.

Glad to.

In regard to IT and 'computer science';

We NEED some 'REAL' brains, these days - honestly? we've run drastically LOW on them, in the IT field. We've got a LOT of 'wannabees'...

Different machines and differnet operating systems all have their very own little special places in the real world - and thus, why they continue to exist. The REAL successes come when you are able to determine the right machine, the right OS, and the right application to meet the business challenge you've been supplied - and your ability to, well...possibly, actually program an application (if not an OS, a driver of some sort, a NETWORK connection, an underlying transaction processor, a gateway, a firewall, domain services...et al...).

I could give a sh*t what a MAC can do - outside of 'publishing and marketing' applications; that is nothing more than 'working the periphery'. 
MACs are not ready for REAL 'sensitive' applications and data...nowhere near it. Keep 'em in schools and the kitchen, for recipes...or, for the most part, disconnected from the 'real' machines (they really do not 'play well', and are a REAL risk) - leave them for the 'Marketing Geeks'...  

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:02am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Awwwwwwwww...for Chrissakes!!!!

ARCHITECTURE.

Pleauzzze!

Just because you have an Intel Chip doesn't mean 'your good to go with whatever you want to run on the 'friggin' machine!',

Supported instruction sets.

Microcode.

...and a few other 'anomalies'...

We can talk.

Glad to.

In regard to IT and 'computer science';

We NEED some 'REAL' brains, these days - honestly? we've run drastically LOW on them, in the IT field. We've got a LOT of 'wannabees'...

Different machines and differnet operating systems all have their very own little special places in the real world - and thus, why they continue to exist. The REAL successes come when you are able to determine the right machine, the right OS, and the right application to meet the business challenge you've been supplied - and your ability to, well...possibly, actually program an application (if not an OS, a driver of some sort, a NETWORK connection, an underlying transaction processor, a gateway, a firewall, domain services...et al...).

I could give a sh*t what a MAC can do - outside of 'publishing and marketing' applications; that is nothing more than 'working the periphery'. 
MACs are not ready for REAL 'sensitive' applications and data...nowhere near it. Keep 'em in schools and the kitchen, for recipes...or, for the most part, disconnected from the 'real' machines (they really do not 'play well', and are a REAL risk) - leave them for the 'Marketing Geeks'...  

Huh???????????????????Ermm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:11am
oh...sorry - I was looking at kk218's 'contribution' - and reacting to THAT - it bit me rather deep - as a general remark from an 'undereducated and  uninformed' individual... 
CurryMan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurryMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:18am
Every one of these ads can be summed up in two sentences:

"Hi! I'm a douchebag..."
"...and I'm a spineless jellyfish paid to stand here and pull off the formidable task of somehow looking inferior to the douchebag."

"I will stand upon my head 'til my ears are turning red
Pussycow, pussycow, pussycow!"
kk218 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kk218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:44am
No, the Intel chips doesn't mean any software can just run on Windows and Mac from the same CD, but because they use Intel it's now much easier to convert the coding into Mac form and it is evident by all the additional software that has been released since they switched to it.

Mac v. PC commercials suck, but if you ever used a PC and switched to Mac, you'd realize how simple a task it really can be.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:55am
Originally posted by CurryMan CurryMan wrote:

Every one of these ads can be summed up in two sentences:

"Hi! I'm a douchebag..."
"...and I'm a spineless jellyfish paid to stand here and pull off the formidable task of somehow looking inferior to the douchebag."

2 dumbass douchebags advertising a product. Hmmm how familiar. MAC if you're listening to this at ALL please remove your dumb-ass dipsh*t ads from public consumption, you suck ass, and yeah MACS are cool in terms of usability. But no one uses them so go fu*k yourselves. And all PC users look down on MACS. Get real. When I take an A+ certification exam that has "MAC" questions on it then maybe I'll pay attention. Otherwise you and your jeans wearing Gen-Exer idiot can tell me all the cool music to listen to and the cool hairstyles but, hey. Let me know how much you make compared to the PC user and stop Bullsh*tting us.

And when I put a CD-ROM in the f*cking thing is it gonna load? Let me get you straight on COLLEGE CAMPUSES where all the cool people hang out. We use PCs, 'kay? Is that enough marketing info for your dumb asses? Geez.....
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Vlad The Impaler Vlad The Impaler wrote:

And when I put a CD-ROM in the f*cking thing is it gonna load? Let me get you straight on COLLEGE CAMPUSES where all the cool people hang out. We use PCs, 'kay? Is that enough marketing info for your dumb asses? Geez.....

This was my main complaint with the latest commercial where PC is hiding in a pizza box to attract college kids. What the hell, where did they get statistics that support that more college kids have Macs? Nope! As a college kid who's visited other schools, I've only ever seen one kid using a Mac. Everyone else who's click clacking away during or between classes on their laptops are using, gasp, A PC! It's like they're at the point that they're just making crap up.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 7:55am
I'd rather watch 'Mac and Toupee'...I mean PCLOL...any day over the thankfully now-defunct  'The Ambiguously Gay Seinfeld and Gates' campaign.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 8:50am
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

I'd rather watch 'Mac and Toupee'...I mean PCLOL...any day over the thankfully now-defunct  'The Ambiguously Gay Seinfeld and Gates' campaign.

Take MACS and shove them up the asses of any who use them. Like I said, college campuses do not use them, business do not use them, the IT world does not use them. I couldn't even use it as a good excuse to get in a girl's pants. This hottie that I sit next to in one of my classes had some problem installing a CD from a textbook. And of course, me being the IT whiz that I am (and the red-blooded American Male) said "oh I can do it for ya!" with a gleam in my eye.

She says "it's a MAC" and all hope immediately went out of the situation. It was like taking a cold shower.

She's still a hottie though.Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:24pm
It wouldn't be very PC to take advantage of a college hottie who needs a big Mac installation.

kuribo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuribo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 3:51pm
yeah these commercials piss me off and make me want to go play Crysis
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It wouldn't be very PC to take advantage of a college hottie who needs a big Mac installation.

Thor! EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedLOLWink
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 8:38pm

Thor's pickup line:

"Hi, I'm a mack(daddy)..and I'm not PC."Wink
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 7:56am
These guys need a severe case of facial syphillis. Yes we get it Steve Jobs and Bill gates aren't exchanging Valentine's anymore. Geez it's like listening to two adolescents in a locker room playing mine's bigger.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:15pm
favorite one is the one with the fake test pattern

but this is the best...spoof.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 5:06am
--warning: nerd rant--
Huh, most nerds at my school use Linux. I wouldn't even have Windows if it wasn't for the games. And the fact that I'm a Windows system administrator. Of course, the vast majority of all OOTB consumer software is written for Windows exclusively, so it's pretty inescapable. We have about 400 Windows boxes, 200 Linux, and maybe 15-20 Macs. Of course, Mac OSX is built on BSD (a Unix derivative, like Linux) so they're basically Linux users.

That aside, the Mac commercials bug the crap out of me. I wouldn't even get my paycheck if not for our Windows machines - the financial guys have to use IE for that sort of thing.

As for Windows software being 'easy to port' to Mac, absolutely wrong. OSX doesn't implement the Windows API, meaning that software will have to be completely rewritten, unless built on non-Windows API programming. Omitted in the above argument, of course, is the fact that Macs can now run Windows. So they're basically a Windows machine in a pretty box with a different OS (much of which is available for free) for $400+ dollars more.

As for security - my aunt is an avid Mac user and has fallen for phishing schemes more than once. Just last week, she 'somehow' got her credit card numbers stolen. To me, this points to complacency - the idea that Mac users are somehow immune to any computerized criminal activity.

Lastly, the fact that Windows viruses don't run on Mac is because they write viruses for the widest possible audience, which doesn't include Mac users. I haven't had a single piece of malware on any of my machines for 2 years. The truth is that, yeah, Macs are indeed more secure. Being built on BSD is a huge benefit to security - it's regarded as the most secure OS in the world. However, there are entire books about writing rootkits for BSD.

--nerd rant over--
ironwolf56 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironwolf56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 9:42pm
I never got the whole "Macs are much more reliable than PCs" either.  Every friend I've had that is a Mac user has had some serious unhappy times when their Mac decides to fry a card or forget it has a DVD drive because it's...I dunno Wednesday or something.  Plus if you screw up a PC you can go in (or find a friend that's tech-savvy) and usually fix it, barring that grab some discount replacement parts from a few dozen websites out there.  A Mac...well get ready for your baby to have a 3 month vacation at an Apple tech center while it runs a couple grand on your credit card.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 9:54pm
Type Mac in all caps one more time and I'm just going to ban you for being stupid.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:13pm
why Nathan? Do you have a problem with word MACin big bold CAPITAL letters? LOL

yeah, he should cut it out.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 6:29pm
Mac isn't an acronym like PC, which stands for Personal Computer.
Mac is short for Macintosh, which has been the product name of Apple's computers since 1984.
People who type MAC over and over while they spout their outdated whines about Macs are boneheads.

PS to the bonehead - everyone in my industry uses a Mac. Everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic