Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lays - Gross Nail Salon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lays - Gross Nail Salon
    Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:32pm
Lays is back with more overly sensualization of greasy ass potato chips.

I hate the single loud CRUNCH that comes from the front desk girl. Really? Is she not chewing these chips at all? Then she reaches for the phone without wiping her hands which other people have to use. You literally can't eat Lays without getting grease fingers so that is nasty.

Then the girl getting her nails done can't control herself because Lays are so f**king good right? Dead She goes over and STEALS the chips (classic ad cliche) because they're so good she has to have some right now. It predictably ruins her freshly painted nails by dusting them with greasy chip flakes.

Then the manicurist says nothing and just continues, basically giving her 2 paint jobs for the price of one. This would never happen in real life. THEN cut to the "so wrong yet to right" orgasmic face the woman makes at the end while chewing her ill gotten grease flakes.

I like Lays chips, I do, I just don't buy them for myself. This ad actually makes me repulsed and makes me think of the greasy feeling my fingers get after eating them. Not something you want your target audience to recall while selling your product.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Sponsored Links

Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 12:18am
I saw this commercial a few days ago, and I thought the same thing. It totally grossed me out.

If you are trying to sell a FOOD product, isn't beneficial to make it actually look appetizing to the consumer? It seems like gross food ads are happening more and more nowadays.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 12:35am

I hope the manicurist isn't starting over.  I hope she's just painting over the grease and crumbs on the customer's fingernails.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 1:10am
ConfusedThis is one ugly commercial, indeed - I just do not see 'dropping everything' for a friggin' chip.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 1:58am
I kinda liked this one...no clue why.

But repeat viewings are kind of enhancing the grossness.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 2:32am
Yet another commercial where someone goes crazy over a 99-cent commonplace snack. Have you ever, EVER seen someone that addicted to Lays chips, especially the original flavor?
ADamant View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADamant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 6:54am
Yes, gross. But who gets chip pieces on their nails? I mean, was she digging around in the bottom of the bag or something?

Also, I can't stand the quasi-sensual finger licking/sucking around :05 to :07. Reminds me of all the seductive finger licking going on in the videos in this York Peppermint Patties thread.

And to top it all off, now whenever I listen to Bread, I'm going to think of this horrible commercial. Thanks, Lay's!
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 1:02am
I don't really care for Lays, they just don't really seem to have much flavor. Personally I like Gibble's Red Hot potato chips and Muncho's. 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
valschoolrn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valschoolrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 5:38am
Gag-worthy!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I don't really care for Lays, they just don't really seem to have much flavor. Personally I like Gibble's Red Hot potato chips and Muncho's. 

Back in the olden days, they only came in one flavor---potato.  That's all we had, and we were damned happy to have it, by golly.

I remember when ridged chips (Ruffles) came out.  It was big news in the potato chip world.  LOL

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Back in the olden days, they only came in one flavor---potato.  That's all we had, and we were damned happy to have it, by golly.

I remember when ridged chips (Ruffles) came out.  It was big news in the potato chip world.  LOL

I remember BBQ chips when I was a kid. I think they were Nalley.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 4:21pm
Charles Chips used to be delivered right to our door!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 4:29pm

Awwwwww p'shaw!!!

You know derned good'n well that there wuz both bar-b-q & sour cream'n onion chips back when we wuz young'ns!!!

Don't be-a tellin' them thar tall tales!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Charles Chips used to be delivered right to our door!

My best friend's family used to get them delivered to their house.

Thought they were real highfalutin' because of it, too.

We always got Lay's in da' bag.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 6:34pm
ConfusedOne might suspect if one has potato chips delivered to the front door, they've a set of misguided priorities. Should at least come with a proper beer.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 2:20pm
Ugh.... I saw this commercial for the first time the other day and the part at the end where it shows her nails with the polish and chip crumbs all mixed together made me gag. This commercial is disgusting. 
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Awwwwww p'shaw!!!

You know derned good'n well that there wuz both bar-b-q & sour cream'n onion chips back when we wuz young'ns!!!

Don't be-a tellin' them thar tall tales!!!

I don't recall any flavored chips from back when I was a kid.  In fact, I see that Lays' first flavored chip was barbecue, and it was introduced in 1965.  If there were flavored chips long before that, they weren't any famous brand.

In fact, I see that some brand in Ireland called Tayto was the first to introduce flavored chips in the late 50s.  Never heard of them.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 2:50pm
^^^CryI resemble those days.
We were too poor...could never afford those expensive chips. Being Irish, we just ate potatoes and pretended. Those were the days of 'feast or famine', and for poor Irish, well...it was just famine.
In fact, I think I almost starved to death.
Then we remembered we had an Italian-side to our family, and they gave us chips from Chicago.
Don't recall what brand.
Pretty sure they were 'plain'.
I remember going to the zoo on a sweltering Sunday, eating chips, chips, more chips, and peanuts. With a few grape slurpees.
The puke was purple.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:07pm

I don't recall any flavored chips from back when I was a kid.  In fact, I see that Lays' first flavored chip was barbecue, and it was introduced in 1965.  If there were flavored chips long before that, they weren't any famous brand.

In fact, I see that some brand in Ireland called Tayto was the first to introduce flavored chips in the late 50s.  Never heard of them.

You must be one helluva lot older than I thought you were.

Because I woulda thought that in 1965 you were probably still a kid.

I know I ate BBQ potato chips all the time as a kid.

Probably didn't "graduate" to SC&O flavored until my teens.

I remember my buddy D. Jack & me getting high as kites after school one day, hitting the mini mart & getting a bag of SC&O chips & a tub of onion dip, then going behind the building, sitting down in the grass up against the wall, chowing down on chips & dip, laughing our asses off.

Just one of those odd, random memories that stick in your mind for some reason.

I could probably include a Google map aerial view pic of the spot behind the store where we sat, but that'd be a bit much.

Tempting, though.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

We were too poor...could never afford those expensive chips. Being Irish, we just ate potatoes and pretended.

Pa's family was so poor, if they wanted potato chips, they'd have to slice up a bunch of potatoes & set them out in the hot sun until they turned crisp.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:21pm

You must be one helluva lot older than I thought you were.

Because I woulda thought that in 1965 you were probably still a kid.

I know I ate BBQ potato chips all the time as a kid.

Probably didn't "graduate" to SC&O flavored until my teens.

Okay---from 0-10 years of age, I didn't even have the opportunity to eat flavored chips as they didn't even exist here in the USA. 

Once again, imagine we had an eye-rolling smiley and I placed it right here.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:43pm

Okay---from 0-10 years of age, I didn't even have the opportunity to eat flavored chips as they didn't even exist here in the USA. 

Once again, imagine we had an eye-rolling smiley and I placed it right here.

Hey, bub... I can play that nit-picking, hair-splitting game just as good as you can!!!

And you need to spend some time studying the extended smiley catalog a bit, because once again, we DO have an eye-rolling smiley. It may not be an animated one, but it's in mid eye-roll, which serves the same purpose.

Let's get with the program, eh?

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:43pm

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

We were too poor...could never afford those expensive chips. Being Irish, we just ate potatoes and pretended.

Pa's family was so poor, if they wanted potato chips, they'd have to slice up a bunch of potatoes & set them out in the hot sun until they turned crisp.

ConfusedEmbarrassedoh...yea. That happened.
~~~
All of this chatter got me wondering what some of the 'stranger flavors' of chips exist on the global market. It gets strange, fast.
(note the 'Roast Ox' flavor, amongst others (almost looks like Henry Rollins on the bag...)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:47pm
^^ I hope they remove those furry tails before baggin 'em!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 3:56pm
^^^Gotta watch out for Walker's - those are the European Lay's chips, and they get weird fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic