Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lay's Do Us A Flavor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lay's Do Us A Flavor
    Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:27pm
I can't give a thumbs up or a thumbs down in the subject field because we liked some and disliked others.  So last year Lay's did their "test market" chips and had Chicken and Waffles flavour, Sriracha and Cheesy Garlic Bread.  All three were reasonably good.

This year they seem to have completely lost their minds and came out with the craziest flavours.  I don't mind trying crazy things out, but this tested even my limits!  

First Mr. Aleen and I tried the Mango Salsa chips.  They were OK.  We enjoyed them and both agreed that we'd probably never crave this flavour again, but they were OK.

We were both terrified to try the Cappuccino and rightly so.  We each tried two chips and threw the rest of them out.  Blech!!!!  Mr. Aleen loves both cappuccino and chips (I only like chips, lol) and he was disgusted by these!

The third flavour:  Wasabi Ginger.  I don't like wasabi, so I disqualified myself from offering an opinion on these.  I tried one and didn't like it.  Mr. Aleen loves wasabi and didn't mind them.  Sort of the same way he felt about the Mango Salsa chips.

The final flavour:  Bacon Mac and Cheese.  Of course this one is going to win by a longshot.  The other flavours were a bit too "out there."  Obviously Lay's wants to manufacture this flavour, so they put it against crazy flavours.  We tried them and liked them.  Some people say that the flavour was too weak, but I could taste both bacon and cheese.  They were fine.

So there you have it!  Perhaps I should insert the sound of the "Price is Right losing horn" in here.

Yep.
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:02pm
WinkThanks, aleen...you've saved humanity by saving the pain of forcing history to repeat itself.
We've never tried ANY of them, have never had the desire, although we love chips and the ingredients seperated.
The 'UpChuckachino' chips invoke specific invountary bodily functions whenever I see them.
'Wasabi' and 'Lays' are two words not meant to ever go together.
Lays can claim whatever winner they wish - I cannot even fathom springing for a bag of any of these.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:07am
I tried all four of the new Lays Flavors. The Cappuccino one tasted the worst. Coffee flavored chips is so unappealing. The Mango Salsa was very good, and one of my favorites.. Salty and Sweet were done right in this chip.The Wasabi and Ginger was okay, but Wasabi should be strong enough to be able to clear up sinuses and ginger should have a sweet spicy kick to it. This chip just tasted like salty, seasoned chips. The bacon and cheese chips just tasted like normal cheesy chips. Not bad, but not great...
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:51am
Cappuccino? Yeah I'm sure EVERYONE was lining up to vote for that one! Something tells me this competition is rigged.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 1:19am

The only one that sounds good to me is the "Cheesy Garlic Bread".

My neighbor got the Cappucino ones recently.  I took a whiff.  Awful.  But I don't like coffee or any coffee-related flavors, anyway, so I'm not one to judge these.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 1:55am
I've seen these Cappuccino chips in the store.

All I could think was, does cappuccino have salt in it?

I don't think so.

But, as far as I know, all potato chips are salted.

Unless these have sugar on them.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Cappuccino? Yeah I'm sure EVERYONE was lining up to vote for that one! Something tells me this competition is rigged.
LOLYa think?!!!Wink
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The only one that sounds good to me is the "Cheesy Garlic Bread".

My neighbor got the Cappucino ones recently.  I took a whiff.  Awful.  But I don't like coffee or any coffee-related flavors, anyway, so I'm not one to judge these.

I could imagine them being OK as long as they weren't salted.

I cannot see how coffee flavoring could possibly go with the taste of salt.

But then again, of they had sugar on them, as they would almost have to, I'd hesitate to even call them potato chips.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 3:16am
The Cappuccino chips have cinnamon powder on them.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 3:19am
Maybe I'll try a small bag of them.

If they have them in small bags.

C'mon, man!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 3:23am
I've tried the Bacon Mac and the Mango Salsa. Bacon Mac were good, I could taste both the bacon and cheese flavors...and after trying ONE bag, I can't find them anywhere now. Mango Salsa aren't bad, but it's not a flavor I'd necessarily want all the time, either. Haven't tried the other 2, and I won't go anywhere near the cappucino flavor, that sounds repugnant.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic